PDA

View Full Version : Other Help! I can't make friends in Tenerife

Jordzz
27-02-2013, 23:23
Hi guys,
Im a 17 year old girl,
I have lived in Tenerife for 5 months now around the san eugenio area in adeje and I still haven't made any friends, I don't know what to do to make it easier for myself, ahhhhh!!!xxx

ribuck
28-02-2013, 12:32
Well, what are your interests? There are probably local clubs or social groups where you can get to know like-minded people.

What about learning Spanish? There are many Spanish classes available, but those targeted mostly at the hospitality industry are where you would meet lots of other young people from around the world.

What's your situation? Are you a student? Or are you working? Shift work or regular hours?

Jordzz
28-02-2013, 12:37
Yes,that's exactly what I'm looking for, a social or youth club kind of thing! I just don't even know we're to start, I did go to Spanish classes and everyone was a lot older than me :dontknow: but it's definitely worth looking into again with more research. I have just become a qualified nail technician so looking for work in salons and thinking of going mobile. Thanks for your help :spin: xx

ribuck
28-02-2013, 15:11
What about something like this:

http://www.lifelonglearning.es/exchange-programmes/example-programmes/#Hair-and-Beauty
(click on the "Hair and Beauty" tab)

It's a two-week residential in Puerto de la Cruz. The first week is studying Spanish, the second week is work experience in a salon. From the photos on the website it looks like it's young people who do this course.

Jordzz
28-02-2013, 16:40
That is really helpful! Ill definitely check that out then, thanks a lot! :spin: xx

warbey
28-02-2013, 21:36
This can be the downside of a Holiday Resort. Most go Home quite quickly.

As already advised, concentrate on the Elements who are there Permanently.

Good Luck..

marbro8
28-02-2013, 21:40
Hi guys,
Im a 17 year old girl,
I have lived in Tenerife for 5 months now around the san eugenio area in adeje and I still haven't made any friends, I don't know what to do to make it easier for myself, ahhhhh!!!xxxover here if you were a male you would be known as billy:laugh: sorry jordzz just my little joke:wink: anyway lets just get this right, you are a 17 year old lonely female? can i be your friend:laugh::wink: sorry again my humor is realy bad:ashamed: welcome to the forum i am sure you will meet lots of friends on here, because i have:wink:

TOTO 99
28-02-2013, 21:57
over here if you were a male you would be known as billy:laugh: sorry jordzz just my little joke:wink: anyway lets just get this right, you are a 17 year old lonely female? can i be your friend:laugh::wink: sorry again my humor is realy bad:ashamed: welcome to the forum i am sure you will meet lots of friends on here, because i have:wink:
marbro8....you've been for a pint after work haven't you?...:laugh:

Jordzz
28-02-2013, 21:59
Hilarious :wink: thanks for that 'marbro'! Yeah well lets hope so ay, or that might become my new nickname :laugh:

kingbaker
over here if you were a male you would be known as billy:laugh: sorry jordzz just my little joke:wink: anyway lets just get this right, you are a 17 year old lonely female? can i be your friend:laugh::wink: sorry again my humor is realy bad:ashamed: welcome to the forum i am sure you will meet lots of friends on here, because i have:wink:

And some might even be nice!!!!!!!:crylaughing::crylaughing::raspberry:

OH YEAH and welcome to the forum!! JORDZZ

marbro8
marbro8....you've been for a pint after work haven't you?...:laugh:NO!! but i have had a few since i got in:laugh:

warbey
marbro8....you've been for a pint after work haven't you?...:laugh:

Or three.? .:laugh::laugh:

marbro8
28-02-2013, 22:01
Hilarious :wink: thanks for that 'marbro'! Yeah well lets hope so ay, or that might become my new nickname :laugh:well it works for miss piper:wink:

Jordzz
28-02-2013, 22:06
Aha! maybe a pint of water wouldn't go amiss right now ay? :wink2: :laugh:

marbro8
28-02-2013, 22:10
Aha! maybe a pint of water wouldn't go amiss right now ay? :wink2: :laugh:WHAT??? forget the friendship i think i have made a mistake, you sound just like my wife:redcard::laugh::wink:

Jordzz
28-02-2013, 22:17
Haha! My bad! :doh: :laugh: scratch that, keep drinking :cheers:

Ali.xx
02-03-2013, 01:26
Hiya. Have you moved on your own or do you have family with you? Maybe some volunteering would be a good way to meet people? You would be helping out, learning and meeting new folk. Some may be older but could have younger family or friends. Good luck with it.

Jordzz
02-03-2013, 13:02
With my mum and dad, and volunteering is a good idea! Will look good on my cv aswell :spin: thanks for that, I'll look into it!!

KirstyJay
02-03-2013, 15:56
Isn't there a drop in centre / youth club type place at Veronicas?

Jordzz
02-03-2013, 16:58
Oh yeah, think so. Never seen it but Iv heard about it. Ill see if I can look it up:)

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Does anyone know if the forum still have weekly/monthly get togethers?

warbey
02-03-2013, 21:26
Having looked it up and into it (quote)

I smell a Rat............?

marbro8
02-03-2013, 21:35
Having looked it up and into it (quote)

I smell a Rat............?with what mate? the drop in centre?

warbey
02-03-2013, 21:39
with what mate? the drop in centre?

The Thread.

I have never heard of a 17 yr Old Girl without Friends
Certainly not one with a sense of Humour..?

Then non-committal replies of looking into it etc.

marbro8
02-03-2013, 21:47
The Thread.

