PDA

View Full Version : Other Silverpoint timeshare reps are canvassing at the airport

Red Devil
04-03-2013, 17:51
Just to make people aware, Silverpoint (timeshare) reps are wandering amongst the passengers queuing to check in at the airport.
What they do is walk up the queue from the check in desk, carrying an iPad, everyone thinks its an official from the airline and they ask you a simple question ie which of these 3 is the highest in Spain?
When you answer correctly they take your name and address to say you will be entered in a prize draw. They do not say who they are!
Without fail everyone in the queue in front of me supplied their details - I assume all these people are now on this company's database for cold calling, they already know you visit Tenerife anyway!
When they got to me I just asked them who they were from and they admitted it was Silverpoint. I told them I had an apartment so they just walked off.
Be aware - no free lunches with this company.

junglejim
04-03-2013, 17:55
Yes they were there in June when I went home on the airside at Ryanair boarding queue ,no thank you !
Quite a few people gave their details , as you say some cold calling calls to come !

marbro8
04-03-2013, 18:36
we got caught at birmingham airport a couple of years ago, we gave them our details and were pestered for weeks a few months later, we just walk past them now without giving them the time of day:angry:

golf birdie
04-03-2013, 18:40
I just give them the number for a bloke I don't like.

Loaded
04-03-2013, 20:22
The lengths these guys go to is crazy

Margaretta
04-03-2013, 20:38
Amazed the airport allows this menace. Last time they accosted us just by the bananas gift stall. We felt very grumpy because after you have queued zig-zag, divested yourself of belt (one poor man's trousers fell to his ankles in front of us!) shoes, watch, bangles, notebook, coat, cardie, hand luggage etc , lumped them onto and off the conveyor belt and put them all on again after the scanner, checked passports and boarding passes yet again, all you really want is a calm sit down and some tranquilizing refreshment; not to stop and give out your details. As above, if you say "Apartment Owner" they won't bother you.

warbey
04-03-2013, 21:37
How the Heck do They get Airside.?

Collaboration.?

I don't give Anyone My Details. This I didn't know of.. Thanks. Be prepared.

woolli
04-03-2013, 22:16
Silverpoint have been operating in the airport for three years- and you have only just noticed?

slodgedad
04-03-2013, 22:45
The sad thing is that they are doing nothing illegal at the point of contact as there is a prize and it's free to enter.

The problem starts afterwards when your valuable Email address and phone numbers are sold on after use.

As has been said before, I'm amazed at the way the airport collaborates by giving passes to the departure lounge, even offering reps preferential parking.

I know how it works as my wife did it for a couple of weeks, 3 years ago.

AL JAY
04-03-2013, 22:58
1.It shouldn't be allowed
2.Brown envelopes at work again
3.They would sell their own Granny to get a signature
4. Hopefully this thread is read by many
5.I wonder what SCAM they will think of next

marbro8
04-03-2013, 23:13
1.It shouldn't be allowed
2.Brown envelopes at work again
3.They would sell their own Granny to get a signature
4. Hopefully this thread is read by many
5.I wonder what SCAM they will think of nexti hate ignoring people it is against my nature, even when i was a youth i could fight with some one and still buy em a pint next time i saw them out( mind you i mostly got it poured over me:lol:) but the way these people ply their business i can walk past them without a thought:angry:

Red Devil
05-03-2013, 01:04
Silverpoint have been operating in the airport for three years- and you have only just noticed?
No, not at all only just noticed, I usually see them all the time airside and ignore them.
What struck me this time was how many people thought they were genuine just because they looked official and moved along the queue of people waiting to check in as if they were part of the airline company. Proof was that everyone in front of me happily gave their details.
Thought it might make just a few people aware :shy:

marbro8
05-03-2013, 08:51
No, not at all only just noticed, I usually see them all the time airside and ignore them.
What struck me this time was how many people thought they were genuine just because they looked official and moved along the queue of people waiting to check in as if they were part of the airline company. Proof was that everyone in front of me happily gave their details.
Thought it might make just a few people aware :shy:what gets me is i thought timeshare was old hat now and run it's course? with some of the time share complex's being sold off like garden city i thought others would follow?

Loaded
05-03-2013, 08:59
Timeshare is dead - now there's "fractional ownership".... It's not timeshare !

berni
05-03-2013, 09:27
Club La Costa are doing exactly the same thing. I am amazed that they get and airside security pass and normally, these are only granted to workers with a spanish contract , not those paid cash in hand working illegally.

Is a denuncia the way to go

Red Devil
05-03-2013, 09:32
Timeshare is dead - now there's "fractional ownership".... It's not timeshare !

That's ok then :lol: but seriously whatever they now call their scheme, they are based at Hollywood Mirage and Silverpoint has replaced Resort Properties as name above the door at Beverly Hills.

woolli
05-03-2013, 09:37
Club La Costa are doing exactly the same thing. I am amazed that they get and airside security pass and normally, these are only granted to workers with a spanish contract , not those paid cash in hand working illegally.

Is a denuncia the way to go
Didnt you work for them?

TF1
05-03-2013, 10:12
I'd be surprised if these organizations were complying with the Spanish data protection act.

warbey
05-03-2013, 20:11
I'd be surprised if these organizations were complying with the Spanish data protection act.

Aided and abetted by the Airport Management....?

The Phrase "False Pretences" springs to Mind.

timmylish
06-03-2013, 03:49
Berni & TF1.
Sorry guys you might be somewhat incorrect in your comments viz. Club la Costa. Each and every person working for that company are on a full time contract and therefor fully legal here on Tenerife.

TF1
06-03-2013, 08:59
Berni & TF1.
Sorry guys you might be somewhat incorrect in your comments viz. Club la Costa. Each and every person working for that company are on a full time contract and therefor fully legal here on Tenerife.
If the staff are on contract, that doesn't mean that they are abiding by the data protection act. Are the computers password protected? Are the mobile devices used to store data secured as per the laws? Are the staff who take the data certified to handle personal data? Are the public who give their data informed that their data will be stored for future use, and told what company will be storing it? If the answer to any of these questions is NO, then they are not complying and can be fined up to 200,000€ if anyone who's data is being used cares to denounce them.

candy2411
06-03-2013, 09:59
Can't understand why people are getting so wound up by this.....I was approached at the airport and although I politely declined, I could clearly hear the people next to me giving information. Name, address tel number, e mail address, holiday preferences that sort of thing.
If they'd ask for more personal info like date of birth, mothers maiden name that sort of thing,I could see the problem..,but the data gathering I heard was pretty routine, mundane stuff,

You'd have to have lived on another planet to realise the whole scheme is not timeshare related, but you know some people think timeshare is OK and for some it works. Each to their own I say.

Some people would say that owning a property is not always wonderful and living the dream.We read plenty of comments on this forum to back that up , price crashes, bad neighbours, taxes etc so maybe there is scope for timeshare to make a comeback.

Loaded
06-03-2013, 10:35
Can't understand why people are getting so wound up by this.....I was approached at the airport and although I politely declined, I could clearly hear the people next to me giving information. Name, address tel number, e mail address, holiday preferences that sort of thing.
If they'd ask for more personal info like date of birth, mothers maiden name that sort of thing,I could see the problem..,but the data gathering I heard was pretty routine, mundane stuff,

You'd have to have lived on another planet to realise the whole scheme is not timeshare related, but you know some people think timeshare is OK and for some it works. Each to their own I say.

Some people would say that owning a property is not always wonderful and living the dream.We read plenty of comments on this forum to back that up , price crashes, bad neighbours, taxes etc so maybe there is scope for timeshare to make a comeback.

If its such a great product why do they need to be so underhand in getting people to hand over their details? In the history of timeshare in tenerife has any timeshare company just approached a potential client or advertised the product as what it is?

Seriously though why do they need to pretend they're doing a free prize for the airline , pretend you've won a scratch card, pretend your getting a discount card, pretend you're getting cheap excursions, pretend you're getting cheap holidays......

Although you get the above the real reason they're doing it is to get your details and hard sell you on something else.

They lure people in with offers and prizes and take advantage of people's greed / curiosity / gullibleness / naïveity ......

timmylish
06-03-2013, 13:24
I do apologise for my inadequate posting.
Cheer up for .hrists sakes! Now a warning has been placed on here you should all be capable of saying "NO", as always!

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

what gets me is i thought timeshare was old hat now and run it's course? with some of the time share complex's being sold off like garden city i thought others would follow?

According to the "job Section" on Oasis FM, Garden City are currently advertising for "Timeshare Reps.".

If the staff are on contract, that doesn't mean that they are abiding by the data protection act. Are the computers password protected? Are the mobile devices used to store data secured as per the laws? Are the staff who take the data certified to handle personal data? Are the public who give their data informed that their data will be stored for future use, and told what company will be storing it? If the answer to any of these questions is NO, then they are not complying and can be fined up to 200,000€ if anyone who's data is being used cares to denounce them.

And as a further thought. Why has no-one taken up your suggestion to earn themselves a cool 200k?

candy2411
06-03-2013, 13:51
If its such a great product why do they need to be so underhand in getting people to hand over their details? In the history of timeshare in tenerife has any timeshare company just approached a potential client or advertised the product as what it is?

The only reason they don't declare from the off that it's timeshare is because years ago the whole timeshare business was declared a rip off and once you give something a bad name it's hard to change peoples perspective.

However, I know a few people for whom it works really well.They have several timeshares and annually visit Scotland, Palm Springs and are currently in Madeira.

Some just want a varied holiday destination without the restrictions ownership brings and to be honest, the current situation in Tenerife with regard to illegal letting may just encourage the home timeshare market further.

Loaded
06-03-2013, 14:02
The only reason they don't declare from the off that it's timeshare is because years ago the whole timeshare business was declared a rip off and once you give something a bad name it's hard to change peoples perspective.

However, I know a few people for whom it works really well.They have several timeshares and annually visit Scotland, Palm Springs and are currently in Madeira.

Some just want a varied holiday destination without the restrictions ownership brings and to be honest, the current situation in Tenerife with regard to illegal letting may just encourage the home timeshare market further.

Surely if something's got a bad reputation and you want to fix it then you should start from scratch and build your companies reputation up in an honest way and not try and get in the back door? That's not very open or honest and doesn't improve the already bad reputation timeshare has.

Infact if it was me I'd make a point of separating myself from the perception it has by advertising it like:

"Name of company ; providing straight up, honest and transparent timeshare without any bull..... "

Seriously ... Imagine a world where you think you're going to buy a loaf of bread but walk out having left a 20,000 deposit on something you didn't want and were pushed into

Red Devil
06-03-2013, 14:59

The only reason they still don't declare it from the off is because it is still the rip off it always was and I speak as someone who owned a timeshare for 10 years before buying my apartment.
Most of them would sell their own mothers if the commission was good enough, most of them are liars and sharks.
Wait until your friends decide to sell their timeshare and they are offered zilch for it then see if their opinion changes.

Loaded
06-03-2013, 15:43
I love the logic that the best way to get around the perception that timeshare in tenerife is full of liars and cheats is to lie and cheat to people .....

TF1
06-03-2013, 18:27
And as a further thought. Why has no-one taken up your suggestion to earn themselves a cool 200k?

Don't confuse a fine with compensation. Fines go to the government, not the victim.

marbro8
06-03-2013, 18:29

Some people would say that owning a property is not always wonderful and living the dream.We read plenty of comments on this forum to back that up , price crashes, bad neighbours, taxes etc so maybe there is scope for timeshare to make a comeback.i personally have no problem with the concept of timeshare, but i would like the choice of asking them for the info not them hassling or conning me for it,the best idea i have seen is the victoria court?, there is an advertising board outside stating what the weeks cost and all rellivent info, i have even thought about going in and enquiring about it, but that would be my choice not theirs because it feels like a no pressure enquiry:wink:

candy2411
06-03-2013, 19:59
The only reason they still don't declare it from the off is because it is still the rip off it always was and I speak as someone who owned a timeshare for 10 years before buying my apartment.
Most of them would sell their own mothers if the commission was good enough, most of them are liars and sharks.
Wait until your friends decide to sell their timeshare and they are offered zilch for it then see if their opinion changes.

Fair comment only time will tell, but for now they're happy with the flexibility and cost and pleased they haven't so far entered into ownership.

The point you make though about being offered 'zilch' if they want to sell is valid enough, but this could also apply to someone having bought a property and needs to sell rather urgently and finds they can't liquidate the sale without making a huge loss in their capital.

This particularly could apply to people having bought with a mortgage on a touristic site with the promise of good rental return, and now finding they can't due to the regulations imposed. What a nightmare if they can't afford repayments without the rental. There are sharks and liars in all trades , their selling methods may not be as aggressive as the timeshare tout but dishonest all the same.

Red Devil
06-03-2013, 20:09
But at least when you meet an estate agent you know what he sells, he doesn't usually tell you he works for the Tourist Board or doing a holiday survey :)

Loaded
06-03-2013, 20:23
This is the crux of the matter isn't it? There are good and bad / honest and dishonest people in all businesses .... Trouble is you'd be hard pressed to find any good and honest people working in timeshare in tenerife.

Hammer time
06-03-2013, 20:26
We flew home Tuesday first guy approached as I was in the check in queue and asked me the highest peak question I told him he could give my " prize" to someone else , the second was airside as we began to board she asked " have you had a great holiday" , after 2 days of storms a curt " no" was enough for her to get the message.

Loaded
06-03-2013, 20:42
We flew home Tuesday first guy approached as I was in the check in queue and asked me the highest peak question I told him he could give my " prize" to someone else , the second was airside as we began to board she asked " have you had a great holiday" , after 2 days of storms a curt " no" was enough for her to get the message.

Good that you were aware or in no mood for it - unfortunately there are thousands of tourists who will give away their details to these guys without realizing what will happen with their details.

warbey
06-03-2013, 21:19
I suggest there is a clear majority who dislike what these People are doing, and the Way They do it.

Has Anyone with Airport Connections been reading this Thread please.?

I am interested if being "Airside" carries any responsibilities, such as wearing a Name Badge.?

if indeed it is Legal for Them to be there roaming around freely.
Where are You Dan747 .?

Loaded
06-03-2013, 21:53
I'm sure they have permission but it doesn't mean the airport know exactly what they do and why

warbey
06-03-2013, 22:05
I'm sure they have permission but it doesn't mean the airport know exactly what they do and why

Looks that way, but They should have a legal responsibility to know, surely.?

I wonder if THEY are searched going Airside like Passengers are.... perhaps not......

Loaded
06-03-2013, 22:29
I'm sure they are, I've seen staff get searched in same way as passengers when coming through to the otherside .

Next time I fly I'm just gonna shame them

marbro8
06-03-2013, 22:43
I'm sure they are, I've seen staff get searched in same way as passengers when coming through to the otherside .

Next time I fly I'm just gonna shame themjust laff at em and walk past em like i do, they get the message:wink:

woolli
07-03-2013, 00:00
This was a topic on the last forum. Nothing changes, offer what ever advice you want, laff at them, very clever. They are doing a job, they are not TIMESHARE REPS, they are data collectors. They are not the people who give you hassle. They are all legally working. Anything wrong with that?
Timeshare as brought millions of pounds to this island, by hook or buy crook. Thats how it is. These same people come to the island, year after year, spending money which enhances the economy. Without timeshare here most of the South would be desolate. I would like to bet there are more timeshare owners than real estate owners.
The people at the airport are doing a job, to feed there families, to live. Is that wrong?
I would suggest you holiday makers, or non residents, spend more time distributing your anger at the government in the UK, thats were your problems lie. Im sure you all know what I mean!

I suggest there is a clear majority who dislike what these People are doing, and the Way They do it.

Has Anyone with Airport Connections been reading this Thread please.?

I am interested if being "Airside" carries any responsibilities, such as wearing a Name Badge.?

if indeed it is Legal for Them to be there roaming around freely.
Where are You Dan 747 .?
They all wear name badges, and yes they are allowed to roam freely

Loaded
07-03-2013, 00:31
Property ownership is usually one or two people as owners..... Timeshare owners don't ever actually appear on the title deeds of the property they "buy"..... So there are definitely more property owners who own property than timeshare owners who own property.

However you're probably right that there are more "timeshare owners than property owners" but only because timeshare companies can sell each property infinite numbers of times......

Yes the "data collectors" are just doing a job. The scratch card guys are too, so are the call centre staff, the reps who show you round.... They're all doing a job just like the getaway driver in a robbery is just doing a job!

All of these jobs involves some form of deception on a daily basis in order to complete their jobs, could be gathering client details for timeshare calls under the pretense it's for a contest..... Could be calling someone and telling them there's a no strings attached holiday for 80 quid..... Could be giving them the winning scratch card / discount excursion once you've checked they "qualify".... Could be telling them they can sell their timeshare or back out during a cooling off period on a tour......

Yes all of the pawns are just doing a job but they do so knowing they have to deceive people in order to get paid, that means they have low morals and are part of the overall veil of bull sh¡t that timeshare is famous for.

AL JAY
07-03-2013, 00:42
I looked at a few of the name badges, Mr V Dodgy, Miss S Cam and Ms R Ipoff :wink: :redcard:

slodgedad
07-03-2013, 00:59
As has been said in numerous posts, they are DATA COLLECTORS.

Loaded
07-03-2013, 08:55

And your point is??????

woolli
07-03-2013, 09:15
Eh Slodge, just like the same thread a few years ago I think its run its course. Why dont you close it?

AL JAY
07-03-2013, 09:34
Eh Slodge, just like the same thread a few years ago I think its run its course. Why dont you close it?

Why close it,what have you got to hide? As far as im concerned the more its brought into the open the better it is for tourists! After all this is the Tenerife forum!!!

Loaded
07-03-2013, 09:42
No Al Jay the best way to get people aware of timeshare is to close threads So the information is less visible - just like the best way to banish timeshares reputation as liars and cheats is to lie and cheat people ......

candy2411
07-03-2013, 10:39
[QUOTE=
Yes the "data collectors" are just doing a job. The scratch card guys are too, so are the call centre staff, the reps who show you round.... They're all doing a job just like the getaway driver in a robbery is just doing a job!

All of these jobs involves some form of deception on a daily basis in order to complete their jobs, could be gathering client details for timeshare calls under the pretense it's for a contest..... Could be calling someone and telling them there's a no strings attached holiday for 80 quid..... Could be giving them the winning scratch card / discount excursion once you've checked they "qualify".... Could be telling them they can sell their timeshare or back out during a cooling off period on a tour......

Yes all of the pawns are just doing a job but they do so knowing they have to deceive people in order to get paid, that means they have low morals and are part of the overall veil of bull sh¡t that timeshare is famous for.[/QUOTE]

What about the vast numbers of cleaners, chefs, gardeners etc all employed by the time share resorts? are you including them in your assumption of low morals as well? Just because they are doing a decent job and earning a wage...... sorry but that's more than unfair.

TF1
07-03-2013, 11:14
Cleaners chefs and gardeners are not misleading the public as to their motives.

In all honesty, most folk are not against timeshare, it's just the methods used to sell it which are frowned upon. And reading previous posts regarding the methods used, it is quite clear that taking someone's personal details and holding them without that person's full consent, without a full explanation of the organization which will use or hold that data, is a serious infringement of the Spanish data protection act, so is illegal.

candy2411
07-03-2013, 11:49
I understand what is being said, I just thought the post about timeshare employees being all part of the deceit was a bit strong.

I personally would never entertain timeshare, but accept that for some people it works so I can't get stressed about it,and quite honestly I think it's underestimating the average person's intelligence to suggest they don't realise what this data collecting is all about.

TF1
07-03-2013, 12:04
I understand what is being said, I just thought the post about timeshare employees being all part of the deceit was a bit strong.

I personally would never entertain timeshare, but accept that for some people it works so I can't get stressed about it,and quite honestly I think it's underestimating the average person's intelligence to suggest they don't realise what this data collecting is all about.

Would you expect someone in a UK airport, wearing an ID badge, to take someone's details and use them for hard telesales? Obviously, most tourists who get caught by this are lured into a false sense of security that because it is inside the airport that it can't be a con.

Loaded
07-03-2013, 12:20

the cleaners and gardeners are not lying to people or going about their jobs by using deceitful tactics so I don't include them.

candy2411
07-03-2013, 12:34
Would you expect someone in a UK airport, wearing an ID badge, to take someone's details and use them for hard telesales? Obviously, most tourists who get caught by this are lured into a false sense of security that because it is inside the airport that it can't be a con.

I do actually, you see them all the time at Manchester airport. They're usually 'data collecting' for credit card companies or charities. It's amazing what information people will give, just to get a free hat, bag , cuddly toy etc!!

I just don't believe these people don't realise they're going to get follow-up calls or e-mails.

TF1
07-03-2013, 13:12
I do actually, you see them all the time at Manchester airport. They're usually 'data collecting' for credit card companies or charities. It's amazing what information people will give, just to get a free hat, bag , cuddly toy etc!!

I just don't believe these people don't realise they're going to get follow-up calls or e-mails.

But if they are data collecting for Mastercard, they wear a Mastercard ID badge, not a Devonshire Tourist Board T shirt.

candy2411
07-03-2013, 13:13
the cleaners and gardeners are not lying to people or going about their jobs by using deceitful tactics so I don't include them.

sorry Loaded, I was being facetious:wink:you obviously have no time for the whole t/share industry, but when you make such a strong statement about the employees being deceitful and of low morality, just where do you draw the line.

TOTO 99
07-03-2013, 13:18
I'm inclined to agree with Candy here.

I sat next to an elderly couple on a flight into Tenerife last year. We got chatting and they told me that they had two timeshares. One they'd had for many years and the other only a couple of years. They were more than happy with what they got for their money.

Timeshare is not for me but it did convince me that whilst it had a poor reputation it wasn't all bad. It works for a great many people but you don't really hear about that part of it.

In his heyday, Mr Palmer had one aim only and that was to rip as many people off as possible. He chose timeshare as the vehicle to do this and he reached an astonishing level of success and seriously tarnished the reputation of timeshare and anyone who worked in the field. Since then things have become a bit more transparent. Nowadays you would struggle to get that longevity in a swindle. There are still baddies and there are still mug punters but surely that can't mean the whole industry is bad?

I think fair play to the OP for alerting people to what's going on at the airport but if you give your email address to a stranger you can pretty much guess you'll be getting an email from them.

woolli
07-03-2013, 13:40
But if they are data collecting for Mastercard, they wear a Mastercard ID badge, not a Devonshire Tourist Board T shirt.

The staff at the airport have their names on, as well as either a Siverpoint badge, or a Club La Costa badge. They also have large stands with Silvrpoint and Club La Costa , wrote in big letters. What else do you want them to have?
You really do need to get your facts right.

Loaded
07-03-2013, 14:34
There's no doubt it works for some people I just don't understand why if a product is so good and works so well for so many people - why can't it be advertised for what it is?

For example, another great product is a Mercedes Benz. You don't see people trying to scrape data to try and organise viewings, you don't see someone buying a ticket to siam park that turns out they have to go and look around the Merc garage.....

If the product is good people will go to it when it is advertised for what it is - why can't Timeshare do that too?

TF1
07-03-2013, 15:23
The staff at the airport have their names on, as well as either a Siverpoint badge, or a Club La Costa badge. They also have large stands with Silvrpoint and Club La Costa , wrote in big letters. What else do you want them to have?
You really do need to get your facts right.

I expect them to say "We are working for a timeshare organization, so please sign this so that we can use your personal data", not "We are doing a survey". They are hiding their motives behind lies, and then unlawfully using personal data. Those are the facts so stop trying to cover them up with the usual bull***t which you have probably been conditioned into telling your leads. Getting someone's personal details under false pretenses and then storing and using it IS ILLEGAL IN SPAIN.
If you insist that I should still get my facts right, perhaps you should study the subject further. Here is the link for the government agency who deal with data protection. https://www.agpd.es/portalwebAGPD/jornadas/dia_proteccion_2011/ciudadano/index-ides-idphp.php

woolli
07-03-2013, 16:34
I expect them to say "We are working for a timeshare organization, so please sign this so that we can use your personal data", not "We are doing a survey". They are hiding their motives behind lies, and then unlawfully using personal data. Those are the facts so stop trying to cover them up with the usual bull***t which you have probably been conditioned into telling your leads. Getting someone's personal details under false pretenses and then storing and using it IS ILLEGAL IN SPAIN.
If you insist that I should still get my facts right, perhaps you should study the subject further. Here is the link for the government agency who deal with data protection. https://www.agpd.es/portalwebAGPD/jornadas/dia_proteccion_2011/ciudadano/index-ides-idphp.php
My leads? What are you insinuating? I work at the airport? If it really bothers you so much, do something about it then! And yes, do try to get your facts right.

TF1
07-03-2013, 16:50
My leads? What are you insinuating? I work at the airport? If it really bothers you so much, do something about it then! And yes, do try to get your facts right.

You seem very passionate about defending this practice, one can only assume that you are connected with the sector. Do you (A) not consider a link to the government page which outlines such practices as illegal not factual enough? Or (B) are you trying to tell us on this forum that Spanish law does not apply to the timeshare industry?

Please enlighten us to which of the two options you believe is correct, as one of them must be. A simple A or B please.

And yes, the next time I am at the airport, if I am approached, I will most certainly report the person and organization to the AGPD for attempting to fraudulently obtain my personal details.

woolli
07-03-2013, 17:02
You seem very passionate about defending this practice, one can only assume that you are connected with the sector. Do you (A) not consider a link to the government page which outlines such practices as illegal not factual enough? Or (B) are you trying to tell us on this forum that Spanish law does not apply to the timeshare industry?

Please enlighten us to which of the two options you believe is correct, as one of them must be. A simple A or B please.

And yes, the next time I am at the airport, if I am approached, I will most certainly report the person and organization to the AGPD for attempting to fraudulently obtain my personal details.
I am not defending the practice, I am defending the data collectors. They are not criminals, they pay there due into the Spanish tax system. The people who you should be concerned with is the men at the top who employ these people in the first place. Will they be bothered what you do? I dare say not, they will only start to worry when the money stops coming in, and, to be honest I wouldnt want to be the person who as reported them! You please feel free to report them, thats your perogotive. On a personal note, I wouldnt be so quick in doing so. But thats me who values my family life.
And by the way, im not in timeshare, but do know of it!

KirstyJay
07-03-2013, 17:03

My mum's arriving on Sunday, I might tell her to do just that... then we can buy ourselves a nice apartment in San Juan instead of a timeshare ;)

Don't confuse a fine with compensation. Fines go to the government, not the victim.Damn. :D....

TF1
07-03-2013, 17:45
I am not defending the practice, I am defending the data collectors. They are not criminals, they pay there due into the Spanish tax system. The people who you should be concerned with is the men at the top who employ these people in the first place. Will they be bothered what you do? I dare say not, they will only start to worry when the money stops coming in, and, to be honest I wouldnt want to be the person who as reported them! You please feel free to report them, thats your perogotive. On a personal note, I wouldnt be so quick in doing so. But thats me who values my family life.

I'm afraid I have no sympathy for the data collectors. They are trained to lie, and they are not forced into the job at gunpoint. And no, I am not intimidated by the prospect of threats from anyone within the timeshare industry, or ever have been, so would readily make any required report.
But it is good for forum members to know that they still need to resort to violence to protect their business from justice. Now, what were some posters saying about how the industry had been cleaned up? ???

warbey
07-03-2013, 19:13
just laff at em and walk past em like i do, they get the message:wink:

I would be very likely to say (in a loud Voice)

Timeshare aren't getting My Details.

The rest of the Queue would then be primed..

We once had good Friends who had a few Timeshares. We would accompany Them sometimes.

These were really nice and I too was inclined to join in and get one.

We are not really talking about this though, are We.?

We are talking of People being accosted and misled within the Airside of an Airport.

If They have Stands and stay there, I have NO problem

Walking up to People, looking and acting as an Official is wrong

I am certainly glad that I for One, can't disagree with that sentiment.
Bringing this out into the open can do no Harm to any innocent Person.
so I do wonder at the Motives of anyone who wants the Thread closed.

I am glad to be in the Majority who want the Thread to run it's course

cheery
07-03-2013, 20:26
Whilst I don't like the fact that they employ underhand tactics, you have to admire their ingenuity in coming up with new 'ideas'. If they could only turn their obvious talents to something a bit more ethical they would be good for the economy.

As to people fronting up some of the Mr. Bigs behind timeshare, be my guest. From the limited knowledge I have via a third party you wouldn't be best advised doing anything silly.

TF1
07-03-2013, 20:57
Whilst I don't like the fact that they employ underhand tactics, you have to admire their ingenuity in coming up with new 'ideas'. If they could only turn their obvious talents to something a bit more ethical they would be good for the economy.

As to people fronting up some of the Mr. Bigs behind timeshare, be my guest. From the limited knowledge I have via a third party you wouldn't be best advised doing anything silly.

These people are not interested in anyone's economy but their own. And I'm not talking about fronting up to anyone, just reporting them to the AGPD for infraction of laws. In such a case, the person who makes the denuncia is not disclosed to the offender, but the timeshare company and all of their staff, devices and offices would just be the subject of a huge inspection.
PS, aren't all the Mr.Bigs on remand or exiled?:bootyshake:

candy2411
07-03-2013, 21:51
These people are not interested in anyone's economy but their own. And I'm not talking about fronting up to anyone, just reporting them to the AGPD for infraction of laws. In such a case, the person who makes the denuncia is not disclosed to the offender, but the timeshare company and all of their staff, devices and offices would just be the subject of a huge inspection.
PS, aren't all the Mr.Bigs on remand or exiled?:bootyshake:

You obviously feel very strongly about the timeshare data collecting at the airport, even providing the link to AGPD. Have you considered making the denuncia yourself? or maybe you have and just want back-up!:wink:

lapalma
07-03-2013, 23:01

A very honest post.

TF1
08-03-2013, 10:20
You obviously feel very strongly about the timeshare data collecting at the airport, even providing the link to AGPD. Have you considered making the denuncia yourself? or maybe you have and just want back-up!:wink:

I feel strongly about issues which have a negative effect upon the island which I live on, whether it be corrupt politicians or large organizations openly flouting laws which smaller businesses constantly get fined for. If someone comes on a holiday to Tenerife, is duped into divulging their personal details at the airport, and then is subsequently bombarded by hard telesales calls for the next six months, they might well not return and would probably tell friends and family to avoid Tenerife if they want a peaceful life.
Regarding making the denuncia myself, as per my previous post, if I was approached by someone trying to get my details by fraudulent methods, no matter who they were working for, then I would not hesitate in making the report. No back up requested or required.

candy2411
08-03-2013, 10:57
thanks for reply TF1, and I applaud your values.However, the point we disagree on is that I don't believe people are 'duped' as you say in giving their personal details.

It has been previously posted that the canvassers at the airport wear clearly visible clothing and name badges making it obvious who they are working for so I fail to see where the duplicity lies.

Whether or not the company involved are contravening any data protection laws is a totally different matter, but I can't believe the people freely giving their details without any pressure, can honestly say they don't realise they will be contacted again. Everyone knows their is no such thing as a 'free' lunch, or holiday for that matter!

The airport location is probably a great venue for the canvassers as they have a captive audience and people with time to kill, but no-one has mentioned being at all hassled and its unlikely they ever would given the nature of the venue and all the security.

If anyone objects to the practice then just give it all a wide berth as I do, not worth getting stressed over:)

junglejim
08-03-2013, 11:04
Candy,it's hard to give them a wide berth when you are actually in the boarding queue at the departure gate jockeying for the priority or non priority queue with hand luggage or kids !
They walk along with their clipboards and Mormon smiles and people assume they are on official business - last time I saw them and advised couple in front of us who were unaware of the consequences of giving out details .
They never seem to target Spanish ,German flights?

candy2411
08-03-2013, 11:36
but JJ, they are on 'official' business of a sort!

You've admitted they're pleasant....you can't honestly say they give anybody real hassle or earache.Very different to the PRs out on the streets, not just for timeshare, but bars, restaurants... now they're a real pain!

Red Devil
08-03-2013, 15:45
thanks for reply TF1, and I applaud your values.However, the point we disagree on is that I don't believe people are 'duped' as you say in giving their personal details.

It has been previously posted that the canvassers at the airport wear clearly visible clothing and name badges making it obvious who they are working for so I fail to see where the duplicity lies.

Whether or not the company involved are contravening any data protection laws is a totally different matter, but I can't believe the people freely giving their details without any pressure, can honestly say they don't realise they will be contacted again. Everyone knows their is no such thing as a 'free' lunch, or holiday for that matter!

The airport location is probably a great venue for the canvassers as they have a captive audience and people with time to kill, but no-one has mentioned being at all hassled and its unlikely they ever would given the nature of the venue and all the security.

If anyone objects to the practice then just give it all a wide berth as I do, not worth getting stressed over:)

As the original poster on this subject the only person who has mentioned anything about visible clothing and name badges is Woolli, certainly not me, which is why I started the post.
If I had seen a prominent name badge I wouldn't have wasted my breath asking him where he was from!
And yes, I do object to this deceitful practice and don't see why I should give it a wide berth if it helps just one person on this forum from being taken in.
It's irrelevant whether anyone finds it hard to believe people would be sucked in .... They were cos I was there and saw it happening and you weren't.

candy2411
08-03-2013, 19:57
As the original poster on this subject the only person who has mentioned anything about visible clothing and name badges is Woolli, certainly not me, which is why I started the post.
If I had seen a prominent name badge I wouldn't have wasted my breath asking him where he was from!
And yes, I do object to this deceitful practice and don't see why I should give it a wide berth if it helps just one person on this forum from being taken in.
It's irrelevant whether anyone finds it hard to believe people would be sucked in .... They were cos I was there and saw it happening and you weren't.

I could never perceive it as a deceitful practice, but you obviously do and you're entitled to your opinion. If you feel that strongly, then maybe you should make the denuncia suggested in an earlier post .......

marbro8
08-03-2013, 20:39
it's irrelevant whether they wear name badges or not, they can stand under a massive banner singing and dancing??? untill this post was started not many people had heard who silverpoint was anyway? they could have been a data collecting agency working for the airport for all we know:lol:

Loaded
08-03-2013, 20:51
Surely everyone knows who silverpoint are !!!!! They're advertise everywhere aren't they ????

Oh that's right, they aren't

warbey
08-03-2013, 20:53
I could never perceive it as a deceitful practice, but you obviously do and you're entitled to your opinion. If you feel that strongly, then maybe you should make the denuncia suggested in an earlier post .......

And if You don't, why the Unsolicited advice which appears to suggest You feel VERY strongly.

If not concerned, I can't think of any reason for that Reply.

The Thread was to warn People of what is happening. NOT Who does what..

candy2411
08-03-2013, 21:56
The fact that timeshare reps may be canvassing at the airport is of no particular concern to me, the fact that timeshare exists in Tenerife is of no concern to me either.

I don't like unfair criticism however, and I feel some of the comments made regarding the data collectors very unjust. I don't know any personally in case anyone thinks I do, I just feel they're doing a job, earning a wage, and I don't see anything wrong in that.

marbro8
08-03-2013, 22:14
The fact that timeshare reps may be canvassing at the airport is of no particular concern to me, the fact that timeshare exists in Tenerife is of no concern to me either.

