PDA

View Full Version : Will I be able to find a job as a school caterer in Tenerife?

jodyf119
05-03-2013, 09:58
Hi, me my kids and partner are moving to tenerife in august this year, we have everything sorted but I was wondering if any one knew about school catering jobs? I am looking for a term time school hours job hopefully in school catering. I have crb, health and hygene cert and nvq2 in cooking and food processing...have many years experience in the job. Also if there are school catering companies do they pay cumalative pay like in england? Any company names email addresses or known vacancies would be fab thank you x

bonitatime
05-03-2013, 12:06
Do you speak Spanish s to work within their system it is really a requirement.

universal
05-03-2013, 13:53
Without wishing to sound negative - not very likely.
Posibility of other positions in catering... pub/restaurant etc.

Suzanne
05-03-2013, 16:24
I dont think there are many schools that do meals. One or two of the private schools might, but I think you may need to speak Spanish. Good Luck anyway.

fonica
05-03-2013, 23:17
From which planet are you moving to Tenerife.Sorry to sound harsh but times are hard here.No work,no equal pay in line with UK.you will need to have 5,000 Euros in the bank for each family member before you can become resident,you will also need private health insurance for each family member.If you don't speak Spanish you will struggle with schools etc.,and have to pay translators to go everywhere with you (doctors,police etc.)It wasn't easy in the good times but now with 30+% unemployment among the locals and even worse amongst the expats you will need to be financially independent and not need to work to survive here.There isn't a safety net of Social security here and many Spanish people no longer have and benifits at all and are only entitled to emergency medical care.Please think very,very carefully about this move.Hundreds if not thousands of Brits have left the island in recent years because they couldn't survive and they all came here with dreams of life in the sun.

slodgedad
06-03-2013, 00:02
I don't think that kind of job exists here.

Muppet
06-03-2013, 00:16
Interesting to note the OP has not returned, but in any event, Fonica ia spot on.

But, what is it with people with jobs and more importantly young children want to come to a country with 34% unemployment, no benefit system as such and absolutely no future for their offspring. Talk about child abuse ............

Medanoman
06-03-2013, 11:23
My local schools here in El Medano provide school meals. But in the current climate no one is going to employ a foreigner (who cannot speak Spanish ) with foreign qualifications that won't be recognized here, at least not without a fight to drive you around the bend. That sort of job is acquired here through "Manga", or not what you know but who you know, so that puts you at a disadvantage straight away.

There are free school meals available here, at least in theory, based on what you earn't in 2007 or when ever it was that everyone had a job. Incredible that they judge your circumstances based on out of date information and there is nothing you can do about it. Even stranger is the idea that if you are unemployed you no longer need to give your child school meals. They seem to forget that to be able to be available to work one has to have your child suitably occupied. Grants for books are available too...but this year the grant was not paid until almost 6 months into the school year, pupils stared out of windows for the most part till they arrived.

Unless you are a millionaire or have an income coming in from elsewhere, this is not the place to bring up kids. They will have a hard enough time learning the language without them seeing their parents struggle to find a job as a dinner lady. I agree with last poster its child abuse.

If you have a trust fund in the uk supporting you and your family then please come over. Tenerife is a wonderful place where the fags and beer are cheap and you can take your kids into the bars with you at night so don't let childcare worry you. Your disposable income is desperately needed by the local populace to enhance our local economy.

Forgive the harshness of this post, but its in response to a naivety beyond normal limits. :devil2:

jodyf119
07-03-2013, 08:40
Wow so negative, child abuse? I'm moving to give my kids a better life. Me and my partner both have jobs to come over to thanks but I was looking for catering in schools because its what I enjoy....I don't take my kids out to pubs at night I am not a irresponsible parent and we aren't comin over with empty banks...nice to see people judging me when you don't even know me. Being bilingual is an amazing opportunity for my children and they are learning the language as am I before we come over. I'm am moving to be with my mum as have no family in this country who gives a damn inc the kids dad. I have done lots of research and homework I am not stupid! It was a general enquiry and all I get is abuse? Just hope I won't be living anywhere near u lot...saying its child abuse is just rude and very insulting obv ur not very happy people but this move is In the interest of my family as england is a lot worse, atleast there is more free local stuff my kids can do to save money unlike this rip off cold ever expensive country. Thankks for the non help atleast mum was right about not making friends there only people she knows that have helped are work collegeus and ex pats themselves! Ta very much but I'm still moving and not just for the bloody sun!

9PLUS
07-03-2013, 09:28
They only wanted to help jodyf119 with a bit of reality.

9PLUS
07-03-2013, 09:52
I'm with andyfm on this.

fonica
07-03-2013, 10:23
I'm with Andy too,your original post didn't give any of that information and you will find it much harder than you expected to make a life here.I'm delighted that you are so prepared but believe me, hundreds of people arrive every year with children and don't even realize that there aren't any free British schools for them.I spend a lot of time sorting out problems for these families who return to UK to be homeless and penniless.We do sound harsh on the forum sometimes but we need people to think about what they are doing and not just follow a dream.Just last night I had a phone call asking me about housing benifits from a family who can't pay their rent.There a thousands of Spanish families who don't have any money at all coming into the house and there isn't any help for them( well the Spanish Asistancia will take their children off them and put them into care) so I suppose that's a help.Your judgement of people who took time to give you advice is harsh and you will realize in time that the advice was good even if you make a go of life here.I wish you the very best in your new life.

9PLUS
07-03-2013, 10:51
"Living the Dream" is a incubus & fantasy reality conjured up by people that sell you things you don't really need.

I mean how cool are you if you drink Coca-Cola ?

Malteser Monkey
07-03-2013, 11:26
I mean how cool are you if you drink Coca-Cola ?

Depends on whether there's ice innit or not .........dear:cheeky:

LUCKY
07-03-2013, 15:19
Depends on whether there's ice innit or not .........dear:cheeky:
:feret:
And summat else knowing you :feret:
:devil2:

Malteser Monkey
07-03-2013, 15:24
:feret:
And summat else knowing you :feret:
:devil2:

Can't you lot stay on topic and stop tarnishing my name:cheeky::cheers2::wine::drunk2:

KirstyJay
07-03-2013, 16:48
To reply to the original question from jodyf119, jobs working in school canteens are contracted by the Consejería de Educación (the Spanish Education Authority) and are, in fact, contracted in a similar way to how they contract teachers - i.e. you apply, you are put on a long waiting list, and if a position comes up you are offered it. The position could be anywhere in Tenerife, so you could find yourself being offered a job in a school up to 1h 30 mins drive away, and if you refuse the position you are bumped bock down to the bottom of the list. The waiting list is long. I have known people waiting years on this list.

Also, you will need fluent Spanish and to homologate all your food hygiene certificates etc if possible, or if not, retake them all in Spanish.

Hope that helps :)

Medanoman
07-03-2013, 17:28
Good for you if you really have done your homework. but bringing the kids here to learn a language is a noble idea, but falls down when you are bringing them to a place where to work or study to any degree will mean they will be forced to leave the island or move abroad/ back home. Current unemployment for the young here is 60%. We don't mean to be mean to you.. Its just that as residents not a week goes by on the forum without someone saying they want to leave the chip shop they work in to relocate here.

You have to be cruel to be kind..just read the horror stories on here, forewarned is forearmed, even if our prose are written a little tongue in cheek we wish you only well in your endeavors.

jodyf119
07-03-2013, 19:59
I appreciate all the advice guys and I was very vague in the 'got everything sorted' bit in original post. I have done a great deal research into the move..schools jobs etc etc I would never relocate blind as it is a huge thing esp for the kids. My eldest (8) really wants this mainly because nanny lives there but also because he is happier and begged to go to spanish school lol I did explain to him he will have to learn a good deal of spanish before we go and it will be difficult for a fair few months but he understands that and is willing to learn, he loves school and learning new things luckily. My original thread was just enquiring about school catering, I didnant to go inro muchdetail as didn't think I'd need to for a general enquiry but after the child abuse comment I was shocked to say the least! Obv with my mum over there I know how she struggled and I know its not going to be plain sailing but it isn't here either atleast I'm not a foreigner comin over to sponge off government like people do in england Iooking forward to a new challenging chapter in my life and when my kids are old enough its up to them where they choose to live and work atleast they will have half a chance growing up on the island immersed in the culture and that will stay with them for life even if they live in antartica when they are older lol its life experience and believe me I've done LOTS of research I'd be a fool not to.life isn't easy anywhere you live but just having my mum back who turned her life around by moving is part of my happiness complete. Thank you for the school catering info its something I can look to once we are completely settled and both been working for a while and learning more of the language. Sorry for earlier rant was just hurt and very angry by the child abuse comments but appreciate genuine helpful constructive comments that's why I'm on here :)

