PDA

View Full Version : Cars & Transport What is the legal standing on taking a car from Tenerife to the UK with No Tax or MOT

Heffalumpy
07-03-2013, 12:23
I have a friend who wants to take a car back to the UK, but the Tax and MOT have expired, do not know by how long, but will ask if important.

He plans to have the car re MOTīd and taxed when he gets back.

But how does he stand legally in driving it back?

He has insurance for it, so I believe.

Thanks in advance.

universal
07-03-2013, 12:25
To be road legal anywhere in Europe the vehicle needs to be legal in its country of origin.
Without M.O.T. and road tax the insurance is also invalid.

Heffalumpy
07-03-2013, 14:00
To be road legal anywhere in Europe the vehicle needs to be legal in its country of origin.
Without M.O.T. and road tax the insurance is also invalid.

SO the question next must be how does he get this done to take car back?

I assume the ITV will not pass it?!

If is this a catch 22, will he have to abandon the car here?!

Or can he just take a chance and drive back fingers crossed!?
If does and gets stopped assume its an instant fine, which will cost thousands!!

Any ideas anyone please.

Muppet
07-03-2013, 15:30
Well, in theory, having the car matriculated, then ITV'd and taxed here would fulfill the requirement of it being legal in it's home country which of course would become the Canaries rather than the UK.

The only other option would be to have the car shipped back to the UK and once it arrives there it could go to a garage and be tested and then taxed.

Bottom line though is that insurance would be useless if it is not legally registered and tested somewhere in Europe.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

If does and gets stopped assume its an instant fine, which will cost thousands!!

Any ideas anyone please.

It's not how you get to pay any fines or cover the cost of an accident if he "risks it" - what if he kills someone with it ???????????

Vortex Wake
07-03-2013, 15:36

Any ideas anyone please.

If he has an accident and 'totals' someone nice new car or knocks someone over , then.it will cost him far more that an 'instant fine'.

No-brainer really .

LUCKY
07-03-2013, 15:37
:feret:This from the DVLA website:

Driving an untaxed vehicle to an MOT test

You can drive your vehicle to and from a pre-arranged test at an MOT test station as long as you have adequate insurance cover in place for the use of that vehicle.

This is also for vehicles being driven to and from a pre-arranged test at a Vehicle Inspection Check (VIC) test station, an approved weight testing station and reduced pollution test:feret:

9PLUS
07-03-2013, 15:49
Cool if he gets stop in Los Abrigos just say i'm on my way to Yorkshire to get it MOTed

LUCKY
07-03-2013, 19:36
:feret:

Cool if he gets stop in Los Abrigos just say i'm on my way to Yorkshire to get it MOTed
:feret: No silly, Print my post and put it in the windscreen of the vehicle,Fuel up and set off to Yorkshire, I will PM the dodgy garages address in Yorkshire for instant pass of MOT !!!!! :feret:

9PLUS
07-03-2013, 19:47
I read it on the forum.

LUCKY
07-03-2013, 20:27
:feret:
I read it on the forum.:feret:
:feret:So therefore it must be true :feret:

9PLUS
07-03-2013, 20:48
**** yeah!

Ashro Autos
07-03-2013, 23:27
Way i see it is that at the moment he is not legal for road use anyway as he has no mot so insurance is void.

Have looked into this before and the only legal way to get a car back is to have it shipped.This does cause problems for lots of people that come here on long holidays and the mot runs out whilst here,if you bring a car here with only a couple of months mot on it and you know you are going to be here after test runs out why not get it done for 12 months before you come ?

Police are really clamping down on foreign plated cars at the minute as there have been a few accidents involving foreign cars and found to have no insurance.Just another easy target for the boys in green.How would you feel if your child or a member of your family got killed by 1 of these drivers ?

carpenter
07-03-2013, 23:53
Way i see it is that at the moment he is not legal for road use anyway as he has no mot so insurance is void.

Have looked into this before and the only legal way to get a car back is to have it shipped.This does cause problems for lots of people that come here on long holidays and the mot runs out whilst here,if you bring a car here with only a couple of months mot on it and you know you are going to be here after test runs out why not get it done for 12 months before you come ?

Police are really clamping down on foreign plated cars at the minute as there have been a few accidents involving foreign cars and found to have no insurance.Just another easy target for the boys in green.How would you feel if your child or a member of your family got killed by 1 of these drivers ?

That was a happy summary mark ;)
I think the true point of this thread (maybe I'm wrong) is what can I get away with?

I drove a racist car back to the UK in January. The reason I call it racist is because if you buy a car in the UK from new then you have MPH and KMPH on the odometer but my racist car only had KMPH on the dial so I have to fork out a tidy little sum to get the speedo changed along with the headlights and fog light to get it converted onto British plates.
What can you get away with???? If it's a British car on British plates then you can't drive it off the ferry port legally without Tax,Insurance or MOT you can though get it picked up by a tow truck before you touch taxable land.
If you are abroad you can carry on carefree but if you have an accident or need to make a claim or need your insurance company's backup then forget it. It's unlikely you'll get stopped but like Mr Ashro said if you were to cause a serious accident or be the victim of one you will not be covered so what's the point? If you can't afford to have a legal car on the road then catch the bloody bus!

Heffalumpy
08-03-2013, 09:56
That was a happy summary mark ;)
I think the true point of this thread (maybe I'm wrong) is what can I get away with?

Yes you are wrong.

He has not driven the car since the tax and MOT expired, he has a legal car to drive here.

The plan was to have it all re matriculated here, BUT his wife wants the car back in the UK, he just wanted to drive the car back.

He will now be shipping it to the UK.

Thanks for all your advice

Close Thread admin please