PDA

View Full Version : Other Tourism down 4.5% February 2013 as compared to 2012

TF1
11-03-2013, 14:33
http://www.elblogoferoz.com/2013/03/11/desciende-un-45-la-llegada-de-turistas-a-canarias/

Perhaps the tourist board might consider running a few surveys, asking tourists who come here what they like / don't like about their visit. Then the Cabildo and town halls might consider doing something to resolve any negative issues (street vendors, street whores, pickpockets, timeshare touts at airports :wink:, inconsistent taxi fares, etc).
Or will they wait until tourism drops to crisis levels?

AL JAY
11-03-2013, 15:05
I think it may take some time for the penny to drop that there are far more nice illegal apartments for tourists to stay in,than legal ones! They probably haven't even opened last years Brown envelopes yet! :whistle:

Fivepence
11-03-2013, 15:16
I think it may take some time for the penny to drop that there are far more nice illegal apartments for tourists to stay in,than legal ones! They probably haven't even opened last years Brown envelopes yet! :whistle:

The price of flights aren't helping either, unless you don't want to take luggage and the wife and kids........:laugh:

9PLUS
11-03-2013, 15:59
Are there any statistics that show the 4.5% decrease in tourism for 1 month had anything to do with street vendors, street whores, pickpockets, timeshare touts at airports :wink:, inconsistent taxi fares ?

Because if there is i will personally take them to the tourist board, the local town halls and the Cabildo.

Pooh
11-03-2013, 16:03
Are those numbers compensated for the fact that February were 3.5% shorter 2013 compared to 2012? (1 day less.)

TF1
11-03-2013, 17:07
Are there any statistics that show the 4.5% decrease in tourism for 1 month had anything to do with street vendors, street whores, pickpockets, timeshare touts at airports :wink:, inconsistent taxi fares ?

No, which is why some serious surveys are required. But common sense suggests that these factors certainly are not helping the industry.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Are those numbers compensated for the fact that February were 3.5% shorter 2013 compared to 2012? (1 day less.)

Approx 42 thousand international passengers less arrived during the month. Even counting 1 day less (very few passengers only visit for just one day), quoting the average stay of 10 days, the offset is 0.093%, so the calculation of -4.5% would change slightly to 4.4%.

Pooh
11-03-2013, 17:25
Approx 42 thousand international passengers less arrived during the month. Even counting 1 day less (very few passengers only visit for just one day), quoting the average stay of 10 days, the offset is 0.093%, so the calculation of -4.5% would change slightly to 4.4%.

That's a strange arithmetic. The number of days they stay, or if they stay only 1 day or not, has nothing to do with it.
1 day less is 3.5% less time available for the tourists to arrive to the island. The rest are pushed to March. (But doesn't increase the numbers in March, since there are the same number of days every year.)
Arrivals to any airport/destination always increase leap years in February; If the increase is 3.5%, there has actually been neither increase or decrease. The same applies for the decrease the year after a leap year.
I have worked professionally with air traffic statistics.

TF1
11-03-2013, 17:55
That's a strange arithmetic. The number of days they stay, or if they stay only 1 day or not, has nothing to do with it.
1 day less is 3.5% less time available for the tourists to arrive to the island. The rest are pushed to March. (But doesn't increase the numbers in March, since there are the same number of days every year.)
Arrivals to any airport/destination always increase leap years in February; If the increase is 3.5%, there has actually been neither increase or decrease. The same applies for the decrease the year after a leap year.
I have worked professionally with air traffic statistics.

I believe these stats take into account averages of spill over occupancy from January and onto March. The official figures in the link quote tourism, not arrivals. My own brief calculation resulted in 1 day less in the month equating to less than 1% difference in overall occupancy, but I'm sure that the tourist board, Cabildo and gobierno all have conflicting methods of calculation.
Just to be sure, this week I'll ask a colleague in the Cabildo to find out how the official figures are calculated.

Pooh
11-03-2013, 18:10
Well, a common statistic in this case is the use of the total number of "hotel room nights" in a month, and that is affected by the same 3.5% decrease.
For 1 day to have less than 1% impact, there would need to be over 100 days in a month.

warbey
11-03-2013, 20:11
I dont know about a Survey. Just ask them to go on here and read a few Threads.

They could have a look whilst waiting for the Rubber Stamp delivery.

TF1
11-03-2013, 21:34
So why don't we run a forum survey? I can make sure the results get to the Canarian press, the Cabildo, gobierno and town halls.:idea:

warbey
11-03-2013, 21:37
so why don't we run a forum survey? I can make sure the results get to the canarian press, the cabildo, gobierno and town halls.:idea:

?

[/mention]. ?

Fivepence
11-03-2013, 21:39
Having avoided any Infraction so far, I think We should ask Permission to do so. If You feel it would help.

