PDA

View Full Version : Employment Is it legal to advertise for work before registering?

danno
17-02-2013, 16:24
Hi All,
I come to live in Tenerife next week. I was wondering if it is legal to place an advert for electronics repairs in a local paper without first registering for work. I would not want to register for work & have to pay national insurance contributions etc if the advert did not bring in any work. So I wanted to test the water first. But wondered if it is Ok from a legal point of view. To do it the other way round, would be a bit like putting the cart before the horse. Any advice appreciated.

TenerifeTeddy
17-02-2013, 18:22
The simple answer is no, it is not legal to undertake work as self-employed without first registering as Autonomo and paying Social Security (though many do so).
There is a scheme being discussed by the Cabildo for new self employed to pay a much reduced amount of Social Security - €50 instead of €250+ per month, aimed mostly at getting the younger self employed earning, but I don't know how far that is from actually happening.

danno
17-02-2013, 19:03
The simple answer is no, it is not legal to undertake work as self-employed without first registering as Autonomo and paying Social Security (though many do so).
There is a scheme being discussed by the Cabildo for new self employed to pay a much reduced amount of Social Security - €50 instead of €250+ per month, aimed mostly at getting the younger self employed earning, but I don't know how far that is from actually happening.

Hi Teddy, Thanks for that info, I had heard similar stories for certain other countries. Although it makes you wonder what the lawmakers have between their ears. You can imagine how many people would be put off testing a new business idea if they have to pay a huge chunk of money, even if does not get off the grd. You would have thought one way to improve the economy might be to allow people to start a new business & advertise it, then if they earn money to pay their taxes & NI accordingly. But Im sure the lower rate NI is a way forward (If it happens!) Thanks again.

9PLUS
17-02-2013, 22:47
It's been said, NO,

Could you pull it off legally in the UK?

Look out for people being pulled that advertise and aren't legal the Hacienda have a new statistics team in just like they did 2 years ago, so more than likely going to be a crackdown soon.

danno
17-02-2013, 22:57
It's been said, NO,

Could you pull it off legally in the UK?

Look out for people being pulled that advertise and aren't legal the Hacienda have a new statistics team in just like they did 2 years ago, so more than likely going to be a crackdown soon.

errr, sorry I dont understand your comment.
In the UK for an example you could legally advertise a service & see if there was any demand for it, without having to 1st register as self employed. And if you did decide to start the business, you would not pay 250 a month if you had a very low turn over.

9PLUS
18-02-2013, 00:34
Doesn't work like the UK, you'll find a lot of things are very different as you go on.

It's unfair but, the Social payments (NI) aren't proportional to what you earn.

You know it's more like €275 a month i believe if you're over 30 or been in self employed for more than 2 years (something like that don't quote me though)

Then a whole load more contributions

If you think that's a lot, try employing someone on a full time contract.