PDA

View Full Version : Education What are the good and bad points of Adeje College?

TIS
01-02-2013, 10:36
What are pros and cons, good points and bad for this college? Like to hear your experiences.

KirstyJay
01-02-2013, 12:50
Are you talking about Costa Adeje school (the private, German school), CEIP Los Olivos, CEIP Adeje Casco or the public Instituto?

TIS
01-02-2013, 13:13
Its the Costa Adeje Collegio, used to be referred to as "the German school"

KirstyJay
02-02-2013, 02:08
From what I hear it's very good. It's expensive though... I have a student that goes there. She is very conciousness and loves it, but fees are not for the faint hearted.

bonitatime
02-02-2013, 08:38
They go long hours which is good if you work. My eldest went through From 3-18 And he enjoyed it. If I could go back I wouldn't have sent him there.
There is a thread on the old forum with comments about this.

TIS
03-02-2013, 02:18
They go long hours which is good if you work. My eldest went through From 3-18 And he enjoyed it. If I could go back I wouldn't have sent him there.
There is a thread on the old forum with comments about this.

Thanks - why wouldn't you send him there now then?

How does one access the old forum threads?

slodgedad
03-02-2013, 02:33
Thanks - why wouldn't you send him there now then?

How does one access the old forum threads?

Click HERE (http://old.tenerifeforum.com/)

It's a mine of information but nothing can be replied to as it is closed

Use the search facility using basic key words

TIS
03-02-2013, 02:50
............thanks

KirstyJay
03-02-2013, 13:20
How does one access the old forum threads?On the front page of this forum there is a link to the old one... and likewise on the old one, there's a link back here.

It says 'TenerifeForum.com - Click here to go to the OLD forum... you can read it, login to your old account and view your PMs... but you can't send PMs or post. You have to do that here for now, but at least you can read it :)' and is at the very bottom of the forums list.

It used to be at the top, but as it's used less and less, we moved it to the bottom, but it's always there. :)

MrsTT
03-02-2013, 13:55
I had a student who went there when she was younger and for all the fees that were paid, the parents didn't feel the child got support when she was struggling. She paid for two extra lessons a week with me to help her with her Spanish maths homework. Eventually she moved her to Los Olivios I think and the child was much happier, and started to make progress with her school work and didn't need me any more! It was about 3 years ago now when she moved, but she came to me regularly for 2 years before that, as her & Mum didn't work well together on the Spanish maths! It may be different now.

TIS
03-02-2013, 18:34
On the front page of this forum there is a link to the old one... and likewise on the old one, there's a link back here.

It says 'TenerifeForum.com - Click here to go to the OLD forum... you can read it, login to your old account and view your PMs... but you can't send PMs or post. You have to do that here for now, but at least you can read it :)' and is at the very bottom of the forums list.

It used to be at the top, but as it's used less and less, we moved it to the bottom, but it's always there. :)

Thanks Kirsty, I had a look on the old forum, but there weren't that many comments and those that are there are not specific - unless I didn't find the right thread.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

I had a student who went there when she was younger and for all the fees that were paid, the parents didn't feel the child got support when she was struggling. She paid for two extra lessons a week with me to help her with her Spanish maths homework. Eventually she moved her to Los Olivios I think and the child was much happier, and started to make progress with her school work and didn't need me any more! It was about 3 years ago now when she moved, but she came to me regularly for 2 years before that, as her & Mum didn't work well together on the Spanish maths! It may be different now.

Guess you must see a lot of referrals form the various schools. Do you get a disproportionate number form any of them?

Is the issue more one that the parents are unable to assist the child. We all want our kids to achieve more than we ever did and to start life better prepared, but parents themselves have different skill levels and I have seen this elsewhere that the parents blamed the school for not teaching them or disciplining the kids, but the parents, in our view did not accept they have a role to play and maths is probably the best example of that. Look at all the surveys done testing adults on what is now considered to be basic maths and the appalling results - most cannot do and have little requirement to do mental arithmetic and I know the Spanish do things like long division differently to how I was taught at school, but parents should be able to work it out still and therefore help their kids. Obviously it can't be expected once they get to A Level type maths and Pure Maths, but at least up to the age of 16 I would have thought. I know my maths is rusty, but its like riding a bike, a bit of practice and I'd remember how.

bonitatime
03-02-2013, 18:46
Spanish maths lays out differently and causes confusion for UK parents

MrsTT
03-02-2013, 20:49
The parent of this child felt that there should have been more effort to support her child at the price she was paying and finally voted with her feet. I only passed it on as you asked for any information. I was working with the child for over 2 years. Every child is different and works at their own pace.

Spanish maths is a different style of working the information as Bonitatime says, so it can be tricky to adapt the English learning style to the specific pattern of reply that the school demanded. If the child does not respond in the exact way specified, the work may be marked wrong and there is little leeway for getting to the correct answer in your own way. My child had to write out the sum using the correct coloured ink,red, blue or black as appropriate, follow the exact method of operation, underline all the designated points as instructed and then complete the mathematics. It may well be that the child just didn't understand, but despite repeated requests for help the Mum failed to get the support she needed, which she subsequently found at another school. The child started to get good marks and became more relaxed. She stopped coming to me soon after.

Many people are very happy with their choice of school, and like I always say, when you find the school that is right for your child it is great. If your child is not happy then that school is not right for your child. Just not a good match for your child's learning style, but OK for many others.

I hardly know which schools the children come from who come to work with me. They work with me to catch up, to overcome problems, to learn English, because they are on an extended holiday or for the younger ones - to get a head start in the Spanish system - a variety of reasons from all over the island.