PDA

View Full Version : Other Are the recent horsemeat issues causing any trouble for the local restaurants?

julieann1069
12-02-2013, 09:01
Hi all

Is the recent horsemeat issues causing any trouble for the local restaurants?? Have they noticed any change in peoples eating habits... ??

We are over in 3 weeks.. and a friend who we are coming out with has major issues... says she is only gonna stick to fish.. lol... is anyone asking where the meat is coming from etc...

Personally i will still be eating my beef products... it hasnt killed me yet... ha ha... :crazy::eyebrows::lol:

Regards

Julie xx

BoPeep
12-02-2013, 10:25
Mmmm, may not have killed you yet but it could be a long term thing :ashamed:

There really isnt anything wrong with horse meat in burgers except

a If you buy beef should get beef and
b Has the horsemeat got its drug traceability?

All recognised meat products going through slaughterhouses correctly are guaranteed to have no drug residue due to animals in the meat chain having withdrawal periods on medicines. In the UK all traceability is there but I do wonder about other countries, including the EU! Our medicine books in the UK track every individual animal and every batch number of medicine and where the medicine came from, BUY BRITISH!

princessmonika
12-02-2013, 11:59
well i will not eat anything i cannot identify, for what it is -- i wonder what is in the indian food and the chinese meat , so i for one will be very carefull what i eat in a restaurant from now:hungry::pizza:maybe?

Fivepence
12-02-2013, 12:47
Bute is the most commonly used drug administered to horses.
Apparently it's an anti-inflammatory drug.

The powers that be claim "here is a "limited public health risk" if the drug phenylbutazone, known as bute, is found in beef products that contain horsemeat."

Source: The Guardian (http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/feb/11/horsemeat-bute-very-low-risk)

The question is...............can/should we believe them?

I don't.:nono:

BoPeep
12-02-2013, 13:51
They keep talking about Bute, that is readily available and I used it to help my favourite old sheep! It gave her another year sunbathing in the field! It had no information on withdrawal for the meat chain on it. needless to say she didnt go into the food chain!

Our sheep wormers all have withdrawal periods, horses are regularly wormed but I hear no mention of danger from wormer in the news.

Balcony
12-02-2013, 14:50
I am astounded that firms like Findus, or rather the people who own the brand, don't test their raw materials prior to adding into some sort of slop and marketing.

It probably says all you need to know about ANY processed food. You just don't know what you're eating. Always best to avoiud.

(Incidentally, not heard any words of reassurance from some of the burger chains.)

Add to this a proliferation of food where cooks/chefs are just heater-uppers and probably have scant regard for hygiene and aren't we heading towards that great big toilet.......?

cheery
12-02-2013, 17:57
I am astounded that firms like Findus, or rather the people who own the brand, don't test their raw materials prior to adding into some sort of slop and marketing.

It probably says all you need to know about ANY processed food. You just don't know what you're eating. Always best to avoiud.

(Incidentally, not heard any words of reassurance from some of the burger chains.)

Add to this a proliferation of food where cooks/chefs are just heater-uppers and probably have scant regard for hygiene and aren't we heading towards that great big toilet.......?

That is why my fish and chip shop operates to theses standards:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fairfield-Plaice/134544613223436

Having spent 25 years in the food industry I know what standards should be and there are a lot of premises which should be shut down. Next time you eat out, ask to see the kitchen and storage area. See what response you get.

Ecky Thump
12-02-2013, 19:16
Mmmm, may not have killed you yet but it could be a long term thing :ashamed:

There really isnt anything wrong with horse meat in burgers except

a If you buy beef should get beef and
b Has the horsemeat got its drug traceability?

All recognised meat products going through slaughterhouses correctly are guaranteed to have no drug residue due to animals in the meat chain having withdrawal periods on medicines. In the UK all traceability is there but I do wonder about other countries, including the EU! Our medicine books in the UK track every individual animal and every batch number of medicine and where the medicine came from, BUY BRITISH!

Does that mean that West Yorkshire and Aberystwyth are not in Britain, as slaughterhouses there have been found to be selling horse meat ready to be disguised as beef.

BoPeep
12-02-2013, 19:38
This is not the farmers fault this is the slaughterhouses but I think we need to learn more before jumping to conclusions.

It will be devastating to British farmers if the slaughterhouses have let them down. Devastating to all public when you consider the export value of our meat which may suddenly disappear if we get the blame.

Hopefully the carcasses were checked on the medicines front although if they are capable is mislabelling....

boredinscotland
12-02-2013, 20:25
A local chinese place here got shut down for selling 'unidentified' meat,,rumours were it was fox meat, other rumours being they were using pigeon as chicken,,,needless to say I have never been to this place

marbro8
12-02-2013, 20:25
if there has been flaws in the produce of beef meals who's to say that foods processed with lamb in them have not been affected??? i don't think that this will end with what they have found, i think it is just the tip of the iceberg:wink:

Fivepence
12-02-2013, 20:44
if there has been flaws in the produce of beef meals who's to say that foods processed with lamb in them have not been affected??? i don't think that this will end with what they have found, i think it is just the tip of the iceberg:wink:

Don't tell me you've heard that lettuce is contaminated with horse meat as well M8........................:scared:

marbro8
12-02-2013, 20:48
Don't tell me you've heard that lettuce is contaminated with horse meat as well M8........................:scared:it took me a while but i got it in the end:lol::lol::lol:

Ashro Autos
12-02-2013, 22:55
Just a couple of questions for you all
1,Have any of you become ill through eating horse meat ? Ya or Naaaaaaaaaa
2,Why is the saying hungry as a horse not classed as canabilistic remark
3,How many people have said " I could eat a horse "

Ecky Thump
12-02-2013, 23:36
Just a couple of questions for you all
1,Have any of you become ill through eating horse meat ? Ya or Naaaaaaaaaa
2,Why is the saying hungry as a horse not classed as canabilistic remark
3,How many people have said " I could eat a horse "

Not a whole one, but what I did eat was delicious!:yum::yum:

johnr
13-02-2013, 00:17
not too sure about Findus and other brands I prefer My Lidl Pony

TenerifeTeddy
13-02-2013, 10:31
Hi all

Is the recent horsemeat issues causing any trouble for the local restaurants?? Have they noticed any change in peoples eating habits... ??

We are over in 3 weeks.. and a friend who we are coming out with has major issues... says she is only gonna stick to fish.. lol... is anyone asking where the meat is coming from etc...

Personally i will still be eating my beef products... it hasnt killed me yet... ha ha... :crazy::eyebrows::lol:

Regards

Julie xx

neigh lad neigh. sorry couldn't resist :)

tracey
13-02-2013, 11:17
A local chinese place here got shut down for selling 'unidentified' meat,,rumours were it was fox meat, other rumours being they were using pigeon as chicken,,,needless to say I have never been to this place

Pigeon as chicken? Surely anyone can tell the difference

Ecky Thump
13-02-2013, 11:29
Pigeon as chicken? Surely anyone can tell the difference

Of course they can, whoever heard of a chicken with a message tied to its leg!!

Jock
13-02-2013, 20:51
Meat is meat. My old Mum said "A puppy isn't just for Christmas. You can have the leftovers on Boxing Day."

conandina
13-02-2013, 22:14
I think we all need to be careful not to completely ruin the farming industry, because if nothing else, this will result in higher prices. The problem is with meat PRODUCTS - minced meat, burgers,etc. There is no reason to suspect that there is any problem with steak, roast beef etc.

Also, although I agree that we need to question how horse meat of any descriptiohn gets into a slaughterhouse in the UK, the tests these days are so sophisticated that it's possible that the test results we are seeing are because there is a bit of horse DNA in the product. This is an absolutely miniscule, not even visible material.

TOTO 99
21-02-2013, 18:28
Oh dear...It looks like the fun is about to start in the eateries of Tenerife.

According to Janet's site, distributor Greatco have had meat impounded following the discovery of horsemeat, some up to 40% horsemeat in fact, destined for bars & restaurants....

casabonny
21-02-2013, 18:38
Oh dear...It looks like the fun is about to start in the eateries of Tenerife.

According to Janet's site, distributor Greatco have had meat impounded following the discovery of horsemeat, some up to 40% horsemeat in fact, destined for bars & restaurants....

So who do they supply then? British or Canarian or both ? which bar owners will be brave enough to admit they are buying from this source or any other apparently using horsemeat.
I for one do not frequent British bars and always eat meat and will not be put off my lovely yummy fillet steak ( and I have been served horsemeat as steak in France once and you can tell the difference very easily).If its going to effect our health will we die, probably not from eating horsemeat, but one things for sure we will all die sometime, so continue to enjoy the foods you love, you dont fall out of love with a person because they have cancer/ depression or other aliment so whats the difference?

TOTO 99
21-02-2013, 18:49
So who do they supply then? British or Canarian or both ? which bar owners will be brave enough to admit they are buying from this source or any other apparently using horsemeat.
I for one do not frequent British bars and always eat meat and will not be put off my lovely yummy fillet steak ( and I have been served horsemeat as steak in France once and you can tell the difference very easily).If its going to effect our health will we die, probably not from eating horsemeat, but one things for sure we will all die sometime, so continue to enjoy the foods you love, you dont fall out of love with a person because they have cancer/ depression or other aliment so whats the difference?

To be honest, I think it's just the thought of it that bothers most people. we're just not used to it. I think generally we consume far worse over the years but choose to ignore it....

rosemary
21-02-2013, 19:10
The issue is not really horsemeat. It's the fraud. Who the hell knows for sure what is in anything we are served up these days. Eat veggies! Can they adulterate those??

warbey
21-02-2013, 19:55
The issue is not really horsemeat. It's the fraud. Who the hell knows for sure what is in anything we are served up these days. Eat veggies! Can they adulterate those??

I agree..

Do You know what is used for Fertiliser to GROW the Veggies..? .:pray::pray:

imablue
21-02-2013, 19:57
there,s a good mix for Rhubarb ......:laugh:

tracy hampshire
22-02-2013, 20:07
i personally would hate to think i was eating horse meat, i had horses as pets all my childhood, to me itīs like eating my dog !!!!, so itīs the local butcher for me for now, he buys his meat locally, or of course fish, had two lovely fish bbqs this week, goat stew tonight xxxx

henry
22-02-2013, 22:06
today i took my dog out by the guaza school and talking to some spanish people. who dogs play with mine. and they told me that two people allready got sick with the horse meat. one here in la ortava tenerife and the other in las palmas. i told them where you heard that!! they replay it all over the news!! so i said o.k. i wait to see the 8óclock news. i watch the news for 30 mins and i havnīt heard anything about it!! has anyone else heard bout this news? that two people got very sick from eatting the horse meat. even i look all over the news and i canīt find nothing about it!!