Where are You @Kirsty Jay. ?
warbey, Malteser Monkey helped me to do the mentions.................so you mean where are you KirstyJay? :cheeky:

warbey
11-03-2013, 21:42
So why don't we run a forum survey? I can make sure the results get to the Canarian press, the Cabildo, gobierno and town halls.:idea:

Having avoided any Infraction so far, I think We should ask Permission to do so. If You feel it would help.

Where are You KirstyJay slodgedad. ?

warbey, Malteser Monkey helped me to do the mentions.................so you mean where are you KirstyJay? :cheeky:

I was busy Editing. Kirsty used to have a Hyphen, I think...:ashamed: :hi::hi:

Fivepence
11-03-2013, 22:05

:sorry: warbey, I was a bit previous. :ashamed:

slodgedad
11-03-2013, 22:08

Don't exactly know what survey you want.

Malteser Monkey
12-03-2013, 09:50
Don't exactly know what survey you want.

how many mentions one can get in a post !:whistle:

TF1
12-03-2013, 10:24
Well, the idea would be to create a simple survey to ask forum members (non-resident) who have visited Tenerife in the last 2 years what could have been done to improve their holiday. Eight or so questions, with 5 graded answer options. I'm sure that the results would be useful, and once forwarded to the press, would also provide some great publicity for the forum.
Many forum members have created threads asking how we can promote or improve the island. Perhaps this could be one way?:wink:

9PLUS
12-03-2013, 10:36
I know what most women want

xxx

TOTO 99
12-03-2013, 10:43

xxx

So you should,..............you are one..:laugh:

9PLUS
12-03-2013, 10:52
^ prick........

Medman
12-03-2013, 11:41
^ prick........

Is that the answer to the question or just a cuss ? ....... :whistle:

TF1
12-03-2013, 12:11

xxx

Cool, you could always survey the elderly overweight German frau's just to make sure. :eyebrows:

9PLUS
12-03-2013, 12:29
Lolz...........

BobMac
12-03-2013, 15:41
I'm surprised we haven't heard from Nelson on this yet, blaming it all on the Illegal Letting Clampdown, General Franco and Hitler

Malteser Monkey
12-03-2013, 15:45
I'm surprised we haven't heard from Nelson on this yet, blaming it all on the Illegal Letting Clampdown, General Franco and Hitler

I blame it on the doggie doos:whistle:

slodgedad
12-03-2013, 18:05
Tourism may have been down in February but according to the local news today, employment was up 5.5% in February this year compared to February, 2012.

warbey
12-03-2013, 20:41
^ prick........

Black Mark.?....:tiphat::tiphat::D:D:D

Malteser Monkey
12-03-2013, 21:31
No he dyes his hair:wink:

nelson
12-03-2013, 22:47

these figures are of course very interesting indeed. Here we are in peak season , the canaries winter sun time, and here the official numbers are drastically down. Of course these numbers dont show the illegal private lets at all. These will be fairly strong now as so many repeat bookings will be staying as family and friends.

We know that the govt takes no notice of the economic impact of halting private letting, we also know that due to winter repeats and family and friends, the economy is not as yet suffering from the full negative impact that a complete halting of the private letting would cause. The crunch time for private letting numbers is this spring and summer, because the pulled internet ads of autumn 2011 will then result in much lower footfall for the canaries this spring and summer. Last spring and summer, though weak, still had bookings that the internet ads had generated up to say november 2011. That effect has now gone.

What we are seeing is what I and many more have said throughout all this, the hotels demanding the crackdown against private letting does not mean that they get those customers into their hotels. The markets are totally different, the customers are not interchangable.

The hotels have attacked private renting to gain customers, its not working out like that, the canarian economy can not cope with this protectionist policy, no where in the world could. Any economy needs a free dynamic based on being driven by consumer choices and demand.

Yes bob mac , if you run an economy on the basis of central diktat, you are not part of the modern free world, and 9 times out of 10 the people suffer.

I wish the hotels sucess, but its crazy to attack the private renting sector , it will not help the hotels. They wont solve their problems while they rely on this protectionist nonsense.

9PLUS
12-03-2013, 22:56
Help us out nelson you better get that fine paid sharpish.

nelson
12-03-2013, 23:08
Help us out nelson you better get that fine paid sharpish.

my fine is a mere dot as compares with the lost revenues to the canarian economy from lost private rent customers. The canaries are facing great peril, a world wide crisis that they are powerless to influnce, but on top of that a crazy attack on an important part of their own economy , entirely engineered by their own govt. The lost revenues from this important sector of tourism is tragic, its no joke, Add in the potential lost revenue from permit fees that the govt could charge the private renters and its shocking.

The whole canarian population is suffering from this pantomime , they need economic realism and a growing economy, not a one off fine.

9PLUS
12-03-2013, 23:35
so is that a yes or a no ?

sam1111111
13-03-2013, 03:41
i hope it picks up