I don't like unfair criticism however, and I feel some of the comments made regarding the data collectors very unjust. I don't know any personally in case anyone thinks I do, I just feel they're doing a job, earning a wage, and I don't see anything wrong in that.to be honest candy we seem to be going round in circles here:wink: no one is having a go at the people personally, they may well be nice people trying to earn a living, BUT by the very fact that they are seemingly getting info from people under false pretenses then they are going to be seen as persona non grata by the very fact of what they are doing, sweeny todd was a great barber and you could have a great conversation with him in the chair, but i wouldn't have liked a shave by him or buy 1 of his pies :wink:

AL JAY
08-03-2013, 22:48
Candy,I think you may change your mind if you google "Silverpoint reviews Tenerife* or Club la costa etc! Also you say in an earlier post that they are on official business! Don't make me laugh! They were given an inch and they have taken a yard! They pay to have a stand at TFS similar to what you see in UK supermarkets selling Conservatories etc! When you are picking your Fruit & Veg in Asda or queing up at the checkout you don't get someone invading you're space enquiring how you're Double glazing is! These people at TFS are desperate and will go to great lengths to get Data off gullible people who are still in holiday mode!

They will be pestered to death with phone calls and emails when they get home, The silly easy question they ask people to win a prize is the new Scratchcard con!
Hasn't it crossed you're mind why Wooli wants this thread closed, Anyone who has read the similar thread on the old forum will notice the only ones who don't want this bad publicity are in the same business themselves, They will swear on a stack of Bibles that its not Timeshare,they will call it all the names under the sun like Fractional ownership/Holiday Club etc! I was speaking to someone who used to be in the industry today and some of the stories he told me would have the hair standing up on the back you're neck.

As someone mentioned earlier in this thread, Why don't they tell the truth at the outset? I think we all know why! They would starve!

marbro8
08-03-2013, 22:58
Candy,I think you may change your mind if you google "Silverpoint reviews Tenerife* or Club la costa etc! Also you say in an earlier post that they are on official business! Don't make me laugh! They were given an inch and they have taken a yard! They pay to have a stand at TFS similar to what you see in UK supermarkets selling Conservatories etc! When you are picking your Fruit & Veg in Asda or queing up at the checkout you don't get someone invading you're space enquiring how you're Double glazing is! These people at TFS are desperate and will go to great lengths to get Data off gullible people who are still in holiday mode!

They will be pestered to death with phone calls and emails when they get home, The silly easy question they ask people to win a prize is the new Scratchcard con!
Hasn't it crossed you're mind why Wooli wants this thread closed, Anyone who has read the similar thread on the old forum will notice the only ones who don't want this bad publicity are in the same business themselves, They will swear on a stack of Bibles that its not Timeshare,they will call it all the names under the sun like Fractional ownership/Holiday Club etc! I was speaking to someone who used to be in the industry today and some of the stories he told me would have the hair standing up on the back you're neck.

As someone mentioned earlier in this thread, Why don't they tell the truth at the outset? I think we all know why! They would starve!i knew some one would come along and put the argument across a bit better than me:lol::wink:

woolli
08-03-2013, 23:13
Surely everyone knows who silverpoint are !!!!! They're advertise everywhere aren't they ????

Oh that's right, they aren't

Loaded Silverpoint have the biggest advert along the road out of the airport, and the biggest one going into the airport. I dont see any Paloma Beach ads!

it's irrelevant whether they wear name badges or not, they can stand under a massive banner singing and dancing??? untill this post was started not many people had heard who silverpoint was anyway? they could have been a data collecting agency working for the airport for all we know:lol:
You are a very deluded man. sorry boy. Silverpoint have been in the airport for at least three years. They have the biggest advert on the way out of the airport, and coming in. Bigger than Siam Park or anything else. The Canarians know that the operation brings people to the island, creating much revenue what the island needs. Would they allow such advertising otherwise? I think not. Marbro, Warbey, red devil, loaded, you have tried very hard in your quest, and fair play to you, but 2,000 holidaymakers a week are prepared to give details, eventually more revenue for the island. Its what we need.

Loaded
08-03-2013, 23:47
Loaded Silverpoint have the biggest advert along the road out of the airport, and the biggest one going into the airport. I dont see any Paloma Beach ads!

You are a very deluded man. sorry boy. Silverpoint have been in the airport for at least three years. They have the biggest advert on the way out of the airport, and coming in. Bigger than Siam Park or anything else. The Canarians know that the operation brings people to the island, creating much revenue what the island needs. Would they allow such advertising otherwise? I think not. Marbro, Warbey, red devil, loaded, you have tried very hard in your quest, and fair play to you, but 2,000 holidaymakers a week are prepared to give details, eventually more revenue for the island. Its what we need.

Go and look at the advert and tell me what it says, does it say much about them or what they do ?

Don't see adverts for Paloma beach? Search google for anything relating to our product and you'll most likely see an advert with a tag line explaining what we do in a nutshell.

marbro8
08-03-2013, 23:50

You are a very deluded man. sorry boy. Silverpoint have been in the airport for at least three years. They have the biggest advert on the way out of the airport, and coming in. Bigger than Siam Park or anything else. The Canarians know that the operation brings people to the island, creating much revenue what the island needs. Would they allow such advertising otherwise? I think not. Marbro, Warbey, red devil, loaded, you have tried very hard in your quest, and fair play to you, but 2,000 holidaymakers a week are prepared to give details, eventually more revenue for the island. Its what we need.i aint deluded man or boy, i have been contacted by them after being coned at birmingham airport, they pestered me for weeks on the telephone until i threatened them with trading standards, now why would they back off after i said that if they where a reasonable company??? and the 2000 people that give the info do not know who they are giving it to? and i am sure the island would survive without these leeches, because it can stand on its own with what it offers to holiday makers. just a point, i wonder how many people have been put off coming to the island because of the timeshare touts?:wink:

woolli
08-03-2013, 23:54
Go and look at the advert and tell me what it says, does it say much about them or what they do ?

Don't see adverts for Paloma beach? Search google for anything relating to our product and you'll most likely see an advert with a tag line explaining what we do in a nutshell.
Unfortunately, you cannot afford the sane advertising space, or am I wrong?

Sal
08-03-2013, 23:56
As far as I'm concerned, they can all shove it up their *****!
If I really wanted to consider timeshare, I would go to a reputable company!

Loaded
09-03-2013, 00:02
Unfortunately, you cannot afford the sane advertising space, or am I wrong?

I don't know I haven't checked the prices but considering our monthly budget is around 5000 euros I think we could afford it, however it wouldn't be money well spent.....

Our advertising strategy is obviously different because we're selling different products, whereas we try and engage with clients while they're searching for holidays and accommodation, silverpoint clearly have a massive sign at the airport so that when people at the airport are approached they are already somehow familiar to the client.

The fact that I can google "silverpoint tenerife" and the first result (sponsored) is "timeshare money back" followed by "beware of silverpoint reps" in several of the following links tells you how much they value online marketing.

Have a look on their website and tell me if you see any clear mention of what they really do on it.

Also not sure why my businesses advertising budget is relevant in this debate ??????

marbro8
09-03-2013, 00:03
As far as I'm concerned, they can all shove it :winkup their *****!
If I really wanted to consider timeshare, I would go to a reputable company! or a company that just let their advertising and product do the talking and not their touts:wink:

woolli
09-03-2013, 00:07
I don't know I haven't checked the prices but considering our monthly budget is around 5000 euros I think we could afford it, however it wouldn't be money well spent.....

Our advertising strategy is obviously different because we're selling different products, whereas we try and engage with clients while they're searching for holidays and accommodation, silverpoint clearly have a massive sign at the airport so that when people at the airport are approached they are already somehow familiar to the client.

The fact that I can google "silverpoint tenerife" and the first result (sponsored) is "timeshare money back" followed by "beware of silverpoint reps" in several of the following links tells you how much they value online marketing.

Have a look on their website and tell me if you see any clear mention of what they really do on it.
Clever marketing on both sides dont you think?

Sal
09-03-2013, 00:09
or a company that just let their advertising and product do the talking and not their touts:wink:

They need to realise that people are wise to them now. I do feel sorry for people who move to the island and think they are going to earn huge commissions from timeshare, but - sorry guys try washing-up or clearing tables!

Loaded
09-03-2013, 00:11
Clever marketing on both sides dont you think?

Of course, I haven't ever said they're stupid - just not very upfront about what they do.

According to their website you rent an apartment for a grand a week and all you have to do is chat to their staff about excursions and return holidays etc......

woolli
09-03-2013, 00:14
or a company that just let their advertising and product do the talking and not their touts:wink:

You cant be the same marbro on another thread who was smuggling ciggys into the UK avoiding tax? False pretenses?
Dear oh dear!

marbro8
09-03-2013, 00:18
They need to realise that people are wise to them now. I do feel sorry for people who move to the island and think they are going to earn huge commissions from timeshare, but - sorry guys try washing-up or clearing tables!our first holiday on the island about 7 years ago was at the villa mandi, we had to run a gauntlet some days to get through the timeshare touts, after a few days we ended up talking to them, yes they were nice people and yes they were trying to earn a living, but it was at the likes of our expense:angry:, they even offered us 50 euros one day just to go to a presentation? but it just wasn't worth a day of our holiday, they really will try anything to earn their commission, they have no morals, it is all about selling to be able to stay and live on the island:mad:

You cant be the same marbro on another thread who was smuggling ciggys into the UK avoiding tax? False pretenses?
Dear oh dear!6 sleeves is hardly al capone is it:wink: and i have defrauded my country out of a few hundred pounds, i wonder how much timeshare has defrauded out of innocent people:wink:

candy2411
09-03-2013, 10:48
This thread has been a great exchange of views but to be honest ,it really has now run its course don't you think.

People are never going to agree and especially those with conflicting business interests who see timeshare as competition to their livelihood.

The thread started out alerting everyone to the fact canvassers where at the airport but its turned into the Great Timeshare Debate!

Whether you approve or not , timeshare is as embedded into the Tenerife culture as cockroaches are. You have to live alongside both, as neither is going to go away and you can never eradicate either!

Live and let live I say!:):):):):)

Loaded
09-03-2013, 11:37
Hmmmm hardly competition to livelihood ! Two totally different products if you're referring to me- I assume you are .

René
09-03-2013, 11:49
timeshare is as embedded into the Tenerife culture as cockroaches are.

A very good comparison. :duh:

Angusjim
09-03-2013, 11:57
6 sleeves is hardly al capone is it:wink: and i have defrauded my country out of a few hundred pounds, i wonder how much timeshare has defrauded out of innocent people:wink:

Are they any worse than the lying cheating estate agents etc who adverised apartments for sale "with great returns on holiday rentals" which they knew were on complexes which it was illegal to carryout holiday rentals on or the corrupt Canarian Government who did nothing about it but gladly took all the monies charged on the purchase of the properties. They all seem to be sleeping OK at night as do the ex timeshare parasites who have retired comfortably off, based on the misery that they have caused to many peoples lives. But he ho thats life where theres money to be made you can be sure there will always be people to take advantage of others

TF1
09-03-2013, 12:06
timeshare is as embedded into the Tenerife culture as cockroaches are. You have to live alongside both, :):):):):)

Cockroaches are far easier to eliminate. But neither are invincible or untouchable.

Pooh
09-03-2013, 12:27
I have no business interest in either side, but the methods used by those companies can NEVER be justified, by any argument, other than by greed.
That it's some kind of good for everyone is plain ridiculous, since they scare away a lot more people and money than they actually bring here.
That "everyone knows who they are" is plain ridiculous; Who the *** looks at billboards along the road? Not me! I look at the scenery. I had never heard of Silverpoint before I read this thread, and wouldn't know what they were about even if they had tags - unless they clearly told me, which they obviously don't. That's the whole point. Anyone doing any kind of HONEST business clearly declare what they are about and what they represent, and don't use false pretenses to get a lead or sale.
In this case it's not just immoral, but illegal.

