PDA

View Full Version : Should Vicky Price be in prison?

rosemary
13-03-2013, 11:32
The lawyer for Chris Huhne's ex-wife, Vicky Pryce, has suggested that she should have been treated as a victim or witness, insisting that marital coercion is still a relevant defence in the modern era.

Pryce was jailed for eight months alongside Huhne on Monday for falsely taking the penalty for a speeding offence he committed a decade ago. Her solicitor, Robert Brown, said they are actively considering whether to appeal.

Pryce's reliance on the rare defence of marital coercion led some commentators to criticise it as antiquated and call for it to be scrapped but Brown said that it was important to protect women who were vulnerable to pressure.

"If we abolish this defence of marital coercion, where does it leave these women?" he told BBC Radio 4's Today programme on Wednesday.

He added: "I think that more careful consideration could have been given to whether she [Pryce] should have been treated as a defendant or whether, in light of a lot of the evidence, she should have been considered as a victim or witness."

In apparent support of the suggestion that Pryce, 60, was a victim, Brown pointed out that government policy on domestic violence did not limit the definition to physical violence. "In the modern era women are still vulnerable in many situations," he said.

During his mitigation speech Pryce's barrister, Julian Knowles QC, made it plain she still maintained she had been pressured into taking three driving licence points for Huhne.

The judge, Mr Justice Sweeney, was clearly sceptical, praising the jury for their decision and saying Pryce had "a controlling, manipulative and devious side" to her nature.

Pryce, currently in Holloway prison, has 28 days to decide whether to appeal.

Meanwhile Huhne, who is in Wandsworth prison, was ridiculed on his first day in jail when a warder called him to breakfast shouting: "Order! Order!", the Sun reported.

The prison officer reportedly mimicked the Commons speaker by adding over the PA system: "The right honourable member for Wandsworth North – down to the office."

Other prisoners at the south-west London jail were said to have roared with laughter as the former energy secretary went from his cell to pick up the meal. The newspaper also reported that 58-year-old Huhne has been moved to a wing for vulnerable prisoners because other convicts humiliated and bullied him.

He is said to have asked to be moved to the special area after prisoners discovered he was a millionaire and badgered him for cash.http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/mar/13/vicky-pryce-treated-victim-lawyer

If everyone with a 'controlling, manipulative and devious manner' was imprisoned because of it, wouldn't a good deal of the world's population be behind bars?

Marital coercian is still a good defence IMO too. What say others? :agree:

golf birdie
13-03-2013, 11:45
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/mar/13/vicky-pryce-treated-victim-lawyer

If everyone with a 'controlling, manipulative and devious manner' was imprisoned because of it, wouldn't a good deal of the world's population be behind bars?

if she'd kept her mouth shut she never would of seen the inside of a cell. She went looking for revenge and the tables were turned, deserves every day of the 8 months IMO.

TOTO 99
13-03-2013, 12:17
I think they've been used to set an example to people who think they are above the law.

I agree with him though when he says it just got out of hand and spiralled from a traffic offence to a prison cell.

I've seen people get away with less for doing a whole lot worse. People who beat others to a pulp or commit endless crimes and blame drug addiction. They rarely end up in prison but the streets would be a lot safer if they did.

These pair didn't hurt anyone physically and everyone is still in one piece. A huge fine would have been better for the economy rather than us having to fund their time in prison.

It will certainly teach them and hopefully others a lesson. It will stay with them for a long time. I would imagine they'll be out in a few weeks.

Fivepence
13-03-2013, 12:35
I think they've been used to set an example to people who think they are above the law.

I agree with him though when he says it just got out of hand and spiralled from a traffic offence to a prison cell.

I've seen people get away with less for doing a whole lot worse. People who beat others to a pulp or commit endless crimes and blame drug addiction. They rarely end up in prison but the streets would be a lot safer if they did.

These pair didn't hurt anyone physically and everyone is still in one piece. A huge fine would have been better for the economy rather than us having to fund their time in prison.

