PDA

View Full Version : How much is 'real beer' in Los Cristianos and where can I buy it?

poppy123
10-03-2013, 17:05
going to los cristianos, dad only drinks "real beer" like John Smiths, how much is a pint, and does every bar sell it?

LUCKY
10-03-2013, 17:35
:feret:
John smiths real beer !!!! :feret:
But saying that at least its Yorkshire Watter :feret:

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

http://qualityales.com/reviewsbeer.php?id=2701

marbro8
10-03-2013, 17:43
going to los cristianos, dad only drinks "real beer" like John Smiths, how much is a pint, and does every bar sell it? can.t comment on john smiths poppy but they do sell a nice pint of old speckled hen in desperate dans down by the market on los cris, but it's not cask conditioned, and all beer that has to be imported is more expensive than the local largers which you can get for 1 euro in some bars,
i think the old speckled hen is about 2-3 euros and you would be expected to pay that for john smiths as well:wink:

LUCKY
10-03-2013, 17:48
:feret:Old speckled hen. why not try The Golden hen:feret:

marbro8
10-03-2013, 18:47
:feret:Old speckled hen. why not try The Golden hen:feret:i have mate and i have tried old crafty hen as well:wink:

woolli
10-03-2013, 21:14
The Big Ben Pub opposite the market serves a mean pint of Old Speckled Hen. Best real ale in Los Cris.

tub
10-03-2013, 21:44
The Big Ben Pub opposite the market serves a mean pint of Old Speckled Hen. Best real ale in Los Cris.

old crafty hen now thats real ale

slodgedad
11-03-2013, 01:37
You can't buy real beer in Tenerife but you can buy a decent keg as mentioned above.

Red
12-03-2013, 00:33
Must admit I do get tired of the lager after a few. Bit of a schlepp to get to big bens (I love old speckled hen) with the Missus and 3 little ones from where we stay but I have to recommend the Guinness in the fountain bar near roast house. Truly good Guinness!

tub
12-03-2013, 21:33
leicester beer festival starts a week on thursday will get a few real ales down before we return next month

BobMac
12-03-2013, 21:44
going to los cristianos, dad only drinks "real beer" like John Smiths, how much is a pint, and does every bar sell it?

I'd argue about John Smiths even being classified as beer but you're more likely to come across Tetleys which I wouldn't class as beer either.

The only real beer I know of is Old Speckled Hen which is available from several of the cafes along the front - best one I know is a little cafe in the row opposite the old ruined house on the beach, standing with your back to the ruin it's the one on the right hand end.

marbro8
12-03-2013, 23:11
I'd argue about John Smiths even being classified as beer but you're more likely to come across Tetleys which I wouldn't class as beer either.

The only real beer I know of is Old Speckled Hen which is available from several of the cafes along the front - best one I know is a little cafe in the row opposite the old ruined house on the beach, standing with your back to the ruin it's the one on the right hand end.the one next to R&B's?

kingbaker
12-03-2013, 23:22
I saw Old bird hen talked about on here previously ............is it bottled or on draught that you're talking about?

I bought a bottle in Lidl in Dublin (€2.09) today. Is that good or bad?

marbro8
12-03-2013, 23:35
I saw Old bird hen talked about on here previously ............is it bottled or on draught that you're talking about?

I bought a bottle in Lidl in Dublin (€2.09) today. Is that good or bad?it's on draught at big bens in los cris kb,but only keg not cask conditioned, and here in walsall i can get 3 bottles for £5 from bargain booze:wink:

kingbaker
12-03-2013, 23:42
it's on draught at big bens in los cris kb,but only keg not cask conditioned, and here in walsall i can get 3 bottles for £5 from bargain booze:wink:

Fairly similliar price ...........have it in the fridge chillin out for tomoro nite

Red
13-03-2013, 01:25
What's the difference in keg and cask? Local to me (Manchester) I can get speckled hen in a JDW with a foam-like head or another pub with a smooth head (like guiness) The beer has the same taste tho I prefer the smooth one. Would that be keg?
Should just ask in the pub I suppose but can't be arsed with some spotty kid going to ask his manager, who'll then 'try to find out' whilst I just want to get back to the table with a tray of drinks.

