PDA

View Full Version : 101 things to do with lemons...?

KirstyJay
01-02-2013, 01:13
I met up with some folks I know in our village the other day and they mentioned that they'd been picking their lemons. Making casual conversation where we were talking about the whys and wherefores of taking them to the cooperativa or selling them privately, and I happened to mention in passing that I liked lemons... as you do. Next thing I know, they've given me about 5 kilos of the 'small' ones that they said they can't sell, so I seem to be overrun with lemons now and need some ideas for uses!

1) I've made a ton of lemon curd (which I gave to the people that gave me the lemons :) )
2) I can make ice-cream
3) I've used some on my taps to get rid of cal
4) I can make some lemonade

...but I need more ideas... so, 101 things to do with lemons... continue below :D

slodgedad
01-02-2013, 01:17
5) Put some in a marinade
6) Gin and Tonic

Medman
01-02-2013, 01:24
5) Put some in a marinade
6) Gin and Tonic

7) Russian Tea
8) Suck and take smile off face

Fivepence
01-02-2013, 01:46
I met up with some folks I know in our village the other day and they mentioned that they'd been picking their lemons. Making casual conversation where we were talking about the whys and wherefores of taking them to the cooperativa or selling them privately, and I happened to mention in passing that I liked lemons... as you do. Next thing I know, they've given me about 5 kilos of the 'small' ones that they said they can't sell, so I seem to be overrun with lemons now and need some ideas for uses!

1) I've made a ton of lemon curd (which I gave to the people that gave me the lemons :) )
2) I can make ice-cream
3) I've used some on my taps to get rid of cal
4) I can make some lemonade

...but I need more ideas... so, 101 things to do with lemons... continue below :D

When you roast a chicken or a turkey, cut 1 in half (lemon I mean)and shove both halves in the birds cavity.
It will make your bird tender and succulent but it doesn't taste of lemon.

Also, if you cook your own rice (as in 2 cups of rice and 4 cups of boiling water) before you turn the pan down to a gentle simmer and put the lid on............stick half a lemon into the centre of your rice.........delish. 15 mins gives you perfect rice.

AL JAY
01-02-2013, 01:51
Here's a few more!

http://localfoods.about.com/od/lemons/tp/lemonhouseholdtips.htm

And more

http://www.foe.co.uk/living/articles/handy_lemon_tips_26866.html

finca18jrl
01-02-2013, 09:40
Lemon drizzle cake....yummy

Malteser Monkey
01-02-2013, 10:39

Voila !

cressrt
01-02-2013, 10:46
Lemon Recipes http://www.cookitsimply.com/category-0020-0o690.html

& Lemon Gin! http://www.cottagesmallholder.com/lemon-gin-recipe-112/

Malteser Monkey
01-02-2013, 10:52
very basic but one of my favs with pechuga de pollo

Squeeze a lemon into a container add 3 tablespoons aceite de olivo

Sal al gusto, and plenty of crushed garlic y perejil, add the breasts ! no not yours the pechugas !:crazy:

Leave to marinade for as long as ........then fry with some of the marinade and all of the garlic bits, don't burn it tho'. Serve with salad and home made chips

Santiago
01-02-2013, 15:19
Cook up a pile of pancakes, invite your friends round, squeeze lemons onto pancakes, add a little sugar, feast and enjoy!

Then plant the seeds in pots and place in the shade around the house/patio/veranda/balcony and water regularly!

Malteser Monkey
01-02-2013, 15:29
Cook up a pile of pancakes, invite your friends round, squeeze lemons onto pancakes, add a little sugar, feast and enjoy!

Then plant the seeds in pots and place in the shade around the house/patio/veranda/balcony and water regularly!

Wow I'm going to try that ! do you need special soil ?

Summit I never thought of doing

LUCKY
01-02-2013, 15:58
:feret:Clean your'e chopping board with it:flatcap::feret::feret:

BobMac
01-02-2013, 15:59
Make your own Limocello

honda
01-02-2013, 18:06

What is left over will make good compost if mixed with organic matter and veggie waste. You can then put goodness back into the plants you are growing from the seeds and get twice as many lemons than you started with.

Better make it 201 things to do with lemons. :doh:

Santiago
01-02-2013, 22:49
Wow I'm going to try that ! do you need special soil ?

Summit I never thought of doing

Go to your local garden centre and get some potting compost (John Innes is a good one). Put the compost in a pot or deepish bowl with some stones in the bottom for drainage and press the seeds in up to about half an inch - the seeds must be fresh! I would only put about two or three seeds to a pot depending on the diameter of the pot. Water the seeds lightly then place pot in a warm light place and cover with a plastic bag. (use a bag you can see through like a freezer bag or a sandwich bag!). Water when required but don't overdo it. When the seedlings start to show after about four or five weeks let them grow up to about six or seven inches then they can be transplanted into a single pot on their own, or out into the garden - but don't plant them in the garden if the weather is cold. Use some of honda's compost to help them grow and make sure they have sufficient water!

