PDA

View Full Version : Health New low carb bread tastes good

canarybird
07-02-2013, 11:07

One of the Tenerife German bakeries is producing a new brown bread that is low in carbs and high in protein and actually tastes great.

http://canarybird.smugmug.com/LIFE/Winter-2012/i-dJM2Rz4/0/L/P1170583%20redu-L.jpg

I have to first say that this is not an advertisement and I don't work for them, but a friend of mine introduced me to this bread, and despite my protests, as I don't care for more than one little piece of German sour bread, I tried a slice a few days ago and have been hooked ever since.

It's not a sour bread, but rather a yeast bread and is moist and full of nutty flavoured seeds. It's great toasted in the morning and it will last for days without drying out.

It's called Pro Body low carb bread and is advertised as containing 90% less carbohydrates and 300% more protein compared to conventional bread.

It's made by Panaderia Alemana and is available in the bread stall at the entrance to the Martianez shopping center in Pto de la Cruz as well as some of the El Millo bread and pastry shops.

I've also bought it in the German deli in the Canary Center on the Botanico road in Puerto de la Cruz, (two doors past the pharmacy).

They're selling it in Santa Cruz at the Nuestra Señora de Africa market, stall No 27.

There's a phone number on the bread bag so you could phone to see if it is available anywhere else on the island: 922 340 345

http://canarybird.smugmug.com/LIFE/Winter-2012/i-kMDxcSw/0/L/P1170588-L.jpg

http://canarybird.smugmug.com/LIFE/Winter-2012/i-SW55Xt2/0/L/P1170589-L.jpg

I think you will be happy to find this if you can. It's great under a piece of salami or ham and mustard!

Well that's my healthy news for today. :-)

Malteser Monkey
07-02-2013, 11:24
and I'll have a slice CB with some butter ! Yes Butter !:yum:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2274747/At-truth-Butter-GOOD--margarine-chemical-gunk.html#axzz2KCwNZsty

Fivepence
07-02-2013, 11:43
and I'll have a slice CB with some butter ! Yes Butter !:yum:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2274747/At-truth-Butter-GOOD--margarine-chemical-gunk.html#axzz2KCwNZsty

me too................so thick with butter, I can see my teeth marks after I've taken a bite....:D

canarybird
07-02-2013, 12:06
Right you are. About a year ago something instinctive told me to start using butter on bread and toast, after I had dropped it, not for margarine, (perish the thought - not even Becel thanks) but for olive oil which I still drizzle over vegetables rather than butter, and was also using on bread. Now I alternate with using butter....such as on this German bread.....and olive oil, which I like on steamed veggies with salt & freshly ground black pepper. Hmmmm num!

Malteser Monkey
07-02-2013, 12:12
Right you are. About a year ago something instinctive told me to start using butter on bread and toast, after I had dropped it, not for margarine, (perish the thought - not even Becel thanks) but for olive oil which I still drizzle over vegetables rather than butter, and was also using on bread. Now I alternate with using butter....such as on this German bread.....and olive oil, which I like on steamed veggies with salt & freshly ground black pepper. Hmmmm num!

yes I use olive oil on veg if doing them in the oven in foil ! Makes a nice change

primrose
07-02-2013, 12:14
me too................so thick with butter, I can see my teeth marks after I've taken a bite....:D

That's just the way I like it, looks like I have been plastering not spreading.:yum:

Suej
07-02-2013, 16:36
There is a good German bakery called Dinkelbäcker in the South it's along from Iceland in Las Chafiras I would think they also do this type of bread! You will need blinkers as it is hard not to be tempted by the gorgeous cakes!:yum:

canarybird
07-02-2013, 17:24
I think the flour used in this bread is also made from dinkel (German for "spelt") which is an ancient healthy grain.

slodgedad
08-02-2013, 02:16

Must admit I'm an olive oil freak.

Got used to it when I worked and lived in Italy years ago.

I still get funny looks, even here, when I drizzle it on my food..(Not Sunday dinner though:spin:)

Pizza, especially, is yuk without oil on.

Medman
08-02-2013, 09:30

I still get funny looks, even here, when I drizzle it on my food..(Not Sunday dinner though:spin:)

Popeye will be raging !!

Suej
08-02-2013, 11:38

Try this Slodge! pour two pools on a plate 0ne of Olive oil and another of Balsamic vinegar then dip warm crusty bread into each! MMMMMMMmmmmmm!:yum:

Malteser Monkey
08-02-2013, 11:55
Try this Slodge! pour two pools on a plate 0ne of Olive oil and another of Balsamic vinegar then dip warm crusty bread into each! MMMMMMMmmmmmm!:yum:

and a sprikle of salt

perfect over tomatoes, lettuce and red onion !

or White wine vinegar !