View Full Version : Education How can I help my child with school homework if my Spanish isn't great?

11-03-2013, 08:24
Hiya, does anyone bave children in the local schools?if so which one. And how do you help with homework if your spanish isnt great?
Any advice would be really helpful :-)

11-03-2013, 21:36
You get them prívate lessons
My youngest went through state paid School and then the last 3 years through the state system but we are both Spanish speakers
Please get your children help it's so important

11-03-2013, 22:10
My child is only 3, so will just be starting school. Obviously ill get him help if he needs it. Which schools did your children go to and how old were they when they started?

11-03-2013, 22:13
Thats a bit smaller
It is an ideal moment for you to try to learn some Spanish
They really dont get a lot of homework at that age
She was in Echeyde From 3-15 then a year in Los Olivos And 2 in Los Cristianos

11-03-2013, 22:15
Both went to Spanish nursery then all the way through

11-03-2013, 22:17
Where is echeyde? Ive been looking at a bilingual nursery in valle san lorenso to start of with.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

What about your childrens english? Can they read and write in english also? If so did you get an english tutor?

11-03-2013, 22:21
I taught them to read And later they had lessons. To keep their English going I insisted they spoke English at home And From 6 to 13/14 they had extra lessons

11-03-2013, 22:28
Ok thank you. Now i just got to get him a place at the school

12-03-2013, 13:31
The Papers should go soon
Where do you live to get a reccomendation for schools

12-03-2013, 14:14
I will be living in palm mar and workin in los cris. What papers?

12-03-2013, 16:25
Echeyde is in Buzanada
The papers you need to apply for a place in the state system. There are specific dates to apply each year which if I remember start in April for approx 4/6 weeks

22-03-2013, 12:54
I used to be from mid-march when I was working in the schools.

You need to go to the nearest school or schools to where you live and fill out the matriculation papers. You'll need a copy of your Libro de Familia and some other stuff, like passport, NIE etc. The usual stuff. The school will tell you exactly.

If you have problems communicating, just ask to speak to the English teacher, as they are *supposed* to have a level B1 in English to teach it (but not many do, or maybe the Canarian government's idea of a B1 is different than the rest of Europe's...) and should at least be able to help.