PDA

View Full Version : Relocation Will I survive in Tenerife?

Redips
02-04-2013, 13:04
For the past six or seven years I have been backwards and forwards on holidays to Tenerife, some times for up to six weeks
and other times for a week or so, I travel alone or with one or both of my sons both of who are in their early twenties.
I was last in Tenerife in January and will be returning in June when I intend to stay for several weeks.
In two years I plan to relocate to Tenerife on a permanent basis (early retirement) but having read so many negative
comments on the forum I would like your advise as to my relocations viability.
I have a property here in the UK which I will retain. I also have investments in the UK which I will leave if I am allowed.
I intend to rent on the island, nothing flash, two bedroom apartment say 90M sq, I like Chayofa and villages the same sort of distance from
L.C. and L.A. I will have a monthly income of around £3000.00 I will need a car, however I don't lead an extravagant lifestyle but do like to
enjoy myself, I play golf, like to eat out about one meal a day and spend some time writing novels.
I am happy in the UK but can no longer stand the cold, winter started here at the end of September and is still going on.
My questions, should I stay here and holiday frequently in Tenerife, am I making any obvious errors from what you have read so far.
There is always that nagging doubt.
Thanks in anticipation.

golf birdie
02-04-2013, 13:13
For the past six or seven years I have been backwards and forwards on holidays to Tenerife, some times for up to six weeks
and other times for a week or so, I travel alone or with one or both of my sons both of who are in their early twenties.
I was last in Tenerife in January and will be returning in June when I intend to stay for several weeks.
In two years I plan to relocate to Tenerife on a permanent basis (early retirement) but having read so many negative
I have a property here in the UK which I will retain. I also have investments in the UK which I will leave if I am allowed.
I intend to rent on the island, nothing flash, two bedroom apartment say 90M sq, I like Chayofa and villages the same sort of distance from
L.C. and L.A. I will have a monthly income of around £3000.00 I will need a car, however I don't lead an extravagant lifestyle but do like to
enjoy myself, I play golf, like to eat out about one meal a day and spend some time writing novels.
I am happy in the UK but can no longer stand the cold, winter started here at the end of September and is still going on.
My questions, should I stay here and holiday frequently in Tenerife, am I making any obvious errors from what you have read so far.
Thanks in anticipation.

if you have an income of 3k a month you will have no problems. Most who work here have incomes of 1k (euros) or less, so you would be very well off.

universal
02-04-2013, 13:28
Will I survive in Tenerife.....
I should think you would stand a good chance.
As you are not selling up in the U.K. if you get fed up or things don't work out for whatever reason then simply return to Blighty or move on elsewhere.........nothing lost.

caroll72
02-04-2013, 20:56
You've got everything going for you.
A very decent income & property & assets in uk.
Go for it, i say & good luck :wink:

Tickey
02-04-2013, 21:17
Get on a plane NOW :tiphat:

AL JAY
02-04-2013, 21:46
Get on a plane NOW :tiphat:

I agree with Tickey, Why wait 2 years :goodluck::sunburn::reading::cheers2::surfer::suns hine:

Redips
02-04-2013, 21:52
Wish I could but I still have some work commitments here for the next couple of years. But then again who knows what's around the corner, I am the eternal optimist,

marbro8
02-04-2013, 21:58
Thanks in anticipation.i think you already know the answer and you are just making us jealous you jammy gitt;)

Redips
02-04-2013, 22:13
No making people jealous is not in my nature, I feel I do know the answer but I have read so many negative comments on the Forum recently that I thought it would be nice to get a response from Forum members who could make me aware of anything I may have missed. I know a lot of people are struggling in Tenerife and elsewhere in the world, however I have almost done my working life bit and I suppose I was lucky enough to take advantage of working in the boom times, I know I have worked very hard for everything I have but I would never take it for granted. I feel so sorry for all the hard working people in Tenerife and elsewhere in the world who despite their best efforts are still struggling to keep their heads above water. Anyway when I do come out to the Island my little bit of cash I spend on enjoying life in retirement will no doubt help someone.

carpenter
02-04-2013, 22:15
Being Tenerife's No1 skeptic even I say with 3k pcm behind you you're laughing.