TF1
09-03-2013, 13:02
I have no business interest in either side, but the methods used by those companies can NEVER be justified, by any argument, other than by greed.
That it's some kind of good for everyone is plain ridiculous, since they scare away a lot more people and money than they actually bring here.
That "everyone knows who they are" is plain ridiculous; Who the *** looks at billboards along the road? Not me! I look at the scenery. I had never heard of Silverpoint before I read this thread, and wouldn't know what they were about even if they had tags - unless they clearly told me, which they obviously don't. That's the whole point. Anyone doing any kind of HONEST business clearly declare what they are about and what they represent, and don't use false pretenses to get a lead or sale.
In this case it's not just immoral, but illegal.

Fully agree, I also have no business interest in competition to timeshare, I work as a researcher for social EU projects. But it is quite obvious that the marketing methods used by these organizations, as opposed to the products, have a very negative effect upon the image of Tenerife, which almost certainly cause economic damage to the tourist industry.
In a nutshell, a small % make profits whilst the majority suffer the consequences.

golf birdie
09-03-2013, 13:09
Fully agree, I also have no business interest in competition to timeshare, I work as a researcher for social EU projects. But it is quite obvious that the marketing methods used by these organizations, as opposed to the products, have a very negative effect upon the image of Tenerife, which almost certainly cause economic damage to the tourist industry.
In a nutshell, a small % make profits whilst the majority suffer the consequences.

to be honest, I doubt if Tenerife would the tourist island it is today without the early timeshare days.

candy2411
09-03-2013, 13:11
Hmmmm hardly competition to livelihood ! Two totally different products if you're referring to me- I assume you are .

I wasn't referring to you in particular, but to anyone in the market for providing accommodation, whether that be hotels, apartment rental , property sales.

Tenerife is big enough and has enough visitors to accommodate everyone.There is no 'one size fits all' and if people want to go the timeshare route then so be it.

TF1
09-03-2013, 13:22
to be honest, I doubt if Tenerife would the tourist island it is today without the early timeshare days.

Who's to say it might not have been be better? Some of the highest quality and most successful tourist destinations in Spain (Rosas, Javea, etc), have thrived without timeshare.
But please re-read my comment. I am not saying anything against the value of timeshare products, but I am criticizing the marketing practices as having created the negative effects.

golf birdie
09-03-2013, 13:44
Who's to say it might not have been be better? Some of the highest quality and most successful tourist destinations in Spain (Rosas, Javea, etc), have thrived without timeshare.
But please re-read my comment. I am not saying anything against the value of timeshare products, but I am criticizing the marketing practices as having created the negative effects.

we will never know the answer to that question but before timeshare took off the south of Tenerife was mostly desert with very few big hotel companies (if any) willing to invest.

BobMac
09-03-2013, 14:01
we will never know the answer to that question but before timeshare took off the south of Tenerife was mostly desert with very few big hotel companies (if any) willing to invest.

Are you seriously trying to say that Timeshare was single-handedly responsible for creating the whole of the tourist industry on the South coast ??

TF1
09-03-2013, 14:08
I don't agree, from my own memory the timeshare industry followed the initial tourist boom in the South, not vice versa. But other destinations (many which do not have Tenerife's year-round weather advantage) have done very well without timeshare.
Let's be honest and realistic; timeshare has only been a success due to it's aggressive (and often illegal) marketing methods. The product, if it had been sold with normal, legal methods, would not have dominated the market because it quite simply is not a logical choice, once fine prints are read. But as always, in an open market, there will be products to satisfy demand. If timeshare was not here, other forms of tourism would have dominated instead.

Loaded
09-03-2013, 14:24
I don't think anyone is saying the principle if timeshare is not a good idea that works well for some - what I and others are condemning is the way it is marketed and sold here in tenerife.

Pooh
09-03-2013, 14:26
I don't think anyone is saying the principle if timeshare is not a good idea that works well for some - what I and others are condemning is the way it is marketed and sold here in tenerife.

Exactly!

Marianne
09-03-2013, 15:53
Every one of our holidays in Tenerife have been via Timeshare exchange (we own timeshare in the UK- RCI though). When we first came here, we used to be constantly hassled by timeshare taunts- it was a total pain. This year we stayed at the Regency Club, and it was hilarious to see the changes. We were totally and absolutely ignored by the Timeshare sellers- not even a hello how are you, nought, nothing, zero - they never even looked at us. They were too busy selling to the Russians and other Eastern Europeans. Our exchange Unit was tiny - and it was clear that the best units were given to the Russians, etc, over on a cheapo in the hope they would buy.

After years of hating all the hassle from those smooth talking sellers- we were almost offended by being absolutely and totally ignored :)

warbey
09-03-2013, 19:37
I felt the criticism was Fair, when referring to he Activities of this Business. You didn't, which is Your priviledge.

Having been exposed and harrassed for many Years (I must look affluent) I am under no illusions.

As regards working for them, well, Morals can sometimes be difficult and expensive.

For proof, ask at any Red Light District.............

Reading on, I note the remarks about Adverts at the Airport.

A good product DOESNT NEED Advertising, It sells Itself.

Loaded
11-03-2013, 11:30
At the airport now dropping the missus.....

Bill board says: silverpoint comfort lounge now available.

That's it! No explanation as to what they do or are.

AL JAY
11-03-2013, 13:35
At the airport now dropping the missus.....

Bill board says: silverpoint comfort lounge now available.

That's it! No explanation as to what they do or are.

I think that is where they administer the Rohypnol :wink:

Marianne
11-03-2013, 14:48
We were once offered a free stay in Tenerife by a timeshare company. Only condition was that we gave them 1 hour of our time there to listen to their 'Spiel' about timeshare points. We were 'highjacked' for a whole day... first this very nice lady came to pick us up by courtesy car to take us for breakfast. We soon realised her friendly banter had the sole purpose to suss us out, our finances, etc. She then drove us to a sales villa in a very remote location - no public transport, no taxis. We then had to wait for ages until this timeshare guy took us to his office to do his sales speech. Several hours had passed by then. He then said he would call his boss to do the final sales pitch. We said absolutely no point, as we were absolutely not going to buy, so thanks, but no thanks, could you take back to the Hotel please. No way was his reply, can't let you go until you've talked to him. We complained and asked for immediate tranfer back to the hotel. Refused.

We had to wait ages for Big Boss to come and talk to us, making all these stupid drawings with his posh pen- round and round again. We then said a firm and definite NO- take us back to hotel please. We were about 5 hours into the process by then. He got quite nasty and said if we were in a hurry (the cheek of it !!!) we could just pay for the hotel and be released. We then threatened to call the police, so he became very rude and finally got someone to drive us back. Funny in hindsight - but we should have made formal complaint but didn't. So if ever you accept a free holiday against a presentation- take yourself there in your own car, and take the police number with you:goodluck:

candy2411
11-03-2013, 16:51
Marianne, when you say you were offered a free stay in Tenerife, how long was this for and did they pay for your flights as well? hope you don't mind me asking, it's not for any particular reason, just curious. Sounds an horrendous experience by the way!

sam1111111
13-03-2013, 03:35
another rip off, no doubt. how many posts do i have to do again

marbro8
13-03-2013, 23:06
We were once offered a free stay in Tenerife by a timeshare company. Only condition was that we gave them 1 hour of our time there to listen to their 'Spiel' about timeshare points. We were 'highjacked' for a whole day... first this very nice lady came to pick us up by courtesy car to take us for breakfast. We soon realised her friendly banter had the sole purpose to suss us out, our finances, etc. She then drove us to a sales villa in a very remote location - no public transport, no taxis. We then had to wait for ages until this timeshare guy took us to his office to do his sales speech. Several hours had passed by then. He then said he would call his boss to do the final sales pitch. We said absolutely no point, as we were absolutely not going to buy, so thanks, but no thanks, could you take back to the Hotel please. No way was his reply, can't let you go until you've talked to him. We complained and asked for immediate tranfer back to the hotel. Refused.

We had to wait ages for Big Boss to come and talk to us, making all these stupid drawings with his posh pen- round and round again. We then said a firm and definite NO- take us back to hotel please. We were about 5 hours into the process by then. He got quite nasty and said if we were in a hurry (the cheek of it !!!) we could just pay for the hotel and be released. We then threatened to call the police, so he became very rude and finally got someone to drive us back. Funny in hindsight - but we should have made formal complaint but didn't. So if ever you accept a free holiday against a presentation- take yourself there in your own car, and take the police number with you:goodluck:another fantastic argument in favour of not accepting time share salespeople as just earning a living and not being over intrusive to holiday makers, just trying to have a nice quiet break after working very hard in the uk or any other european country to be able to afford it:dontknow:

slodgedad
14-03-2013, 00:12
another rip off, no doubt. how many posts do i have to do again
?? To do what?

candy2411
14-03-2013, 09:17
Totally agree with your comment Marbro and I did comment to Marianne that must have been a horrible experience.

If someone's approached in the street with say a scratchcard, or told they'll get a gift, couple bottles spirits, camera etc whatever they're offering, then maybe expecting to listen to the spiel for an hour is to be expected. But if you're offered a 'free stay' , then is it not a bit naïve to be expected to give up only an hour of your time?
Depends I suppose how long that free stay was, could have been a day, 3 days or maybe a week.I did wonder if flights had been included as well but Marianne's not been back on here to say.

Pooh
14-03-2013, 10:45
Why should it matter how long the stay was?
The only thing that matters is how long they *said* they would need them for, compared to the time they actually kept them.
Even worse, that they wouldn't let them go when they reqested it multiple times. That is criminal, and called kidnapping. Minimum sentence I don't know, but several year in prison, in most countries.

Marianne
14-03-2013, 20:45
It was for a week - staying in a hotel in Golf del Sur. We had to buy our own flights and no food provided. We were approached, and not the other way round - and the conditions were made very clear - all we had to do was 'give' them 1 hour of our time to listen to a presentation about timeshare points. As said, we were highjacked and 'bullied' for a whole day, then when we refuse to buy - told we could pay for our holiday to be released. I do wish we had made a formal complaint at the time. Never ever again.

marbro8
14-03-2013, 22:05
It was for a week - staying in a hotel in Golf del Sur. We had to buy our own flights and no food provided. We were approached, and not the other way round - and the conditions were made very clear - all we ahd to do was 'give' them 1 hour of our time to listen to a presentation about timeshare points. As said, we were highjacked and 'bullied' for a whole day, then when we refuse to pay - told we could pay for our holiday to be released. I do wish we had made a formal complaint at the time. Never ever again.i just hope people learn from your mistake marianne:wink2:

Loaded
15-03-2013, 11:37
It all sounds perfectly normal to me lol why wouldn't a company kidnap you so that you buy their product ????? That's normal isn't it?

duquessa
20-03-2013, 15:29
i saw them pestering would never give out address details some people are foolish.

kez1000
01-04-2013, 03:44
Thought I heard them on Sky this morning, never saw them at the airport on Friday as I was leaving!

Posted 12:27 PM by Nicola_Quinn & filed under Canary Islands, Community, Deals, Destinations, Getaway, Hollywoord Mirage, Members, Offers, Silverpoint Vacation Club, Social Media, Tenerife, Travel.

Silverpoint has just released a brand new TV advert campaign, encouraging non-Silverpoint members to experience a fantastic promotional holiday on the island of Tenerife.

The advert gives people the chance to spend a week at the popular holiday destination for significantly discounted rates. This package on offer includes seven nights’ luxury accommodation at a Silverpoint resort, airport transfer in Tenerife and a fantastic tour around the whole island.

Loaded
01-04-2013, 08:17
Great.......

Marianne
01-04-2013, 13:44
Well if you have to 'give them 1 hour of your time for presentation' ....
A/ DO NOT ACCEPT THAT THEY PICK YOU UP - AS YOU WILL BE HIGHJACKED!'
B/ DO NOT LEAVE YOUR BRAINS BEHIND!!!
C/ HAVE THE NUMBER FOR THE TOURIST INFO BUREAU AND A PHONE WITH YOU SO YOU CAN PHONE AND ASK FOR HELP IN BEING RELEASED AND IF NECESSARY, POLICE.

essexeddie
01-04-2013, 15:19
They were there last week as we were queueing to board. I thought it was a prize draw. Luckily I did'nt give them any details. I can never be bothered, you never win anything.
I'm surprised they are allowed to be that side of the Terminal.

Have to admit that I have been to the Island several times every year for the past twenty seven years and never heard of Silverpoint.
Now thats embarrassing!!

warbey
01-04-2013, 19:15
Well if you have to 'give them 1 hour of your time for presentation' ....
A/ DO NOT ACCEPT THAT THEY PICK YOU UP - AS YOU WILL BE HIGHJACKED!'
B/ DO NOT LEAVE YOUR BRAINS BEHIND!!!
C/ HAVE THE NUMBER FOR THE TOURIST INFO BUREAU AND A PHONE WITH YOU SO YOU CAN PHONE AND ASK FOR HELP IN BEING RELEASED AND IF NECESSARY, POLICE.

Leave Your Credit Card behind. Doesn't half annoy Them.!....:mad::mad:

marbro8
01-04-2013, 20:14
Leave Your Credit Card behind. Doesn't half annoy Them.!....:mad::mad:cut ours up a few years ago so we could really peeee em off:crylaughing:
shut up woolli before you even think about it:lol:

warbey
01-04-2013, 20:41
[QUOTE=marbro8;275745]cut ours up a few years ago so we could really peeee em off:crylaughing:
shut up woolli before you even think about it:lol:[/QUOTE

May as well do it to them all M8, and their sympathisers, woollii backs et al.

timmylish
01-04-2013, 22:49
Leave Your Credit Card behind. Doesn't half annoy Them.!....:mad::mad:

Nonsense since credit cards have not been acceptable for a number of years now on any transaction involving T/s and or Holiday Clubs.
Why is it some of you are so well versed on how to deal with T/s when in fact you are clueless!

Albatros
01-04-2013, 22:52
Does it really matter since the law provides a cooling off period does it not?

timmylish
01-04-2013, 23:26
Does it really matter since the law provides a cooling off period does it not?

At last. A member making a correct statement! Thank the heavens for that.

marbro8
01-04-2013, 23:30
At last. A member making a correct statement! Thank the heavens for that.you are talking to people who are still stuck in the 80's so be respectful:lol:;)

murph
02-04-2013, 00:05
We have had three VERY cheap holidays over the last ten years - One on the Costa del Sol (CLub La Costa) and two in Los Cristainos (Resort Properties / Silverpoint) - through these types of promotions.

£199 for two weeks in the Five star Hollywood Mirage for 5 people in a two bedroom apartment with views to the Sea, including getting picked up from the airport and £139 for two weeks for 4 in a 1 bed in Beverly Hills Club. It cost me £750 for a 2 bed two years ago in Los Cristianos and the accommodation wasn't a patch on the 5 Star Mirage!

OK, you have to accept that you are going to have to give up half a day of your holiday and sit through someone trying to sell you something - it's what they are there for after all!

You have to be strong minded, firm and polite. The offers they have are interesting and they take you to some Stunning properties. They feed and water you and are, in the most part, pleasant. They can get a bit pushy but as I say, they are there to sell!

So, it's not for everyone and I agree the methods of gaining names can be a bit underhanded but they are not exactly looking to steal your luggage, gouge your eyes out and leave you destitute.

I guess the truth of the matter is if they were to ask people if they could have their name and contact details for a time-share promotion (while a lovely idea) people would automatically say no as they don't fully understand the whole concept.

The 'OTHER ' truth is that people do not understand time-share and think they automatically will not want it. However some must change their minds when they find out how it works and purchase - or the likes of Silverpoint wouldn't do it! Indeed I know lost of people who own timeshare - LOTS!

I don't own timeshare at the moment - it doesn't work for us right now with the age of our kids - but my Brother in Law owns at club La Costa, Disney and another I can't remember. He and his wife swear by it and as relatively young retirees in their early 60's, they are ALWAYS on holiday - even going on cruises using their various points! They can travel any time of year - avoiding school holidays and their points are worth 4 or 5 times what mine were staying at the same resort.

Horses for Courses

marbro8
02-04-2013, 00:12
thanks for that murph it puts a bit of a different perspective on the timeshare issue and gives the likes of US sceptics a bit more to think about;)

timmylish
02-04-2013, 01:02
Murph. Thanks for a very candid representation of the general principals of selling T/s nowadays. As one of possibly only 3 people on this Forum who stand up for T/s and who have probably worked for a big company here on Tenerife you clearly hit the proverbial "nail on the head" regarding the manner in which the product is marketed. No doubt the morning will bring with it the usual barrage of verbal abuse and misinformation.

slodgedad
02-04-2013, 01:08
The only thing wrong is the way it can be mis sold.

Time share is fine provided you only buy what you need and don't get talked into buying more than you'll ever use.

kathml
02-04-2013, 08:02
Been through the airport 12/14 times in the last year first time I heard of silverpoint was on here and no I'm not blind never seen their name in or out airport never been approached for data ( what's wrong with me)??

junglejim
02-04-2013, 08:27
They don´t go for old people like me and you maybe!!:old::bottomline::bolt:

candy2411
02-04-2013, 08:45
We have had three VERY cheap holidays over the last ten years - One on the Costa del Sol (CLub La Costa) and two in Los Cristainos (Resort Properties / Silverpoint) - through these types of promotions.

£199 for two weeks in the Five star Hollywood Mirage for 5 people in a two bedroom apartment with views to the Sea, including getting picked up from the airport and £139 for two weeks for 4 in a 1 bed in Beverly Hills Club. It cost me £750 for a 2 bed two years ago in Los Cristianos and the accommodation wasn't a patch on the 5 Star Mirage!

OK, you have to accept that you are going to have to give up half a day of your holiday and sit through someone trying to sell you something - it's what they are there for after all!

You have to be strong minded, firm and polite. The offers they have are interesting and they take you to some Stunning properties. They feed and water you and are, in the most part, pleasant. They can get a bit pushy but as I say, they are there to sell!

So, it's not for everyone and I agree the methods of gaining names can be a bit underhanded but they are not exactly looking to steal your luggage, gouge your eyes out and leave you destitute.

I guess the truth of the matter is if they were to ask people if they could have their name and contact details for a time-share promotion (while a lovely idea) people would automatically say no as they don't fully understand the whole concept.

The 'OTHER ' truth is that people do not understand time-share and think they automatically will not want it. However some must change their minds when they find out how it works and purchase - or the likes of Silverpoint wouldn't do it! Indeed I know lost of people who own timeshare - LOTS!

I don't own timeshare at the moment - it doesn't work for us right now with the age of our kids - but my Brother in Law owns at club La Costa, Disney and another I can't remember. He and his wife swear by it and as relatively young retirees in their early 60's, they are ALWAYS on holiday - even going on cruises using their various points! They can travel any time of year - avoiding school holidays and their points are worth 4 or 5 times what mine were staying at the same resort.

Horses for Courses

thanks for the most sensible post on this thread......

we're not all the same, we don't all drive the same car or live in the same type house, why should holidays be any different.:agree:

essexeddie
02-04-2013, 19:50
I'm not convinced they are a good idea, do the maths. Thousands up front and hundreds a week in community charges? The idea is good but its the community charges thats the killer, they have you over a barrel.
Its far cheaper to just hire an apartment and bank your money.

marbro8
02-04-2013, 20:04
The only thing wrong is the way it can be mis sold.

Time share is fine provided you only buy what you need and don't get talked into buying more than you'll ever use.exactly slodge:c2:, wouldn't it be refreshing if you were approached by someone on the street and they said " hi my name is kirsty and i am trying to earn a living here in tenerife and i represent a timeshare company, if you could give us about two hours of your time to go to one of our presentations to take a look at our superb holiday accommodation we will give you a litre of whisky and 200 ciggaretes, and i will get paid 50 euros" instead of "hello are you brits? would you like a free scratch card? oh my god!!!!! i don't believe it:wow:, this has never happened before!!! you have won the first prize:redcard:;)

Fivepence
02-04-2013, 20:17
exactly slodge:c2:, wouldn't it be refreshing if you were approached by someone on the street and they said " hi my name is kirsty and i am trying to earn a living here in tenerife and i represent a timeshare company, if you could give us about two hours of your time to go to one of our presentations to take a look at our superb holiday accommodation we will give you a litre of whisky and 200 ciggaretes, and i will get paid 50 euros" instead of "hello are you brits? would you like a free scratch card? oh my god!!!!! i don't believe it:wow:, this has never happened before!!! you have won the first prize:redcard:;)

Why pick on KirstyJay M8?.............................:laugh:

marbro8
02-04-2013, 20:21
Why pick on KirstyJay M8?.............................:laugh:ups sorry:doh: it was the first name that came into my head:shy: i will post a disclaimer saying the name kirsty is in no way connected with the one on this forum;)

warbey
02-04-2013, 20:27
If People read threads correctly, I can recommend Timeshare, and it's options.

The last encounter with so-called Timeshare People, They wanted My Credit Card.
If that's now forbidden, I stand corrected, but Just HOW MANY years Timmylish..?

I have enjoyed a Standard I haven't found in Hotels on Timeshare Premises, and can recommend them when arranged by reputable People.

I do NOT RECOMMEND the sort of thing these "People" get up to, and as Marbro8 says, the approach must be right.

I cannot see anything wrong with requiring proper Business Ethics.

so perhaps Someone can pick Holes in THAT Statement..

Marianne
02-04-2013, 20:35
Nonsense since credit cards have not been acceptable for a number of years now on any transaction involving T/s and or Holiday Clubs.
Why is it some of you are so well versed on how to deal with T/s when in fact you are clueless!

I wouldn't really consider myself clueless, as we have owned 3 weeks timeshare, 2 in the UK and one in Italy, for 20+ years, have been a trustee and Director of a Gold Crown timeshare resort in the UK and a member of Tatoc.

Would you care to comment on the way we were 'highjacked' as per my description earlier on this thread. Very different to the way we bought in the UK and in Italy, I can assure you. Again, thanks.

KirstyJay
02-04-2013, 21:04
Why pick on KirstyJay M8?.............................:laugh:

I would just like to state that neither myself or this forum is or has been in any way affiliated to ANY timeshare company anywhere ever in the history of the known universe. ;) I hope that makes it clear. :)

From a personal point of view, I agree with what marbro8 said. I don't have a problem with anyone selling anything in an upfront and honest way, but how can I personally feel that a company is trustworthy if they use underhand ways of gathering data?

It's just the same as a Europa rep calling my private line during a lesson today. If ever ANY salesperson calls me on my private number unsolicited, they have not only just lost themselves the sale, they have lost it for all other reps from the same company ;)

Loaded
02-04-2013, 22:53
How else would the other reps have got in touch????

timmylish
03-04-2013, 03:00
Per a European Directive and a seperate Act of Law in Spain, the use of c/c deposit transactions and similar was prohibited a number of years ago (certainly 3 yrs and probably longer).
The use of the term "clueless" was a generalisation in respect of the many members who come on here pontificating all sorts of tripe in relation to T/s. If you are not "clueless" you will soon see what I mean if this thread lasts!

TF1
03-04-2013, 09:18

Is that the public's problem? People manage to book non-timeshare holidays and fully understand what they are buying and how much it will cost them. If the timeshare concept needs explaining, then it should be explained with normal, ethical and legal marketing methods.

kiwiphil
03-04-2013, 12:14
They are definitely at the airport now, surprisingly saw one after check-in, but before customs, so I guess its still a public access area. Being behind check in does give them an appearance of being officially allowed to be there.

