PDA

View Full Version : Property What is the planning process for building in Tenerife?

gsc
06-03-2013, 10:40
Does anyone understand the planning process in Tenerife?

I'm about to take on a new build, a town house. I will be using an architect once the legalities are sorted but I would like to understand how it works.

For example, in the UK you would get outline planning permission, then full planning permission and have visits from building regs and the planners to finally sign off on it. I have done it various different ways but paid as little as £500 for some-one to put my amateur plans into government speak, employed a structural engineer where needed, and oversaw the project myself using builders I could trust and knowing how useful the building regs people can be when you need advice.

Now I understand not everyone wants to work that way and some would employ an architect in the UK from start to finish.

What I want to understand is how things work here. What would the architect be doing to justify the €11,000 quote I have just got?

Basically I want some-one to redraw my plans to suit plus whatever is necessary to get it signed off after the build. Our solicitor will already have obtained the equivalent of provisional planning permission before the architect becomes involved. My understanding is that we (the solicitor and I) can take my own plans to the town hall architect who will quickly tell us whats what.

The question is, what comes in betweenthat and the final sign off as regards any inspections from council, anything the architect may have to sign off on and so on.

universal
06-03-2013, 10:48

NO!

gsc
06-03-2013, 10:50

NO!

Lol I kind of guessed that but I am hoping some-one has actually gone through a build?

9PLUS
06-03-2013, 10:51
What I want to understand is how things work here. What would the architect be doing to justify the €11,000 quote I have just got?

Doesn't it say on your quotation ?

gsc
06-03-2013, 10:56
So far it's just a telephone quote.

But my point is that I want to understand the process a little in so far as he may well be quoting me for things I can do myself, OR, it may be that it's so complicated I have no choice but to pay. Either way I would like to understand more so that I have a basis for discussing the next quote.

It's the first quote I have so early days yet.

9PLUS
06-03-2013, 11:00
You can't do you own plans and deal with them with the townhall.

gsc
06-03-2013, 11:07
You can't do you own plans and deal with them with the townhall.

That's a bit simplistic, but I actually wasn't intending to submit my own plans. I am going with the solicitor and my plans to the town hall next week to discuss and agree things. The next stage is to get the plan drawn up properly and submitted.

What I don't get is what the architect is doing between that point and getting the building finally signed off.

For example, are there official inspection points? Or is it like the electrical system where a qualified electrician would sign off the installation and the Boletin just gets registered?

9PLUS
06-03-2013, 11:11
You'll gain nothing from going to the townhall with your solicitor and your plans, that an architect doesn't already know.

They may smile and say great but it'll means nothing until you submit the finished plans.

gsc
06-03-2013, 11:23
Well I have to trust my solicitor in this. He's local and if he tells me the architect at the town will give us a good idea then that's good enough for me. Of course I understand that nothing is final until the final plans are approved.

Last month a house sold on our street and the buyer was told 3 floors was highly unlikely/would not be permitted. That meant they could renegotiate the price before getting too far down the path.

In my mind it's a sensible approach. Why incur a substantial fee from an architect prior to that, especially if you get a negative response and end up not buying the house/land or whatever.

9PLUS
06-03-2013, 11:29
So you're trying to find out the basic requirements of the build on a certain plot?

It is a stand-alone villa?

gsc
06-03-2013, 11:37
No it's just a simple townhouse, 3 stories approx 100 sq mtr plot.

In theory it should be no problem. There are only 2 plots left in the street, the rest are already built.

But it's not so much specific to this project, it's some thing I feel I need to understand for any future projects. I learned a lot renovating the house we bought last year but this will be my first complete new build.

There is the slight issue of possible refusal as they have not yet decided on the new route to the harbour yet. Highly unlikley it will be an issue for this particular street but it could slow things down while they 'think' about it for the next 5 years. :lol:

9PLUS
06-03-2013, 11:55
I was going to say Parque de la Reina?

But i see you've mentioned a harbor.

3 story townhouse in a nutshell.

Normally you can do exactly what the house next to you has done. (same boundaries)
Make plans,
Present them into the town hall along with other paperwork,
Wait wait wait wait wait,
Once accepted,
Pay 3.5-5% of build cost to town hall,
Architect inspection before starting work,
Architect normally only inspects when there's a concrete pour,
Most architects do as little as possible,
Architect would inspect once the build is finished,
Architect once happy signs off the build,
You pay for the certification cedula habitabilidad in the town hall
Move your furniture in and christening every room can be fun.

gsc
06-03-2013, 12:03
That's brill.

I wonder if they are including the fee to the town hall in it? Just had another verbal quote of €10,000 plus €3,000 (for what he called the surveyor, guessing arquitecto technico?)

So - do we see any government officials at all or is it all down to the architect?

And how do they estimate the build costs? As you know, 1 builder could be twice the price of another. Is there a set formula?

ps We live in Los Abrigos

Just thought of another question:

When is it considered 'finished'? When it's plastered and doors go on etc.? When the fixtures and fitting go in?

9PLUS
06-03-2013, 12:30
I very much doubt they would include the townhall fees into their project (either end)

Because they are contracted by the client.

It's not normaly done like that, they charge for what they have to do.

But once you get your written quotation you'll be the wiser.

Good builder cost - depends what you are building is the finish a €800/M2 or €1600/M2

Finish is considered different in every town hall, but over all the question is " Is this build liveable and safe?"

Outside completely finished
All services finished with certification
Water tight
1 bedroom
1 bathroom
Place to wash,clean and prepare food including a sink
Running water hot & cold

is about the minimum for signing off but the norm is to sign it off once it's completely finished and your architect may only do this once it has been completed.

gsc
06-03-2013, 12:35
Many thanks for that - very useful stuff to know.

I can't for the life of me see what they are doing to justify those sort of figures. Am I missing something?

9PLUS
06-03-2013, 12:40
Many thanks for that - very useful stuff to know.

I can't for the life of me see what they are doing to justify those sort of figures. Am I missing something?

They don't do a great deal in between preparing projects and preparing to sign off, but that's how it works, i've met architects on jobs that are super active in their work and others that sign work off even without seeing what has been done because they trust the build/contractor or simply can't give a monkeys.

I've seen & had quotes for €2500 - €15,000 for the same job and some of the lower priced works were more complete.

universal
06-03-2013, 12:44
You may wish to put this contact on file for when the time comes:
45€ Cédula Habitabilidad
En menos de 24h. su Cédula. ITE. Proyectos y Certificados. 647522949
www.bcnarquitecto.com

Seemed very reasonable to me.

Fivepence
06-03-2013, 13:29

I'm about to take on a new build, a town house. I will be using an architect once the legalities are sorted but I would like to understand how it works.

For example, in the UK you would get outline planning permission, then full planning permission and have visits from building regs and the planners to finally sign off on it. I have done it various different ways but paid as little as £500 for some-one to put my amateur plans into government speak, employed a structural engineer where needed, and oversaw the project myself using builders I could trust and knowing how useful the building regs people can be when you need advice.

Now I understand not everyone wants to work that way and some would employ an architect in the UK from start to finish.

Basically I want some-one to redraw my plans to suit plus whatever is necessary to get it signed off after the build. Our solicitor will already have obtained the equivalent of provisional planning permission before the architect becomes involved. My understanding is that we (the solicitor and I) can take my own plans to the town hall architect who will quickly tell us whats what.

The question is, what comes in betweenthat and the final sign off as regards any inspections from council, anything the architect may have to sign off on and so on.

Try asking forum member @Goldenmaniac (http://www.tenerifeforum.org/tenerife-forum/member.php?222-Goldenmaniac), send her a PM.

Here is the link to her website. http://www.diana-mcglone.com/

9PLUS
06-03-2013, 14:27
town halls aren't the quickest at giving out licenses but they are pretty at giving fines out.

If the fine department ever started to process "anything else" it would be a marvel

gsc
06-03-2013, 14:59
I am already in touch with Diana - we are meeting up early next week.

Just heard we have an appointment with the architect at the town hall tomorrow morning. I have to say I am pretty impressed with the effort our solicitor is making. We only appointed him at 6.30pm yesterday. I suppose that is the last time I will see anything work that fast - lol!

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

They don't do a great deal in between preparing projects and preparing to sign off, but that's how it works, i've met architects on jobs that are super active in their work and others that sign work off even without seeing what has been done because they trust the build/contractor or simply can't give a monkeys.

I've seen & had quotes for €2500 - €15,000 for the same job and some of the lower priced works were more complete.

Any contact numbers for the ones at the bottom end of that scale? :)

9PLUS
06-03-2013, 16:15

The contact number is at the bottom of this post 9 Plus Instalaciones.

You may wish to put this contact on file for when the time comes:
45€ Cédula Habitabilidad
En menos de 24h. su Cédula. ITE. Proyectos y Certificados. 647522949
www.bcnarquitecto.com

Seemed very reasonable to me.

Not bad, they're in Barcelona.

Horsedrawn
15-03-2013, 23:10
Good luck with your project. We are in the process of buying a half built house and need to get planning to complete it. The only fact we know is that the planning runs out after 5 years. We have been given some plans but they look more like a builders version than an architects! I will let you know anything we find out on our next visit.

marbro8
15-03-2013, 23:28
i tell you what:wink2: the advice given by all the guy's on this thread is invaluable, well done 9 plus especially:049: you are up there with the best mate;) no wonder there is a 9 plus fan club:D

9PLUS
16-03-2013, 00:27
Good luck with your project. We are in the process of buying a half built house and need to get planning to complete it. The only fact we know is that the planning runs out after 5 years. We have been given some plans but they look more like a builders version than an architects! I will let you know anything we find out on our next visit.

STOP, take a breather and tread very carefully before you spend ANY money.

This kind of purchase should be done with consultation.

Whats built?

duende
16-03-2013, 02:26

Just sent you a PM.

9PLUS
16-03-2013, 08:22
Just sent you a PM.

Is it a secret?

bulldog
16-03-2013, 11:46
That's brill.

I wonder if they are including the fee to the town hall in it? Just had another verbal quote of €10,000 plus €3,000 (for what he called the surveyor, guessing arquitecto technico?)

So - do we see any government officials at all or is it all down to the architect?

And how do they estimate the build costs? As you know, 1 builder could be twice the price of another. Is there a set formula?

ps We live in Los Abrigos

Just thought of another question:

When is it considered 'finished'? When it's plastered and doors go on etc.? When the fixtures and fitting go in?
you do not need a solicitor untill you make an escritura you need an architect and an aprejador the plot will need
a geological report and before the build starts you will need a quality control company on board fees are set by
the college of architects and are a percent of the build costs I am a retired builder and have built several villas
here in Tenerife over 27 years as a resident my advice don,t waste money on an solicitor get a good architect!!

9PLUS
16-03-2013, 12:07
^ Told ya.........

duende
16-03-2013, 13:04
Is it a secret?

It was the phone number of an excellent bi-lingual architect whose fees are very reasonable.

you do not need a solicitor untill you make an escritura you need an architect and an aprejador the plot will need
a geological report and before the build starts you will need a quality control company on board fees are set by
the college of architects and are a percent of the build costs I am a retired builder and have built several villas
here in Tenerife over 27 years as a resident my advice don,t waste money on an solicitor get a good architect!!

Smart man.

gsc
26-03-2013, 17:23
Waiting for 1 more quote then I'll tell you how it ended up. :)

9PLUS
27-03-2013, 00:33
Tell us how you're getting on so far, step by step

Goldenmaniac
27-03-2013, 08:12
This is in Spanish but you might be able to Google http://blog.planreforma.com/%C2%BFcuanto-cuesta-construir-la-casa-de-tus-suenos/ its part of a price comparison site

9PLUS
27-03-2013, 08:54
€600 - €700 is about right for the most basic of finishes.

Normally these style of price comparison sites are well off and normally in both directions.

Angusjim
27-03-2013, 09:51

NO!

Find correct person big brown envelope job done :wink:

Horsedrawn
04-04-2013, 11:56
We bought the house this week and moved in. The ground floor is already self contained and ready to holiday in. The first floor and roof terrace need to be finished. An architect came to look at it and will be giving us advice on costs. For our next visit we just need to buy a big paddling pool to cool off in the back garden! Back in the UK now, still REALLY cold.

STOP, take a breather and tread very carefully before you spend ANY money.

This kind of purchase should be done with consultation.

Whats built? just realised I should reply with a quote to make sense. My previous post relates to this quote.