PDA

View Full Version : Recipes Does anyone know some good recipes using garbanzos/chick peas?

Malteser Monkey
08-02-2013, 10:56
Morning !

I was wondering whether anyone has any good Canarian Recipies using chickpeas.

I know I can look ont t'internet but the tried, tested and amended recetas are the best, the what Granny used to make kind.

Many thanks

I'm sure CB you must have a few up your sleeve :pray:

canarybird
08-02-2013, 11:19
I do and I'll get back here later as I'm getting ready now to go out this morning to Pilates class :) .

See you later here!

Fivepence
08-02-2013, 11:22
Morning !

I know I can look ont t'internet but the tried, tested and amended recetas are the best, the what Granny used to make kind.

Many thanks

Are you sure about this...............you were moaning about wind the other day. :lol:

AL JAY
08-02-2013, 11:27
Morning !

Many thanks

*Logs off* :v2: :wink:

Malteser Monkey
08-02-2013, 11:28
I do and I'll get back here later as I'm getting ready now to go out this morning to Pilates class :) .

See you later here!

That's very kind - no rush, fancy making summit different for tea next week and I have some in the cupboard

Are you sure about this...............you were moaning about wind the other day. :lol:

We need to get those Duvets dry so if the other ingredients could be cabbage or sprouts much appreciated :crylaughing:

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

*Logs off* :v2: :wink:

Not a lover huh ?

chifleta
08-02-2013, 14:26
I don't cook with chick peas very often as my lad is of the same opinion as Al Jay LOL ... normally just do a chicken n veggie soup and throw in a jar of chickpeas... sowwy couldn't come up with anything more exciting :D

Malteser Monkey
08-02-2013, 16:15
I don't cook with chick peas very often as my lad is of the same opinion as Al Jay LOL ... normally just do a chicken n veggie soup and throw in a jar of chickpeas... sowwy couldn't come up with anything more exciting :D

Ok never mind CB be here sometime before Xmas ! That's a long pilates class:cheeky:

Cainaries be along at some point and no doubt there will be alcohol involved in her's:cheeky:

Megaloo
08-02-2013, 18:09
Ok never mind CB be here sometime before Xmas ! That's a long pilates class:cheeky:

Cainaries be along at some point and no doubt there will be alcohol involved in her's:cheeky:

CB may have followed Pilates with a lunch out:neener: knowing her she will come up with something worth waiting for:tongue:

canarybird
08-02-2013, 19:43

Okay here I am.....and right you are Megaloo.
I stayed at the gym and had lunch, then went to Mercadona and shopped, came home, brought the stuff in from the car, put it away, had a siesta, hung up some washing outside and now I'm here. :)

http://pic14.picturetrail.com/VOL554/968616/5645524/76792809.jpg

STEWED CHICKPEAS - Garbanzos Estofados

1 lb dried chickpeas
1/4 lb diced smoked pork or 1/2 lb meaty pork ribs
1 onion - chopped
1/2 head garlic - peeled and chopped
tomato sauce or puré - about 4 oz or 1/4 cup
1 teasp paprika
2 TBS olive oil
1 bay leaf
salt

1) Soak chickpeas overnight - or open a jar of ready soaked ones. Next day drain and cook in salted water together with pork.

2) Add onion, garlic, tomato puré, paprika, bay leaf and oil to pot. Simmer until tender.

3) Remove any bones and season with salt.

BEEF OR PORK STEW - Ropa Vieja

1 lb dried chickpeas
2 lb potatoes - diced and fried (see step 4)
1 lb cooked beef or pork - (preferably roasted) and diced
olive oil - 4 TBS
1 small glass (4 oz) dry white wine
2 tomatoes - chopped
1 onion - finely chopped
1 green pepper - chopped
3 cloves garlic - diced
thyme
pinch of cumin
1 bay leaf
2 or 3 threads saffron
flatleaf parsley
black peppercorns
paprika - 1 teasp
salt

1) Soak the chickpeas overnight in cold water or open a jar. Add the drained chickpeas with the meat to a saucepan of cold, salted water and bring to the boil. Put lid on pot and simmer for about 1 hour. Once all is tender, remove the meat and chickpeas from the pot and keep the liquid.

2) Put garlic, peppercorns, saffron, salt, cumin and paprika together in a mortar and crush.

3) Fry the chopped onion, tomatoes and pepper together in a frying pan with a little oil, and add to it the mixture from the mortar.

4) Dice and brown the potatoes in another pan in some oil.

5) When onion-pepper mixture is almost cooked, add the wine, parsley, bay leaf, thyme, chickpeas and meat and 1 1/2 - 2 cups of the liquid from step one. Bring to the boil and simmer for 15 minutes. There should be some sauce below.