Then non-committal replies of looking into it etc.dont know mate??? maybe you are right, but why would anyone go to that much trouble to post, what would they be getting out of it?:wink:

carpenter
02-03-2013, 22:05
maybe the 17 year old girl isn't a 17 year old girl but a middle age loser/groomer

but if the OP is genuine then all I can say is in the 3+ years I spent on the rock I found barely a handful of friends. They are not easy to find.
Acquaintances are two to a penny but friends are very hard to find. My advise is bide your time and good things come to those that wait. It's an annoying saying but I've never heard a truer one.

Sal
02-03-2013, 22:52
maybe the 17 year old girl isn't a 17 year old girl but a middle age loser/groomer

but if the OP is genuine then all I can say is in the 3+ years I spent on the rock I found barely a handful of friends. They are not easy to find.
Acquaintances are two to a penny but friends are very hard to find. My advise is bide your time and good things come to those that wait. It's an annoying saying but I've never heard a truer one.

We don't even live on the island, but visit as often as possible. We have made so many friends that our holidays are now filled with meeting up with our island friends - we love it!

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Jordzz - give it time. It will happen for you!

penelope pitstop
02-03-2013, 23:19
The 2 best friends I have ever had were met in Tenerife when we lived there for 8 yrs! I met them when I was working in the Market. Meet up whenever we r over on holiday, once or twice a year.

Skeggy
03-03-2013, 09:58

Apart from the grooming aspect of this post I do agree that friends are made in our youth and at school, so many people claim friends
when basically they are as Carpenter says merely acquaintances, of course there is nothing wrong with that but real friends are very hard to find as we get older.

carpdaught1
03-03-2013, 19:40
Isn't there a drop in centre / youth club type place at Veronicas?

upsiairs near mcdonalds a lot of ex addicts go there and ex drinkers and no im not one of themsomeone i knpow has been there quite friedly though peaople who run it

Jordzz
04-03-2013, 11:45

The Thread.

Then non-committal replies of looking into it etc.

Lmao, right, there is no way I can prove I'm not a 'middle aged loser/groomer' but I can tell you this.. I came out here having already finished school in England, so I can't meet people that way, and I haven't got a job yet, so having not met people that way either, I have no brothers or sisters so I can't go out with them and meet their friends or hang around with them... I like your awareness though, have to say my mum and dad (dforsdike- member on the forum!!) respect that this kind of thing does happen on forums.
As for the non-committal side of it, I have been given a lot of great advice, that I will be flollowing up!
As you can probably see the weathers not to great atm, so I might wait till the sun makes an appearance;)

Thanks for the advice guys lolol!

kingbaker
04-03-2013, 13:51
Lmao, right, there is no way I can prove I'm not a 'middle aged loser/groomer' but I can tell you this.. I came out here having already finished school in England, so I can't meet people that way, and I haven't got a job yet, so having not met people that way either, I have no brothers or sisters so I can't go out with them and meet their friends or hang around with them... I like your awareness though, have to say my mum and dad (dforsdike- member on the forum!!) respect that this kind of thing does happen on forums.
As for the non-committal side of it, I have been given a lot of great advice, that I will be flollowing up!
As you can probably see the weathers not to great atm, so I might wait till the sun makes an appearance;)

Thanks for the advice guys lolol!

I suppose if you were up to mischief, then Skeggys face might put you off!!:p:lol:

Jordzz
04-03-2013, 15:36
I suppose if you were up to mischief, then Skeggys face might put you off!!:p:lol:

Hahaa :cheeky: You can neva be to careful though ay, anyways all innocent this end that's for sure:))

timmylish
05-03-2013, 01:55
Listen Jordzz. You can listen to the geuine advice being given you on here by people much older than you are and that,s all very well. (I,m coming up for 65 myself!). Anyway you MUST learn Spanish urgently quite simply because you must not rely on Brits here. Your future lies with Spanish people since they make up the majority of the population. You will have to work really hard to be accepted by young Canarian people who cannot be expected to communicate in English.
I wish you the very best in your quest. Given time I,m sure you,ll make it.

TF1
05-03-2013, 13:37
And the younger you are, the easier it is. If you pass on learning Spanish for just a few years and you'll find it more complicated.

marbro8
05-03-2013, 18:44
And the younger you are, the easier it is. If you pass on learning Spanish for just a few years and you'll find it more complicated.you are so right, i have been listening to spanish for dummy's for three months now on my cd player in works van and can just about count to three:lol:

warbey
05-03-2013, 19:42
I am sure that another few Months and better Weather, things will look up.
Plenty of good advice here already.

I would possibly look at what goes on with Your Age Group, in Your Area, and see about joining in.
Once involved there will be more possibilities.
As I said previously, needing Friends at 17 Takes some believing, but I do now.

Good luck.

Just a Thought, I don't know if You are a Doggy Person, but isn't there Anyone
who would like their Dog taken for "Walkies"?. I can remember admiring People's Dogs.?.. .:D:D

marbro8
05-03-2013, 19:53
I am sure that another few Months and better Weather, things will look up.
Plenty of good advice here already.

I would possibly look at what goes on with Your Age Group, in Your Area, and see about joining in.
Once involved there will be more possibilities.
As I said previously, needing Friends at 17 Takes some believing, but I do now.

Good luck.

Just a Thought, I don't know if You are a Doggy Person, but isn't there Anyone
who would like their Dog taken for "Walkies"?. I can remember admiring People's Dogs.?.. .:D:Dshe has got to find a friend before she can get into dogging warbey:eyebrows:

ribuck
05-03-2013, 23:00
Jordzz, I noticed that the person who posted the following thread is also a 17-year-old female. You could send her a private message and ask her for ideas of things to do and places to meet people.

http://www.tenerifeforum.org/tenerife-forum/showthread.php?24545-Help!!!!-need-a-nice-place-to-go-for-mothers-day-%29