PDA

View Full Version : Relocation looking for property.....need info on area

timmsy
17-02-2013, 14:43
Hope someone can give me extra help. We have recently.....infact only 2 days ago.....returned
Tenerife where we have been viewing properties. One of them was just outside Las Galletas
which we loved. The estate agent told us how good it was etc etc but i dont really trust them as
they primarily just want to sell. Can anyone give me an honest appraisal of the area in terms of
rental potential for a villa with pool? Thanks in anticipation :hi::hi::hi::hi::hi:

Limbs
17-02-2013, 15:45
You'd better have a read of this thread first!: http://www.tenerifeforum.org/tenerife-forum/showthread.php?23-The-Tenerife-illegal-lettings-thread&highlight=janet

chifleta
17-02-2013, 15:52
as with anywhere on the island, there are good and bad parts... which area was it? personally I think with purchasing to exploit a property, it's the luck of the draw whether it works well for you or not .... especially, or even more so, in todays financial climate...

Suzanne
17-02-2013, 15:57
if it is a villa you cannot rent it as a holiday let, only long term.

fixer
17-02-2013, 15:59
Dont think you can legally rent the villa unless its part off tourist complex and done by onsite agent i stand to be corrected off course this how i understand the Tenerife letting law. David

carpenter
17-02-2013, 16:19
Las Galletas is a beautiful, vibrant, trendy area that has some not so nice neighbouring "cheap" satellite villages. Silencio and El Fraile spring to mind as two places that do not attract high rents no matter what property you have. Crime levels are high in comparison to other towns and villages and all the crime that happens in Los Cris and Las Americas is usually perpetrated by residents of these areas.

There's also Estrella that is a lovely banana plantation gathering of large villas and Las Rosas that seems to be the preverbial rug that Tenerife has lifted up and swept all its rubbish under.

Estates agents are fast becoming redundant in Tenerife, last year a bank sold a 3 bed apartment in El Fraile for €13,000 (thirteen thousand).

If you want to rent out a property buy one in London or any university town/city :) There are so many empty/unfinished apartments and villas in Tenerife not to mention the amount of 1 and 2 bed apartments that are being sold due to the illegal lettings rubbish, and the banks have many more on their books that they are selling due to people handing their keys back and those that they have repossessed.
I can't see the sense in buying anything in Tenerife unless you plan to live in it yourself.

Suej
17-02-2013, 16:29
Las Galletas is a beautiful, vibrant, trendy area that has some not so nice neighbouring "cheap" satellite villages. Silencio and El Fraile spring to mind as two places that do not attract high rents no matter what property you have. Crime levels are high in comparison to other towns and villages and all the crime that happens in Los Cris and Las Americas is usually perpetrated by residents of these areas.

There's also Estrella that is a lovely banana plantation gathering of large villas and Las Rosas that seems to be the preverbial rug that Tenerife has lifted up and swept all its rubbish under.

Estates agents are fast becoming redundant in Tenerife, last year a bank sold a 3 bed apartment in El Fraile for €13,000 (thirteen thousand).

If you want to rent out a property buy one in London or any university town/city :) There are so many empty/unfinished apartments and villas in Tenerife not to mention the amount of 1 and 2 bed apartments that are being sold due to the illegal lettings rubbish, and the banks have many more on their books that they are selling due to people handing their keys back and those that they have repossessed.
I can't see the sense in buying anything in Tenerife unless you plan to live in it yourself.

I have never visited either of these areas but constantly hear of their bad reputation! Are they that bad?:scared:

carpenter
17-02-2013, 16:36
I have never visited either of these areas but constantly hear of their bad reputation! Are they that bad?:scared:

Sue have you seen Jeremy Kyle?