clara
13-03-2013, 19:55
No 'Real beer' in Los Christianos ,you can only get keg.
Cask ale which you will see in JDW where they pull the handle of the handpump as opposed to switching a tap on a font is real ale in the sense it is a living ale with only a limited life span of a week or two. This is because it is made with fresh natural ingredients with no preservatives.
The keg beers (all the lagers, Guiness and smooth beers last anything up to 6 months and have been treated in some way, which I'm sure is popular with a lot of landlords as it requires little maintenance.
The real ales are just pumped out, the keg is pushed out with gas from a cylinder.
Hope this helps.

marbro8
13-03-2013, 20:06
What's the difference in keg and cask? Local to me (Manchester) I can get speckled hen in a JDW with a foam-like head or another pub with a smooth head (like guiness) The beer has the same taste tho I prefer the smooth one. Would that be keg?
Should just ask in the pub I suppose but can't be arsed with some spotty kid going to ask his manager, who'll then 'try to find out' whilst I just want to get back to the table with a tray of drinks. you will have to bare with me red because i don't really know for sure myself:laugh: but the real ale fans like the cask conditioned because as you said it is smooth and hand pulled with the old fashioned pulls where as the keg i think needs the gas to help pump it into the glass and for that reason is a lot more gassy, and it may be colder?, i myself prefer the cask as it is more traditional and i do think it tastes better:yum

tub
13-03-2013, 20:29
i think you will find if its sold as real ale in tenerife it will be pasturised to stop it going off i had speckled hen in feurteventura last year it was not bad but not like the real thing

warbey
13-03-2013, 21:30
I dont understand why People go to a Foreign Country, then want

Real Ale, Fish and Chips and English Cereals for Breakfast.

It would be better to go Somewhere in the U.K. ?

marbro8
13-03-2013, 21:43

It would be cheaper to go Somewhere in the U.K. ?no it wouldn't warbey:laugh::wink2:

warbey
13-03-2013, 21:47
:wow::wow:
no it wouldn't warbey:laugh::wink2:

I was amending before some Clever Person corrected Me Mate.

Dead Heat methinks.:wow::wow: :wink2::wink2:.

marbro8
13-03-2013, 21:51
:wow::wow:

I was amending before some Clever Person corrected Me Mate.

Dead Heat methinks.:wow::wow: :wink2::wink2:.my wife always says i am a d*ck, but never a clever one:laugh:

warbey
13-03-2013, 21:57
my wife always says i am a d*ck, but never a clever one:laugh:

You do for Me.!

Don't agree with the Missus though. (I'm in trouble now)

marbro8
13-03-2013, 22:42
You do for Me.!

Don't agree with the Missus though. (I'm in trouble now)no u aint mate she is just laffin:laugh::wink2:

Red
14-03-2013, 10:22

It would be better to go Somewhere in the U.K. ?

Agree with the fish and chips but a drinks a drink. Successful drinks are imported all over the world. Would you criticise a spaniard for ordering Rioja in the UK, a yank for ordering coke cola, a French man Chablis etc etc

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

No 'Real beer' in Los Christianos ,you can only get keg.
Cask ale which you will see in JDW where they pull the handle of the handpump as opposed to switching a tap on a font is real ale in the sense it is a living ale with only a limited life span of a week or two. This is because it is made with fresh natural ingredients with no preservatives.
The keg beers (all the lagers, Guiness and smooth beers last anything up to 6 months and have been treated in some way, which I'm sure is popular with a lot of landlords as it requires little maintenance.
The real ales are just pumped out, the keg is pushed out with gas from a cylinder.
Hope this helps.

Makes you wonder about the argument about chemicals and hangover. I have visited Germany a couple of times where they ate very strict on chemicals in the brewing laws. You can literally drink gallons of the stuff and not get a hangover, well not the same kind of hangover you get with other beers. That said, I've done a few sessions on imported Becks and still had hangovers.

Little german bar in Los Cris near fontana sq, fantastic and does a mean curry wurst. Wish there was more German bars in the south. Great people.

TOTO 99
14-03-2013, 10:40
In the UK I drink Fosters at my local.

In Tenerife I drink Dorada by the gallon, not least because it tastes a lot like the Fosters at my local. The main point being that I like it.

Food means nothing to me. I'm not a connoisseur. I'll eat most things. I like food but I just see it as fuel for the engine.

I hit the same restaurants as everyone else but I don't mind whether I do or I don't. Fish & chips is fine by me.

