PDA

View Full Version : Other Commission rip offs at ATM machines

Suej
31-03-2013, 12:08
We were out last night with friends at Habibi when we wanted to pay the bill by card but their card machine started misbehaving and would not print or accept the transaction, the owner asked if we wouldn't mind going over to the bank opposite to draw the money out so we just popped over the road to Caixa put our card in and were gobsmacked that the commission charge was 9€!!!!!!!!!!!!! our bank is Banca March but surely that is an extortionate amount of commission! Has anyone been charged this much? or more? How are the banks in so much trouble!!!!:redcard:

The boss at Habibi was very kind and deducted the money from our bill! :respect:

Angusjim
31-03-2013, 12:13
We were out last night with friends at Habibi when we wanted to pay the bill by card but their card machine started misbehaving and would not print or accept the transaction, the owner asked if we wouldn't mind going over to the bank opposite to draw the money out so we just popped over the road to Caixa put our card in and were gobsmacked that the commission charge was 9€!!!!!!!!!!!!! our bank is Banca March but surely that is an extortionate amount of commission! Has anyone been charged this much? or more? How are the banks in so much trouble!!!!:redcard:

The boss at Habibi was very kind and deducted the money from our bill! :respect:

What banks ripping of customers surely not !!:mad: change the 1st letter in bankers to another letter ? and you get a true reflection of what they are:eyebrows:

primrose
31-03-2013, 12:33

Yes it did the same with me but I noticed it and cancelled the transaction. Mine is an English card and I get charged by my Bank as well.Got a Spanish account but only use it for Direct Debits just don't trust the Spanish Banks and after what happened in Cyprus trust them even less.

Suej
31-03-2013, 12:57
Yes it did the same with me but I noticed it and cancelled the transaction. Mine is an English card and I get charged by my Bank as well.Got a Spanish account but only use it for Direct Debits just don't trust the Spanish Banks and after what happened in Cyprus trust them even less.

It's also happened to us before primrose and the commission is often anything from 50 cents to 4€ and like you we cancel! but it was late and we didn't fancy driving in to LC to our own bank! A neighbour who was working in Greece last summer has just told me this morning that she was charged 16€ at an ATM there!!! :crazy:

canarybird
31-03-2013, 13:14
Yes a few days ago I went to a BBVA cash outlet using my card from La Caixa, when the La Caixa ATM wasn't working (happens often) and was charged €9.
A few weeks ago when again the La Caixa ATM wasn't working, I was charged about €6 from the BBVA cash point.
Thought that was bad enough, but the 9 Euros was just TOO much!

Won't do it again no matter how much I need cash at that moment.

primrose
31-03-2013, 13:15
It's also happened to us before primrose and the commission is often anything from 50 cents to 4€ and like you we cancel! but it was late and we didn't fancy driving in to LC to our own bank! A neighbour who was working in Greece last summer has just told me this morning that she was charged 16€ at an ATM there!!! :crazy:

My English Bank charges 1pound for every transaction I make with my debit card and 4 Pounds for every 300 Euros I withdraw from a cash machine, so begrudge paying commission to Spanish bank as well, it's better now Iceland and Mercadona give you the choice of Sterling or Euros no charges.

Suej
31-03-2013, 13:21
Yes a few days ago I went to a BBVA cash outlet using my card from La Caixa, when the La Caixa ATM wasn't working (happens often) and was charged €9.
A few weeks ago when again the La Caixa ATM wasn't working, I was charged about €6 from the BBVA cash point.
Thought that was bad enough, but the 9 Euros was just TOO much!

Won't do it again no matter how much I need cash at that moment.

Same here CB!!! that's why I made sure that the Boss knew in the restaurant! I wonder how many other customers got caught the same way last night as there isn't another bank in walking distance! the restaurant machine still wasn't working when we left!

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

My English Bank charges 1pound for every transaction I make with my debit card and 4 Pounds for every 300 Euros I withdraw from a cash machine, so begrudge paying commission to Spanish bank as well, it's better now Iceland and Mercadona give you the choice of Sterling or Euros no charges.

Zara's also give you the option to pay in pounds or Euros!

kingbaker
31-03-2013, 21:12
In 2010 I had to get someone to get cash for me, as was in hospital, and the person went
to the 'wrong' bank and I was charged €12 for withdrawing €300.

To transfere a thousand euro from Dublin Bank cost 50 cents............was
charged €30 for Tenerife Bank to 'accept' the lodgement this way. Also they
didn't charge me for it for at least a few weeks.....so it happened three
times before I notice it. :(

Terrynsue
01-04-2013, 19:17
We bank with Lloyds TSB International in Fanabe Plaza, when we need cash we use any bank using the 'servired' system and haven't ever paid any commision, :idea:

slodgedad
01-04-2013, 21:46
I pay some of my bills at the Post Office in the airport and use the Caja Canarias cashpoint to draw funds from my UK account and it always costs a quid from my UK account for overseas transactions.

Last week it wasn't working so I used the servired machine at the side of it and it cost me 4.50.

Never again.

Shugstar63
02-04-2013, 09:47
Had a Caja Canarias account, now La Caixa. Try and withdraw money from another ATM.....costs €12 to withdraw €300....may start using a shoebox!

anegib
02-04-2013, 10:17
I was under the impression that if you go to an ATM machine here in Tenerife and it has the sign Servi Red that it meant you do not pay extra for the privelege!!

kingbaker
02-04-2013, 10:26
As far as I can gather,if you withdraw money from your own bank, there's no charge
but do it from another then you can get SCREWED.:angry:

Suej
02-04-2013, 10:28
If I use a Servired machine I will be charged but if I use my own Bank or a machine that supports my bank it is free!

primrose
02-04-2013, 17:22
Just used my English Bank Card at Banca March and there was no Commission.

Suej
02-04-2013, 17:30
Just used my English Bank Card at Banca March and there was no Commission.

I am with Banca March and they do have a branch in the UK in London! I wonder if that is why there was no commission?

primrose
02-04-2013, 17:39
I am with Banca March and they do have a branch in the UK in London! I wonder if that is why there was no commission?

Don't know but I hope it carries on like that, and also seem to get a bit better rate with them.

Suej
02-04-2013, 17:41
Don't know but I hope it carries on like that, and also seem to get a bit better rate with them.

I agree primrose! I transfer pounds over from UK to Banca March now as the exchange rate is always higher!

Red Devil
02-04-2013, 21:13
I have a 321 current account with Santander in Uk and providing I use a Santander cash machine in Canaries for the withdrawal, using my debit card, it is completely free and it is usually about two cents higher than the rate in exchange shops.
I only found that out this last winter and it has made things so much easier as I always used to bring a bundle of sterling to exchange in Tenerife. Now I can just draw cash as and when I need it.

slodgedad
03-04-2013, 01:19
After reading all the comments on this thread I don't think there is a definitve answer, unfortunately.

Some of the recommendations on here have charged me and some haven't.

As I have said before there are only 2 that don't charge my Lloyds bank debit card are CajaCanarias and Solbank.

The only charge I get is a 1 pound overseas transaction charge from Lloyds.

kingbaker
03-04-2013, 05:46
I think that there are/were two Cajas.
1. 'Caja Canarias'.
2. 'La Caja de Canarias'
Not sure what's now happening with Bankia. :confused:

KirstyJay
06-04-2013, 20:22
I think that there are/were two Cajas.
1. 'Caja Canarias'.
2. 'La Caja de Canarias'
Not sure what's now happening with Bankia. :confused:Caja Canarias' full trading name is actually Caja de Ahorro de Canarias and is now La Caixa. Their sign is mostly blue. La Caja de Canarias is a Gran Canarian bank, and the sign is yellow and blue.

Halli
29-04-2013, 11:55
Same here CB!!! that's why I made sure that the Boss knew in the restaurant! I wonder how many other customers got caught the same way last night as there isn't another bank in walking distance! the restaurant machine still wasn't working when we left!

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Zara's also give you the option to pay in pounds or Euros!
Be careful with shops etc that offer to take payment in pounds. It is very likely that the exchange rate they use to convert their euro price into sterling is very poor compared to what you can get locally. If you are given the option to pay in sterling ask for the rate they will use.

Halli

bonitatime
29-04-2013, 12:05
The machine actually offers the option it is nothing to do with the shops. I dont mention it as explaining can be more complicated than its worth?

Suej
29-04-2013, 12:43
The machine actually offers the option it is nothing to do with the shops. I dont mention it as explaining can be more complicated than its worth?
I don't know about other shops but our friend always uses his UK card in Zara's when he's over here and the amount is debited directly from his account as pounds...No exchange rate is shown on his statement. http://www.postsmile.net/img/20/2087.gif

bonitatime
29-04-2013, 21:41
This is why i dont offer it as I cant explain
The rate is set by the bank and will be deducted in pounds
My understanding talking to the bank is if they pay in euros it will display the rate but i am not sure thats true

Suej
30-04-2013, 11:11
This is why i dont offer it as I cant explain
The rate is set by the bank and will be deducted in pounds
My understanding talking to the bank is if they pay in euros it will display the rate but i am not sure thats true

My mate comes over this week! I'll have to ask him what they charge him on his UK card... if the price is different in pounds from what it is on the price tickets in Euros! I know in UK Zara's is more expensive! Hmmmm!http://www.postsmile.net/img/20/2072.gif Sorry I seem to be rambling a bit now!

golf birdie
30-04-2013, 11:19
My mate comes over this week! I'll have to ask him what they charge him on his UK card... if the price is different in pounds from what it is on the price tickets in Euros! I know in UK Zara's is more expensive! Hmmmm!http://www.postsmile.net/img/20/2072.gif Sorry I seem to be rambling a bit now!

they get you whichever way you do it. I buy a lot from the UK and my Spanish bank card gives me an terrible rate and then has the cheek to also charge a commission for converting the currency:confused: I really need to sort out a UK card, anyone know how I could get one as it seems impossible to me:confused:

Suej
30-04-2013, 11:24
they get you whichever way you do it. I buy a lot from the UK and my Spanish bank card gives me an terrible rate and then has the cheek to also charge a commission for converting the currency:confused: I really need to sort out a UK card, anyone know how I could get one as it seems impossible to me:confused:

Do you have a UK bank account gb? shouldn't be a problem getting a debit/credit card! http://www.postsmile.net/img/20/2087.gif

golf birdie
30-04-2013, 11:51
Do you have a UK bank account gb? shouldn't be a problem getting a debit/credit card! http://www.postsmile.net/img/20/2087.gif

no, only building societies which gives LINK cards which are worse than hopeless:(