PDA

View Full Version : Man found guilty of the beheading murder in Tenerife

Canarian Weekly
22-02-2013, 13:20
THE murder trial of Bulgarian Deyan Deyanov is due to conclude on Friday, February 22nd, with the jury presenting their verdict following several days of gruelling testimony describing the horrific killing of 60 year-old Jennifer Mills-Westley on May 13th, 2011 in Los Cristianos.
As the trial reached the end of the penultimate day, the court heard testimony via video link from a couple inWarrington,UK, describing the brutal attack in such detail that Ms. Mills-Westley’s daughter Samantha was unable to hold back the tears.
The trial had kicked off on Monday with the prosecution and defence both stating their cases to the nine-member jury.
The victim is survived by daughters Sarah Louise Mears and Samantha Mills-Westley who were in attendance along with Ms Mear’s partner and the victim’s brother and wife, at the Palacio de Justicia, in the island’s capital,Santa Cruz de Tenerife.
On Monday Deyanov sat motionless dressed in a grey jumper and dark tracksuit bottoms and trainers with his back to the public, guarded by two armed National Police Officers.
The trial began with the court official detailing the attack, the resulting investigation and the murder charges against the accused.
He stated that the prosecution were calling for 20 years detention in a secure psychiatric unit and 200,000 euros compensation for the victim’s family.
The prosecutor addressed the jury with his opening statement claiming he had clear proof that Deyanov was guilty.
He then explained how he expected the case to proceed.
Attention then turned to the defense, who reiterated much of what the prosecutor had said.
He then urged the jury to disregard any sensational press reporting they may have been exposed to. “These are serious charges, “said lawyer Francisco Beltran Aroca, “and the prosecution will be presenting my client as a killer as has the press, however he is a sick man.
“A sick person needs help, which he never had, and without it, it’s easy to turn to crime. Without help they will do things with no awareness of the gravity or consequences of their actions.
“I ask you to put yourselves in his position, living on the streets, struggling with mental health issues, so I ask you for a verdict and a punishment proportional to the crime whilst bearing in mind the mental state of the accused.”
As court usher prepared video equipment to show footage from the scene of the crime, Deyanov demanded that he too be allowed to see the evidence and his chair was turned to reveal his handcuffed wrists on the table in front of him.
He stared unblinking at the screen with no sign of remorse in his dark rimmed eyes.
The court fell silent as the violent and distressing images were shown to which some were seen to react in horror.
The evidence went on for more than ten minutes, during which time Deyanov became increasingly restless, but never taking his eyes from the screen.
Throughout, the proceedings the victim’s family, who were not exposed to the shocking images, sat quietly in the front row of the spectator section clearly at a loss as to what was taking place before them in the Spanish court.
Deyanov was then questioned by the prosecution and the defence, after confirming to the judge he understood his rights.
He did not understand however of what he was accused, despite seeing the video. He claimed to have no recollection of the day or the events and after the blood stained knife was produced as evidence he once again stated he recalled nothing, not even that he’d been inTenerife. Finally the prosecution asked if he was taking medication for his condition at this time to which he replied no.
The defence then set about showing that Deyanov was and is seriously disturbed. After re-establishing his lack of memory of the incident he asked him did you do drugs.
“Yes he said, crack and LSD.”
“You told me you hear voices”
“Yes.” he said
“What do they say?”
“They tell me I’m an angel of Jesus Christ. I’ve heard these voices for five years they are my guardians, they look after me. Sometimes they say kill, sometimes they say fight, hit, pray”
With that the judge then called Sarah Mears to take the stand on the matter of compensation.
Sarah showed little emotion as she stated that she had no previous knowledge of the accused nor did her mother, “I just want justice for my mum.”
Two witnesses then gave their evidence, both confirming the identity of the accused claiming he was the same man they had seen, covered in blood from the waist down and carrying the victim’s head in his right hand. They said he’d appeared extremely agitated as he ran from the Chinese shop.
The trial will conclude with the jury’s verdict and sentencing by the presiding judge

More... (http://www.canarianweekly.com/im-angel-jesus-christ/)

Malteser Monkey
22-02-2013, 13:35
THE murder trial of Bulgarian Deyan Deyanov is due to conclude on Friday, February 22nd, with the jury presenting their verdict following several days of gruelling testimony describing the horrific killing of 60 year-old Jennifer Mills-Westley on May 13th, 2011 in Los Cristianos. As the trial reached the end of the penultimate day, the court [...]

More... (http://www.canarianweekly.com/im-angel-jesus-christ/)

needs stringing up by his cojo.........

such a horrific story - that poor family

primrose
22-02-2013, 15:57
Found Guilty-

Malteser Monkey
22-02-2013, 16:02
Found Guilty-

Really ?? Good

15 - 20 years in a psychiatric unit - hmmmmmmmmmmm

primrose
22-02-2013, 16:12
Really ?? Good

Just been on BBC News.

Margaretta
22-02-2013, 17:33
And who is going to pay for his treatment? Maybe deportation to Bulgaria and kept in a Bulgarian psychiatric unit.

TOTO 99
22-02-2013, 17:38
And who is going to pay for his treatment? Maybe deportation to Bulgaria and kept in a Bulgarian psychiatric unit.

Are you suggesting they let him go?

Megaloo
22-02-2013, 18:28
Man is found guilty of the brutal murder in 2011

http://news.sky.com/story/1055670/beheading-man-guilty-of-brit-grans-murder

warbey
22-02-2013, 19:53
Are you suggesting they let him go?

Reading another Thread, looks as if He has been let go twice all ready.

He lived near Us not too long ago.

Whoever pays, I wish those who released Him were made to see the Results at close quarters.

Oh Yes........ We will note this Incident..bla...bla...bla.....

Shove Him on a Plane to Bulgaria, as the U.K. recently received a Paedophile from Aussie Land.

Margaretta
22-02-2013, 19:59
Toto! I'm shocked!! Of course not! Sorry not to have explained myself clearly.
Quite the reverse.
I'm just wondering whether it may be tougher for him in a Bulgarian hospital. Remember, Tenerife will have to pay for his lifelong treatment. He's very unbalanced but even someone in that state is unlikely to commit such a horror so he must have both treatment and isolation for life. That will be hugely expensive. Trying to think of a solution that won't hurt Tenerife but will punish him.

Sal
22-02-2013, 20:10
Toto! I'm shocked!! Of course not! Sorry not to have explained myself clearly.
Quite the reverse.
I'm just wondering whether it may be tougher for him in a Bulgarian hospital. Remember, Tenerife will have to pay for his lifelong treatment. He's very unbalanced but even someone in that state is unlikely to commit such a horror so he must have both treatment and isolation for life. That will be hugely expensive. Trying to think of a solution that won't hurt Tenerife but will punish him.

I'm with you Margaretta. After committing such a horrific crime, why should Tenerife pay for his incarceration? He should return to Bulgaria.

Sal
22-02-2013, 20:22
Finally! Hope this brings closure for the family.

marbro8
23-02-2013, 00:53
Finally! Hope this brings closure for the family.i don't know about 20 years??? i think 50 at least, then he will be to old and frail to do any one any more harm when he does get out:(

Malteser Monkey
23-02-2013, 10:16
i don't know about 20 years??? i think 50 at least, then he will be to old and frail to do any one any more harm when he does get out:(

Depends on what drugs are about eh ?

Terrible

bonitatime
23-02-2013, 15:52
My fear right now would be if returned to Bulgaria that he would be released. If it could be confirmed that this wouldn't happen then sending him home is a good option. If not then keeping him in Spain seems the only option. I wold presume at least for now he will be returned to Sevilla

carpenter
23-02-2013, 18:31
I can't believe what I'm hearing. some of you are saying "put him on a plane to Bulgaria and let them pay for his treatment"

Which roughly translates as "pop him on a plane so he can go back home so he can be near his family and enjoy the next 20 years of incarceration"

Imagine you still lived in the UK and some foreign immigrant or holiday maker took the life of your mother in the most brutal and public way. Would you be happy to see him flown back to his country to serve his time or stay in the UK in a maximum security prison where you are notified of any parole hearing and release dates etc etc.

How do you know that Bulgaria wouldn't re evaluate him in 12 months time and declare him fit for release? That his mental condition was a flash attack and is very unlikely to reoccur?

Spain let him in
His Crime was in Spain
He was arrested by Spanish Police
He stood trial and was convicted and sentenced in a Spanish Court

And now after all that he should be shipped out??? They should've just found him not guilty if money was an issue.

He should stay in Spain and serve his time, yes it's expensive but that's what taxes are for. I'm amazed that people want him sent home I really am

Fivepence
23-02-2013, 19:04
I can't believe what I'm hearing. some of you are saying "put him on a plane to Bulgaria and let them pay for his treatment"

Which roughly translates as "pop him on a plane so he can go back home so he can be near his family and enjoy the next 20 years of incarceration"

Imagine you still lived in the UK and some foreign immigrant or holiday maker took the life of your mother in the most brutal and public way. Would you be happy to see him flown back to his country to serve his time or stay in the UK in a maximum security prison where you are notified of any parole hearing and release dates etc etc.

How do you know that Bulgaria wouldn't re evaluate him in 12 months time and declare him fit for release? That his mental condition was a flash attack and is very unlikely to reoccur?

Spain let him in
His Crime was in Spain
He was arrested by Spanish Police
He stood trial and was convicted and sentenced in a Spanish Court

And now after all that he should be shipped out??? They should've just found him not guilty if money was an issue.

He should stay in Spain and serve his time, yes it's expensive but that's what taxes are for. I'm amazed that people want him sent home I really am

I agree with your analogy Carpenter but ............he thinks he is an angel, I would have granted his wish. :mad:

carpenter
23-02-2013, 19:42
I agree with your analogy Carpenter but ............he thinks he is an angel, I would have granted his wish. :mad:

I presume that you are talking about the death penalty.
That's a grey area with me, although I do feel that these people have no right or place on this earth I also feel that the death penalty is too quick and when it's done that's it! Nothing more no more justice can be served.. it's not enough despite being the ultimate punishment.
I think these people should be used as test subjects or living organ donors that must supply the needy with life saving transplants but that would be slightly against human rights.

Maybe history should be repeated ? What do you think?

warbey
23-02-2013, 21:15
carpenter, There are People who murder in cold Blood.

There are also Headcases who dont know what They are doing. There are Headcases who also take Drugs to make it worse.

and there are People who wriggle out of almost anything.

^This Man is a nutter. I have heard one or two things from when He lived in this Area.
Send Him back and shut the Gates to the E.U.

As a Christian I believe the Words, "vengeance is Mine saith the Lord".
If this is true, No-one gets away with anything........?

Margaretta
24-02-2013, 14:22
No way was I thinking of Bulgaria as an easy option!!
In fact I had the impression that middle European prisons and institutions were much more basic and severe than those in Spain.

carpenter
24-02-2013, 21:20
carpenter, There are People who murder in cold Blood.

There are also Headcases who dont know what They are doing. There are Headcases who also take Drugs to make it worse.

and there are People who wriggle out of almost anything.

^This Man is a nutter. I have heard one or two things from when He lived in this Area.
Send Him back and shut the Gates to the E.U.

As a Christian I believe the Words, "vengeance is Mine saith the Lord".
If this is true, No-one gets away with anything........?

Hmmmm that's the same as Karma or swings and roundabouts isn't it? What goes around comes around!

Sorry but not an ounce of religion in my body and so am I to believe that God will serve justice on this man that claimed to be his angel?
You asked "If this is true No-one gets away with anything?" I think you already know my answer to this one. I have never seen any evidence that a higher being is in residence in Valhalla or Babylon or Nirvana or any of the other places that people worship.

Religion has got the world into 99% of all wars (now it's oil) so would I trust something as evil as religion to serve justice? No

Margaretta
28-02-2013, 17:04
Well, he's got 20 years to start with and probably a court hearing if he wants parole after that. It seems he may be going to Seville and the Spanish Governement will have to pay for his keep. He will have to work as so far it seems he is to pay the family 100.000 euros for the life of their mother!!! With a head full of drugs and alcohol and the terrible crime he committed life should mean life...but should Bulgaria have allowed him to travel out of the country in the first place? I think the Bulgarians should bear the financial burden and be committed to do so.

warbey
28-02-2013, 21:00
Well, he's got 20 years to start with and probably a court hearing if he wants parole after that. It seems he may be going to Seville and the Spanish Governement will have to pay for his keep. He will have to work as so far it seems he is to pay the family 100.000 euros for the life of their mother!!! With a head full of drugs and alcohol and the terrible crime he committed life should mean life...but should Bulgaria have allowed him to travel out of the country in the first place? I think the Bulgarians should bear the financial burden and be committed to do so.

You can hardly blame the Bulgarians for Him not taking Medication, Drugs being available and Him taking them.
He should still go back from whence He came, so to speak.. Other Countries do it.......:tiphat:

slodgedad
01-03-2013, 02:05
I have merged the various threads on the subject.

Canarian Weekly
01-03-2013, 11:40
DEYAN DEYANOV was sentenced yesterday (Thursday) to 20 years in a secure psychiatric unit for the beheading of Norwich grandmother, Jennifer Mills-Westley in Los Cristianos, in May 2011. The 20-year term was requested by the prosecution and is the maximum term for murder in the Spanish penal system. Defence lawyer Francisco Beltran Aroca told Canarian [...]

More... (http://www.canarianweekly.com/justice-jennifer/)

Susief
01-03-2013, 17:03
20 years! Is that long enough! If he comes out then he will still only be 47!

At least Jennifer's family can get on with their lives! It won't bring her back but knowing he is locked up securely will help and that he can't do it to somebody else.

RIP Jennifer x