PDA

View Full Version : Motor Sport Is Formula One (F1) coming to Tenerife?

MR T
05-02-2013, 10:08
I read in one of the Tenerife newspapers last year that negotiations were at an advanced stage to build a F1 race track in Tenerife. What are your views, would F1 ever come to the Island if so why, if NO why not. :tiphat:

Malteser Monkey
05-02-2013, 10:31
I read in one of the Tenerife newspapers last year that negotiations were at an advanced stage to build a F1 race track in Tenerife. What are your views, would F1 ever come to the Island if so why, if NO why not. :tiphat:

That's old news Mr T I'm sorry to report

It's called the TF1 :cheeky::laugh:

MR T
05-02-2013, 10:37
I thought you would make jest:nono: I expect Fivepence will be up next with some off the wall remark :tiphat:

Fivepence
05-02-2013, 10:41
I thought you would make jest:nono: I expect Fivepence will be up next with some off the wall remark :tiphat:

No Mr T but @Penelope Pitstop (http://www.tenerifeforum.org/tenerife-forum/member.php?73-penelope-pitstop) may have a view on the subject......................:whistle::laugh:

Malteser Monkey
05-02-2013, 10:53

Really am I that predictable or do you know me better:cheeky:

kathml
05-02-2013, 11:05
The answer is almost certainly NO

Reasons 1) Money 2) Already a queue for any slots that may come up made up of mainly far eastern and arab countries who are far wealthier than tenerife

MR T
05-02-2013, 11:27
I had heard that the owners of the Abu Dhabi race circuit were potential investors and taking seriously the prospect of an F1 race track on the Island. If and I realise it is a big IF, Moto GP would also go to Tenerife. Nowadays these sports are more for a TV audience as opposed to punters at the tracks, you only have to see how many spectators go to the Arabian F1 and Moto Gp races. In Tenerife for F1 and Moto Gp many spectators would go to Tenerife to see the events from Europe especially Spanish and Italian fans. :tiphat:

TF1
05-02-2013, 11:30
I thought that a F1 track needed a huge area of flat land, away from residential areas? Doesn't sound like Tenerife fits the profile.

LUCKY
05-02-2013, 12:07
:flatcap:
In one of my recent threads ( last year) Tenerife was offered the best of Yorkshire to be rebuilt there entirley free. But no great interest was shown , Would you like to accept The Harewood Hill Climb., By the way it's nothing like youre Richmond hill climb.:flatcap::feret::feret:

Altamira
05-02-2013, 12:37
I thought that a F1 track needed a huge area of flat land, away from residential areas? Doesn't sound like Tenerife fits the profile. Racing Circuits They do not need to be built on flat ground, but the flatter the ground the easier it is to set up the cars suspension and gearing etc. The more interesting circuits have some up & down hill, therefore Tenerife would make a fantastic venue for a racing circuit and not only for F1.

tonythorne
05-02-2013, 12:55
I really must mention that one of the (tall) tales in my TENERIFE TALES TRILOGY features just such a circuit here in Tenerife... but with a difference..!

timmylish
05-02-2013, 13:14
Gospel news.
Granadilla area to host Formula 1 track as from 2017!

LUCKY
05-02-2013, 13:18
I really must mention that one of the (tall) tales in my TENERIFE TALES TRILOGY features just such a circuit here in Tenerife... but with a difference..! I was informed of a F1 circuit to be built in Tenerife about ten years ago, whilst been on a coach tour of the island by the guide on the bus, i must say i took it with a pinch of salt.:steeringwheel::convertible::flatcap::feret:

MR T
05-02-2013, 14:42
Gospel news.
Granadilla area to host Formula 1 track as from 2017!

I don't think that is as far stretched as some might think, a very respected motoring correspondent did say that the Granadilla area was the preferred potential site for F1 and that there was a lot of interest from the F1 hierarchy.:tiphat:

bonitatime
05-02-2013, 17:32
There has been a potential site for many years but the difference between someone owning the land and it being developed as such are vast.

TF1
05-02-2013, 18:23
I think Jaime's already sold that land for the port development.

bonitatime
05-02-2013, 21:57
My understanding was the site was the other side of the motorway but perhaps I mis interpreted

timmylish
05-02-2013, 23:04
In the triangle of Granadilla/San Isidro/El Desierto. Gospel!

deepdivejunkie
06-02-2013, 00:13
And here it is.. already been built!

MR T
06-02-2013, 10:16
No Mr T but @Penelope Pitstop (http://www.tenerifeforum.org/tenerife-forum/member.php?73-penelope-pitstop) may have a view on the subject......................:whistle::laugh:

Where is Penelope Pitstop when you need her, :tiphat:

TF1
06-02-2013, 10:46
My understanding was the site was the other side of the motorway but perhaps I mis interpreted

A lot of that land belongs to the PP diputado Manuel Cabrera Camacho, so could be true (he would almost certainly try to push a bill through to make a few million for himself). But there is still the minor issue of Ifara mountain and the 60 meter deep crater alongside it. I suppose it depends how many square km it would need.

primrose
06-02-2013, 17:34
F1 in Tenerife???
Blimey next someone will say lets build a train line north to south??
and lets build a motorway all around the island??
Maybe my 10 yr old son will see this in his lifetime:::::::::I wont!!!!!

Or let's build a Hospital in the South, don't think that will be built in anybody's life time.

primrose
06-02-2013, 18:48
Spot on!!! Maybe we should do a" TENERIFE IMPOSSIBLE DREAM" post!!

That would run for longer than The Illegal Lettings Thread.

cheery
06-02-2013, 19:01
Spot on!!! Maybe we should do a" TENERIFE IMPOSSIBLE DREAM" post!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gIztqPlJ3w

Medman
06-02-2013, 21:39
That would run for longer than The Illegal Lettings Thread.

I think that's on it's last lap now ......... :lol:

primrose
06-02-2013, 23:13
I think that's on it's last lap now ......... :lol:

Well there is only so far you can go before you run out of gas.

MR T
07-02-2013, 09:53
Quote Originally Posted by Medman View Post
I think that's on it's last lap now ......
Well there is only so far you can go before you run out of gas.

A bit like Stock Cars demolition derby, keep going round in circles until everyone is knocked out.:tiphat:

Unicorn
08-02-2014, 17:40
Any more news on this ????

Suej
08-02-2014, 18:42
Any more news on this ????
I heard the idea had been scrapped! lack of infrastructure hotels, motorway access etc! There is nowhere where there is enough space! In my opinion it didn't make any sense in the first place!:crazy:

kathml
08-02-2014, 18:49
Pie in the sky no money to build circuit unless they find unlimited oil under the sea certainly there's no way the Peninsular would fund this