PDA

View Full Version : Travel I need information on importing pets other than cats and dogs

thesloaneranger
28-02-2013, 14:05
Hi

Im a long time lurker here, but have only just registered....thank you for all the info ive managed to use so far :) :hi:

Im looking at relocating to Tenerife (S) from Glasgow pretty soon but I cant seem to find any information regarding bringing pets to the island, other than cats and dogs so I was wondering if anyone had any info or experience of this.

We have a large house rabbit who is now 8yrs old, and having had her from 8wks old I would like to avoid rehoming her if possible. We also have a 9yr old budgie. I appreciate that at their ages, moving could be the death of them, but they are part of the family so Im trying to weigh up my options and gain as much info as I can to allow me to make the right choice for them.

Also, I know this may sound a little cheeky, but if I was able to bring them with me, how hard is it to source dry food/hay/shavings/sand sheets etc for them? In all the time Ive visited the island Ive never seen a pet supplies shop, but I was thinking maybe supermarkets carried these products now?

I appreciate any help or advice you have to offer xxx

candy2411
28-02-2013, 17:52
Hi and welcome to the forum:welcome:

There are plenty of pet shops in the towns stocking pretty much the same things you get in the UK, same brands even, though you're unlikely to find a pet shop in the middle of the tourist areas so depends where you'll be staying.
However, I don't really know about the practicalities of bringing your pets with you. 9 years sounds a really good age for a budgie and 8 for a rabbit, think it may be kinder to find a good home for both.:)

thesloaneranger
28-02-2013, 20:28
Hi Candy, thank you for your reply and welcome :)

Ive ventured well out of the tourist areas a few times, but had never seen any pet shops so that is great news there are some (I have a picky dog aswell lol).

I know what you mean about them being old, but Im just gathering info at the moment to help me make the choice thats right for them.....not necessarily for me :/ I would ovbiously be concerned about their welfare as moving is stressful for any animal, but at the same time they have been family members for such a long time.

Sorry if Im rambling a bit - Ive spent the day booking flights and organising property viewings so my heads banging lol! Thank you again for replying :) x

cressrt
01-03-2013, 17:01
I think yes travelling can be stressful for some animals but so can being rehomed into a new environment so you need to take that into account too. We brought our dog over from England and she didn't bat an eye lid at the journey although I realise all animals are different. You know your animals best. Petsathome.Tenerife ship animals back to Britain (not just cats and dogs) all the time so I am sure they would be able to help you with valuable info on importing too. Their facebook page is : http://www.facebook.com/petsathome.tenerife1959 There is a very large warehouse type pet shop supplies store in Las Chafiras that will supply everything you could want and many things you didn't even know you wanted. In my experience we come out laiden down with supplies that we didn't go in with the intention of buying!!! Most towns have a pet shop of some description, but as has been mentioned in another post ,you won't find much in the tourist areas, you'll need to go out a bit.

thesloaneranger
01-03-2013, 21:29
thats fantastic - thanks cressrt :) Id imagine the warehouse place would be like Pets at Home, which is exactly the kind of place I was hoping for. Thanks for the heads up about the other Pets at Home....ill check out their FB page :)

Thank you so much for your help :) x

cressrt
01-03-2013, 21:45
Its called Koala Sur and this is their web site http://koalasur.com/component/content/article/40-articulos/92-kst Its not the cheapest place but is very like the English Pets at Home. Ttey'll have everytinmg you need. Most towns ahave normal small pet shop with competative prices so you will get everyting you need one way or another.

slodgedad
02-03-2013, 02:54
I use Koala Sur and find it very reasonable if you buy big.

Supermarkets sell small bags of food etc. at a comparable cost but do not sell big bags.

If I feed my Staffy 'Donkey' from the supermarket it costs me 1.50 a day for the basic feed.

Buying bigger in Koala works out at less than a euro for the same brand food.

conandina
03-03-2013, 14:09
In connection with flying your pet over from Scotland - have a look at this thread, particularly the last couple of posts -
http://www.tenerifeforum.org/tenerife-forum/showthread.php?23380-Help-getting-my-cat-to-Tenerife-from-Scotland/page4
Petsathome may be able to help you if you find a suitable Thomson flight otherwise you are limited to flying with Thomas Cook.

thesloaneranger
03-03-2013, 14:59
Thanks cressrt and slodgedad - I feel a zillion times more comfortable now, as even if the small furries dont come, my picky jack russell will still be catered for :) Ill check out the website for sure :)

Thanks for that link conandina:) I curently live near Glasgow Airport so Im lucky to have the choice of both airlines - I can actually walk there so I know that close proximity minimises some of the travelling they will have to endure. My OH is on the island at the moment property hunting so if he comes back with positive news I will give petsathome a shout :)

I honestly cant thank you all enough for replying and helping me - Im feeling miles better than I did a few days ago :) xxx