PDA

View Full Version : Education What options are available in Tenerife for special educational needs?

thesloaneranger
25-03-2013, 14:59
Hi

Sorry to be a pest and ask a question, but I was wondering what provision there is in the South for SEN kids?

My daughter is due to start high school after the summer and we are currently in a locked-horns situation with our local council, hence one of the reasons we are relocating to the island. She is almost 13 and has ASD (autistic spectrum disorder), but has been at mainstream primary school for 7 years and has done well with extra support. The council are refusing to let her go with her friends to high school, and are insisting she goes to the local special needs school. My daughter regresses badly when in that kind of environment and thrives in the company of regular kids as she tends to copy her peers.

Are there any schools in the south which would offer mainstream education with some additional support? English speaking school would of course be ideal, but she is very good at languages and enjoys the German class she gets currently at school. Also, what sort of fees should I budget for, registration cut offs etc? As a side line, are there kids basketball clubs around as thats her favourite pastime.

Im sorry this is a wee bit garbled, but Im looking to do alot of my groundwork over the easter hols as we are aiming for a June move when the Scottish schools break up for the summer. Thanks in advance xxx

p.s we have work organised and are retaining our business in the uk so we can ensure we have enough regular income to support extra expenses such as education. Last thing we would want is to just get her settled and run out of cash :/

slodgedad
25-03-2013, 16:08
Speak to Jean Simpson at the Callao Learning Centre.

Jean is MrsTT on the Forum

fonica
25-03-2013, 23:44
Hi

Sorry to be a pest and ask a question, but I was wondering what provision there is in the South for SEN kids?

My daughter is due to start high school after the summer and we are currently in a locked-horns situation with our local council, hence one of the reasons we are relocating to the island. She is almost 13 and has ASD (autistic spectrum disorder), but has been at mainstream primary school for 7 years and has done well with extra support. The council are refusing to let her go with her friends to high school, and are insisting she goes to the local special needs school. My daughter regresses badly when in that kind of environment and thrives in the company of regular kids as she tends to copy her peers.

Are there any schools in the south which would offer mainstream education with some additional support? English speaking school would of course be ideal, but she is very good at languages and enjoys the German class she gets currently at school. Also, what sort of fees should I budget for, registration cut offs etc? As a side line, are there kids basketball clubs around as thats her favourite pastime.

Im sorry this is a wee bit garbled, but Im looking to do alot of my groundwork over the easter hols as we are aiming for a June move when the Scottish schools break up for the summer. Thanks in advance xxx

p.s we have work organised and are retaining our business in the uk so we can ensure we have enough regular income to support extra expenses such as education. Last thing we would want is to just get her settled and run out of cash :/

There wouldn't be any available help in the Spanish system and the British private school Wingate doesn't have a special needs support so unless the Callao Learning Centre can help,there isn't anything on offer here for your daughter.

thesloaneranger
26-03-2013, 00:00
Thank you for your replies - Ill add Callao onto my "to do" list :)

Fonica Im surprised there isint some kind of light provision within the British school, but like everything else I guess its all about money and demand.

Beverley Veness
26-03-2013, 00:06
My son has ASD and although he is past school age now we moved here last year so if you want someone to talk to who has been through it already then let me know when you get here and we can meet for a coffee. He stayed in mainstream school so stick to your guns it will be worth it in the long run, a adult with some learning needs is by far the better option than an adult who is still a child because they have been pampered in special school without any thought of what happens at 16! Good luck

fesdie
26-03-2013, 10:52
Thank you for your replies - Ill add Callao onto my "to do" list :)

Fonica Im surprised there isint some kind of light provision within the British school, but like everything else I guess its all about money and demand.

My son attends Wingate and has educational support needs. There is no provision within the school but we provide a tutor who goes into the school at our expense. We have found Wingate to be very accommodating and helpful in a lot of ways but they do not have the resources to provide additional help within their current set up.
If you would like to know more then please feel free to pm me. Good luck.

fonica
26-03-2013, 16:17
My son attends Wingate and has educational support needs. There is no provision within the school but we provide a tutor who goes into the school at our expense. We have found Wingate to be very accommodating and helpful in a lot of ways but they do not have the resources to provide additional help within their current set up.
If you would like to know more then please feel free to pm me. Good luck.
Well done for finding a solution but it must be a very expensive one!!! I am amazed at Wingates limitations as I know several parents who have their children in Wingate and who are having to pay for extra tuition outside school especially in Spanish/English and maths which are core subjects and I would expect any extra learning support to be provided by the school.Come on Wingate you are charging enough to provide a better service.

MrsTT
03-04-2013, 18:22
PM sent :wave:

thesloaneranger
04-04-2013, 23:07
Thank you everyone for your replies - you have been super helpful :) My Easter hols planning work has had a spanner put in the works due to being messed around by someone and the move is temporarily now on hold, however Im a hardy soul and investigating alternative options. Ill just check my PMs MrsTT - I appreciate you getting to me before Ive had a chance to get to you lol! x