PDA

View Full Version : Health How do I get a replacement medical card in Tenerife?

Mia
26-02-2013, 16:07
Does anyone know how long it takes for "Servicio Canario de la Salud" to send a replacement blue medical card (Tarjeta Sanitaria)?

We established at the office in Santa Cruz that they had issued my Husband's card and it must have gone missing in the post.

He received a letter dated 20th November 2012 confirming that they are processing a new card along with a photocopy of the actual card including the bar code information. He is able to use this to obtain treatment/prescriptions but the proper card would be better.

As it is three months since this was sent, we wonder if this is long enough to wait before contacting the office again. We understand that it can take up to two years to get a card in the first place, so I suppose three months waiting for a replacement is nothing! :rolleyes:

primrose
26-02-2013, 16:10
Does anyone know how long it takes for "Servicio Canario de la Salud" to send a replacement blue medical card (Tarjeta Sanitaria)?

We established at the office in Santa Cruz that they had issued my Husband's card and it must have gone missing in the post.

He received a letter dated 20th November 2012 confirming that they are processing a new card along with a photocopy of the actual card including the bar code information. He is able to use this to obtain treatment/prescriptions but the proper card would be better.

As it is three months since this was sent, we wonder if this is long enough to wait before contacting the office again. We understand that it can take up to two years to get a card in the first place, so I suppose three months waiting for a replacement is nothing! :rolleyes:

From applying at Granadilla for the Card to receiving it was only 4 weeks.

Mia
26-02-2013, 16:19
Thank you primrose.

It may be a good idea to take the correspondence to and from Santa Cruz office along with the copy card to Granadilla and sort it out with them.

We have limited Spanish so this should be fun! :)

slodgedad
26-02-2013, 16:28
We all applied for ours 3 years ago (Me, OH and daughter) They received theirs within weeks I still have not.

The paper, with barcode is sufficient though. That's what I use.

I do agree, though,that a wallet sized card is more convenient.

glostergirl
26-02-2013, 19:18
Myself and my 3 sons never ever received cards in the 12yrs we were there,only had the paper with barcode

Goldenmaniac
27-02-2013, 10:00
You can go to the receptionist in your own medical centre and ask her to report the card as missing she can print out replacement bar code papers if the originals get tatty, until the actual card arrives, which yes could be a very long time!

Mia
28-02-2013, 16:47
Thank you primrose, slodgedad, glostergirl and Goldenmaniac for your replies. :thanx:

My OH has his original A4 sheet and the photocopy of the card which seems to have been lost in the post issued by the office in Santa Cruz. (He wrote to Santa Cruz office as this is where my card was issued from).

Both of these are working okay at the pharmacy to obtain his repeat prescriptions so he has decided to wait and hope the replacement card turns up. As Goldenmaniac said it could be a very long time.

Seeing as some of you guys have used the paper copies for years there seems to be no problem.

I will let you know if the replacement card actually turns up during our lifetime!!! :whistle:

Mia
24-02-2014, 23:11
I would like to report that my husband has finally received a blue health card.

He decided to send one more letter as over a year had passed since the health service advised him that a new card was being processed (this was on 20th November 2012)

He posted the letter on 8th February 2014 asking if a new card had been issued and the card arrived today.

So folks, be persistent!