PDA

View Full Version : Other Is there something wrong with the Metropolitan area of Tenerife (Santa Cruz)?

miuccia
07-03-2013, 23:25
I have been looking through the forums for hours now, and most people talk about living South.
It makes me wonder if there is something wrong with the metropolitan area.
My husband and I are considering moving to Santa Cruz de Tenerife anyone from the forum around that area?

bonitatime
08-03-2013, 09:49
It is great but you need to be much more integrated. There are very few English speakers there. I have been working predominantly there for the last 18 months and love it
PM me if you have questions or ask them here And i will try to answer them

ribuck
08-03-2013, 13:42
Santa Cruz is a great city. But it's a Spanish city, not a tourist city. You would need to learn Spanish to get the most out of it.

I love Santa Cruz. It has great infrastructure, great history, and great culture. It's close to the wonderful Teresitas beach and to the beautifully scenic Anaga peninsular.

Skeggy
08-03-2013, 15:16
There is certainly nothing wrong with Santa Cruz, the majority of visitors to Tenerife require the Beach and Bars in close proximity and the south has plenty of those. We recently spent a month in Santa Cruz and were totally smitten with the place, The Auditorio homes the Tenerife Symphony Orchestra and the regular concerts are a joy as are other concerts at the Theartro Guimar and Cine Victor, Ceasar Manrique designed a wonderful Lido and it is an ideal spot to enjoy the sunshine as well as the Garcia Sanbria and La Granja parks, Shops abound with most of Spains premier retailers in attendance. As Ribuck says access to the Anaga for walkers is easy and convenient. We found something different to do each day and can't wait to return for the month of May. I am to old too contemplate a move to Tenerife but saw some very reasonable city apartments to rent if you didn't want to buy. It is my opinion that Santa Cruz would be a great city to live and work....

miuccia
08-03-2013, 19:06
Thank you so much everyone for your replies!
We speak fluent Spanish so no problem there, I am glad you actually said it's a Spanish city and not a touristic one as that is exactly where I would want to live.
Of course tourists are everywhere but I perfectly understand what you mean.
My husband adores Tenerife and have always asked me to move there, but I am a city girl and looks like Santa Cruz is the best I can do :)

9PLUS
08-03-2013, 20:07
The RADest place to live in Tenerife is bang in the centre of La Laguna.

marbro8
08-03-2013, 20:41
There is certainly nothing wrong with Santa Cruz, the majority of visitors to Tenerife require the Beach and Bars in close proximity and the south has plenty of those. We recently spent a month in Santa Cruz and were totally smitten with the place, The Auditorio homes the Tenerife Symphony Orchestra and the regular concerts are a joy as are other concerts at the Theartro Guimar and Cine Victor, Ceasar Manrique designed a wonderful Lido and it is an ideal spot to enjoy the sunshine as well as the Garcia Sanbria and La Granja parks, Shops abound with most of Spains premier retailers in attendance. As Ribuck says access to the Anaga for walkers is easy and convenient. We found something different to do each day and can't wait to return for the month of May. I am to old too contemplate a move to Tenerife but saw some very reasonable city apartments to rent if you didn't want to buy. It is my opinion that Santa Cruz would be a great city to live and work....bloody hell skeggy you sound almost cultured:lol::lol::wink:

bonitatime
11-03-2013, 07:25
The RADest place to live in Tenerife is bang in the centre of La Laguna.

But it is very cold in the winter

9PLUS
11-03-2013, 07:59

That could throw it

garlicbread
11-03-2013, 14:50

The OP is from Austria, which will be a bloody site colder than Santa Cruz/La Laguna :wink:

Pooh
11-03-2013, 14:57
Santa Cruz isn't very cold, but La Laguna certainly is. (And both are hot in Summer.)
The main negative with Santa Cruz, in my eyes, is that the air isn't always the best. (The pollution gets stuck between the mountains when the wind is from the east - which it usually is - unless it's fairly strong.)
But compared to larger cities it's nothing.