PDA

View Full Version : Laptop just started making a high pitched noise

Sun-Lover
06-02-2013, 12:56
My laptop has just now started making a high pitched noise from somewhere inside. What could it be ?
I hope it's not the Hard drive packing up as I dont have a backup !

junglejim
06-02-2013, 13:06
could be the cooling fan or HD -you have a warning-back up !

Sun-Lover
06-02-2013, 13:15
Yes I'm worried that it is the drive as it sounds like it's coming from that area. I'm off to the shops to buy some blank DVD's for a emergency backup session.

junglejim
06-02-2013, 13:23
Why not get a USB stick or externa lHD - easier to transfer data and have it all in one place .

Sun-Lover
06-02-2013, 13:33
Yes I should really buy a USB drive. I have a small ( 2gb ) nearly full usb pen already and I had planned to buy a decent bigger USB drive in a couple of weeks time. But for now I was going to do a quick multiple DVD backup in case the drive died.

Harmonicaman
06-02-2013, 22:06
Tinitus is a bugger....

timmylish
07-02-2013, 03:37
Hope the O/p,s lappy is not in contact with PP,s lappy!

9PLUS
07-02-2013, 09:45
I would take it to a computer shop with technical services and get them to do it.

KirstyJay
07-02-2013, 13:03
Fans go often on PCs in Tenerife due to all the extra dust, calimas, etc. They are relatively cheap and easy to replace if it is the issue. :)

Hard drives often make a regular clicking noise when they are about to fail.

However, as other posters have said, back up... and really, you should be doing this regularly anyway :)

Malteser Monkey
07-02-2013, 13:31
have you tried pressing the keys a little lighter:cheeky:

Suej
07-02-2013, 13:41
Yes I should really buy a USB drive. I have a small ( 2gb ) nearly full usb pen already and I had planned to buy a decent bigger USB drive in a couple of weeks time. But for now I was going to do a quick multiple DVD backup in case the drive died.

If you don't fancy trying to change the fan yourself you could just unscrew the fan cover and see what's in there I watched my techy guy and he used a pair of tweezers to pull out a length of dust and fluff from the air vent! I have done the same since and the laptop has been fine afterwards! worth a try and you can't damage anything if you are really careful! :goodluck:

slodgedad
08-02-2013, 02:27
If you have an adjustable vaccuum cleaner put it on it's lowest setting and clean the vents.

We do this regularlywith our desktops to stop the noise.

MAKE SURE ITS ON IT'S LOWEST SETTING, THOUGH.....

Don't be tempted to turn it up if you see an obvious block.

Sun-Lover
09-02-2013, 13:12
I think it must be the hard drive as I got a friend to take out the drive and
when I turned it back on it was silent. Obviously it didn't boot past the
start-up screen but the fan was running and that wasn't making the noise.
So it looks like a replacement drive is called for.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Malteser Monkey
09-02-2013, 18:37
I think it must be the hard drive, as I got a friend to take out the drive and
when I turned it back on it was silent.Thanks for all the suggestions.

Yes they don't like travelling they get a bit car sick:cheeky:

Even the silly ones ?:cheeky:

Sun-Lover
11-02-2013, 11:35
Yes it was the hard drive causing the noise. My friend had a old laptop with a dead screen so he fitted the hard drive from that to my laptop and after reinstalling windows everything is now back to normal. Well, it will be after I put back my 100 programs.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.