PDA

View Full Version : Help - my computer just crashed with a message that all my word docs were corrupted

Faraway
12-02-2013, 15:26
I canīt do anything with it so have taken the battery out!

funnyman772
12-02-2013, 18:06
When you say you can't do anything with it, does that mean it won't boot?
If so, you've got some kind of hardware problem - memory, hard disc, mother-board worn out, most likely.
In this case, your only hope is a hardware maintenance boy and hope it's not the hard disc (unless you're one of the 3 people in the world that backs up their data regularly). This will not be cheap! Try to avoid major retailers as they tend to employ whoever will accept minimum wage. Go for an experienced independent - perhaps someone else could help with this?
If it does boot, check for ~ prefixed files with the same name as the corrupt files.
If you find any, try opening them. You may need to respond to a prompt or two to get this to work.
These are the auto-save files that Word creates every 10 minutes or so while you're editing.
Normally they disappear when you close and save a file. In your circumstances, however, they are likely to be the most up to date version of the document. Anything written to the document after the auto-save file was created will be lost.
If they open up, check that everything looks ok.
If it's full of strange characters, check the font settings are correct (see top of screen/ribbon).
If they're wrong, select whole document (ctrl-a) then change the font to what it should be then press Esc key to clear the highlight.
If that works, whoopee! Save the file.
If not, then try deleting the normal.dot file (with all files closed). It will re-create when a file is opened so, if possible, open a file that isn't corrupt, to create a kosher normal.dot, then try opening one of the auto-save files and see what happens.
Whatever happens, you must run a virus check (make sure your virus checker is fully up to date first) and a good Malware checker like Malwarebytes (download free version of the interwebs) as there are viruses and malware out there that can cause this problem.
Best of luck!

Fivepence
12-02-2013, 18:10
:welcome: to the forum FM.

funnyman772
12-02-2013, 18:17
Cheers FP!
It feels a lot warmer already, even tho' I haven't moved yet.

Leam_Lin
12-02-2013, 19:10
Cheers FP!
It feels a lot warmer already, even tho' I haven't moved yet.

Welcome to the forum, just down the A5 from me.