PDA

View Full Version : Paperwork How do you revoke a power of attorney in Tenerife?

caretenerife
18-03-2013, 14:03
I have just had a terrible conversation with a very frightened elderly lady who lives alone in the north, she gave power of attorney to her carer for her bank account and now realises she is taking large somes of money out of the account and therefore leaving her short and very frightened to confront this woman

How can she revoke this order, is it an easy process? It needs to be done asap, she has agreed to see me on Wednesday when we can try and sort something out to give her peace of mind

The carer has told her she has been to a lawyer and now owns her apartment and can throw her out once the money runs out, this situations make my blood run cold
Any information will be welcomed

Sundowner
18-03-2013, 14:38
I have just had a terrible conversation with a very frightened elderly lady who lives alone in the north, she gave power of attorney to her carer for her bank account and now realises she is taking large somes of money out of the account and therefore leaving her short and very frightened to confront this woman

How can she revoke this order, is it an easy process? It needs to be done asap, she has agreed to see me on Wednesday when we can try and sort something out to give her peace of mind

The carer has told her she has been to a lawyer and now owns her apartment and can throw her out once the money runs out, this situations make my blood run cold
Any information will be welcomed

I would 1st check all the facts, just in case the situation is not as straight forward as it seems.

Revoking a power of attorney is not difficult in the U.K. and I would imagine the same would apply out in Tenerife.

If she is getting ripped off by her carer, you would need to speak to an attorney and maybe the police.

Ed3229
18-03-2013, 15:41
Not sure if you will be able to read this in Tenerife but its a similar story....
http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/8793493.Jail_for_woman_who_stole___130k_from_mothe r_in_law/

Suej
18-03-2013, 16:24
Goldenmaniac might be a good member to ask!

fonica
18-03-2013, 20:01
If you have the original of the document then take ot back to the Notario who signed it.If you don't have the document(and usually the person named as having the "poder" has the original) then go back to the notario with all your personal documents and ask to revoke the document.There is still a danger that the person who has been given the poder will continue to use it but it then becomes a much more serious offence.Make sure that you notify the person concerned that the poder has been revoked ( un burrofax is ideal for this and can be sent from the post office).

Cruise
18-03-2013, 22:24
If you have the original of the document then take ot back to the Notario who signed it.If you don't have the document(and usually the person named as having the "poder" has the original) then go back to the notario with all your personal documents and ask to revoke the document.There is still a danger that the person who has been given the poder will continue to use it but it then becomes a much more serious offence.Make sure that you notify the person concerned that the poder has been revoked ( un burrofax is ideal for this and can be sent from the post office).

Totally agree , just go back to the same notary and ask for it to be cancelled.....She will have to sign the cancellation.....If anything has been robbed property money etc.....contact police and denounce, contact urgently a good lawyer and the more denouncias against this person the faster it will get to court.....Sorry to hear her sad news and wishing you every success....Good luck as u also will need it..

Goldenmaniac
19-03-2013, 14:08
As previously said the lady should go to a Notary, easier if it's the same one but not essential and arrange to revoke the POA. Again it is easier, but not essential to have the original copy of the POA.
Once the POA has been revoked the lady should advise her bank, showing them the deed of revocation, so that they withdraw privileges of the carer on the account and if the person concerned uses the POA after it has been revoked in any other way that is a criminal offence