PDA

View Full Version : Woman refused on flight to Tenerife

andyandcollette
19-03-2013, 02:08
Thought some of you may be interested in this.

I bet you can guess the local headline Yes " Couple Refused Entry To Tenerife" Splash on front page. More bad press for our other favorate place in the world.

Andy

Published by iom newspapers on Saturday 16 March 2013 07:00

AN island-based couple were left distraught and out of pocket when they were denied boarding a flight to the Canary Islands because of a passport mix-up.

Retired chartered accountant Chris Hobdell and his wife Mary, an Indian national who has lived in the British Isles for 35 years, the last 25 in the Isle of Man, had been looking forward to the three-week holiday in their Tenerife timeshare.

Having flown over from the island the night before, they arrived to check in at Manchester Airport at 5.30am last Friday for their easyJet flight, only to be told that the ‘Right of Abode’ certificate that Mary carried, which is supposed to allow her free access to travel within the EU, would not be acceptable in Tenerife – and she would not be allowed to fly.

‘It came as a bolt out of the blue. It just beggars belief, it’s just bureaucratic nonsense,’ said Chris, of Alexander Drive, Douglas.

His wife, who has lived with her husband in the Isle of Man for 25 years, having previously lived in the Channel Islands for five years and London for five years, added: ‘It was like someone hitting you over the head. I was completely gobsmacked.’

Chris said the couple have had precious little sleep since the incident.

He said: ‘Mary, my wife of 35 years and mother of our two children, is Indian with an Indian passport. However, she used to have a “Certificate of Patriality” which means free access to the UK as she is my wife. Now she has a certificate of “The Right of Abode”.

‘She would normally need a Shengen visa in her passport but the visa requirements are not required if she is travelling with an EU member of the family.

‘On checking in at Manchester for the flight we were told that Tenerife would not let her in because the “Right of Abode” does not say that she is a family member. This is despite the fact that we have been married for 35 years – we produced our marriage certificate and showed that Mary’s passport officially states that I am her husband and my passport officially states that she is my wife.

‘When we were told the news we were obviously very distraught. We seem to have just hit a wall of bureaucracy that made absolutely no sense whatsoever. There was no redress, no higher authority, nobody to turn to.’

To compound their nightmare, when Chris threw a pen on to the check-in desk in frustration he was accused of throwing it at the agent and he too was told he could not fly even though all his papers were in order – not that he would have travelled without his wife anyway.

‘This was to be a three-week holiday having not spent our timeshare points for two years, and the cost runs into £2,00 to £3,000. This is a totally idiotic situation, he added.

Mr Hobdell has now written to the Border Agency to find out if new rules have been enacted and why the Right of Abode does not have the precise wording required by the handling agent at Manchester Airport. He has also written to the airline asking for some explanation and refuting the allegation that he threw a pen at somebody.

The Isle of Man Passport and Immigration Office said it cannot discuss individual cases.

A spokesman for easyJet said: ‘easyJet is legally required to ensure all passengers have valid travel documents prior to boarding. During check-in it became apparent the customer did not possess all required documents to enter Tenerife. Our staff therefore made the difficult but necessary decision to deny boarding. We would like to apologise to the customer for any inconvenience caused and urge all passengers to ensure they have the correct visas and paperwork prior to travel.’

timmylish
19-03-2013, 02:54
I am sorry but I just cannot see where there is any slur on Tenerife or indeed any bad press. After all its hardly the fault of any authority here on Tenerife or the UK that the lady could not travel because of her failure to ensure her documents were all in order.
Unfortunately some people on here may try to suggest that being Timeshare owners was the real reason for refusing the lady entry!

EDGEY72
19-03-2013, 03:08
Sorry but the onus is on the customer to check they have the right documentation to travel. How this can be a slur on Tenerife i have no idea as they never even left Manchester.

TOTO 99
19-03-2013, 07:22
Not a pleasant story for those involved but absolutely not a slur against Tenerife, that would be nonsense.

They must have been expecting something of a problem seeing as they took their marriage certificate with them in the first place so why the "bolt from the blue" exclamation?