9PLUS
07-03-2013, 20:20
That's better welcome to the community.

golf birdie
07-03-2013, 20:24
I'd say your kids will love it up to the day they need to start earning a living for themselves. The work is just not here so if you really are doing it for the kids best interest you really need to think again. There are 100's times more opportunities for kids in the UK.

jodyf119
07-03-2013, 20:38
I'm not coming over with delusions of grandure, sipping sangria on the beach all day I know its not reality only someone with millions could do that,tho I am trying to win the lotto lol me and my partner will work and the kids will go to school the only difference in our lives will be better weather and having close family in our lives which we don't have here...and hopefully a coffee on the balcony (if I have one) rather than under a blanket with heating on lol my kids can choose where they want to work and live when they are older its their perogative but bilingual and a happy close family is paramount at such young ages there is nothing here that is so important right now that warrants staying. Its all trial and error and if you don't atleast try you will never know, its experience life experience and if it doesn't work out after a few years or they aren't happy then we will reconsider, ok expensive but sometimes you have to make a change and maybe take a risk it could be the best thing or the worst but going by my mums experience it was hard at first but she would never wish that should took that chance and left her grandkids behind because it was all for the best are so now we are going to join her..just have to get my sister over after lol thanks for all the advice guys but I am a firm believer in trying everything once and you have to experience it you can't just go on what others say all the time or you'd get no where in life although all advice is duely noted and take on board! More research on school holiday clubs atm so will be back after I've filled another few pages in my book :) x

melm
07-03-2013, 20:54
Nothing ventured nothing gained...........you seem to have your eyes wide open in this venture and i wish you luck.:pray:

casabonny
07-03-2013, 21:57
It seems that you have done exactly what we didi before moving here , lots of research,learning Spanish and making all necessary arrangements so far as possible. Our difference was we already owned property here so had that sorted but had no relatives to rely on here , but we didn't in the UK either. My daughter was nine when we came over fifteen years ago and , although we have had problems,not money wise , they have in the main been caused by jealous people and not locals.
Ad far as jobs go yes it's hard but you can make your own business if you have the skills and experience. My daughter speaks fluent Spanish, reasonable German and some Russian and works with my husband in their business ,she does all the admin,works also as a translator and has her own Insurance agency so there are opportunities for your children if you are prepared to take a risk, of course it will not always work out . Some people fail because they are not informed or just Try something new with absolutely no idea of what to expect and are really out of their depth, others fail because its very easy to slip into the holiday syndrome of drinking and eating and little else. Many others however succeed because they work hard,take risk when necessary ,are good at what they do and live as a local and call Tenerife home, after all if you move here permanently it is home and the UK is just that the UK or where you may go on holidays!
Many will not like what I say but it's my opinion and based on our experience.
I wish you luck and hope all works out well for you .

Red
08-03-2013, 01:07
By the the time OP's children are old enough to work, Tenerife could be back booming! Go for it! What's the worse can happen? You end up skint and back in the UK. My only advice would be, if you have a property in the UK, keep it and rent it out. With the current interest rates, you'll cover your mortgage and probably have a little left over for maintenance etc.

KirstyJay
08-03-2013, 09:14
You have to admit, if you have young kids its much nicer for them to grow up here then in the UK, but when they get older they currently don't have a lot of opportunities.

