PDA

View Full Version : Health Information wanted on dog flea and worm treatments

jewels
30-05-2011, 12:41
Who uses what for their flea and worming,whats the best and where is it the cheapest any info would be great.

Apollo
30-05-2011, 12:50
First off I would say avoid "pet shop/supermarket" brands such as Bob Martins, supermarket own etc.

Frontline would normally be a good one but several of my clients have had a bit of bad luck with it over recent months and I can think of about 6 dogs who have managed to get fleas in spite of being treated.

Stronghold is pretty good but I would say you cant really go wrong with Advocate, Advantage and Advantix. Have a read of the boxes to see what each one does. Advocate does the most but I have to be honest I would still get the heartworm treatment. Just my own personal belief that packing too much stuff in one small vial reduces the strength and efficiency of each individual treatment.

Worming - Drontal is the classic one which is 1 tablet per 10kg. Its a very good one. There is also another beginning with M (brain has decided to go AWOL, sorry) and that is 1 tab per 25kg. The vet/pet shop will be able to complete the name for me *embarrased* sorry.

As far as cheapest, I think there isnt much difference between them (although Stronghold seems to fluctuate in cost). I would avoid the pet shop by the princess dacil in LC though as they seem to be extortionate in a lot of things.

Hope this helps. :)

jewels
30-05-2011, 12:57
Thanks for the advice,Ive been looking for online suppliers but with the delivery charges added on it might not make much difference to the price you pay here.

Apollo
30-05-2011, 12:59
Very true. And when I looked into doing that I was told they wouldnt deliver here anyway which was a bit of a bummer.
I got them posted ot my mum and dads in the end and they sent them on to me :)

timmylish
31-05-2011, 01:23
Have always used Stronghold since having animals here on Tenerife and never, ever had a problem with any of my animals. It currently cost about 9€ a shot or 28€ for 3. However, laugh out load guys because when Mrs. T. went for my morphine a few days ago, low and behold the Pharmacy sell it! About 4 € per pack cheaper. Not a lot but times two animals, 12 months a year you end up getting one for nowt!

julia44
31-05-2011, 07:22
try chemistdirect.co.uk I have used them and if you keep looking they often have special offers.

with cheese
31-05-2011, 08:40
As loads of you on here why do you not get a large order and split.

Zara
31-05-2011, 08:50
I use Advocate for my two because it also protects against heartworm as well as fleas, ticks etc. it is certainly not cheap, and it goes by weight - my two tiddlers (in the 4-10k weight range) cost €12 each per month. I could save money and have one injection for 12 months at the vets but as she wont do this to her own dog (the strength of the protection reduces over time) so using every month gives the best protection.

with cheese
31-05-2011, 09:00
I use Advocate and it is 27 Uk pounds for 1 month, dog is 34 kg.

Larisa
05-06-2011, 22:56
I buy the drops from 'www.farmaciaencasaonline.es, comes out a bit cheaper then from the vets here, but if you order for less then 60 euros they charge 3 euros for delivery. Last antifleas drops I bought from Iceland, they are really good for a month not a single flea and i take my dogs for a walk in the fields, but not sure if these drops are safe enough.