PDA

View Full Version : Laws & Regulations What's the maximum amount that can be paid in cash?

Cruise
07-02-2013, 19:14
Hi, If I remember right, a law came out not so long ago that one can only accept xxxxEuros in cash. Just forgot how much that amount is. Can someone remember and let me know. Thanks in advance

TOTO 99
07-02-2013, 19:30
Hi, If I remember right, a law came out not so long ago that one can only accept xxxxEuros in cash. Just forgot how much that amount is. Can someone remember and let me know. Thanks in advance

It's 2500 Euro...........not that anybody takes any notice...:tiphat:

golf birdie
07-02-2013, 19:32
It's 2500 Euro...........not that anybody takes any notice...:tiphat:

I'm led to believe this is only if a official invoice is not issued.

Pooh
07-02-2013, 21:41
Rule: Law 7/ 2012 dated 29th October 2012.
Applicable from: 19th November 2012.

a.) Every trading transaction within two businesses or within one business and a private, where business is either a corporation or an autonomo (self employed), cannot from MONDAY 19 November 2012 onwards, be paid in CASH or with an AL PORTADOR Bank cheque, if the amount of the transaction overpasses 2500 euros. It can be paid with nominative bank cheques, credit cards, bank transfers or any other way where both payer and paid can be identified.

b.) If the payer is a PRIVATE NON RESIDENT, and can probe that he is not doing a professional /business transaction, but a private transaction, the threshold increases to 15.000 euros. So private Non residents, will be able to pay up to 14.999,99 euros in cash.

c.) The amount needs to be understand as the sum up of the value of a transaction. So if payment is split, so that for instance a CAR is sold for 6000 euros in three payments of 2000 euros, (buyer is resident private or business and seller is a business), all this operation cannot be done in cash or with al portador bank cheques.

d.) Another example for real estate: If a client wants to buy a house which is valued in 200.000 euros and leaves a deposit of 2.000 euros. This deposit, as part of the 200.000 euros house value, cannot be done in cash or “al portador” bank cheque.

e.) Every transaction needs to be properly documented and probe of how payments where done, needs to be preserved at least during 5 years, since transaction took place.

f.) What would it happen if you took no notice of this new rule?

a. Both payer and paid would be found guilty of an administrative offense. The Authorities (National Tax Office) could decide to choose within payer or paid and request a fine for the 25% of the value of the amount paid in cash.

b. If the transaction took place irregularly, with cash payments over 2500 euros, any of both participants (buyer and seller/ payer and paid), could denounce the irregularity to the Administration within three months since the operation took place, and that would exonerate the person who denounced the irregularity.