I understand you wanting to be near grandma though... I keep trying to persuade my mum to come out too ;)

jodyf119
08-03-2013, 10:02
It seems that you have done exactly what we didi before moving here , lots of research,learning Spanish and making all necessary arrangements so far as possible. Our difference was we already owned property here so had that sorted but had no relatives to rely on here , but we didn't in the UK either. My daughter was nine when we came over fifteen years ago and , although we have had problems,not money wise , they have in the main been caused by jealous people and not locals.
Ad far as jobs go yes it's hard but you can make your own business if you have the skills and experience. My daughter speaks fluent Spanish, reasonable German and some Russian and works with my husband in their business ,she does all the admin,works also as a translator and has her own Insurance agency so there are opportunities for your children if you are prepared to take a risk, of course it will not always work out . Some people fail because they are not informed or just Try something new with absolutely no idea of what to expect and are really out of their depth, others fail because its very easy to slip into the holiday syndrome of drinking and eating and little else. Many others however succeed because they work hard,take risk when necessary ,are good at what they do and live as a local and call Tenerife home, after all if you move here permanently it is home and the UK is just that the UK or where you may go on holidays!
Many will not like what I say but it's my opinion and based on our experience.
I wish you luck and hope all works out well for you .

Did your daughter speak any of those lanuages before you moved there? Sounds like you did very well fair play to you its inspirational to hear. I cannot wait to look forward to g up in the morn and going to work knowing my kids will come home from school and not be bored and stuck in the house. Mum and I are planning on eventually stour own business after I've been there a while and we have a llot more savings behing us but that's in the future and one I can't wait for but it will be long and hard at times but well worth it! Which school did your daughter go to? I've heard bad reviews of wingate but everyone of mums friends kids either go or went to los olivios and say its brilliant?!

Pooh
08-03-2013, 10:57
If you really have jobs lined up - and they really are what's promised - then I see no problem coming here. Many of the first comments in this thread came from lack of information about your actual situation and, I think, what was perceived as lack of understanding of the situation here in Tenerife, based on what was asked.
But if you really have secured an income, and that isn't just promises of jobs that won't really exist when you come here, or turn out to be something else than you think they are, then go for it, especially if you have savings to keep you 1-2 years even without work.
We came here 2 years ago with our (then) 2-year old. We would never have come unless we had a secure income - in my case a business I run via internet, and have lived on for many years. The good thing about that, is that I can run it from anywhere.
We don't worry about the future of our now 4-year old son. He will know 4 languages, since we speak 2 different languages at home, neither of them English or Spanish, and he attends a British school, and lives in Spain.
The day he finish school - and who knows which university he will attend, or in which country - no one knows what the world looks like, or what he will want to do. It's almost 15 years before he has to choose university, and 20 before he will start looking for work. No one can predict that far in the future, and we just hope he will enjoy his childhood.

casabonny
08-03-2013, 13:40
Personally I would avoid Wingate , my daughter went there for one term , hated it as did we, nothing was as had been stated so she was sent to Costa Adeje school in Fanabe. before we came she spoke some Spanish but within two/ three months of being in Costa Adeje she was fluent. As this is a German / Spanish school German was taught to quite a high level, she has learnt Russian in recent years as there are many on the island it pays to speak at least something of the most used languages.
I have not had any personal experience of Los Olivos but have heard very good reports about it and I have friends who have children who are in Wingate and are quite happy although the level of theSpanish is terrible considering what Wingate claims about the teaching of that language. Her boys Spanish has been enhanced greatly as they both play football for local Spanish teams.

As I understand it now though you have to be in the catchment area to get a place in the school, although there are of course exceptions to the rules here as everywhere in the world!

jodyf119
09-03-2013, 14:24
Thank you x I've looked into the schools and catchment areas (municipality) we will be living in callao salvaje when we move over so in the adeje area. Aah my eldest would love to join a football team and its another area where he will be immursed in the language! I've got all the email addresses etc of the school in the adeje and arona area, well just the ceip ones for now. Is it true that the kids can start from the age of around 3 but not compulsory til 4, but once they marticulate they have to stay in school as kids do from around 4 here anyway.?

KirstyJay
09-03-2013, 18:14
Yes, children can start from 3 years old, however it's not actually compulsory until 5.

bonitatime
11-03-2013, 07:36
Football schools near you would be Armeñime, Adeje, Chenet (also in Armeñime and Fañabe