Everyone is different and have differing ideas of a good holiday. I go for a rest and more importantly, sun..:sunshine:

Sorry warbey........we're still mates right?...:tiphat:

Red
14-03-2013, 12:19
Your right everyone is different and your reference to Fosters and Dorada proves it. Personally I detest Fosters (Stella my UK beer) it is tasteless gassy water to me, like Budweiser and Carling. European beers have more about them.
Dorada is a beer I like but not a fan of Tropical.

warbey
14-03-2013, 21:37

Still Mates TOTO 99 . I am pretty well the same as You. Food is Fuel and I like most things.

The food in South Tenerife Resorts is more U.K. each time I go back anyway.

Being Old Fashioned, I drink Mild, (when I can get it) but Dorada or equivalent suits Me.

A BIG Benefit though, is being in Spain, and The number of free Drinks You can get in a Fortnight.

One Year We had Seven free Rounds. Pity We couldn't do the same in the U.K.?

I just cant understand Wanting Home comforts on a Foreign Holiday. But I can switch from one to the Other now, after a lot of Practice over a lot of Years

Hasta My next Visit,,

marbro8
14-03-2013, 21:58
In the UK I drink Fosters at my local.

In Tenerife I drink Dorada by the gallon, not least because it tastes a lot like the Fosters at my local. The main point being that I like it.

Food means nothing to me. I'm not a connoisseur. I'll eat most things. I like food but I just see it as fuel for the engine.

I hit the same restaurants as everyone else but I don't mind whether I do or I don't. Fish & chips is fine by me.

Everyone is different and have differing ideas of a good holiday. I go for a rest and more importantly, sun..:sunshine:

Sorry warbey........we're still mates right?...:tiphat:FOSTERS!!!!!! bloody hell mate i was talking to an aussi the other day and even they don't drink it:lol: here in the west mids we call it dingo pee:D

Red
16-03-2013, 09:30
All this talk of cerveza is whetting my appetite. I'll be jetting in on Monday for couple weeks. The diet for me will be NO English food whatsoever, I'll be on Spanish, Italian, Indian, Chinese, Thai and possibly a Lebanese. Drink wise, it'll be Dorada, Guinness, Speckled Hen if I see it, Rioja and vina sol.

marbro8
16-03-2013, 09:57
All this talk of cerveza is whetting my appetite. I'll be jetting in on Monday for couple weeks. The diet for me will be NO English food whatsoever, I'll be on Spanish, Italian, Indian, Chinese, Thai and possibly a Lebanese. Drink wise, it'll be Dorada, Guinness, Speckled Hen if I see it, Rioja and vina sol.sound exactly like my diet here in england:laugh:

poppy123
16-03-2013, 15:31
thanks for everyones replies, it's not a crime not to drink lager or Spanish beer, everyone is different, and in reply to the person who said it would be cheaper to holiday in the UK, it definitely ISN'T!!!

kingbaker
16-03-2013, 21:39

Still Mates TOTO 99 . I am pretty well the same as You. Food is Fuel and I like most things.

The food in South Tenerife Resorts is more U.K. each time I go back anyway.

Being Old Fashioned, I drink Mild, (when I can get it) but Dorada or equivalent suits Me.

A BIG Benefit though, is being in Spain, and The number of free Drinks You can get in a Fortnight.

One Year We had Seven free Rounds. Pity We couldn't do the same in the U.K.?

I just cant understand Wanting Home comforts on a Foreign Holiday. But I can switch from one to the Other now, after a lot of Practice over a lot of Years

Hasta My next Visit,,

Sorry Warbs, can you explain the free drinks bit please? I only get free
drinks when some oul' burd wants to do the dirty deed!!! Not that I'm that kinda bloke.:laugh::cheeky:

warbey
16-03-2013, 21:53
Sorry Warbs, can you explain the free drinks bit please? I only get free
drinks when some oul' burd wants to do the dirty deed!!! Not that I'm that kinda bloke.:laugh::cheeky:

You get what Youve ordered and don't have to Pay..

or "On the House".

The other Year, I did a small favour for a Chap, and We got Drinks on the House three or Four times..

Certainly NOT the U.K.

tub
17-03-2013, 21:06
some one once said to me whats your favourite drink no probs in answering its got to the the sixth

golazzo
20-03-2013, 06:30

Agree with that. Miserable bugger but what a cracking pint and cheap