Car rental 400€ but you may as well purchase as it's always a buyers market, fuel is dirt cheap and so are taxes and insurance in comparison with the UK.
Villa rental 1000€ pcm but if you only want a 2 bed apartment half that amount.

eating out between 5€ and 50€ per meal
Golf allow maybe 40-50€ a round (cheaper if you join a society)

and don't forget health insurance

all in all for 3k pcm you can live like a queen go for it

KirstyJay
06-04-2013, 20:28
Being Tenerife's No1 skeptic even I say with 3k pcm behind you you're laughing.

Car rental 400€ but you may as well purchase as it's always a buyers market, fuel is dirt cheap and so are taxes and insurance in comparison with the UK.
Villa rental 1000€ pcm but if you only want a 2 bed apartment half that amount.

eating out between 5€ and 50€ per meal
Golf allow maybe 40-50€ a round (cheaper if you join a society)

and don't forget health insurance

all in all for 3k pcm you can live like a queen go for it
I agree. 3k is a phenomenal amount of cahs to have for a monthly income here. Yes, the golf will cut into it a lot, as it's expensive here, and Chayofa isn't the cheapest place to live compared to other locations, but still... 3k is more than enough. 4 person families survive on less.

casabonny
06-04-2013, 20:48
You would have to consider whether you were to become Resident here for tax purposes ( ie spending more than 183 days per year) and obtained a Residencia as this will affect you liabilities to tax in the UK and here if you are fiscally resident here. Changes in the laws happen all the time and what is relevant now may not be in two years time so its hard to give advice on that subject
with the size of income you are likely to have ,financially you will be okay , but you need to consider that if you are here alone it's not always easy to make friends but with your income many will want to be your "friend" for the wrong reasons,I am sure you get my drift there.
If you choose to buy a car then be sure to bring proof of no claims as you can use that here.If you have private medical in the UK., make enquiries to see if this is worldwide ( or at the very least European cover) . If you do not have such cover research some basic private medical with European cover and make sure you start it well before you come.Factor this into your monthly outgoings.

Redips
06-04-2013, 21:01
Thank you casabonny, very constructive advice, I have always been very careful in the choice of my friends and will be in Tenerife, I will have a lot of UK friends visiting and am a fairly outgoing type of person who can usually make friends easily. I will check out the situation on my medical cover and make sure it is all in place. I will also take some advice regarding residency and the tax implications, my bankhave already talked to me about setting up offshore accounts.
I am in the first few weeks of a Spanish adult education course which can last up to and beyond two years, I am finding it very rewarding and great fun, will I notice a bid difference between adult education Spanish and Canarian Spanish?

penelope pitstop
06-04-2013, 23:51
With that sort of income you could lead a very comfortable life in Tenerife. You are making the right decision by keeping your options open in UK.
Enjoy

KirstyJay
07-04-2013, 11:55
will I notice a bid difference between adult education Spanish and Canarian Spanish?the main difference is that the Canarians do not use the Present Perfect tense. They use the Past Simple in place of it. The Peninsulares do use Present Perfect.

For example... If you wanted to say 'I have been to England', A person from Madrid would say 'he ido a inglaterra' whereas a Canarian would say 'fui a inglaterra' which translates as 'I went to England'. There are many other differences, such as pronunciation of C and Z and using different words, but that's quite a biggie. I doubt you'll be learning past tenses for a while though if you're just starting out. :)

Redips
07-04-2013, 12:03
Thanks KirstyJay, I will mention this to my tutor who is originally from Madrid but has been in the UK now for several years, I do know that she has visited the Tenerife.