PS. Do the same with orange seeds as well.

canarybird
02-02-2013, 11:11

This is awesome! It's a delicious, tangy lemon slice which can be served as a dessert with a mound of whipped cream on the side of the plate. And it's easy to make.

http://www.pbase.com/canarybird/image/74842984.jpg

LEMON GRAHAM SLICE

1 1/2 cups (350 mL) Graham wafer crumbs (If you can't find Graham wafers in Tenerife, substitute crushed Digestive biscuits)
1/3 cup (75 mL) packed brown sugar
1/2 teasp (2 mL) baking powder (eg Royal red envelope)
1/8 teasp (0.5 mL) salt
1/2 cup (125 mL) butter

10 oz (284 mL) sweetened condensed milk (leche condensada)
1/2 cup (125 mL) lemon juice
1 teasp (5 mL) liquid vanilla extract

Bottom Layer

Crumble first 5 ingredients together well and pack into 9 x 9 inch (22 x 22 cm) ungreased pan. Set aside.

Top Layer

Combine milk, lemon juice and vanilla in bowl and stir. Spread over bottom layer. Bake in 350°F (180°C) oven for 20 to 25 minutes. Cool and cut into 36 squares.

Source: "Company's Coming" - 150 Delicious Squares by Jean Paré (Canada)

My Note: As a dessert slice it into larger portions and serve with whipped cream.
In the photo I drizzled a little condensed milk on top with grated lemon peel.

Canarybird (Sharon)

Fivepence
02-02-2013, 11:18

This is awesome! It's a delicious, tangy lemon slice which can be served as a dessert with a mound of whipped cream on the side of the plate. And it's easy to make.

LEMON GRAHAM SLICE

1 1/2 cups (350 mL) Graham wafer crumbs (If you can't find Graham wafers in Tenerife, substitute crushed Digestive biscuits)
1/8 teasp (0.5 mL) salt
1/2 cup (125 mL) butter

Bottom Layer

Crumble first 5 ingredients together well and pack into 9 x 9 inch (22 x 22 cm) ungreased pan. Set aside.

Top Layer

Combine milk, lemon juice and vanilla in bowl and stir. Spread over bottom layer. Bake in 350°F (180°C) oven for 20 to 25 minutes. Cool and cut into 36 squares.

My Note: As a dessert slice it into larger portions and serve with whipped cream.

Canarybird (Sharon)

Sounds like Key Lime Pie Sharon, obviously using lemons instead of limes.

I bet it's delicious but not for the dieters on the forum.:laugh:

Rochelle
02-02-2013, 15:48
You can freeze lemon cut into wedges and then when you need them for a drink they act as ice too !!! Also you can squeeze them and just freeze the juice into ice cube trays...idlea for when you need lemon juice in a receipe.

Malteser Monkey
02-02-2013, 16:20

LEMON GRAHAM SLICE

1/8 teasp (0.5 mL) salt
1/2 cup (125 mL) butter

Bottom Layer

Top Layer

Canarybird (Sharon)

Don't you always have to do it - post a beautiful picture that has us drooling !:cheeky:

Thanks CB great idea

doingok
02-02-2013, 16:20
Lemon cheese cake Mmmmm

chifleta
02-02-2013, 17:29
make use of the rind too..... finely grate and add to freshly made breadcrumbs, rosemary (and parmesan cheese if you like). I make up a batch and freeze it, then just sprinkle a handful on fillet fish or turkey breast, spray with olive oil and bake in oven for 20 mins or so .....

KirstyJay
02-02-2013, 17:40
You can freeze lemon cut into wedges and then when you need them for a drink they act as ice too !!! Also you can squeeze them and just freeze the juice into ice cube trays...idlea for when you need lemon juice in a receipe.What an excellent idea!

make use of the rind too..... finely grate and add to freshly made breadcrumbs, rosemary (and parmesan cheese if you like). I make up a batch and freeze it, then just sprinkle a handful on fillet fish or turkey breast, spray with olive oil and bake in oven for 20 mins or so .....and this too. :D

This is awesome! It's a delicious, tangy lemon slice which can be served as a dessert with a mound of whipped cream on the side of the plate. And it's easy to make.Now that's just not fair.... Now I have to go out shopping for ingredients because that picture has given me no other option!!!

chifleta
02-02-2013, 17:43
Now that's just not fair.... Now I have to go out shopping for ingredients because that picture has given me no other option!!!