Let 'em stay - they are good amusement. See how long you can keep them talking without giving them anything. We can make it a challenge. Consider it a public service - protecting all the other people who get past while you are distracting them :)

ribuck
03-04-2013, 12:21
One of them approached me in the check-in queue last week at TFS. I asked him whether he was collecting timeshare leads for Silverpoint. He immediately said "Yes" but seemed to still expect me to go through with his "Quiz" deception. They were airside too. I wonder how much they pay to the airport for the privelege of accosting passengers airside.

TF1
10-04-2013, 13:55
http://www.elblogoferoz.com/2013/04/10/adeje-protege-a-los-turistas-del-acoso-del-time-sharing/

Adeje have decided to regulate how timeshare is sold, and how it is regulated. They claim that the reps on the streets are a major nuisance to holidaymakers, so will be strictly regulated. Also, timeshare resorts will have to apply for a specific license and must comply with numerous working practices.
Let's hope this levels the playing field.

Loaded
10-04-2013, 15:40
Great news !

Angusjim
10-04-2013, 15:44
Great news !

Now for them Sole Agents :wink2:

warbey
10-04-2013, 20:14
http://www.elblogoferoz.com/2013/04/10/adeje-protege-a-los-turistas-del-acoso-del-time-sharing/

Adeje have decided to regulate how timeshare is sold, and how it is regulated. They claim that the reps on the streets are a major nuisance to holidaymakers, so will be strictly regulated. Also, timeshare resorts will have to apply for a specific license and must comply with numerous working practices.
Let's hope this levels the playing field.

if Adeje implements this, or even makes the neccessary Regulations, how will this

affect the Airport.? It might make the Airport a better Target for Sales/whatever.?

As a non-resident I am asking as An Airport user....

slodgedad
10-04-2013, 21:08
if Adeje implements this, or even makes the neccessary Regulations, how will this

affect the Airport.? It might make the Airport a better Target for Sales/whatever.?

If it's only Adeje that are clamping down it won't affect tge airport at all. Different district, as is the most of the south.

Loaded
11-04-2013, 08:34
Yes but could still affect the airport - if the reps can't work in Adeje without jumping through hoops they'll all got to Arona (los cristianos, half of las Americas) and granadilla de abona (el medano , airport)

Also hard to see how this helps stop the excursion salesmen who are really timeshare lead generators

TF1
11-04-2013, 08:37

As usual in the world of Spanish politics and inept councilors, very few are willing to take the first step with new regulations (this is partly due to the appeal system applied to new by-laws which can cost town halls scores of thousands of euros to uphold). So after the first town hall has successfully implemented such a ruling, there is an extreme probability that others will follow.
The issue of the airport is slightly different as the zone is mainly administered by A.E.N.A., not directly by the Granadilla town hall, though Granadilla still indirectly monitor (and sanction where required) some working practices.
But ..... as in the original link, the Adeje regulations not only apply to the sales techniques, but also the timeshare resorts. So if someone was "sold to by undue pressure or misled" at the airport by a rep from a resort in Adeje municipality, then that resort could still be sanctioned if a complaint was filed.

Angusjim
11-04-2013, 10:42
What all the fuss about I was stopped twice last week in the airport by I assume these timeshare reps just said no intrested and walked on, anybody who stops and proceeds to gives them personall details need their heid looked at:doh:

junglejim
11-04-2013, 15:13
AJ I thought there was an upper age limit for Timeshare - did they not see your Zimmer ?

warbey
11-04-2013, 18:31

Thanks Very much, Loaded and TF1 for elaborating for Me.

I very much doubt any of Them would admit to being based at Adeje.

So, as usual, wait and see. but don't hold Your Breath.

I realise a Zimmer must be offputting, but I wear Speedos to compensate junglejim.
but it does answer why Ive not seen Them.........Yet.:lol::lol:

minimadmandy
12-04-2013, 22:39
While we were waiting to check in we were approached by an official looking lady with a clip board asking stupidly easy questions in disguise as a competition. Obviously everyone won and to claim your "prize" of being inundated with junk emails/ telephone calls etc you had to give your personal details. At this point I laughed and said no chance and she got really annoyed with me and said I was wasting her time!!

After getting through to departures a gentleman was approaching British tourists and handing out questionnaires and then saying her would return to collect them later. He was quite determined as he returned 3 times to try and get ours back! I've kept it and bought it home.

Wondering if it has anything to do with illegal letting as its the first time we have ever been asked to fill in anything in the last 10 times we have visited. Lots of questions about our accommodation, how much we paid and how we booked it and with who.

Some of the questions were quite useful if they take the information seriously and I think it's a shame most people can't be bothered to do it as they are on their way home .

murph
12-04-2013, 22:42
Think you will find its time-share sales - have a look at this thread and add your comments there http://www.tenerifeforum.org/tenerife-forum/showthread.php?24527-Silverpoint-timeshare-reps-are-canvassing-at-the-airport

slodgedad
12-04-2013, 23:41
While we were waiting to check in we were approached by an official looking lady with a clip board asking stupidly easy questions in disguise as a competition. Obviously everyone won and to claim your "prize" of being inundated with junk emails/ telephone calls etc you had to give your personal details. At this point I laughed and said no chance and she got really annoyed with me and said I was wasting her time!!

After getting through to departures a gentleman was approaching British tourists and handing out questionnaires and then saying her would return to collect them later. He was quite determined as he returned 3 times to try and get ours back! I've kept it and bought it home.

Wondering if it has anything to do with illegal letting as its the first time we have ever been asked to fill in anything in the last 10 times we have visited. Lots of questions about our accommodation, how much we paid and how we booked it and with who.

Some of the questions were quite useful if they take the information seriously and I think it's a shame most people can't be bothered to do it as they are on their way home .
When you filled the form in, did it ask for any personal details i.e. phone number or E mail address or was it just a general questionaire?

YOUNG GOLFER
13-04-2013, 00:13
It's a little sad the lengths people go to ......and I though us agents had a bad rep.

Loaded
13-04-2013, 09:27
It's a little sad the lengths people go to ......and I though us agents had a bad rep.

You guys are the worst :wink:

YOUNG GOLFER
13-04-2013, 17:32
You guys are the worst :wink:

Think I might open a office at the airport;)

minimadmandy
13-04-2013, 21:50
When you filled the form in, did it ask for any personal details i.e. phone number or E mail address or was it just a general questionaire?

It asked for your full details. I didn't fill it in I kept it and bought it home.

woolli
13-04-2013, 22:04
It asked for your full details. I didn't fill it in I kept it and bought it home.
The questionaire is conducted by AENA, absolutely nothing to do with this thread!

Red Devil
13-04-2013, 22:33
How do you know that? Why would the airport authority ask the same questions as a timeshare rep do you think?

TF1
13-04-2013, 23:43
The questionaire is conducted by AENA, absolutely nothing to do with this thread!

Have you seen the exact questionaire which minimadmandy has in her possession?

Minimadmandy, would you be able to scan the questionaire and post it on the forum, just so that we can establish who is behind it?

woolli
14-04-2013, 07:28
How do you know that? Why would the airport authority ask the same questions as a timeshare rep do you think?
Very simple. I have a Canarian friend who do the surveys. It is a general questionaire with regards to how long they have been here, were they stayed etc. They are the ones who are wearing blue shirts, and none of them are British.
Anything else Red Devil?

Angusjim
14-04-2013, 07:55

I have seen these forms being handed out for at least the last 2 or 3 years they usualy hand them over and come back in 10 mins or so to collect them. Personally I have never completed one but don't think it has anything to do with Timeshare

Red Devil
14-04-2013, 08:41
Very simple. I have a Canarian friend who do the surveys. It is a general questionaire with regards to how long they have been here, were they stayed etc. They are the ones who are wearing blue shirts, and none of them are British.
Anything else Red Devil?

Well if there is anything else I will ask the appropriate person, dont you worry yourself about that.

minimadmandy
14-04-2013, 08:49

My original post contained information about being approached by timeshare tout AND about the questionnaire I mentioned. It was put on this thread by moderator as it contained information regarding the touts, originally it was a separate thread.

Have you seen the exact questionaire which minimadmandy has in her possession?

Minimadmandy, would you be able to scan the questionaire and post it on the forum, just so that we can establish who is behind it?

Sorry i have no scanner but ive looked at the form and It has nothing on it which identifies it to belonging to anyone (which is why I ignored it). Guy giving it out had pale blue shirt on but with no logo etc. I never give my personal info to anyone anymore as I hate being bombarded with a load of rubbish.

Last year we were approached directly by the time share seller and they were obvious and up front about it, seems like approaching tourists when they are checking in pretending you are something else only works for about 20 seconds and then they are sussed out, hiding your identity like this only makes people suspicious. I was quite happy to talk to them last year when I knew who they were even though I had no intention of buying ( as if someone would commit to something like that in the 20 mins it takes to check in luggage!)

woolli
14-04-2013, 09:23
Well if there is anything else I will ask the appropriate person, dont you worry yourself about that.
Im not worried at all Mr Devil. You asked how I knew, ive told you, fact!

YOUNG GOLFER
14-04-2013, 10:24
It's nice to know I am not the only one who wakes up moody on a Sunday lol

TF1
14-04-2013, 10:31
Sorry i have no scanner but ive looked at the form and It has nothing on it which identifies it to belonging to anyone (which is why I ignored it). Guy giving it out had pale blue shirt on but with no logo etc. I never give my personal info to anyone anymore as I hate being bombarded with a load of rubbish.

Last year we were approached directly by the time share seller and they were obvious and up front about it, seems like approaching tourists when they are checking in pretending you are something else only works for about 20 seconds and then they are sussed out, hiding your identity like this only makes people suspicious. I was quite happy to talk to them last year when I knew who they were even though I had no intention of buying ( as if someone would commit to something like that in the 20 mins it takes to check in luggage!)

Thank you for the information. I'm sure that AENA would have included the mandatory clauses relating to data protection on any of their paperwork which might ask for personal details (this would state the organization and CIF, etc), so we can assume that it was not AENA or any public administration.

timmylish
14-04-2013, 11:10
Thank you for the information. I'm sure that AENA would have included the mandatory clauses relating to data protection on any of their paperwork which might ask for personal details (this would state the organization and CIF, etc), so we can assume that it was not AENA or any public administration.

Fer ****,s sakes. Do you have any contribution to make on this, or any thread, other than in respect to "data protection"?
Anyone heard of the Tour Agency reps. introducing their clients to T/s resorts? Shocking eh? Whit,s that you say? Oh, its ok ;cause its the Tour Agency,s own resorts!!!!!!

Angusjim
14-04-2013, 11:12
Fer ****,s sakes. Do you have any contribution to make on this, or any thread, other than in respect to "data protection"?
Anyone heard of the Tour Agency reps. introducing their clients to T/s resorts? Shocking eh? Whit,s that you say? Oh, its ok ;cause its the Tour Agency,s own resorts!!!!!!

Blood pressure Timmy :lol:

TF1
14-04-2013, 11:46

Touched a sore nerve have we?

On this thread, many have expressed their opinions about the methods used in getting personal information, and how that data is later used. Under Spanish law, it appears that the practice is unlawful. So YES, the data protection act is VERY relevant to this thread. Instead of posting some kind of incoherent riddle, perhaps you can enlighten us with your own "contribution" of valid information demonstrating that the T/S reps at the airport are, in fact, complying with the relative laws.

warbey
14-04-2013, 20:29
It's OUR Data Protection Timmy, and if use of a Person's knowledge leads to the conclusion

something is just a Tad underhanded, I for One, say Thankyou.

The only Questionaires I fill out (occasionally) are from Our Hotel

asking how We rated Them.

