PDA

View Full Version : Cars & Transport How can I remove a windscreen scratch?

ofimart
31-01-2013, 19:41
I have an annoying light scratch on my windscreen( right in my line of vision when I drive). It was caused by a little bit of grit under the windscreen wiper when they were switched on. Any suggestions how to remove it ?? I've had suggestions that with a bit of elbow grease brasso will remove it , or maybe someone can recommend a product that will do the job before I buy some brasso.

Thanks in advance , Jacquie. :pray:

Fivepence
31-01-2013, 20:04
I have an annoying light scratch on my windscreen( right in my line of vision when I drive). It was caused by a little bit of grit under the windscreen wiper when they were switched on. Any suggestions how to remove it ?? I've had suggestions that with a bit of elbow grease brasso will remove it , or maybe someone can recommend a product that will do the job before I buy some brasso.

Thanks in advance , Jacquie. :pray:

Found this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1ov-1vWuz0) Jacquie but must admit that I don't know if it works.

I think it depends how deep the scratch is. :goodluck:

ofimart
31-01-2013, 20:21
Found this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1ov-1vWuz0) Jacquie but must admit that I don't know if it works.

I think it depends how deep the scratch is. :goodluck:

Aww thanks for taking the time and trouble to post that ,( interesting). I'm wondering though if salt would make it worse?? ( It's only a light scratch, nothing deep by the way .) I would say though to you all out there, next time it rains here wipe/check under your windscreen wipers before you put them on as we use them so rarely here and I guess there was some dust or grit sitting on top of my wipers.
Jacquie .

slodgedad
01-02-2013, 02:47
The last car I had in the UK had one and I triwd everything, including the tip above,

When I traded it, it still had it..I was told, at the time, that I'd have to live with it or get a new windscreen.

doingok
01-02-2013, 08:27
They is a garage in the golf that can polish it out for you not sure what he will charge though but seen him do head light damaged by the sun and they came up like new,he only used M3 scratch remover with a power tool.

ofimart
01-02-2013, 09:49
The last car I had in the UK had one and I triwd everything, including the tip above,

When I traded it, it still had it..I was told, at the time, that I'd have to live with it or get a new windscreen.

I did think a new windscreen would be the way to go but if I can get it polished out then great .

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

They is a garage in the golf that can polish it out for you not sure what he will charge though but seen him do head light damaged by the sun and they came up like new,he only used M3 scratch remover with a power tool.

Do you mean 3M scratch remover ? If any one happens to have this number please could they pass on and I'll see how much it would cost if possible . Thanks.

9PLUS
01-02-2013, 09:53
tap it with a sharp axe

x

ofimart
01-02-2013, 09:59
tap it with a sharp axe

x
I know what you are suggesting (I think ?) . It's only a light (annoying) scratch ,I'm sure there is a way to get rid of. I've looked on amazon and there are products that claim to do the job.

doingok
01-02-2013, 12:42
Hi sorry i lost the number but was down there to day so number is 664772772 ian but it's rob who would do it for you so ask for him.

I did think a new windscreen would be the way to go but if I can get it polished out then great .

Do you mean 3M scratch remover ? If any one happens to have this number please could they pass on and I'll see how much it would cost if possible . Thanks.

ofimart
01-02-2013, 14:58

If possible could you tell me the name of the garage and whereabouts on the Golf it is , I'll pop down there so they can have a look. Thank you. J.

Hi sorry i lost the number but was down there to day so number is 664772772 Ian but it's rob who would do it for you so ask for him.

Thanks I'll give them a ring to get directions to their garage. I'll post the costs incase it would help any one else with the same problem, it's handy to know. Jacquie .

universal
01-02-2013, 15:18
Brasso might be a bit harsh.
Jewellers used to use cigarette ash to polish out scratches in watch glasses.

doingok
01-02-2013, 18:28
The garage is next to augusta park big white building will have cars for sale out side it and rubble.