PDA

View Full Version : Can you claim compensation for an accident on a public footpath in Tenerife?

bobferry
08-02-2013, 15:44
I have got some friends staying with me on holiday,one of them a 60 year old lady was out walking the other night and she tripped over a loose slab sending her crashing to the floor.This afternoon she is in the Las Americas hostpital having an operation on a broken bone in her face.She has a very good holiday insurance which is paying for her stay and operation in the hostpital.I just wondered if anyone has had this to them before and would it be possible like in the UK to get any compensation for her discomfort.

Tickey
08-02-2013, 16:26
Waiting for it to go to court apparently takes about 7 years so a complete waste of time...

CIM
09-02-2013, 00:50
I know a lady here who tripped over a bad paving slab and broke her elbow.
She had a 14,000€ payout in around 9 months.

timmylish
09-02-2013, 03:57
As is always the case, here in Spain and in particular on Tenerife, going to law is in the lap of the gods. So many different factors are involved since, as opposed to the law in the UK where there is some sort of procedure to follow, here a court case never seems to follow a distinct course of procedure. It is very difficult to explain exactly what I mean but long term residents will know! You can never predict a likely outcome and it is for that very reason, subject to anything a good lawyer would say, I wouldsuggest that she gets well asap and gets home to the UK. Taking the comment made by CIM I think even he would agree that successes in Court are few and far between here. In a previous life I always suggested to potential clients that it was always better to resolve disputes outwith law as the only winners, long term, are the solicitors. Here, who your friend would try to get satisfaction from is imponderable. I would be asking the Insurance Company if they are intending seeking recovery from any Agency here on the Island and if so who, get a solicitor to contact that Agency to see if there any likelihood of that Agency offering compensation. Now here is the rub. How much money does your friend have to waste because this could be relatively expensive with no guarantee of any success?
Sorry if I seem negative but that,s the way I see this. Whatever I do hope that your friend recovers asap with no dislike of Tenerife because of this.

slodgedad
09-02-2013, 04:22
The UK has finally caught up with the USA and the 'sue 'em' culture.

Here, I'm afraid, we still live in a sensible age where insurance costs are cheap, and peoples' first thoughts are recovery

TF1
09-02-2013, 10:34
Try this company, I know they handle claims for car accidents, not sure about other circumstances. They are in San Isidro.

http://www.indemnizaciondirecta.com/oficina-de-indemnizacion-directa-tenerifesur.html

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

The UK has finally caught up with the USA and the 'sue 'em' culture.

Here, I'm afraid, we still live in a sensible age where insurance costs are cheap, and peoples' first thoughts are recovery

Agreed, though the public administrations do have an obligation to keep walkways safe, and if they don't the odd payout to keep them in line can't be that bad.

Harmonicaman
09-02-2013, 10:38
I'm a great believer in "Watch where you put your feet". People want to sue for everything nowadays. As Slodgey says, the American compensation culture has arrived at last.

bobferry
09-02-2013, 12:09
Many thanks I have sent them an E Mail I will let you know the outcome.

Regards Bob:hello:

Fivepence
09-02-2013, 13:25
Is there not a 'Sole Agent' in Tenerife that is responsible for the footpaths?..............................:whistle:

Fiesta
16-02-2013, 12:31
I have got some friends staying with me on holiday,one of them a 60 year old lady was out walking the other night and she tripped over a loose slab sending her crashing to the floor.This afternoon she is in the Las Americas hostpital having an operation on a broken bone in her face.She has a very good holiday insurance which is paying for her stay and operation in the hostpital.I just wondered if anyone has had this to them before and would it be possible like in the UK to get any compensation for her discomfort.

Yes you can. You can contact Juan Manuel Sanchez Perez on 922795890 he will advise. He speaks good English and has an office in Los Cristianos.

dotty1
16-02-2013, 18:26
The same happened to me near our apartment complex, fell over a slab which was quickly repaired the next day, had to have steel pins put into my ankle. I approached the insurance company and was told I would have to pay my own way to sue them and they were insured for public liability for millions and I would lose the case. When I approached a company to deal with this for me in Tenerife, they said it would take probably 7 years before it went to court, I would probably be departed from this life by then, so that was the end result.