chifleta
17-02-2013, 16:43

Now now carpenter, don't compare Fraile to Silencio thanks - crime levels here in Fraile aren't as high as Silencio, it's not perfect here, but it is heaps better and safer than Silencio IMO, maybe not in a tourist way (THANK GAWD) but in a long term living with the locals, and many other nationalities (including many of us Brits that prefer to avoid fellow Brits and avoid that particular "clique"). It really miffs me off when people make other believe that all the crims of the island live here, i've been in this village for a long time - a very long time - yes, you will always get your rough sort, dodgy characters etc etc, but I can say i've never had a problem, no-one has ever tried to mug me, no-one has ever tried to break into my apartment, I don't walk down the street with my head down avoiding eye contact - yes i've seen the "chonnis" on certain corners selling drugs, i've heard of a couple of muggings, but nothing compared to what I read on the forum here about the golf and silencio.. and NO you cannot say "that's because a cat never dumps in their own yard", that's bollards.... I will now step off my soapbox, as I get a bit sick of defending my home village.

Also, regarding a previous comment... does anyone actually take notice of that holiday letting law? because the way I see it, not many do .... it seems to me to be a risk a LOT of ex-pats are willing to take.

Back to original topic, again, there are good and bad areas like I said and it's the luck of the draw, and depending on how you want to exploit it and whether you will be relying on income to pay the bills ... I always said to OH, if/when we buy another property, we must be able to pay everything without having to rent it, and then if it was rented, well it would be a bonus income. But as we can't afford to even think about buying another property, we'll just wait to win the lottery LOL

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

I can't comment on Silencio as much as never have and never wanted to live there... i've lived in Cristianos, hated it, Garachico, loved it but work is in South, Galletas, was very noisy at the time before the moped bike laws came into effect so never enjoyed living there (this was way back when the road in front of Banca March didn't exist, and i've lived in Fraile (rented and now buying) for 18 years I think.... It annoys me that people don't just come and have a look round for themselves ...

carpenter
17-02-2013, 16:49
Now now carpenter, don't compare Fraile to Silencio thanks - crime levels here in Fraile aren't as high as Silencio, it's not perfect here, but it is heaps better and safer than Silencio IMO, maybe not in a tourist way (THANK GAWD) but in a long term living with the locals, and many other nationalities (including many of us Brits that prefer to avoid fellow Brits and avoid that particular "clique"). It really miffs me off when people make other believe that all the crims of the island live here, i've been in this village for a long time - a very long time - yes, you will always get your rough sort, dodgy characters etc etc, but I can say i've never had a problem, no-one has ever tried to mug me, no-one has ever tried to break into my apartment, I don't walk down the street with my head down avoiding eye contact - yes i've seen the "chonnis" on certain corners selling drugs, i've heard of a couple of muggings, but nothing compared to what I read on the forum here about the golf and silencio.. and NO you cannot say "that's because a cat never dumps in their own yard", that's bollards.... I will now step off my soapbox, as I get a bit sick of defending my home village.

Also, regarding a previous comment... does anyone actually take notice of that holiday letting law? because the way I see it, not many do .... it seems to me to be a risk a LOT of ex-pats are willing to take.

Back to original topic, again, there are good and bad areas like I said and it's the luck of the draw, and depending on how you want to exploit it and whether you will be relying on income to pay the bills ... I always said to OH, if/when we buy another property, we must be able to pay everything without having to rent it, and then if it was rented, well it would be a bonus income. But as we can't afford to even think about buying another property, we'll just wait to win the lottery LOL

You took over 20 mins to reply! You're slacking!

I like Fraile but would I live there? That's a no from me sorry. I love the way you pushed all the blame in Silencio's direction ;)

timmsy
17-02-2013, 16:53
The actual area is Oroteanda Baja. Do you know about that particular area?

carpenter
17-02-2013, 17:04
thats were euromeat is i think.
great location for the TF1 and the shops in las chafiras but i've never known anyone to live there sorry

