PDA

View Full Version : Internet Is WiFi access in bars in Tenerife legal?

junglejim
13-02-2013, 13:22
We have been having discussions on our complex about providing a WIFI hotspot for guests , free of charge and paid for by community .
A couple of the WIFI provider companies have been in giving quotes up to €3K per year -all we want is a local router and signal around reception,cafe but we are being told that it would contravene Data Laws as we would be an ISP provider and have to retain usersīdata - surely that is Telefonicaīs responsibility ?
Does that mean all the cafes and bars that supply WIFI are in the same situation ?
Does anyone have any experience of this ?

Fivepence
13-02-2013, 13:44
We have been having discussions on our complex about providing a WIFI hotspot for guests , free of charge and paid for by community .
A couple of the WIFI provider companies have been in giving quotes up to €3K per year -all we want is a local router and signal around reception,cafe but we are being told that it would contravene Data Laws as we would be an ISP provider and have to retain usersīdata - surely that is Telefonicaīs responsibility ?
Does that mean all the cafes and bars that supply WIFI are in the same situation ?

Sounds like Bull to me JJ, Telefonica would still be the ISP. :spin:

delderek
13-02-2013, 13:55

Some companies will install a system for the complex foc, and charge only for usage, Cyberspot I believe was the name of the company that did ours a couple of years ago.

junglejim
13-02-2013, 14:01
Yes we have that Delderek but at over €40 per month itīs a poor system and limited bandwidth - many guests complain of poor or no access and unable to Skype etc.
We are hoping to provide a local hotspot signal inside our complex that will give simple access at no cost to guests to give access to emails etc.
I have my own ADSL which I will be keeping!

seanocelt
13-02-2013, 14:22
EU were meant to standardise telecom industry -ha! UK is practically a free wifi Zone, here its a money maker, same as mobiles . As bad as their referees these telecom companies in Spain!