PDA

View Full Version : Other How can we support Tenerife?

Margaretta
22-02-2013, 20:25
After today's verdict concerning the murder in Los Cristianos, other murders, recent and past, have been mentioned. Stories about the unemployment, theft, flies, fires, lettings problems etc. do not give a great impression of our beautiful island. Unless you book early the flights are really expensive too.

But it is such a beautiful place, friendly, fun, sunshiny and has so much to admire and enjoy.

A lot of people write blogs with stunning pictures and positive reviews. Like so many, I really want to help the island and the people by giving it the many stars it deserves and it is possible that if we all 'do our bit' we could promote more much-needed tourism. I KNOW: you find something wonderful and don't want to share it! BUT the island needs confidence, money, investment, good publicity.

Just a simple idea that everyone who has a Facebook Account, blog or Tweets, puts on great photos and comments about Tenerife. I know that many already do! I haven't got rose-coloured spectacles but maybe eventually some buildings will be finished and the economy will improve. The island is stunning and I doubt whether Mustique, the Caribbean Islands or the Seychelles have more to offer.

Sal
22-02-2013, 20:48
After today's verdict concerning the murder in Los Cristianos, other murders, recent and past, have been mentioned. Stories about the unemployment, theft, flies, fires, lettings problems etc. do not give a great impression of our beautiful island. Unless you book early the flights are really expensive too.

But it is such a beautiful place, friendly, fun, sunshiny and has so much to admire and enjoy.

A lot of people write blogs with stunning pictures and positive reviews. Like so many, I really want to help the island and the people by giving it the many stars it deserves and it is possible that if we all 'do our bit' we could promote more much-needed tourism. I KNOW: you find something wonderful and don't want to share it! BUT the island needs confidence, money, investment, good publicity.

Just a simple idea that everyone who has a Facebook Account, blog or Tweets, puts on great photos and comments about Tenerife. I know that many already do! I haven't got rose-coloured spectacles but maybe eventually some buildings will be finished and the economy will improve. The island is stunning and I doubt whether Mustique, the Caribbean Islands or the Seychelles have more to offer.

I already promote Tenerife as much as possible.................my eldest daughter has now fallen for the island and will make her third visit this year. I post lots of pictures of "hidden Tenerife" like Masca and other non-tourist areas on Facebook. Many friends have visited the island since knowing of our fascination with it and I will continue to promote it as I know it has so much to offer!

warbey
22-02-2013, 21:08
I understand Your sentiments Margaretta I love the Place too, but
good Publicity is earned. Bad Publicity is what the sensationalist Press thrive on.
The Island is My second Home and always will be.

I would be reluctant to encourage ANYONE to go there, without warning them of the Dangers.
How would You feel if a Friend was affected by a crime.?

The Island has Spanish Sovereignity and an Administration, supposedly to keep things running smoothly.
Are They doing so.?
I have recently been on another Island, and had said to Me, You are safer here than There. That was true.
Perhaps it needs to go further Down for the wake-up Call to happen..

I just hope it's soon, for ALL Our sakes.

carpenter
22-02-2013, 22:35

I applaud you determination

Murders happen everywhere; Africa and South Africa, Thailand, Mexico, Caracas, Jamaica, London etc etc do any of these places blame the state of their tourism industry on these statistics? No I don't think so. People realise the dangers and take appropriate precautions

Unemployment, poverty these two things don't put people off travelling to Brazil do they?

Tenerife is a beautiful place but why bother promoting the unspoiled landscapes? They don't appeal to the typical Canarian visitor and anyone who may be interested in these sort of places already know about them (walkers and hikers) these visitors usually stay in the higher towns and villages anyway so most people on this forum would never see one.

The fires if anything probably encouraged visitors.

I agree the island needs good publicity because it has a looooooooooong way to go to shed it's tacky name and for as long as veronica's is there it will never do this.

Flights are not expensive! It's a 4 hours flight! It's just that it's a cheap destination so people won't pay that much to get there! If you booked at a five star hotel then paying a few hundred quid for a flight is a drop in the ocean.

Take a look around Los Cris next time you are down there, footy shirts, beer bellies and a total lack of culture from the Great British tourist, no one with any choice is going to want to holiday in those surroundings.

Price the scum out of the reef and enjoy a better class of visitor.

slodgedad
23-02-2013, 01:05
The problem is the same with everything reputation based.

You can spend a lifetime working hard and building a reputation and amounts to Zilch if you make one mistake and the press report it.

No one wants to read happy stuff or look at happy snaps, they all want the dirt and the snidey pictures.