6) Add the fried potatoes to the pot 5 - 10 minutes before stew pot is ready. Garnish servings with chopped parsley.

Sources : adapted from "The Best of Canary Island Cookery" and "Cooking in the Canary Islands"

CHICKPEA & SPINACH POTAGE - Potaje de Garbanzos y Espinacas

1 lb dried chickpeas
spinach - 3/4 lb (300 grams) - cleaned and chopped
3 cloves garlic - peeled and sliced
1 TBS sweet paprika
one small hot chili pepper
2 slices bread, fried until crisp and brown
1 vegetable stock cube
small 4 oz glass white wine
10 TBS olive oil
1 1/2 quarts water (about 1 1/2 liters)
salt

1) Soak chickpeas overnight or open a jar.

2) In a large pot heat up the oil and add sliced garlic. Crush the fried bread to a paste in a mortar, add the paprika and the chili.

3) Add to the pot the spinach and the contents of the mortar and stir until partially cooked. Add the wine and let it evaporate. Cover with water and add the chickpeas, the stock cube and salt.

4) Cook for about 45 minutes.

Source: Translated from Comidacasera.com

CREAM OF CHICKPEAS - Crema de Garbanzos

3/4 lb chickpeas (300 grams)
5 cloves garlic - peeled
1 medium onion - peeled and chopped
1 bay leaf
fresh ground black pepper
tarragon - to taste
salt

1) Put chickpeas in a pot, cover with cold water and let soak about 12 hours.

2) Once that time has elapsed, drain chickpeas and cover with fresh cold water again, adding the onion, garlic cloves, bay leaf and salt.

3) Cook for about 2 hours or until the chickpeas are tender.

4) Drain chickpeas, keeping some of the cooking liquid and put into blender together with tarragon and a little pepper.

5) Blend, adding some of the cooking liquid until you have the desired consistency.

6) Pass through a sieve, gently reheat and put into a soup tureen, garnishing with chopped parsley. Serve hot.

Source: Translated from CocinaHoy S.L.

STEWED CHICKPEAS AND SAFFRON - Garbanzos Estofados al Azafrán

1 lb chickpeas - soaked overnight or tinned
1 tomato - chopped
1 green pepper - chopped
2 small courgettes - diced
2 small eggplants - diced
1 onion - chopped
1 leek - chopped
1 thread of saffron - ground
1 sprig of thyme - ground
1 bay leaf
salt - as needed
water to cover

1) Chop vegetables and put into a large cooking pot together with chickpeas. Cover with water, adding saffron, thyme, bay leaf and salt.

2) Bring to boil and simmer 40 - 50 minutes. Drain and serve.

Source: Translated from Comidacasera.com

Canarybird (Sharon)

Here’s a variation of a chickpea salad I learned to make in Mallorca.

CHICKPEA SALAD

Serves 2 - 3 as a main dish or 4 as a side salad.

1 - 15oz jar of chickpeas (garbanzos) and their liquid
3 medium potatoes, cooked and cut into 8ths
handful of chopped raw baby spinach (optional)
1 small purple onion - sliced into half rings
2 hard boiled eggs chopped finely
8 slices English cucumber - cut into quarters
1 large ripe tomato, sliced into thin wedges
1 tin white tuna (water-packed for dieters, drained
several sprigs flatleaf parsley, chopped finely (about 3 TBS)
olive oil
1 - 2 cloves garlic
1 teasp Dijon or other piquant mustard
balsamic vinegar
fresh lemon juice
salt and freshly ground black pepper

1. Cook potatoes and eggs and let cool a little. Peel eggs and chop finely.

2. Drain chickpeas, saving the liquid and put them into a large salad bowl along with the cut potatoes, finely chopped egg, drained and flaked tuna, spinach, onion, cucumber.

3. Put minced garlic into a mortar along with about 1/4 teasp salt, ground pepper and half of the parsley. Grind to a paste then add about 1/2 cup oil, juice of 1/2 lemon, mustard and a teasp of balsamic vinegar.
Mix well to an emulsion, adjusting seasoning and quantities to your taste.

4. Pour over salad and mix well, adding in some or all of the liquid from the jar of chickpeas, enough to moisten well. Add the rest of the chopped parsley and the slices of tomato and mix gently.

Canarybird (Sharon)

http://pic14.picturetrail.com/VOL554/968616/10228984/150997852.jpg salad in bowl

http://pic14.picturetrail.com/VOL554/968616/10228984/150997858.jpg salad on plate

Here's another favourite. It's SO GOOD!

SPICED SWEET ROASTED RED PEPPER HUMMUS
-----------------------------------------

1 (15 oz) can garbanzo beans, drained
1 (4 oz) jar roasted red peppers (Pimientos de Piquillo)
3 TBS lemon juice
1 1/2 TBS tahini (supermarket or health food store)
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 teasp ground cummin
1/2 teasp cayenne pepper *(I used 1/4 teasp)
1/4 teasp salt
1 TBS chopped fresh parsley

Blend all ingredients except parsley in electric blender. Process until fairly smooth. Refrigerate for up to 3 days.

Sprinkle with parsley before serving.

Note: When I need smoked pork for a chickpea or lentil soup or stew, I always buy "Kassler" (German name for smoked pork chop) which is usually sold here as "chuleta ahumada" or smoked pork chop. It's often seen as a whole side of chops and I ask the butcher to cut off a thick one, which I throw in a stew and cut it up into small pieces later, when stew is done. Goes well with any bean stew.

Still More:

http://pic14.picturetrail.com/VOL554/968616/4054127/54215378.jpg

PUCHERO Canary Island Stew

Ingredients may vary according to the cook. Here is one recipe:

1/2 lb chickpeas
1 lb beef
1 lb pork
2 chicken drumsticks
2 lbs cabbage
1/2 lb pumpkin or orange squash
1 small zucchini
1/2 lb French green beans
1 fresh corncob
1 sweet potato
2 lbs potatoes
2 or 3 small, firm pears
1 onion
1 or 2 carrots
1 head garlic
1 leek
1 tomato
saffron, thyme and salt

1) Soak the chickpeas in water overnight.

2) Drain and put in a large saucepan with the meat and cover well with water.

3) Put the thyme, garlic, saffron and salt in a mortar and pound together.

4) Chop the leek, onion and tomato and add to the saucepan, together with the thyme, saffron, salt & garlic mixture.

5) When these ingredients are cooked, add the remaining vegetables, cut in large pieces, with the exception of the French beans which are left whole and tied together with string.

6) Simmer until all ingredients are tender.

7) Serve drained vegetables. The stock may be used to prepare a soup.

Source: 'The Best of Canary Island Cookery'
Centro de la Cultura Popular Canaria

canarybird
09-02-2013, 13:49
Here's another two:

Chickpeas and fresh greens (Garbanzos con espinacas)

Ingredients:

10 oz cooked chickpeas
2 lb fresh spinach
2 slices fried bread
1 onion
1 head garlic
Parsley
Pimentón (paprika)
Salt

Servings: 4
Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 45 minutes

Preparation:

Boil the spinach in water with a pinch of salt.

Drain well and set aside. Using a mortar and pestle, crush the fried bread with two tablespoons of chickpeas to form a paste.

Gently fry the peeled garlic and chopped onion until golden, then add a little pimentón, followed by the bread and chickpea paste, the drained spinach, the parsley and the remaining chickpeas.

Check for salt, then allow to cook gently for 15 minutes. Serve warm.

Recipe courtesy of Spain GourmeTour magazine.

Ropa Vieja (Beef or Pork Stew)

http://canarybird.smugmug.com/Other/Miscellaneous-1/i-jCvF6kS/0/M/Ropa%20Vieja%201-M.jpg

1 lb dried chickpeas
2 lb potatoes - diced and fried (see step 4)
1 lb cooked beef or pork - (preferably roasted) and diced
olive oil - 4 TBS
1 small glass (4 oz) dry white wine
2 tomatoes - chopped
1 onion - finely chopped
1 green pepper - chopped
3 cloves garlic - diced
thyme
pinch of cumin
1 bay leaf
2 or 3 threads saffron
flatleaf parsley
black peppercorns
paprika - 1 teasp
salt
green olives (optional but often included)

1) Soak the chickpeas overnight in cold water.

Add the drained chickpeas with the meat to a saucepan of cold, salted water and bring to the boil. Put lid on pot and simmer for about 1 hour.

Once all is tender, remove the meat and chickpeas from the pot and keep the liquid.

2) Put garlic, peppercorns, saffron, salt, cumin and paprika together in a mortar and crush.

3) Fry the chopped onion, tomatoes and pepper together in a frying pan with a little oil, and add to it the mixture from the mortar.

4) Dice and brown the potatoes in another pan in some oil.

5) When onion-pepper mixture is almost cooked, add the wine, parsley, bay leaf, thyme, chickpeas and meat and 1 1/2 - 2 cups of the liquid from step one.
Bring to the boil and simmer for 15 minutes. There should be some sauce below.

6) Add the fried potatoes and optional green olives to the pot 5 - 10 minutes before stew pot is ready. Garnish servings with chopped parsley.

Sources : adapted from "The Best of Canary Island Cookery" and "Cooking in the Canary Islands"

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Sorry I put Ropa Vieja twice. Just wanted to add the photo not the recipe again.

Malteser Monkey
09-02-2013, 18:33
I knew you would come up trumps CB! canarybird

pardon the pun:crazy::bootyshake:

That's great will print them out thank you x