It will certainly teach them and hopefully others a lesson. It will stay with them for a long time. I would imagine they'll be out in a few weeks.

I completely agree with ToTo.

Too many people get off with fines or a suspended sentence.
Vicki Price has done a stupid thing but that is all and prison is to harsh.
Mr Huhne is the one that tried to pervert the course of justice but even so the sentence also seems harsh.

Just my opinion folks.

kingbaker
13-03-2013, 12:42

Then half the women'd be behind bars hmmmmm!!

rosemary
13-03-2013, 12:50

Yeah....and why do they end up like that? Couldn't be because men drive em to it could it?:tiphat:

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Yeah....and why do they end up like that? Couldn't be because men drive em to it could it?:tiphat:

kingbaker
13-03-2013, 13:04
[QUOTE=rosemary;270574]Yeah....and why do they end up like that? Couldn't be because men drive em to it could it?:tiphat:

Absolutely not.....what'd make you think like that!!:doh::doh: :lol::D:devil2:;)

Just visualizing Monkey and chifleta and Suej and Santiago and cainaries locked in cages!!

Actually thats probs where Cainaries's been lately:p:p:p:p

Suej
13-03-2013, 13:39
http://youtu.be/z5rXLZfsJT0
[QUOTE=rosemary;270574]Yeah....and why do they end up like that? Couldn't be because men drive em to it could it?:tiphat:

Absolutely not.....what'd make you think like that!!:doh::doh: :lol::D:devil2:;)

Just visualizing @<u><a href="http://www.tenerifeforum.org/tenerife-forum/member.php?u=252" target="_blank">Monkey</a></u> and @<u><a href="http://www.tenerifeforum.org/tenerife-forum/member.php?u=1120" target="_blank">chifleta</a></u> and @<u><a href="http://www.tenerifeforum.org/tenerife-forum/member.php?u=118" target="_blank">Suej</a></u> and @Santi and @<u><a href="http://www.tenerifeforum.org/tenerife-forum/member.php?u=55" target="_blank">cainaries</a></u> locked in cages!!

Actually thats probs where Cainaries's been lately:p:p:p:p

Medman
13-03-2013, 15:57

One of my ex-colleagues had his wife take the 3 points for a speeding offence as he already had 9 points. Don't think she would have done it or he would have let her do it if they thought for a minute that she would end up in jail.

I'm sure it happens a lot. Can't condone it but it's hardly warrants imprisonment (if first offence)

Seems a bit harsh and a waste of money. Hefty fines would have sufficed IMO.

lawrence
13-03-2013, 16:03
A warning to all men about a scorned woman. (it's alright ladies got my crash helmet on am waiting for your comments) Lol

Albatros
13-03-2013, 17:10
One of my ex-colleagues had his wife take the 3 points for a speeding offence as he already had 9 points. Don't think she would have done it or he would have let her do it if they thought for a minute that she would end up in jail.

I'm sure it happens a lot. Can't condone it but it's hardly warrants imprisonment (if first offence)

Seems a bit harsh and a waste of money. Hefty fines would have sufficed IMO.

The custodial sentence reflects the continual contempt of court and perjury. The Judiciary takes these very seriously and quite rightly so.

hackney58
13-03-2013, 17:26
No sympathy, deserves all she got, in my opinion should have been more!!
The first duty of a wife is to love and OBEY, after that well a bit of cooking and cleaning would not go amiss.
never had problems like this with Yorkshire girls, but enought said,
men just don't get the support from their wives these day's

Medman
13-03-2013, 17:58
The custodial sentence reflects the continual contempt of court and perjury. The Judiciary takes these very seriously and quite rightly so.

When you put it like that ................ hang the pair of them !! :D

melm
13-03-2013, 18:56
When you put it like that ................ hang the pair of them !! :D

the devilish side of me thought it would be fun if they were to share a cell!!!!!!!!!!!!!

warbey
13-03-2013, 21:06
Arrogance is maybe a harsh word, but no-one SHOULD be above the Law.

Serves Them Both right.

Also an example to Others. They will be Out in 3.!