PDA

View Full Version : What's the best browser, Firefox or Google Chrome?

Goforgold
15-07-2011, 15:35
I always used IE, but downloaded Firefox and Chrome as someone said they were much better. For some reason now I am unable to use IE. I have tried to download a new version several times and it just won't work. Other people have mentioned to me that IE won't work for them anymore. I would like to know why I suddenly can't use it! Was it knobbled by Google Chrome??!! :(

Muppet
15-07-2011, 15:40
Probably is the answer. Somewhere in the past when you downloaded Chrome you will have been asked if you wished to make it your default browser and you have probably answered yes.

You might be able to go back via Tools - Internet Options - Programs

Worth a try

Muppet
15-07-2011, 15:46
He is an aforementioned "geek" then xx

Goforgold
15-07-2011, 15:57
Probably is the answer. Somewhere in the past when you downloaded Chrome you will have been asked if you wished to make it your default browser and you have probably answered yes.

You might be able to go back via Tools - Internet Options - Programs

Worth a try
Thanks for the help, but if I change my browsers I am always asked if I want to make it my default. What I get when I download IE and try to open it is a notice saying unable to open IE - can't remember the rest of the working - ah yes, it says there isn't a connection too. I use the diagnositc to try and find out the problem and it says everything is ok. On and off I would say I've uninstalled and installed IE about 5 times now without success. I have given up as don't need it - but it would be great to find out why. :( I had to keep Chrome as you cannot add funds to the Lottery with Firefox - there is a glitch at the moment with the bank verification.

Suej
15-07-2011, 15:58
IE is cr*p and very slow!

Added after 3 minutes:

Thanks for the help, but if I change my browsers I am always asked if I want to make it my default. What I get when I download IE and try to open it is a notice saying unable to open IE - can't remember the rest of the working - ah yes, it says there isn't a connection too. I use the diagnositc to try and find out the problem and it says everything is ok. On and off I would say I've uninstalled and installed IE about 5 times now without success. I have given up as don't need it - but it would be great to find out why. :( I had to keep Chrome as you cannot add funds to the Lottery with Firefox - there is a glitch at the moment with the bank verification.

You need to keep IE but if Firefox or Chrome are better or easier for you to use GFG it doesnīt hurt to download them, if you go into default settings you can choose whichever Browser you want to be the default one. :D When Chrome ask "do you want to make Chrome as your default browser?" just click no but keep a shortcut on your desktop and use it when you want to! :run:

BobMac
15-07-2011, 16:05
I always used IE, but downloaded Firefox and Chrome as someone said they were much better. For some reason now I am unable to use IE. I have tried to download a new version several times and it just won't work. Other people have mentioned to me that IE won't work for them anymore. I would like to know why I suddenly can't use it! Was it knobbled by Google Chrome??!! :(

If you are still running Windows XP, the latest version of IE won't work - it only works on Windows 7, or that's what it told me when I tried to instal it.

Suej
15-07-2011, 16:08
If you are still running Windows XP, the latest version of IE won't work - it only works on Windows 7, or that's what it told me when I tried to instal it.
IE8 (not sure on 7 or 8) was useless on XP I agree, itīs fine on W7 but Chrome I find is a whole lot faster! Hi Bob!

Goforgold
15-07-2011, 16:27

I did find that after after installing, so downloaded the correct version for Windows XP - didn't work either. Never mind, but I just don't like mysteries!! :)

Added after 4 minutes:

IE is cr*p and very slow!

Added after 3 minutes:

You need to keep IE but if Firefox or Chrome are better or easier for you to use GFG it doesnīt hurt to download them, if you go into default settings you can choose whichever Browser you want to be the default one. :D When Chrome ask "do you want to make Chrome as your default browser?" just click no but keep a shortcut on your desktop and use it when you want to! :run:

I can change either as my default but as you suggest I find it easier to just keep leave Chrome as my default and have bookmarks for the forum and other things that don't seem to run correctly on Chrome. Funny one day IE is working the next it stops !! ???

Suej
15-07-2011, 18:01
Thatīs what I found with IE, very hit and miss....these things are sent to try us!:lol:

BobMac
15-07-2011, 20:11
I did find that after after installing, so downloaded the correct version for Windows XP - didn't work either. Never mind, but I just don't like mysteries!! :)

When I tried it, it said there wasn't a version for Windows XP

IE8 (not sure on 7 or 8) was useless on XP I agree, itīs fine on W7 but Chrome I find is a whole lot faster! Hi Bob!

Evening Sue

I've been using Apple Safari and it' a lot quicker than IE as well

Take your pick from Opera, Firefox, Chrome - they are all better than IE

tizzywizzy
15-07-2011, 20:25
The thread title is La Terraza Del Mare Webcam. 8 posts and not one is anything to do with the webcam.

Vortex Wake
15-07-2011, 20:48
The thread title is La Terraza Del Mare Webcam. 8 posts and not one is anything to do with the webcam.

That is because a mod split the thread and then went for a cuppa and a fag and forgot to re title this part ;)

slodgedad
15-07-2011, 20:49

Yes, it was an off shoot from another thread that had gone wonky.

Sorry about that. Job was only half done.

Goforgold
15-07-2011, 20:56
When I tried it, it said there wasn't a version for Windows XP

Evening Sue

I've been using Apple Safari and it' a lot quicker than IE as well

Take your pick from Opera, Firefox, Chrome - they are all better than IE

I searched on the internet for the information, but it was several weeks ago so can't remember what version I tried. I wonder what would the version have been for Windows XP that suddenly stopped working? That version must still be available. I suppose it doesn't matter now.

Suej
15-07-2011, 21:02
Tizzy itīs only because the webcam doesnīt seem to work for lots of people on IE...does it display on your Browser OK?...it might help Doreen sort it out!:)

slodgedad
15-07-2011, 21:07
At first I didn't think I could get it, til I scrolled down. Silly me. Silly you perhaps too?

Goforgold
15-07-2011, 21:11
At first I didn't think I could get it, til I scrolled down. Silly me. Silly you perhaps too?

Silly who too??? :) :)

BobMac
15-07-2011, 21:16

Added after 4 minutes:

I can change either as my default but as you suggest I find it easier to just keep leave Chrome as my default and have bookmarks for the forum and other things that don't seem to run correctly on Chrome. Funny one day IE is working the next it stops !! ???

I searched on the internet for the information, but it was several weeks ago so can't remember what version I tried. I wonder what would the version have been for Windows XP that suddenly stopped working? That version must still be available. I suppose it doesn't matter now.

Have just checked Microshaft's website - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/internet-explorer/downloads/ie

IE 9 is only available for Windows 7 & Vista

IE 8 is the latest version for Windows XP

IE7 is still available on the above link if you want to use it in preference to IE 8

tizzywizzy
15-07-2011, 21:27
Tizzy itīs only because the webcam doesnīt seem to work for lots of people on IE...does it display on your Browser OK?...it might help Doreen sort it out!:)

I don't use IE I use Firefox with no problem viewing. I did just try IE 8 and i couldn't get Doreens webcam.

Goforgold
15-07-2011, 21:32
Have just checked Microshaft's website - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/internet-explorer/downloads/ie

IE 9 is only available for Windows 7 & Vista

IE 8 is the latest version for Windows XP

IE7 is still available on the above link if you want to use it in preference to IE 8

Thanks for the information BobMac. I did try both these versions several weeks ago and they didn't work, but may be I will try again tomorrow just for the hell of it!!!

Thanks again for your time. :)

BobMac
15-07-2011, 21:52

Added after 4 minutes:

Thanks for the information BobMac. I did try both these versions several weeks ago and they didn't work, but may be I will try again tomorrow just for the hell of it!!!

Thanks again for your time. :)

Have a look at this link, it seems to allow you to download almost any version of IE from 4 onwards, although why you'd want to is another question
http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/ie.aspx?q=internet+explorer&WT.mc_id=MSCOM_EN_US_DLC_ICONNAV_121LSUS007796

Goforgold
15-07-2011, 21:55
Have a look at this link, it seems to allow you to download almost any version of IE from 4 onwards, although why you'd want to is another question
http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/ie.aspx?q=internet+explorer&WT.mc_id=MSCOM_EN_US_DLC_ICONNAV_121LSUS007796

Thanks again!!!

I don't like to be beaten!!!! :) You only learn by having a go!! :)

timmylish
16-07-2011, 00:47
GFG. I do hope you have deleted all of your attempted IE D/l,s. You should do a good clean, deleting everything relating to IE and then try to do a fresh install of IE. If you are on XP only install the older versions of IE.

Goforgold
16-07-2011, 07:16
GFG. I do hope you have deleted all of your attempted IE D/l,s. You should do a good clean, deleting everything relating to IE and then try to do a fresh install of IE. If you are on XP only install the older versions of IE.

Hi Timmylish :) When IE just stopped working as a broswer, I did uninstall, plus every failed install after that and hopefully deleted everything relating to IE !! :) :) At one time I did install a version not compatible with XP, did some more research and put the old version back in.

It's usually around Christmas I find I'm in the mood to mess around - so could be a long time before I try again!!

Sun-Lover
06-02-2013, 12:10
What browser do people think is better or faster, Firefox or Google Chrome

Fivepence
06-02-2013, 12:18
What browser do people think is better or faster, Firefox or Google Chrome

I use both SL, depending on what I'm doing.

Perhaps Admin will create a poll based on the browsers available, then you will have a easy view of members preferences.

This thread also discusses this subject. (http://www.tenerifeforum.org/tenerife-forum/showthread.php?6174-Webcams-and-different-browsers)

Sun-Lover
06-02-2013, 12:31
Hi Fivepence. I tried Chrome when it first came out but for some reason it kept crashing. I'm sure it must be better now but I try not to install programs unnecessarily and just wondered about other people's preference.

timmylish
06-02-2013, 12:33
I prefer FF as I find it faster and more stable. On Chrome, with Flash it crashes more than on FF (it never really crashes with FF).

Sun-Lover
06-02-2013, 12:37
Timmyfish do you always keep Firefox updated to the latest version or are you running a older version ?

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Timmylish apologies I was typing to fast and spelt your name wrongly.

kiwiphil
06-02-2013, 13:36
Another one to consider is Opera. Its great if you have multiple computers as it syncs your favorites between them all. It works the same across iPad and Android phones.

BobMac
06-02-2013, 15:30
I've been using SRWare Iron for 3 months now and it is very quick; it is basically Google Chrome with all the Google tracking crap removed.

Details can be found HERE (http://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron.php)

Suej
06-02-2013, 17:35
I've been using SRWare Iron for 3 months now and it is very quick; it is basically Google Chrome with all the Google tracking crap removed.

Details can be found HERE (http://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron.php)

Hi BobMac! Can you still keep Chrome and install SRWare to try first! can you transfer your favourites over OK?

BobMac
06-02-2013, 17:57
Hi BobMac! Can you still keep Chrome and install SRWare to try first! can you transfer your favourites over OK?

Hi Sue

When I installed it , I just clicked Ok and everything seemed to come across if I remember correctly.

junglejim
06-02-2013, 18:46
I use Firefox Nightly which is a new version of FF- itīs constantly being upgraded but is very stable and fast .

timmylish
07-02-2013, 04:07
FF automatically up-grade my version as I think I may be one of those used to test the systems. Forget the word for it. Oh aye. Beta version. That,s it. Whenever a new version is being brought out they automatically install it on my machine. So, although I may have the latest I also have the one most liely to be unstable since its in its Beta state. Anyway, on our lappy I have the normal FF and it works great, far superior than to say IE and in my opinion better than Chrome. My opinion remember.

minimadmandy
07-02-2013, 09:03
I use FF on my Mac at home and Google Chrome on my Pc at work. Been using FF for years and it that time it's only crashed maybe once or twice. Google Chrome crashes on a regular basis at work, drives me mad. Alternative is IE which is even worse. If I could I'd switch my work one to FF!

VideoMem
07-02-2013, 09:39
Its Firefox for me:eyebrows:

Suej
07-02-2013, 16:43
I alternate beween the two FF and Chrome! I find them both fast but as some have already said Chrome can crash now and again!

Happy Days
07-02-2013, 21:54
Always used Firefox and then.... at home I have windows 7 and use Internet Explorer. It's fine, never crashes and even works on Tenerife Forum...now!

At work I have XP and Crome is the fastest. Using google maps it must be twice as fast. But it does crash, though nomaly nothing more than a quick refresh sorts it out.

Think it depend on your OS.

slodgedad
08-02-2013, 01:27
f i r e f o x

KirstyJay
11-02-2013, 20:31
I've switched to Chrome recently as Firefox seems to be getting a bit too buggy and crashing on me. It was a pain at first, because I had FF synced on all my computers, but I have since imported everything into chrome and found some of my valued addons are now available on chrome too, so all's good :)

Harmonicaman
11-02-2013, 20:49
I've switched to Chrome recently as Firefox seems to be getting a bit too buggy and crashing on me. It was a pain at first, because I had FF synced on all my computers, but I have since imported everything into chrome and found some of my valued addons are now available on chrome too, so all's good :)

Apostate...:lol:

KirstyJay
11-02-2013, 20:55
Apostate...:lol:Definitely :D It's called progress.