The old saying 'No news is good news' should be reworded, in the society we live in, as; 'Good news is no news'

TF1
23-02-2013, 11:53
The island is one of the best places to live in the world. It has a sub-tropical climate, clean air and all year sunshine with European social values and security. However ....... like many parts of Spain, it has been screwed politically. The democratic transition has been a free-for-all for the corrupt politicians, police, judges and bankers. This is not just the case nationally, but down to a local level. Mismanagement of our towns and municipalities is the norm.
So my answer, Margaretta, is that we can and should help the island by getting involved politically, by voting, and by pushing for change. When the island is fixed, that's the best time to "put it on the market".

Margaretta
23-02-2013, 12:29
I appreciate the fact that there is an upsurge in crime at the tourist spots and this may be an inevitable result of the unemployment and 'underground' manipulations. I agree with Slodgedad that newspapers seem to have greater support for bad news which is why I am trying to encourage a balance with the many snippets of good promotion which we can engender through our sites. No Warbey, I don't feel guilty about that at all.
We have had our apartment for eight years now and visit frequently for three or four weeks at a time. I rarely have time to meet up with Forum members (although I'd love to) because every time we go different groups of friends join us, sometimes two or three groups during our stay and it's always busy.They seem to love the island too and some are making it an annual pilgrimage (maybe it's my cooked breakfasts!!) We tell them and show them all about the great things about Tenerife and give them a factual but low-key warning about pickpockets, conning in shops and for the young: clubbing dangers (which appear to be little different from elsewhere.) We don't stress them out with fear as there is 95% good and 5% bad everywhere in my opinion. Sadly 'the bad' get all the publicity.
We were talking last month to different Canarian bar owners who rue the 'All-Inclusive' holiday hotels. People don't get out and explore but I suppose a lot of visitors work hard and come just to lay on the beach and drink at night.Fair enough but so sad as they miss so much and 'a change is as good as a rest'. Flights are fine for a couple but for a family of four or five, with necessary luggage, it's very expensive so they may prefer the 'All-Inclusive' option which doesn't help local businesses.
People on the Island write about the weather, good places to visit and live. Canarybird and others show wonderful photos depicting the beauty of the island.
I'm going to start a new 'positives' thread. Yes it may have been done before. It may have few posters as there is so much negativity at the moment but I believe it is needed to address the balance.

marbro8
23-02-2013, 13:06
I already promote Tenerife as much as possible.................my eldest daughter has now fallen for the island and will make her third visit this year. I post lots of pictures of "hidden Tenerife" like Masca and other non-tourist areas on Facebook. Many friends have visited the island since knowing of our fascination with it and I will continue to promote it as I know it has so much to offer! i to try to promote the island, a couple of years ago it was my sis in laws and bro in laws 40th birthday's so instead of a london weekend we took them to los cris for 4 days and they loved it, so last may they brought the 5 teenage kids and 2 girlfriends for 10 days and last october they came again with 2 of the kids, when i am working in peoples houses i encourage them to take a look at the forum for info about the island, in fact my gardener is probably reading this as we speak because he is a member on here:lol:, apart from my actions with my own family i don't know if anyone else i have spread the word to have booked holidays to the island? i certainly hope so, i have even converted my cypriot barber to the idea of holidaying in tenerife simply because it would be cheaper than staying with his own family in limasol!!!

Margaretta
23-02-2013, 14:02
TF1. I know there has been corruption as there is an element in many councils all over the world but it is not every councillor or every council. Again it's a matter of balance.
Where we have our apartment is not on the tourist trail and we do actually feel as though we live there as do the Canarians on either side of us. Now we are less like holiday makers but we are not residents so cannot vote. Like many others we support relevant petitions etc. so as loyal semi-swallows I thought we could lend our support by promoting the island as much as possible on our social sites.
Some councils may have a bad name for certain things (as Arona and the Lifeguards) but we've watched our own council at work over the years: San Miguel de Abona, and all the positive things they do. Ok we would love them to do a lot more but the money they receive is not as much as in the more densely populated areas of Arona, Santa cruz, Puerto etc. They did not expect the recession when they put up for sale parcels of land to create a new village/area. Some parcels became attractive buildings, others were started and abandoned. Since then the council has tried to find ways of disguising the derelict buildings by gardening and using and paying the unemployed to make the area more attractive. They have added a church, a High School and a cultural centre. It's ongoing. We are just a small part of the huge area covered by the council and they are doing improvement work as and when they can afford it and maintaining what they have managed to complete. People are aware of the effects of the recession and admiring and appreciative of what is being done within budget limits. Our friends enjoy seeing new developments/improvements each time they visit.
Maybe there should be more Canarian liaison via a body of interested parties to put forward ideas and help fundraise for improvements. But not interfering. I think the Canarians are very imaginative and capable but are held up by their own bureaucracy, lack of funds and ....some 'manana, manana' which is the way of many citizens in warmer climes. I would certainly want to promote tenerife now and in the future.

TF1
23-02-2013, 15:25
TF1. I know there has been corruption as there is an element in many councils all over the world but it is not every councillor or every council. Again it's a matter of balance.
Where we have our apartment is not on the tourist trail and we do actually feel as though we live there as do the Canarians on either side of us. Now we are less like holiday makers but we are not residents so cannot vote. Like many others we support relevant petitions etc. so as loyal semi-swallows I thought we could lend our support by promoting the island as much as possible on our social sites.
Some councils may have a bad name for certain things (as Arona and the Lifeguards) but we've watched our own council at work over the years: San Miguel de Abona, and all the positive things they do. Ok we would love them to do a lot more but the money they receive is not as much as in the more densely populated areas of Arona, Santa cruz, Puerto etc. They did not expect the recession when they put up for sale parcels of land to create a new village/area. Some parcels became attractive buildings, others were started and abandoned. Since then the council has tried to find ways of disguising the derelict buildings by gardening and using and paying the unemployed to make the area more attractive. They have added a church, a High School and a cultural centre. It's ongoing. We are just a small part of the huge area covered by the council and they are doing improvement work as and when they can afford it and maintaining what they have managed to complete. People are aware of the effects of the recession and admiring and appreciative of what is being done within budget limits. Our friends enjoy seeing new developments/improvements each time they visit.
Maybe there should be more Canarian liaison via a body of interested parties to put forward ideas and help fundraise for improvements. But not interfering. I think the Canarians are very imaginative and capable but are held up by their own bureaucracy, lack of funds and ....some 'manana, manana' which is the way of many citizens in warmer climes. I would certainly want to promote tenerife now and in the future.

Margaretta, just about every town hall in Tenerife is run by PSOE, PP, CC or coalitions. All of those parties have a high ratio of councilors under investigation for fraudulent use of public funds, bribery or extortion. Some are better than others, but of the dozens of politicians who I have worked with, very few are up to the grade. Take the case of the Arona lifeguards. They have not been paid (albeit by a subcontractor) for a ridiculous amount of time, yet the Alcalde is earning over 8000€ per month plus expenses, and gets his wage on the dot. If the counselors at Arona were taking a fair wage, the lifeguards could be paid from public funds. What impression does a tourist in Los Cristianos get upon finding out that the lifeguards on the beach have been waiting for their wages for half a year?
The town halls actually have a lot of revenue at their disposal in relation to the demographics, yet are on the whole still manage to generate huge deficits. Every problem which is apparent in Tenerife to the visitor, and which has been discussed on this forum, could be resolved or avoided with political agility and will. Unfinished buildings, street touts, police not going after organised gangs, shops ripping off tourists, this could all disappear. This is not interfering; those of us who live here pay taxes and have a constitutional right to vote. And those who visit have the right to air their views regarding what's right and wrong.
It is a positive move that you believe in promoting the island, but I believe in channeling my own energy towards improving it first.

Speaking of which, its almost 3pm and we're just about to leave for the anti-corruption demonstration in Sta Cruz. If I get any photos of old ladies being beaten by the police, I'll post them here once I'm out on bail.:lol:

bonitatime
23-02-2013, 15:45
Not sure where the march is but I just went thorough the centre of Santa Cruz and saw no one place with lots of people.
I try to share photos of the island on my FB page regularly. The island is beautiful and has a lot to offer.
There is corruption in many places starting at the top with the problems with Barcenas and the main PP offices in Madrid
As for the murder this was terrible but I can't see how Tenerife is responsible. The man was foreign and had been released from care in a third country.

TF1
23-02-2013, 16:31
Not sure where the march is but I just went thorough the centre of Santa Cruz and saw no one place with lots of people.
I try to share photos of the island on my FB page regularly. The island is beautiful and has a lot to offer.
There is corruption in many places starting at the top with the problems with Barcenas and the main PP offices in Madrid
As for the murder this was terrible but I can't see how Tenerife is responsible. The man was foreign and had been released from care in a third country.

Plaza de España, 17:00H till we're all arrested.

EDIT:Sorry, that's 18:00H.

Horsedrawn
23-02-2013, 19:19
"Price the scum out of the reef and enjoy a better class of visitor" whoops I think that means me!! If prices were too high I could not come and stay. Have been on two visits and love the island. Stayed in Los Cris first time and enjoyed it but also explored Mount Tiede and north side. El Medano on second visit this Feb, way too windy!.
Don't be too judgemental, surely all visitors are income for the island?

marbro8
23-02-2013, 20:08
"Price the scum out of the reef and enjoy a better class of visitor" whoops I think that means me!! If prices were too high I could not come and stay. Have been on two visits and love the island. Stayed in Los Cris first time and enjoyed it but also explored Mount Tiede and north side. El Medano on second visit this Feb, way too windy!.
Don't be too judgemental, surely all visitors are income for the island?:lol: don't be to put off i am sure you can't be classed as scum just because you like a bargain break:wink:, well if you are i and many other holiday makers will be with you:lol: tenerife isn't cheap to get to and there are 2-3 parts of the island that attract different types of holiday makers, you have the more sophisticated north side and in the south you have del douque and even parts of los cris and las americas have their posh bits, i personally think there is room for all classes in tenerife at the end of the day just stick to the places that suit you and give the places that don't a miss:wink:

warbey
23-02-2013, 20:35
:lol: don't be to put off i am sure you can't be classed as scum just because you like a bargain break:wink:, well if you are i and many other holiday makers will be with you:lol: tenerife isn't cheap to get to and there are 2-3 parts of the island that attract different types of holiday makers, you have the more sophisticated north side and in the south you have del douque and even parts of los cris and las americas have their posh bits, i personally think there is room for all classes in tenerife at the end of the day just stick to the places that suit you and give the places that don't a miss:wink:

:agree::agree::agree: I may fit in that Class too Mate.!

I understand Carpenter's View too

Hope the Baby is well, apollo too.!

YOUNG GOLFER
23-02-2013, 22:16
We can all do our bit.....seen a nice page on face book....... I LOVE TENERIFE that looks good ........

Tenerife has room for everyone be it a family of four on a budget or swallows enjoying the winter or even the rich enjoying some of the first class hotels we have on offer.

We can offer our support by coming back every year....or some of us guys that work here continue to offer a good service to others who might be thinking of making the move.

And to me 23yrs and still loving it more and more each day just like my wife and children.....Tenerife is the best place on earth.....work hard be nice and really get to know the locals because they are great folk.

timmylish
24-02-2013, 00:35
The comments on this epitomise the difficulties which tenerife will have to face up to over the next ten years or so in that there is no consensus on what action to take! I could take each and every comment, which have been honestly made, and pick a hole in it or suggest that they are wrong. I personally think that the various councils are inept but I,m not totally convinced that it is of criminal intent just that they are not really suited to this line of work and very, very few new people are coming along to replace the current, properly voted for, councillors. In 1996 I was asked by two senior members of the PP in Arona if I would consider joining and having my name put forward to stand in election. Whilst I genually considered the idea of merit I had already been told/asked to go to Moscow for a couple of years and so the job and income had to come formost. I still think that the notion of non-Spaniard standing and being elected has more merit now. If nothing else the diversity of opinions of what is more urgent is likely to raise considerable interest in the Spanish media. The biggest problem, unfortunately, is financial backing and finding a suitable seat where ex-pats had sufficient registered voters. The latter point would be what I would stand for first time around. It would then be possible to carry out the feasability of non Spanish voting. Now thats the political front dealt with and, unfortunately, I come back to my (and others) old chestnut the matter of all inclusive. Yes I know that many would only come here on all inc. That,s fine there is plenty of room for all. What really pisses me off is in some of the advertising on UK TV actually stating that that particular, major player ONLY sell all inc. hols. Now that HAS to be wrong, imho. I look back at the typical holiday maker where only couples and no children are involved and then to see them only going all inc. That is very sad on an island such as ours where they could get out and about, generating income across the board and not just being banked in Germany for the benefit of shareholders.
Anyway, don,t know if the foregoing is sympathetic reading to any members but its the views I have held for a long time, as expressed above.

slodgedad
24-02-2013, 02:42
We can all do our bit.....seen a nice page on face book....... I LOVE TENERIFE that looks good ........

Tenerife has room for everyone be it a family of four on a budget or swallows enjoying the winter or even the rich enjoying some of the first class hotels we have on offer.

We can offer our support by coming back every year....or some of us guys that work here continue to offer a good service to others who might be thinking of making the move.

And to me 23yrs and still loving it more and more each day just like my wife and children.....Tenerife is the best place on earth.....work hard be nice and really get to know the locals because they are great folk.

Agree completely.

The best thing about this little paradise of ours is the diversity and long may it remain so.

It is popular with the rich and the not so rich.

The main attraction here is there is something for everyone within a relatively small area.

The popular thought, by those that have never been, is that it is a Disco fueled, alcoholic, all night rave.