Anything else is a No-No. That is MY Data Protection.! .:D:D

woolli
14-04-2013, 21:02
It's OUR Data Protection Timmy, and if use of a Person's knowledge leads to the conclusion

OMG Loaded as made the three stooges into four! Get a life boys, if this is all you are worried about, God help us!!!!!!!!!!

marbro8
14-04-2013, 21:18
OMG Loaded as made the three stooges into four! Get a life boys, if this is all you are worried about, God help us!!!!!!!!!!i am more worried about being hounded by timeshare than the impending war in korea:D;)

slodgedad
15-04-2013, 00:21

I totally agree.

Why, unless you expect to be contacted, would you ever give personal details to anyone?

kiwiphil
15-04-2013, 00:42
Have a laugh, make it fun. Give them your neighbors details. Or your boss's. Or say you live in China. Winding them up is a great way to relieve any stress built up with all the queuing :)

We all know that nothing is "free". The cost of the "free" prize draw is your contact details. Its the only reason companies do these free offers.

I would much rather people put effort into getting Easyjet / Monarch / Ryanair to spend less time selling their food/drink/cosmetics/etc to a captive audience. Now that's annoying!

warbey
15-04-2013, 20:09
OMG Loaded as made the three stooges into four! Get a life boys, if this is all you are worried about, God help us!!!!!!!!!!

Look at the Definition of a Stooge on Google..

Someone who is used by others to..........

Sounds a lot like the Boot's on the other Foot.. No-one is using Me, Mr.

essexeddie
15-04-2013, 20:44
This thread is going off the rails.

marbro8
15-04-2013, 20:57
This thread is going off the rails.stick with it eddie it's all relevant;)

essexeddie
16-04-2013, 11:55
I'll try but getting bleery eyed

superscouse
22-05-2013, 15:15
Two or three years ago, I got caught airside with this "survey". The year after, I got about FIVE calls from Silverpoint about holidays and whatever. I recall I got ratty and told her to F-Off.

Nothing last year.

Today, ten minutes ago, I get a call from +34922761599. It was them again. I explained they rang me five times previously and I didnt want the calls. She apologised and starting talking to me about a holiday this year !
Stupid? ignorant? arrogant? don't know what to say.

I hung up and if she rings again, I will let loose.

Angusjim
22-05-2013, 15:20
Two or three years ago, I got caught airside with this "survey". The year after, I got about FIVE calls from Silverpoint about holidays and whatever. I recall I got ratty and told her to F-Off.

Nothing last year.

Today, ten minutes ago, I get a call from +34922761599. It was them again. I explained they rang me five times previously and I didnt want the calls. She apologised and starting talking to me about a holiday this year !

calm down calm down:laugh:

superscouse
22-05-2013, 15:50
And now the wife tells me she just took a call to the house......

TRYING to "calm down calm down":)

timmylish
22-05-2013, 23:38
And is it not against UK law to swear at someone on the telephone?

kiwiphil
22-05-2013, 23:54

Nothing last year.

Don't get annoyed, make it fun. Answer and say "yes, that sounds great, let me get a pen and sit down". Then wait. When they say something say "just a second, almost ready". And wait. Eventually they will hang up. See who can keep them on the phone for the longest. And then THEY will remove your number for sure!!

Best I've ever done with this game is 7 minutes. And they never called back :)

slodgedad
23-05-2013, 00:18
Don't get annoyed, make it fun. Answer and say "yes, that sounds great, let me get a pen and sit down". Then wait. When they say something say "just a second, almost ready". And wait. Eventually they will hang up. See who can keep them on the phone for the longest. And then THEY will remove your number for sure!!

Best I've ever done with this game is 7 minutes. And they never called back :)
Sounds like an idea for a new thread or competition.....'Who can keep cold callers on the longest?'...:)

superscouse
23-05-2013, 08:34
And is it not against UK law to swear at someone on the telephone?

I don't know.

Who's in the uk? Not me anyway.

princessmonika
23-05-2013, 09:41
i just say nothing and stay online and make myself a cup of coffee -- after 10 min there is nobody online -- i did it a few times - now everything is quiet:idea:

Angusjim
20-04-2014, 08:50
Why are these leaches still allowed to canvass at check in area and why oh why do people give them the time of day and even worse give them their contact details:crazy:. Airport authorities should BAN THEM or are they getting money from these companies:nono:

Ecky Thump
20-04-2014, 09:07
Why are these leaches still allowed to canvass at check in area and why oh why do people give them the time of day and even worse give them their contact details:crazy:. Airport authorities should BAN THEM or are they getting money from these companies:nono:

I think your right, it's the airport companies that are on the take.:agree:

The amount of gullible people who think it's a holiday survey is unbelievable and no doubt they are bombarded with phone calls when they get home.:mad:

lapalma
20-04-2014, 09:47

Because as with any airport worldwide the airport charges those people for doing the surveys as do all airport shops.

Angusjim
20-04-2014, 09:52
Because as with any airport worldwide the airport charges those people for doing the surveys as do all airport shops.

Surveys really:confused: airport authorities should be ashamed letting these scumbags loose in the airport BAN THEM:mad:

Ecky Thump
20-04-2014, 09:56

:idea:Maybe that's the attraction of flying from Prestwick as the airport always looks deserted and it's not worth their while canvassing there!:)

TOTO 99
20-04-2014, 09:59
:idea:Maybe that's the attraction of flying from Prestwick as the airport always looks deserted and it's not worth their while canvassing there!:)

So nothing to do with the locals being too tight then?..:laugh:

Ecky Thump
20-04-2014, 10:04
So nothing to do with the locals being too tight then?..:laugh:

Nothing at all with that, it's all to do with Ryanair's one bag policy, we can't carry more than one bag and our Sporrans are where we carry our money are classed as a bag!:raspberry2::laugh:

TOTO 99
20-04-2014, 10:08
Nothing at all with that, it's all to do with Ryanair's one bag policy, we can't carry more than one bag and our Sporrans are where we carry our money are classed as a bag!:raspberry2::laugh:

I'd like to what shows up on the x-ray when they put that through...:laugh:

Ecky Thump
20-04-2014, 10:17
I'd like to what shows up on the x-ray when they put that through...:laugh:

What's kept in a mans Sporran is kept strictly between himself and his hand!:crylaughing:

timmylish
21-04-2014, 01:05

Who on earth has rattled your cage? Must say I think your vernacular is a bit uncalled for!

Angusjim
21-04-2014, 06:52
Who on earth has rattled your cage? Must say I think your vernacular is a bit uncalled for!
Strangely enough I could not give a flying fig what you think

TOTO 99
21-04-2014, 08:30
Lol...you jocks..:laugh:

Back on topic;

I filled in a form for a Spanish guy when I was sat around waiting for my flight recently

I'd already let the Silverpoint lady know I wasn't interested in "TIMESHARE" when she collared us in the queue for check-in. I was civil but in a voice loud enough that the people around me knew what was going on.

Anyway, back to the Spanish guy and his form. He was from the tourism people and his form was about 4 pages but didn't require any personal information such as email, phone numbers or even your name. It was more about how you got there and why and how long you had stayed etc.

I have absolutely no problem with that and I filled it in, in the hope that it helps their research.

I'm sure the guy must get abused because of the Silverpoint people which is a shame really. Hopefully people will take the time to see what they are dealing with before they dismiss it.

As for Silverpoint, if they didn't use stealth to catch people out they'd probably have a better reputation. They know full well that if they had "timeshare" on their badge & paperwork nobody would give them the time of day...:tiphat:

Ecky Thump
21-04-2014, 08:50
Lol...you JOCKS..:laugh:

I have absolutely no problem with that AND I FILLED IT"

Ah now that you have used the word "JOCK" you have set us on to another discussion which may need moving to another thread. which of course is the Scottish "jOCK STRAP" a word that I think is unusual for a English man to use, as generally their appendixes are quite small, but I note with surprise that you claim to have filled it!:whistle:

TOTO 99
21-04-2014, 08:58
Ah now that you have used the word "JOCK" you have set us on to another discussion which may need moving to another thread. which of course is the Scottish "jOCK STRAP" a word that I think is unusual for a English man to use, as generally their appendixes are quite small, but I note with surprise that you claim to have filled it!:whistle:

I never said it was mine that I filled did I?

It belonged to my missus...:laugh:

Ecky Thump
21-04-2014, 09:08

I have absolutely no problem with that and I FILLED in the hope that it helps their research.

.:tiphat:

I never said it was mine that I filled did I?

It belonged to my missus...:laugh:

Ah, re-reading your post, I see my mistake.

You filled it, in the name of research....I must say that is quite a daring thing to do for your "missus" in the middle of a airport, I'm surprised that the authorities did not step in to stop your activity.:crylaughing:

TOTO 99
21-04-2014, 09:10
Ah, re-reading your post, I see my mistake.

You filled it, in the name of research....I must say that is quite a daring thing to do for your "missus" in the middle of a airport, I'm surprised that the authorities did not step in to stop your activity.:crylaughing:

I was too quick for them...:laugh:

marbro8
21-04-2014, 10:52

Back on topic;

I filled in a form for a Spanish guy when I was sat around waiting for my flight recently

I'd already let the Silverpoint lady know I wasn't interested in "TIMESHARE" when she collared us in the queue for check-in. I was civil but in a voice loud enough that the people around me knew what was going on.

Anyway, back to the Spanish guy and his form. He was from the tourism people and his form was about 4 pages but didn't require any personal information such as email, phone numbers or even your name. It was more about how you got there and why and how long you had stayed etc.

I have absolutely no problem with that and I filled it in, in the hope that it helps their research.

I'm sure the guy must get abused because of the Silverpoint people which is a shame really. Hopefully people will take the time to see what they are dealing with before they dismiss it.

As for Silverpoint, if they didn't use stealth to catch people out they'd probably have a better reputation. They know full well that if they had "timeshare" on their badge & paperwork nobody would give them the time of day...:tiphat: hang the lot of em:laugh::wink:

Ecky Thump
21-04-2014, 11:51
I was too quick for them...:laugh:

That's just what your wife said....far to quick!:whistle:

timmylish
21-04-2014, 23:15
I would love to know their success rate in getting bodies here on a "free" weeks holiday as a result of this method of marketing.

marbro8
21-04-2014, 23:38
I would love to know their success rate in getting bodies here on a "free" weeks holiday as a result of this method of marketing.after being confronted by them a couple years ago i declined because of the info we got off here, they did however get info from us while boarding in birmingham before we got the info off here:mad:, my wife was so free and easy it was unbelievable:mad:, they constantly phoned us with offers of FREE hols as long as we attended their talks:nono:, i am sorry BUT if you are on holiday for a week then any time attending one of these seminars is a waste of a day of your holiday:mad:

Belinda
03-05-2014, 22:12
You can take a second bag as hand luggage on Ryanair flights now. Not sure if that is completely all flights but certainly that's on their website and OH came with Ryanair from Manchester to Tenerife only last week and it was fine. The second bag dimensions are 35 x 20 x 20cm.

essexeddie
05-05-2014, 16:18
You can take a second bag as hand luggage on Ryanair flights now. Not sure if that is completely all flights but certainly that's on their website and OH came with Ryanair from Manchester to Tenerife only last week and it was fine. The second bag dimensions are 35 x 20 x 20cm.

Oooops! is this in the right thread? if not its a bit off topic.

Belinda
05-05-2014, 17:39
Nope, it's on the wrong thread along with the quote from Ecky Thump - no idea how it's migrated across!

marbro8
22-05-2015, 13:54
Just when you thought it was safe to go back into the water:laugh:timeshare touts are back, it's been a while since have encountered them but we were stopped by the market in Los cris the other day with what looked like large official badges. And again by the Los cris bus stop by 3 guys that just looked like they had scratch cards:)

Tenerife Babe
23-05-2015, 22:29
Me and my friend were caught out by this lot at the airport last year and we both received calls from them once back home but thank goodness we had already booked for this year so told them that and they went away.

essexeddie
23-05-2015, 22:42
They are always at the airport. Don't know how they get on the 'Air side'. Palms must be greased.