PDA

View Full Version : Other We need help with a shipping documentation problem

life is short
11-02-2013, 16:58
Need to ship personal and small household possessions to Tenerife. Have obtained a couple of quotes so far, however one of the companies has emailed paperwork that will need completing if we use them.

Looking through the form it asks for information which until we arrive in Tenerife and sort out the official stuff we can’t provide, such as NIE and residence details.

We are flying out (instead of driving – but that’s another story) with the usual luggage allowance and sorting out an apartment on arrival. This should be relatively easy as we are already in contact with an estate agent who will be making arrangements for us.

Has anybody else had this problem? Is there an alternative way to get our possessions through customs? Can some shipping companies do this for you?

Apologies for the many questions……….we thought we had most things covered, then yet another problem to sort. :spin:

casabonny
11-02-2013, 17:42
I believe you must have an NIE number to be able to clear customs but not necessarily to ship the goods . Pm forum member UNIVERSAL as he will be able to tell you as that is his line of business

life is short
11-02-2013, 18:06
I believe you must have an NIE number to be able to clear customs but not necessarily to ship the goods . Pm forum member UNIVERSAL as he will be able to tell you as that is his line of business

Thanks casabonny. Will do :tiphat:

life is short
12-02-2013, 11:34
What have other people done on first arriving to live in Tenerife and have shipped their belongings to arrive soon after? Were you able to obtain your NIE and then provide this to customs?

angiebabes
12-02-2013, 18:43
When we did this, because we had an NIE we had to pay import duty. If you didn't have NIE then you could argue that you had not lived on the island before and therefore were allowed to bring things in without having to pay import duty. We used air shippers based at Manchester Airport, but due to lack of proper paperwork spent several hours and trips to the airport from Puerto Santiago before we got our stuff!! The agents at Tenerife South airport were very helpful.

Ashro Autos
12-02-2013, 22:59
Sure someone will correct me but i am sure you can bring in personal effects free of tax for 1st six months without nie number unless it has changed

poker
13-02-2013, 17:40
We flew here got NIE in order and then I flew back and come with van with our stuff in it .
That was within 6 months as Ashro says .
As I had a NIE I could cross on the ferry half price .
Diden't have any customs inspection at all , perhaps lucky I have no Idea .
Thats already more than 5 years ago now .

9PLUS
13-02-2013, 18:35
A tip don't bring anything unless its necessary, I've seen people bring boxes of plates and cups and other nonsense.

I came over in the van with boxes of plates and other nonsense in the back but that's OK cause i did it, if you do it it's nonsense.

cause my van was red and cooler than your container

x

life is short
13-02-2013, 19:46
A tip don't bring anything unless its necessary, I've seen people bring boxes of plates and cups and other nonsense.

I came over in the van with boxes of plates and other nonsense in the back but that's OK cause i did it, if you do it it's nonsense.

cause my van was red and cooler than your container

x

Thanks to everyone for your responses............and 9PLUS - very funny :laugh:

carpenter
13-02-2013, 22:55
when we shipped our stuff over we made a mistake on the paperwork, value of possessions! keep this low as possible because we were taxed heavily on the total.
When our crate arrived I had to get a NIE then go to the hacienda for more paperwork before paying the taxes to the shipping company before I was allowed to collect. pay for door to door much easier and safer

Brian
14-02-2013, 11:22
We had to supply copies of N.I.E, proof of permanent by registering with the local town hall, (empadronamiento) and proof that we had registered with the tax office (etiquetas) before our delivery could clear local customs.

All our goods were declared as personal items and no import tax was paid.

We used a door to door service arranged by Tenerife based removal company (Worldwide)

Be aware that you will incur additional storage charges if there is any delay in clearing customs.

kiwiphil
14-02-2013, 13:13
Depending on how much you are bringing it may be cheaper and simpler to pay someone to drive out in a van and return. That way you get your stuff straight away and won't have customs charges at all.

If you paid someone from here to do this then I'm sure you would get a reasonable price. There's plenty of unemployed people here and they would most likely be able to resident discount on the travel too.

This all depends how much you intend shipping.

When we moved out last year it worked out massively cheaper to drive than ship our gear.

life is short
17-02-2013, 16:33
Hadn't had chance to check forum for a few days, been really ill with flu :fever: and OH wouldn't even sing the Kitty song either :cry: Recovering slowly now but still a way to go I think!

Thanks to everyone for the various responses......this has been very useful and informative.