That is one particular area (as in most towns)

After nearly 19 years living here I have yet to go..(NOT)

The weather, scenery, culture, food, facilities, varied nightlife cannot be equalled anywhere

Red Devil
24-02-2013, 10:27

That's very true, we are never bored in Tenerife, always something to do and see, however I do wonder what will eventually happen to the visitors who don't fit into the Tourist officials vision of an All Incl Utopia?
Where are the swallows, who typically stay 4-8 weeks each winter going to go? Many tourist registered apartments aren't interested, they want the tour operator generated clients, quick 1-2 week turnarounds and anyway longer stay visitors can't afford the £500-£600 pw prices that these apartments are now charging.
Yes there are longer term rentals available but these are typically only accepted for stays of over 3 months.
We are fortunate in owning our own apartment but have made many friends amongst people who return year after year and these longer term visitors are genuinely concerned about future availability/prices.

9PLUS
24-02-2013, 10:45
You could start off by dropping the H in Los Cristianos L̶o̶s̶ ̶C̶h̶r̶i̶s̶t̶i̶a̶n̶o̶s̶

TOTO 99
24-02-2013, 10:52
You could start off by dropping the H in Los Cristianos L̶o̶s̶ ̶C̶h̶r̶i̶s̶t̶i̶a̶n̶o̶s̶

Step 2:....Get rid of all the Pedants...:tiphat:

9PLUS
24-02-2013, 11:38
Step 2:....Get rid of all the Pedants...:tiphat:

Failing that.....Step 3:....Correct illiterates and help them support Tenerife with their great spelling.

Margaretta
24-02-2013, 15:24
Naughty people!:wink:

Soooooo: helping Tenerife.
I was so impressed, Timmylish, that you were invited to stand for the council. That is so much what is needed: representatives of the permanent residents, swallows and holiday makers. Maybe such persons already exist? Their purpose should be completely different to that of the Consulate. These people should of course be bilingual and their aim is liaison with councils to help Tenerife to further its appeal to tourists and to work to facilitate the solving of ongoing problems e.g. unfinished building sites, social problems, crime etc.
It is quite difficult for many of us who care to express our thoughts and ideas to the local councils and for them perhaps to understand fully what we would like to propose. They do not always see it from a different point of view. A representative on the council may achieve more than individuals. Of course the Germans and Russians should have their representatives too!:tiphat:

warbey
24-02-2013, 20:48
What is needed, is that Elected Representatives are honest and competent.

When Elected, They have a duty to represent each and Everyone of that Locality.

If People want additional Representation locally , They Usually elect a Rep they Have confidence in.

Those are the only Parameters I would set, and all I would need.

Nationality should not intrude..

Timmylish seems to fit well?

Sal
24-02-2013, 22:13
I applaud you determination

Murders happen everywhere; Africa and South Africa, Thailand, Mexico, Caracas, Jamaica, London etc etc do any of these places blame the state of their tourism industry on these statistics? No I don't think so. People realise the dangers and take appropriate precautions

Unemployment, poverty these two things don't put people off travelling to Brazil do they?

Tenerife is a beautiful place but why bother promoting the unspoiled landscapes? They don't appeal to the typical Canarian visitor and anyone who may be interested in these sort of places already know about them (walkers and hikers) these visitors usually stay in the higher towns and villages anyway so most people on this forum would never see one.

The fires if anything probably encouraged visitors.

I agree the island needs good publicity because it has a looooooooooong way to go to shed it's tacky name and for as long as veronica's is there it will never do this.

Flights are not expensive! It's a 4 hours flight! It's just that it's a cheap destination so people won't pay that much to get there! If you booked at a five star hotel then paying a few hundred quid for a flight is a drop in the ocean.

Take a look around Los Cris next time you are down there, footy shirts, beer bellies and a total lack of culture from the Great British tourist, no one with any choice is going to want to holiday in those surroundings.

Price the scum out of the reef and enjoy a better class of visitor.

We always stay in Los Cris - and maybe it's the time of year we take our holidays, but footy shirts, beer bellies and total lack of culture British tourists are just not there.
Tenerife needs the tourist trade right now, and pricing people out of being able to afford to visit is not the way to go - and maybe these "hoodlums" you describe are spending lots of money on the island. Live and let live - there is no place for snobbery in business!

carpenter
24-02-2013, 22:57
We always stay in Los Cris - and maybe it's the time of year we take our holidays, but footy shirts, beer bellies and total lack of culture British tourists are just not there.
Tenerife needs the tourist trade right now, and pricing people out of being able to afford to visit is not the way to go - and maybe these "hoodlums" you describe are spending lots of money on the island. Live and let live - there is no place for snobbery in business!

The Hoops Bar, The Ibrox bar that Man U bar the list goes on The Rovers Return god oh god!

