PDA

View Full Version : Other My apartment has been cancelled. Have I been scammed?

blackers
31-03-2013, 19:14
Hi guys, wonder if you can help. We booked an apartment in olympus/garden city via homeaway lettings in january to stay 6th - 20th april. Had an email from the guy this afternoon basically saying that he's had to cancel but can't refund my money until july, Have i been scammed?

Thanks in advance

essexeddie
31-03-2013, 19:31
Thats a bit odd. Should have a reason.
Thats the sort of attitude that gets bad reports of the area.
You will have a job now getting a replacement booking.

blackers
31-03-2013, 19:41
This is the reply i had from him earlier:

company home away
I eliminated the page
Yesterday I finished the activity
Today he left last customer
a refund, please write to the home away.
home away if you do not give money I'll do returns in July
very sorry for the situation
recover the money by July

Red Devil
31-03-2013, 19:50
This is the reply i had from him earlier:

company home away
I eliminated the page
Yesterday I finished the activity
Today he left last customer
a refund, please write to the home away.
home away if you do not give money I'll do returns in July
very sorry for the situation
recover the money by July
That reply makes no sense at all and no it simply isnt acceptable that he holds onto any money for any period of time.
If you paid by credit card you might be covered by your bank but in any case I would be on to HomeAway shouting long and hard, they wont want the bad publicity and should do all they can to help you but you need a few answers, such as has this guy withdrawn his advert with them, do they have his full contact details etc?
I really feel for you, that is just not on - its bad enough your holiday being cancelled at such short notice but to not give you an instant full refund is despicable. Good luck, can you not name and shame the man? Someone on here might know a few things about him.

blackers
31-03-2013, 19:54
I paid by bank transfer, the account was held at satander in san eugenio. I can assure you i will be ringing HomeAway at 9am sharp when they open on tuesday (already sent an email). Dealt through them lots of times in the past and never had the trouble, just gutted at the moment.

Red Devil
31-03-2013, 19:57
Was it a private ad in HomeAway do you know, have you dealt with him before and do you have his full contact details? Paying it into the Canarian bank sounds as though the guy lives in Tenerife?

blackers
31-03-2013, 19:58
Never dealt with this guy but yes it was a private ad i think. With the bank account thats why it seemed genuine, i'm just getting details up now

Red Devil
31-03-2013, 20:02
Never dealt with this guy but yes it was a private ad i think. With the bank account thats why it seemed genuine, i'm just getting details up now
Try to find an address or name to give out, its amazing what people on this forum manage to find out or know already!
Its a bit quiet on here at the moment, prob due to bank holiday but sure by tomorrow there will be people rallying round for you. Good luck

AL JAY
31-03-2013, 20:07
Just had a look at their site,they seem to be a pretty big lettings company,they have a facilty to either use a Property manager or a private owner but some of their prices seem a bit steep!

Operator and owner of the site
HomeAway UK Ltd
Portland House
Bressenden Place
London
SW1E 5BH
Registered no. 3152676
Vat no. 673 2533 34

Telephone: 020 8827 1971
Fax: 020 3031 1021
Email: click here

Company Directors

Carl G. Shepherd
Rebecca L. Atchison
Brian H. Sharples

Copy & Pasted via google...Good luck hope you get sorted out ok

marbro8
31-03-2013, 20:09
Never dealt with this guy but yes it was a private ad i think. With the bank account thats why it seemed genuine, i'm just getting details up nowsounds like they have either double booked or they have been caught up in the illegal letting clampdown??? have you had a look at booking some where else, because i presume your flights are still booked? all the best:wink: just had a look it says it is timeshare?

casabonny
31-03-2013, 20:14
It's not bank holiday here tommorrow so you could contact them then . I would say that this sounds fishy but I assume that the bank transfer you made was done with all the relevant details ie account name, branch, concepto address etc. Surely this would be a starting point but in the meantime make some enquiries on here regarding availability of other apartments. I think member Loaded will probably be your best bet, why don't you send him a Pm?

Red Devil
31-03-2013, 20:23
Would think Yound Golfer might be a better bet as Loaded is in Los Cris for Paloma Beach and YG has office quite near where you were going to stay.
If the name/address you have given is the name of the owner someone might just know him, also just seen he is advertising his apt 603 on Flipkey.com but strangely enough hasnt updated anything since 11th Dec and shows the whole year as available on his online calendar!

blackers
31-03-2013, 21:42
Starting to think i've been done over here!! Well hopefully i will get to stay in another apartment in the complex and i will give 603 a knock to see if anyone is staying there (might be able to give me some details etc)

9PLUS
31-03-2013, 21:56
Is Homeaway the Sole Agent?

Loaded
31-03-2013, 22:03
There's rules on this sort of thing if its on a legal tourist complex .... The registered agent is legally obligated to find you similar accommodation nearby of the same or better standard and compensate you for lost holiday time .

Is this ah avenue you can explore?

blackers
31-03-2013, 22:06
HomeAway are just an advertising board though i'm guessing, i will be on the phone to them on tuesday don't you worry...

9PLUS
31-03-2013, 22:10
I hope everything goes well for you, remember booking direct via the complexes sole agent is the best route for next time.

blackers
31-03-2013, 22:15
Thanks 9PLUS, never normally have trouble and stayed in various apartments in the area 6 or 7 times now, friends and family have also done loads of times...

blackers
01-04-2013, 10:16
Still waiting for replies back on potential apartments, can any of you guys help us out? Looking for an apartment that will sleep 3 adults 1 child, preferably with a cot but not essential..

doreen
01-04-2013, 11:06
Just had a look at their site,they seem to be a pretty big lettings company,they have a facilty to either use a Property manager or a private owner but some of their prices seem a bit steep!

Operator and owner of the site
HomeAway UK Ltd
Portland House
Bressenden Place
London
SW1E 5BH
Registered no. 3152676
Vat no. 673 2533 34

Telephone: 020 8827 1971
Fax: 020 3031 1021
Email: click here

Is Homeaway the Sole Agent?

HomeAway is one of the major agencies, along with Holiday Lettings and Owners Direct ... they do have this page

http://www.homeaway.co.uk/info/holidayrentals/security-centre?Holidaymakers

- if you used their payments method, they give a refund ... unfortunately, the OP made a bank transfer

blackers
01-04-2013, 11:26
Thanks doreen but it is looking more and more like i've become a victim to fraud, just hope i can find another apartment at this short notice. I'll have to contact the police perhaps to persue anything.

marbro8
01-04-2013, 13:11
Thanks doreen but it is looking more and more like i've become a victim to fraud, just hope i can find another apartment at this short notice. I'll have to contact the police perhaps to persue anything.i know just how you feel mate:(, i just hope it won't spoil your hols and you get somewhere sorted soon good luck;)

blackers
01-04-2013, 13:26
Sorted, got somewhere to stay now....many thanks to Deanna at Garden City..

KirstyJay
06-04-2013, 20:12
Have you managed to get any more info about recovering your original booking money?

callaopam
07-04-2013, 14:39
If its any use to you, I have friends with property on Garden City, and they have been told they can no longer let their apartment privately - they have to use the onsite office and their cleaners for a shed load of money. So some owners have withdrawn their properties for rent sooner than be held to ransome.
Hopefully when the new law is published it will ratify that the onsite sole agent is an unworkable solution and we can get back to some normality.

9PLUS
07-04-2013, 14:45
If its any use to you, I have friends with property on Garden City, and they have been told they can no longer let their apartment privately - they have to use the onsite office and their cleaners for a shed load of money. So some owners have withdrawn their properties for rent sooner than be held to ransome.
Hopefully when the new law is published it will ratify that the onsite sole agent is an unworkable solution and we can get back to some normality.

Remember that is just callaopamhands opinion and is in no way legal advice.

Loaded
07-04-2013, 16:20

The draft law doesn't have any "ratification" of the sole agent system either way - its not even in discussion up there.

Balcony
07-04-2013, 17:22
Their site also gives a tel no. +44 (0)208 827 1971 and says they open at 8am

ossygobbin
30-04-2013, 23:06
Thanks doreen but it is looking more and more like i've become a victim to fraud, just hope i can find another apartment at this short notice. I'll have to contact the police perhaps to persue anything.

hi, was the owner Jacek Bielawski ?, he screwed me and my son out of £750. he changed our apartment the day before we were flying to a dump. we tried to get our money back to book somewhere else but no luck.we used a credit card thru paypal. bank didnt want to know because it went thru paypal, paypal didnt want to know because it wasnt something tangible.the guy said he had sold the garden city apartment but was still advertising it months later. he wouldnt refund us anything even tho we didnt stay at his dump, we booked something else while we were out there.. good luck mate.

penelope pitstop
02-05-2013, 18:45
I do feel for these people as it seems to occur too often. We lived in Tenerife or 8 yrs & there were numerous stories that went around about this sort of thing. Now been back in the UK for 4 yrs but visit twice a year now & ALWAYS stay in an hotel. We find it cheaper to be honest.

I hope they manage to catch up with this con-man & he gets reported & fined & they get their refund.

slodgedad
03-05-2013, 00:02
I know this off topic but this is one of the reasons (I don't agree with it though) that the sole agent fiasco started in the first place.

Loaded
03-05-2013, 19:28
I know this off topic but this is one of the reasons (I don't agree with it though) that the sole agent fiasco started in the first place.

Beats 100000 x this fiasco which is what was going on regularly in the 80s and early 90s

Deanna
23-06-2013, 09:31
I was happy to be able to help. This does seem either a scam or an ad hoc person letting out for an apartment they do not actually own. This has now happened for this aparticular apartment at least 3 times to my knoweldge. To explain about Club Olympus/Garden City. Club Olympus is the time share part of the complex (about one quarter of the apartments) the otherthree quarters are owned privately. We share all the same faciliities like pool etc and the complex is well run and friendly. Many private owners rent their apartments out completely legitimately and there are very few problems. But there are always sammers around so it does pay to be careful. Sites like Home Away, Holiday Lettings, Owners Direct etc take adverts but to be fair they do not know if they are scammers advertising - but they soon withdrawn the advert if problems arise. All these sites show how long an advertiser has been advertising on a site to it is best to go with someone who has been advertising a few years and you can read reviews going back a few years. If a new advertiser just be a bit more careful - check them out. Home Away is usually a good site as if you pay via the site you are covered if the apartment does exist. But it is still best to book through someone who has been advertising for a while and who has reviews or who is traceable and has a track record.

shutch66
11-07-2013, 05:19
Hi guys, wonder if you can help. We booked an apartment in olympus/garden city via homeaway lettings in january to stay 6th - 20th april. Had an email from the guy this afternoon basically saying that he's had to cancel but can't refund my money until july, Have i been scammed?

Thanks in advance
Hi

this has kind of happened to me?? I have paid 200 euros deposit for room 603 due to fly out next week!!!
and now he is not responding to any emails.. luckily I have been offered another apt by Deanna at garden city.. but lost the money

It is so annoying .. I saw the advert on homeaway rentals?? shouldn't they vet the people the let advertise on their sites??

I am very angry that we have all been used in this way? while someone just sits and gets rich quick? what is to stop everyone starting to offer things they donet DONT actually own if there is no reprise?

Deanna
11-07-2013, 08:11
I am pleased to be able to help out again. I don't think this guy actually owns number 603. I would recommend anyone check out the adverts on the internet as it usually says how long the advertiser has been advertising and choose an advertiser who has been advertising over a year (hopefully much more). The sites will remove adverts if they get complaints of any cons. Would also rcommend getting the advertisers home address so you have some come back (although I suppose the serious scammers could give a false address). Luckily, these things happen rarely but it is always horrible for those who get scammed.

I notice you booked via homeaway - if you pay and book via their site they offer a compensation scheme but I think this scammer was clever and got you to pay into his bank account so you would not be covered. I presume his advert has now been removed?

9PLUS
11-07-2013, 10:19
Hi

this has kind of happened to me?? I have paid 200 euros deposit for room 603 due to fly out next week!!!
and now he is not responding to any emails.. luckily I have been offered another apt by Deanna at garden city.. but lost the money

It is so annoying .. I saw the advert on homeaway rentals?? shouldn't they vet the people the let advertise on their sites??

I am very angry that we have all been used in this way? while someone just sits and gets rich quick? what is to stop everyone starting to offer things they donet DONT actually own if there is no reprise?

Not answering emails may not mean he has scammed you. I would check it out when you arrive.

If it is a scam please do us a favor, report it to the reception and the "National Police" and bring all your information with you ie booking forms, bank transfer/paypal etc the guys email/website etc etc

Balcony
11-07-2013, 12:01
Certainly these type of people need to be dobbed in to the police and tax authorities. They just reply on your reluctance to report it, because you are embarrassed! Don't get mad, get even.

Deanna
11-07-2013, 16:12
This guy has done this 5 times that I know about so presumably many more and I believe he has been reported. One group went to the apartment when they arrived and found people staying there who knew nothing about it. The community/reception is aware and I know at least one couple have gone to the Police about it over there. I really hope something can be done as this sort o thing can ruin it for all the genuine owners who rent out their properties.

shutch66
11-07-2013, 16:19
Would think Yound Golfer might be a better bet as Loaded is in Los Cris for Paloma Beach and YG has office quite near where you were going to stay.
If the name/address you have given is the name of the owner someone might just know him, also just seen he is advertising his apt 603 on Flipkey.com but strangely enough hasnt updated anything since 11th Dec and shows the whole year as available on his online calendar!

that's the exact apartment I have been ripped off with too:devil: room 603 garden city - free transfers etc

so annoyed - I paid deposit via paypal who aren't interested as it was over 45 days ago and this was through the home away rentals letting agency.. I assumed STUPIDLY that they would vet adverts? surely you would have to prove you had something befre advertising it? or else whats to stop this continuing??
they contacted me in march stating ath he ahd removed advert .. I then contacted him nand he referred me onot flip ley website and ais he didn't get on with home away (they were charging too much) the cheek???

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

I am almost certain that I have been ripped off - the same apartment 603 garden city and jacek bielaowski the alleged owner has been mentioned in this thread several times!!

tracybee67
17-07-2013, 10:37
Yet another victim here

I booked for a week - 2/7/13 - 9/7/13. Advertised on HomeAway, I stumped up 100 euro deposit way back in Sept. 13 - Only on 8/4/13 did HomeAway start alarm bells ringing by saying the advert had been withdrawn. I contact Jacek (Apartament Teneryfa) and he gave me a convincing sob story saying he'd been in hospital, he even had the cheek to tell me to sleep peacefully, everything was ok - guess what I never heard from him again and he wasn't there to pick us up from the airport! (as advertised)

So I had to fork out for another apartment (thanks Deanna) and a transfer. I'd rather flush my money down the loo than pay it out to a scheming con man.

When we got to Garden City - Reception knew all about the apt. 603 scam - they informed us there was a three inch file on the guy and the police were on the look-out for him. God willing Jacek B... will get what he deserves!!

Think I'll be a lot more wary when booking accommodation on websites such as HomeAway from now on and I'll pay using a credit card - at least you'll get your money back if this sort of fiasco happens again.

Thanks for listening

blackers
14-10-2014, 20:53
Hi guys, not been on for a while and sorry to bring up an old thread. Whilst over there i did go to the police and spent about 2 hours going through it all. Never heard anything sinc though, sorry to hear about everyone else that were also conned (i was lucky and realised before we got there) A big thanks to deanna who sorted us apartments at such short notice!!!