Yeah, I just looked in my larder to see if I had any leche condensada LOL ... I haven't... thank goodness :D

KirstyJay
02-02-2013, 17:44
Yeah, I just looked in my larder to see if I had any leche condensada LOL ... I haven't... thank goodness :DI have... just no digestives or brown sugar. Harumph :(

chifleta
02-02-2013, 21:32
I have... just no digestives or brown sugar. Harumph :(

probably a good job really LOL :)

KirstyJay
02-02-2013, 22:00
Right! Down to 2 lemons now. Thanks for all the suggestions. I really liked the idea of freezing wedges, so I've done that with quite a few. Made some lemonade for the beach tomorrow too...

cainaries
02-02-2013, 22:15
Yeah, I just looked in my larder to see if I had any leche condensada LOL ... I haven't... thank goodness :D

A house in the Canaries with real Canarians in it but no condensed milk, shame on you! How do you make coffee then?

thanks for this thread, KJ, given us lots of new ideas. Will have to make that cake especially as we have actually got all the ingredients! Good plan for tomorrow morning, I think. Enjoy your day at the beach.

KirstyJay
02-02-2013, 22:20
thanks for this thread, KJ, given us lots of new ideas.Maybe you should start one with 101 things to do with avocados... :whistle:

chifleta
02-02-2013, 22:56
A house in the Canaries with real Canarians in it but no condensed milk, shame on you! How do you make coffee then?

thanks for this thread, KJ, given us lots of new ideas. Will have to make that cake especially as we have actually got all the ingredients! Good plan for tomorrow morning, I think. Enjoy your day at the beach.

Good question, nicely presented, simple answer.... he goes to the bar for his coffee hahahahahahahaha unless he wants his milky decaf :) - I drink tea.

I think i'll pop over to yours tomorrow as you're making the cake :) , and agree, some great ideas, just told OH i'm going to start freezing the lemons :)

slodgedad
03-02-2013, 03:18
Slightly off topic I know, but freeze all your bits of left over fruit as they can be used in drinks.

As has been said before it eliminates the need for ice..

cainaries
03-02-2013, 23:30
Slightly off topic I know, but freeze all your bits of left over fruit as they can be used in drinks.

As has been said before it eliminates the need for ice..

Even a rather over-ripe banana?! I'm going to try this advice, Slodgey, but you may be hearing from me again soon!

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Maybe you should start one with 101 things to do with avocados... :whistle:

right now I could do with 10 things to do with an aubergine ...careful with your replies, please!

Good question, nicely presented, simple answer.... he goes to the bar for his coffee hahahahahahahaha unless he wants his milky decaf :) - I drink tea.

I think i'll pop over to yours tomorrow as you're making the cake :) , and agree, some great ideas, just told OH i'm going to start freezing the lemons :)

Today was fraught so didn't make the cake ... tomorrow is another day.

(Also didn't make the chicken curry ... please check the Vault for details on this!). I shall be spending tomorrow in the kitchen, I can tell.

Kiki
04-02-2013, 01:54
I use lemon peels to deodorize my bins (and make the kitchen smell awesome at the same time). It is a great way to finally dispose of spent lemon peels after you have used them making all the recipes above!

slodgedad
04-02-2013, 02:09
Great tip..Instead of chucking them insde the binbag put 'em in first..

chifleta
04-02-2013, 12:23
Even a rather over-ripe banana?! I'm going to try this advice, Slodgey, but you may be hearing from me again soon!

right now I could do with 10 things to do with an aubergine ...careful with your replies, please!

Today was fraught so didn't make the cake ... tomorrow is another day.

(Also didn't make the chicken curry ... please check the Vault for details on this!). I shall be spending tomorrow in the kitchen, I can tell.

definately have to be in the right frame of mind to enjoy a bit of cooking :) hope today is less fraught xx

i do occassionaly with a leftover half of lemon that OH may have forgotten in fridge and it's gone hard, i stick it in a bowl of water and stick it in the microwave for a few mins, then give microwave a wipe round, smells lovely :)

Malteser Monkey
04-02-2013, 12:27

Put the banana in the curry - can't remember which Indian dish this is, there is one with pineapple too - think it begins with M (and google is not being my friend !)

cainaries
04-02-2013, 12:32
Put the banana in the curry - can't remember which Indian dish this is, there is one with pineapple too - think it begins with M (and google is not being my friend !)

Excellent idea, MM. Might just squash it with some yoghurt as a side dish to cool my boca. Haven't got any pineapples here today!

ofimart
04-02-2013, 16:58

LEMON GRAHAM SLICE

1/8 teasp (0.5 mL) salt
1/2 cup (125 mL) butter

Bottom Layer

Top Layer

Canarybird (Sharon)
canarybird (Sharon) , I really love your posts and your photos always make me smile. I can almost taste this gorgeous cake from your picture and will be making this !!!( yum )
I always slice a couple of lemons and freeze them in an airtight container for putting in drinks, (as already suggested by another poster). I also cut another one in two and put one half in my fridge which acts as an absorber of any smells, (left over onions or chilli con carne/curries type food which can make the fridge smell ) . The other half I put in my bin to absorb odours. Can't wait to make this cake though Sharon ! :yum::yum:
Jacquie x