It's not expensive to go to Tenerife, weigh it up against drink and food costs and you'll still get a cheaper holiday than taking the family to centre parks.

The next generation simply don't want to go to Tenerife! That's it! Simple! Tenerife has a tacky name.

Sal
24-02-2013, 23:09
The Hoops Bar, The Ibrox bar that Man U bar the list goes on The Rovers Return god oh god!

It's not expensive to go to Tenerife, weigh it up against drink and food costs and you'll still get a cheaper holiday than taking the family to centre parks.

The next generation simply don't want to go to Tenerife! That's it! Simple! Tenerife has a tacky name.

I don't know any of the bars you have named - we always stay near or on El Mirador and use the bars and restaurants in the vicinity. Maybe you are concerned about one area of Los Cris that we don't know?

The next generation certainly do want to go to Tenerife! We love it so much, that we have told family and friends about it and we have a son (and his family) and a daughter and her partner who have visited on our recommendation and love it. There are also many work colleagues who were intrigued with us going back to Tenerife year after year, so they visited too and love it! The island has so much to offer and if there are a few "louts" around - so what? They are in every holiday destination...................................and at the end of the day, we all work hard and deserve a holiday!

Margaretta
24-02-2013, 23:27
Carpenter, I haven't heard from anyone that Tenerife is 'tacky'. In fact people are often in awe that we go there so often and usually talk their way into coming to join us....again and again.
OK we don't take them to The Veronicas, in fact Las Americas is somewhere we avoid because we love the less populated and more Canarian landscapes and coastal places of Tenerife. But we do point the way if our friends are eager for the razzamatazz. It's just a tiny part of what the island has to offer.
Very interested that a class system is indicated in one or two posts above. I wasn't aware that 'class' still exists. Rich, managing and poor (not managing); well-mannered, indifferent and just plain rude; caring, indifferent and ignorant; positive,
indifferent, negative. These factors have nothing to do with beer bellies, tattoos, hiking boots, yachts, bicycles or walking poles etc as being part of a class system. The only variations I understand here are those who care and don't care about Tenerife.
More money is needed and more people need to visit and spread out over the island. Take the beer bellies, tattoos, yachts, bicycles and walking boots and just enjoy it. It is fantastic.

timmylish
25-02-2013, 13:22
What is needed, is that Elected Representatives are honest and competent.

When Elected, They have a duty to represent each and Everyone of that Locality.

If People want additional Representation locally , They Usually elect a Rep they Have confidence in.

Those are the only Parameters I would set, and all I would need.

Nationality should not intrude..

Timmylish seems to fit well?

Differeing opinions but I strongly believe that nationality is of importance since language often creates problems outwith the norm. Also, from whichever country that/those individuals come from have greater access to the possible travelling visitors from those areas being more able to see what those parts of Europe are currently looking for in the way of tourists. Do you really think, for one moment, that the current batch of "councillors" have that ability or even prepared to meet with groups of non-Spanish residents to look at possibilities for change. Anyway, like the problems which Tenerife faces, this is all about differing opinions.

TF1
25-02-2013, 13:47
The current batch of councilors are probably too busy either trying to fill their pockets or escaping justice for filling them during their last term. Any form of contact with the public, especially non-Spanish, is way down on their list of priorities until a few months before the local elections. I would advise against working from within the PP, CC or PSOE, who all tend to use newcomers as scapegoats. The way in would be as an independent, and this is very feasible under the current political climate.

timmylish
25-02-2013, 14:01
In fact I had forgotten to include my assertion that the candidate should be an independant likely to be funded, in part, from contributions which would of course be a problem just to start with!

Margaretta
25-02-2013, 20:07
Sadly it would probably have to be a voluntary, more low-key role. Maybe an annual submission from the Tenerife Forum if someone is prepared to translate and submit i.e. an online representative?

warbey
25-02-2013, 20:31
Differeing opinions but I strongly believe that nationality is of importance since language often creates problems outwith the norm. Also, from whichever country that/those individuals come from have greater access to the possible travelling visitors from those areas being more able to see what those parts of Europe are currently looking for in the way of tourists. Do you really think, for one moment, that the current batch of "councillors" have that ability or even prepared to meet with groups of non-Spanish residents to look at possibilities for change. Anyway, like the problems which Tenerife faces, this is all about differing opinions.

I thought of that, but an Elected Rep SHOULD represent ALL Residents of that Area. They should get involved as Reps for People whatever Language They speak

It's obvious the System doesn't work, but new Blood is needed.. Go Get Em Mate!

A start would be at Election Time to ask How They will Operate amongst the Community as a Whole.?