Margaretta
17-02-2013, 17:36
The villas are quite large there and it is a quite long way from Silencio Las Galletas and El Fraile. As Carpenter has said, it is much nearer to Las Chafiras than the coast which is about 10 mins drive. There is the massively popular restaurant with the lamb on the end of the main thoroughfare.
Quite rural and nothing really bad. Certainly residential rather than a holiday resort. I think there is still a horse-riding business there and also Euromeats. There are small roads like country lanes across the interesting terrain and little streets of small villas too. It is near Karting, Suters, and Guaza is easily accessed as is the motorway. There are a number of 'tunnels' under the motorway to facilitate moving north and the road to Silencio is one of my favourites: a glorious drive with natural areas to view left and right.
Lots of friendly people and facilities in Silencio and the stunning Amarilla Montana. Yes there have been a few unpleasant incidents in the past but with such a vast population it is to be expected and rare by ratio. It is an area which began with a lot of hope but is looking tired and unfinished due to the recession. Not the fault of the lovely natural surroundings and friendly people.
We love Las Galletas for its shops, seaside bars, the harbour and the quaintness of the streets and doorways. Its Canarian qualities. Good fun during the fiestas too.
El Fraile is very multicultural and maybe needs a bit more development by the sea. Not as easyor as far to 'promenade' as Las Galletas. We explored and liked it there.
As with all these places you would be careful where you walked at night. Alcohol-fuelling can cause problems anywhere!
OB is a surprising choice for a rental but I really would be happy to live there.

Suej
17-02-2013, 18:05
I can't comment on Silencio as much as never have and never wanted to live there... i've lived in Cristianos, hated it, Garachico, loved it but work is in South, Galletas, was very noisy at the time before the moped bike laws came into effect so never enjoyed living there (this was way back when the road in front of Banca March didn't exist, and i've lived in Fraile (rented and now buying) for 18 years I think.... It annoys me that people don't just come and have a look round for themselves ...

Ah! is that an invite for a cuppa chiffy round at yours! I accept!:spin: do you have some cakes?:yum: Is carpenter on a wind up!:eyebrows:

fixer
17-02-2013, 19:26
Also, regarding a previous comment... does anyone actually take notice of that holiday letting law? because the way I see it, not many do .... it seems to me to be a risk a LOT of ex-pats are willing to take/
And 18,000 fines for those who were caught a big risk the basic things still apply dont buy if you cant afford the mortgage without renting.

BobMac
18-02-2013, 13:33
Hope someone can give me extra help. We have recently.....infact only 2 days ago.....returned
Tenerife where we have been viewing properties. One of them was just outside Las Galletas
which we loved. The estate agent told us how good it was etc etc but i dont really trust them as
they primarily just want to sell. Can anyone give me an honest appraisal of the area in terms of
rental potential for a villa with pool? Thanks in anticipation :hi::hi::hi::hi::hi:

I'd suggest you contact Forum Member Loaded (http://www.tenerifeforum.org/tenerife-forum/member.php?112-Loaded)

He is probably best placed to help you on this

timmylish
18-02-2013, 13:43
I would say, from a renting out position and forgetting the letting laws for the moment, that the location of this villa is, isolated! If I,m correct then the villa would have to be quite exceptional to get the amount of interest you would need!
Just my very personal opinion, as per usual!

BobMac
18-02-2013, 13:45
I would say, from a renting out position and forgetting the letting laws for the moment, that the location of this villa is, isolated! If I,m correct then the villa would have to be quite exceptional to get the amount of interest you would need!
Just my very personal opinion, as per usual!

Unfortunately, you can't forget them; that's what has got this thread running - people did try to forget them.

chifleta
18-02-2013, 14:40
You took over 20 mins to reply! You're slacking!

I like Fraile but would I live there? That's a no from me sorry. I love the way you pushed all the blame in Silencio's direction ;)

LOL that's coz I was having my daily nosey through the forum.

Nahh, don't push the blame, just the truth hehehe. I have heard firsthand of problems there is all, from the horses mouth (before Tescos served them up as beef lasagna hehehehe)... Fraile has a bad reputation of old, and it stuck, but most of the probs here were sorted yonks ago.

The actual area is Oroteanda Baja. Do you know about that particular area?

ahhhh that villa.... it's not Las Galletas

Ah! is that an invite for a cuppa chiffy round at yours! I accept!:spin: do you have some cakes?:yum: Is carpenter on a wind up!:eyebrows:

ohhh you should have popped round valentines day, I made some yummy butternut squash cupcakes .... carpenter loves to try wind me up, oh wait, he loves to wind everyone up :laugh: