PDA

View Full Version : UK and Spanish authorities join forces to share information on UK benefit fraudsters

UkinSpain
06-03-2013, 15:59
The British and Spanish authorities have joined forces in the fight to bring benefit fraudsters to justice through new information sharing arrangements.

The UK government is committed to clamp down on fraudsters who cheat the system to obtain taxpayers’ money that should be going to people needier than themselves.

Sharing information, such as deaths of British nationals in Spain, helps the UK to ensure that the pensions and benefits of deceased expatriates are stopped as soon as possible, to avoid large overpayments to benefit recipients that then need to be paid back.

The sharing of information also helps to identify fraudsters who deliberately fail to report the death of a family member to the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) in order to continue fraudulently receiving the pension or benefit.

One such case involved Michael Higgs and Nancy Rutter who together stole more than £39,000 from the public purse by continuing to draw the benefits of a deceased family member. Data matching between the UK and Spain revealed that Higgs’ father had died in Spain in 2005 yet the couple, who were living in Malaga, had failed to notify the DWP of the death.

Thinking they would never be caught, they continued to fraudulently claim the father’s benefit. After being found guilty of fraud, and as well as having to pay back the money they had stolen, Higgs was given 18 months in prison and Rutter received two sentences of 30 months and 18 months to run concurrently.

A criminal record can easily be avoided by keeping the DWP informed of any change in personal circumstances, including the death of a family member who is in receipt of a pension or benefit. Failing to do so can lead to hefty overpayments that will have to be paid back, and even a prison sentence.

For further details on how you can report someone you suspect of committing benefit fraud, visit www.dwp.gov.uk/benefit-thieves-spain/ or call the DWP’s free and confidential benefit fraud hotline in Spain on 900 55 444 0. The UK and Spain are working together to tackle benefit fraudsters.

UKinSpain

Javi
06-03-2013, 19:52
Very glad to hear that our governments are finally working together against those who think are more clever that none else.

TF1
06-03-2013, 20:31
Very glad to hear that our governments are finally working together against those who think are more clever that none else.

Pity the government doesn't consider resolving it's own fraud. 38 million found so far but the PP are still the authentic untouchables.

marbro8
06-03-2013, 20:55
i think they are also trying to stop tourists taking to many ciggs back to the uk as well, i and my mate where stopped on separate occasions for having 6 sleeves in our hand luggage??? they wanted to take them off us at tenerife airport, i always put them in hand luggage because they x-ray your cases when they get back to the uk, but it has never been a problem with spanish security untill now? at the end of the day i know it is wrong for taking more than you should but they are brought on the island so fueling the tenerife economy so why the concern now?

Javi
07-03-2013, 17:29
Pity the government doesn't consider resolving it's own fraud. 38 million found so far but the PP are still the authentic untouchables.

You're right but that is another different story which would deserve be disscused in another thread. As far as I know the whole thing's being investigated.

Fivepence
07-03-2013, 17:35
You're right but that is another different story which would deserve be disscused in another thread. As far as I know the whole thing's being investigated.

:agree: Javi but even without the fraud and corruption both our governments waste money on crazy schemes.

This is because it isn't their money and they can always milk the cash cow (the people) for more. :mad:

TF1
07-03-2013, 18:18
It's about "leading by example", Javi.
What motivation does the man on the street have to abide by all the rules whilst the politicians just take whatever they like and seem to get away with it? (as of yet, only Bárcenas is being investigated, the rest of the PP seem to have squirmed out of justice again).

Javi
07-03-2013, 18:21
:agree: Javi but even without the fraud and corruption both our governments waste money on crazy schemes.

This is because it isn't their money and they can always milk the cash cow (the people) for more. :mad:

Thanks for posting. I agree, they always have a plan B...

What crazy schemes are you talking about?

Fivepence
07-03-2013, 18:34
Thanks for posting. I agree, they always have a plan B...

What crazy schemes are you talking about?

Well for example, in the UK they wasted billions on computer systems that didn't work and in Spain lots of Euros have been spent an airport that has never been used.

They are lots more but these spring to mind without using our friend Mr Google. :tiphat:

Javi
07-03-2013, 18:35
It's about "leading by example", Javi.
What motivation does the man on the street have to abide by all the rules whilst the politicians just take whatever they like and seem to get away with it? (as of yet, only Bárcenas is being investigated, the rest of the PP seem to have squirmed out of justice again).

Leading by example...this is what I try so hard, every single day, with my children. I can see your point clearly, but let's try to look at this issue upside down. Would it be better if we were as Mr. Barcenas?

I think is time to think out of the box, being realistic and leading by example but this time the population must lead with solid ethical and moral principles.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Well for example, in the UK they wasted billions on computer systems that didn't work and in Spain lots of Euros have been spent an airport that has never been used.

They are lots more but these spring to mind without using our friend Mr Google. :tiphat:

Spanish infrastructures...you got me there. Those airports, railway stations, motorways...were promoted mainly by mayors (PP, PSOE, CIU, etc) in small villages and at that time the inhabitants clapped those crazy and disproportionate ideas. People need to be reeducated. If someone show you a stick with a carrot then it's up to you go for it or leave it. Too many people go for the carrot and now everybody, even those who could see the bigger picture and didn't go, have to pay.

TF1
07-03-2013, 18:56
Leading by example...this is what I try so hard, every single day, with my children. I can see your point clearly, but let's try to look at this issue upside down. Would it be better if we were as Mr. Barcenas?

I think is time to think out of the box, being realistic and leading by example but this time the population must lead with solid ethical and moral principles.

Javi, if the Spanish population tried to show the government a good example and pay all of the taxes due, that government would not follow the example. They would just have more available funds to steal and line their Swiss bank accounts. I commend your positive attitude, but we live in a very harsh and unfair world.
I'm not condoning anyone not paying their taxes, but every time I look at my bank account statement and see almost 300€ social security taken out of it, whilst listening to the news about Bárcenas, Mato and the Gürtel and Nóos cases, I wonder why I am doing it.

Javi
08-03-2013, 17:01
Javi, if the Spanish population tried to show the government a good example and pay all of the taxes due, that government would not follow the example. They would just have more available funds to steal and line their Swiss bank accounts. I commend your positive attitude, but we live in a very harsh and unfair world.
I'm not condoning anyone not paying their taxes, but every time I look at my bank account statement and see almost 300€ social security taken out of it, whilst listening to the news about Bárcenas, Mato and the Gürtel and Nóos cases, I wonder why I am doing it.

Again, I partly agree with you. The cases you are mentioning are actually in courts right now. Judges are working hard on these extremely complex matters so let them work and see what happen. I think they are a good mirror to look at. In the mean time we as citizens must comply with our duties. Another alternative is try to change this unfair system - let's call it capitalism -...impossible mission.

Let's face the reality - don't get me wrong because I am not resigning myself -. I wonder what the outcome would be if we all were corrupt.

I know you know that your 300€/months have also useful purposes, not only for you and your family but for many others as well.

Those people you mentioned " have earned" such amount of money by running illegal businesses not by taking money away from public funds. In other words, they are miserable but they are not the fathers of the crisis, bankers were instead and bad politic decisions were extremely helpful alike.

sam1111111
13-03-2013, 03:36
this is what i like to hear