Why not try Lobbying these "People" ..Ask Them what is going on..? If enough did so, something would give

TF1
26-02-2013, 13:01
Sadly it would probably have to be a voluntary, more low-key role. Maybe an annual submission from the Tenerife Forum if someone is prepared to translate and submit i.e. an online representative?

The local political system works in a peculiar way. Each town hall is split up into departments, such as planning, culture, amenities, tourism, etc. Each of these departments is directed by a councilor, sometimes one councilor might take several departments in a smaller municipality.
When the results are published from the local elections, if there is an overall majority from one party, then the mayor elects his own councilors, obviously from his own political party. More often than not, there is no majority, so after all of the coalition negotiations have taken place, the majority coalition elect the mayor and councilors between the 2 or 3 parties.
In such cases, for example, where you have a right wing mayor and a left wing amenities councilor, there are frictions and stubborn blocking of progress by one or both parties, hence the slow response of town halls dealing with issues.
If, however, an independent candidate was able to form a coalition (for example, if the PSOE had 40% of the votes, the PP 30% and the independent candidate 30%), then the PSOE would probably chose the independent rather than the PP to form the coalition. In such a case, the independent could probably negotiate his / her position as a councilor, with possibly the choice several unelected functionarios spread throughout the town hall.
I understand the argument that obtaining funding might be difficult, but I'm sure that via English language press and social media this could be overcome.
The whole idea is fully feasible, and the only negative side would be trying to get 80% of the ex-pat population to pull their fingers out of their backsides and vote, as opposed to constantly complaining about Tenerife's failings, hoping that those issues will get better all by themselves.

timmylish
26-02-2013, 13:55
TF1. Your last para. is the hub of the matter.

Margaretta
26-02-2013, 15:49
TF1 that was such a clear and thoughtful post. It explained so much.
When there are elections huge signboards go up and photos of candidates, parties and names are plastered repeatedly across them, certainly in our area. Now if an independent representative were to be there, I'm sure it would encourage voting. Doubtless if there were an Independent with clear-cut aims, funding would appear via newspapers and the media, through advertising and lobbying. Any takers? Timmylish? TF1? 9 Plus?

TF1
26-02-2013, 17:11
Unfortunately any direct political involvement would create a two way conflict of interest with my current profession, though I would be more than willing to logistically support any well-meaning ex-pat who was interested in standing for office.

warbey
26-02-2013, 21:21
Your explanation of the System TF1 is not unlike that of the U.K.

The Ruling Party appoints Their own Reps who are not always as competent as Others may be.

Constant and vigilant scrutiny would be of help, on occasion. Wherever You may live....

As timmylish says, the last Paragraph sums it up very nicely

timmylish
27-02-2013, 03:00
Had it been 7 years ago I would have gladly taken up the opportunity to at least make an effort to become duly elected. Since then, however, due to serious illness it is completely out of the question now. However, as has been mentioned, I would certainly support anyone from this Forum brave enough to take the lead.

duquessa
27-02-2013, 15:58
havent read all the answers. Tenerife could do alot better in welcoming people. You are met with sour faces from the passport people why dont they smile and say welcome to Tenerife.

Once we went and they had people giving away food it happened to be world food day it was good and friendly. Something should change on arrival make people say they really make you feel welcome at Tenerife.

The passport people wouldnt have jobs if it wasnt for us why so serious.

Tom & Sharon
27-02-2013, 16:14
havent read all the answers. Tenerife could do alot better in welcoming people. You are met with sour faces from the passport people why dont they smile and say welcome to Tenerife.

Once we went and they had people giving away food it happened to be world food day it was good and friendly. Something should change on arrival make people say they really make you feel welcome at Tenerife.

The passport people wouldnt have jobs if it wasnt for us why so serious.

Haha.......have you seen the expressions on the faces of UK border staff? It doesn't stop tourism to the UK does it?

This is the Facebook page that everyone can join, promote and share their love of Tenerife -

https://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn#!/ILoveTenerife?fref=ts

duquessa
27-02-2013, 16:16
in hawaii people used to put garlands round you when you arrived. Whats wrong with smiling. Tenerife needs to do it.

lapalma
27-02-2013, 22:57
How can we all support Tenerife ! forget the Tenerife Sur Border Control,they are there for a reason ! Everyone that goes back time and time again to Tenerife is supporting the Island.It will always be my number one holiday destination rather than the Med.So much negativity on the forum now,must be some bad people wanting all the action for themselves !

timmylish
27-02-2013, 23:19
Although your comment may go un-noticed you are correct on the mood of this Forum nowadays it is diabolical. And that goes for some of the so called die hards on here!

lapalma
28-02-2013, 00:02
Timmy,many thanks for taking the time to give a most honest reply.Like yourself Iam a Scotsman and I enjoy my visits to Tenerife.Having spent many happy holidays over many years (since 1969 my first visit Las Palmas ,Gran Canaria) but like yourself I have health problems,but this will not stop me from coming back to Tenerife.I hope to return in May this year to perhaps enjoy a pain free period where myself and my better half (she spends the cash) can enjoy your Island.Many thanks

GDE

macdonald5
28-02-2013, 00:34
in hawaii people used to put garlands round you when you arrived. Whats wrong with smiling. Tenerife needs to do it.

yes, a few years back there was a "taxi drivers smile and welcome " but sadly this seems to have been forgotten
over many years we have had a few pleasant,good taxi drivers but unfortunately many sullen ,white knuckle drivers and often overpriced
We love Tenerife and support it by visiting and spending a fair amount of money in restuarants and bars etc
dont want any medals but good courteous service with value for money should not be too much to expect IMHO

Margaretta
28-02-2013, 00:34
When we have left Passport Control at Tenerife Sur there are people giving out maps of Tenerife. That is a nice touch. I once bought a small book for a friend in Waterstones. It explained Canarian food and products e.g. gofio. Haha! Wish I had kept it. A pamphlet about food might encourage more people to 'eat Canarian.'
0ne of the most frustrating drives is the change of motorways above Santa Cruz. Using Sta. Maria del Mar is confusing and as is the correct sliproad from the north to south. better signposting is perhaps something to lobby.
We can all write and email the different councils but a little genuine praise goes a long way when one is making a request. You feel too that if it is written in English it may not be read or have as much 'clout'. That's why we need a bilingual representative.

duquessa
28-02-2013, 15:19
agree about taxi drivers we hire a car now, but when we took taxis they didnt speak any english. You would think they would learn some words of other languages and make you feel at ease.

Margaretta
28-02-2013, 16:55
Unfortunately some taxi drivers respond more honestly if you endeavour to speak Spanish to them. It indicates that you have been there before and know a thing or two.
A friend of my daughters could not travel with the group (all students) and when she arrived later to our apartment she said it had cost 31 euros by taxi to get from Tenerife Sur, a 7 euro trip!! I had given all the girls maps and specifics but this one had no Spanish and ....hadn't read my detailed booklet. All the girls chipped in so that her holiday wasn't ruined but to young students every euro was important and it was an unhappy start to the holiday. I have been in a taxi where the driver went way over the speed limit and he was on his mobile.It was at night. I was too nervous and afraid to argue and just prayed we would reach our destination safely. Some do take advantage of newcomers and women alone but not all.

duquessa
28-02-2013, 17:12
it shouldnt matter whether you have been before and know a thing or two. They should learn some words they want the custom!

I agree about being on the phone awful. Thankfully we hire a car at the airport now.

warbey
28-02-2013, 20:43
Perhaps I am blessed with a Halo.

I think that both Immigration People and Security (when Leaving), are usually great People..
I know a little Spanish, and One Year We arrived at the Passport Control Desk about Four Minutes past Noon.

I grinned at Him and said Buenos Tardes. He looked blankly at Me for a Moment, looked at His Watch, and said I'll give You that one.

We grinned at each other and I could tell similar stories about going through Security going Home..
Canarians are quite laid-back, and that is a very valid reason to Holiday There.
We transfer by Coach. Again nice cheerful People..

Now at Manchester........................................ .........................................

duquessa
01-03-2013, 12:02
they are not smiley and welcoming in general all serious and no making you feel welcome. They want you to come back and keep them in a job.

TF1
01-03-2013, 12:08
they are not smiley and welcoming in general all serious and no making you feel welcome. They want you to come back and keep them in a job.

I'm quite happy to have serious looking airport security staff. Anyone with half a brain will realize that they are there to do a job (look out for drugs / arms / crooks), and are not there to look pretty or smile at tourists.
Security staff everywhere in the world are the same since 9-11.

duquessa
01-03-2013, 14:48
just because they are there to do a job dosent mean they can smile at other human beings does it?:confused:

we all do jobs, imagine if we were all morbid. There is no friendly welcome at the airport from anyone.

bonitatime
01-03-2013, 15:17
Try visiting the UK with a non British passport then talk about the attitude of passport staff

duquessa
01-03-2013, 15:29
i dont need to do that though do I. Whats wrong why can you accept my opinion of the welcome at Tenerife airport. We are all just human beings on the planet. Smile say welcome to Tenerife. Hawaii did it right.

9PLUS
01-03-2013, 15:39
When i first came to Tenerife in 1943 we flew over on donkey and were presented with some of that fowl banana liqueur rubbish and a bag of little salty potatoes.

x