9PLUS
19-03-2013, 07:54
That lazy little aggressive pie eating chartered accountant should have booked with Ryanair

x

Medman
19-03-2013, 08:43
http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/isle-of-man-news/seller-of-archibald-knox-collection-blown-away-by-response-1-5452126

He said he was going to spend most of his time in India anyway ! (and his £35,000 from selling his stuff)

PS. Not a slur on Tenerife but on an arrogant bean counter.

9PLUS
19-03-2013, 08:58
sod off to India....................pfft

TF1
19-03-2013, 10:42
"Oh, I've forgot to get my travel papers in order / haven't read the passport rules for overseas travel, and the airline won't let be board so I'll go and whine to the local press to see if someone might buy me a free ticket".
If he's that desperate he should just hang around Birmingham airport for a few hours, I'm sure some timeshare rep disguised as Sam Fox would sign him up for a "free prize" fly-buy tour.

Muppet
19-03-2013, 10:46
Bad press for the island(s) - don't think so!

A timely reminder that in these dangerous days of terrorism, being able to prove your identity and having the correct travel documents is even more important than ever!

It still amuses/amazes me how many "Brits" turn up for the ferry to La Gomera without their passports

Nothing to do with Tenerife whatsoever though. Not a story, not interesting, sorry!

fonica
19-03-2013, 14:01
Bad press for the island(s) - don't think so!

A timely reminder that in these dangerous days of terrorism, being able to prove your identity and having the correct travel documents is even more important than ever!

It still amuses/amazes me how many "Brits" turn up for the ferry to La Gomera without their passports

Nothing to do with Tenerife whatsoever though. Not a story, not interesting, sorry!

Don't forget that he threw a missile at the check-in agent!!!!! (well at the wall not at the check-in agent!!!!). Had he been travelling with Ryanair the rep would have said,"don't mistake me for somebody that cares".

casabonny
19-03-2013, 17:18
What a load of twaddle.Clearly these people hadnt done thier research before travelling and as another poster said why take your marriage certificate if all was in order, beggers belief!
Seems like they are just after a free holiday from anyone who feels they are hard done by.If you cant abide by the rules dont travel end of.

Addick
19-03-2013, 17:21

:ashamed::o

Guilty as charged.

We just didn't think about it tbh so returned to our apartment and drove back to LC and bought our tickets the next day like we knew all along :whistle:

9PLUS
19-03-2013, 17:35
The clue is in the word - Passport

innit

x

marbro8
19-03-2013, 18:59

Guilty as charged.

We just didn't think about it tbh so returned to our apartment and drove back to LC and bought our tickets the next day like we knew all along :whistle:good job i read this thread:laugh:

warbey
19-03-2013, 19:11
I can remember not too long ago, a Couple from Tenerife, stranded in Spain, because Ryanair refused to let Them on

They had to Pay compo, with the Couple Travelling with another Airline the next Day.

The Thread is on here somewhere. Their Papers were in order.

woolli
19-03-2013, 21:56
Im very surprised that the three stooges, marbro , warbey, and TF1 didnt wanted them banned anyway for having points in the first place!

marbro8
19-03-2013, 22:00
Im very surprised that the three stooges, marbro , warbey, and TF1 didnt wanted them banned anyway for having points in the first place!i'd have them hung drawn and quartered:laugh:

Ecky Thump
19-03-2013, 22:15
i'd have them hung drawn and quartered:laugh:

That's what I like about you, you are prepared to share!:D

andyandcollette
19-03-2013, 22:56
Great to see everyones thoughts thanks. I guess I should have put a question mark at the end of the title. I wonder if could forget any paperwork for my wife that would allow me to chill on my own (only joking Collette). Andy.

chifleta
19-03-2013, 23:43

Guilty as charged.

We just didn't think about it tbh so returned to our apartment and drove back to LC and bought our tickets the next day like we knew all along :whistle:

blessssssss :console:

Suej
20-03-2013, 16:47
Great to see everyones thoughts thanks. I guess I should have put a question mark at the end of the title. I wonder if could forget any paperwork for my wife that would allow me to chill on my own (only joking Collette). Andy.

We've all titled a thread and realised afterwards that it's not quite what we mean! it's a shame we can't edit them like we can on our posts!:)

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Guilty as charged.

Not as bad as friends of mine that have had an apartment here for 6 years! twice they arrived without the door keys!!!rolleyes2::dontknow: