PDA

View Full Version : How do I get my NIE once I get to Tenerife?

cherry73
02-04-2013, 21:25
Totally bamboozled by all the conflicting advice on NIE's, and how to obtain them!! Anyone have a definitive answer or have or know someone who has recently obtained one. Many thanks in advance:crazy:

casabonny
03-04-2013, 17:55
To obtain an NIE you must go to the National police station in Las Americas with your passort and photocopy, completed solicitud and have paid the modelo 790( obtained from the national police office).I think and NIE only is between 9 and 10 euros, not sure of the exact amount.
You have to declare on the form why you are asking for this ie purchase of a property /car, work etc

Muppet
03-04-2013, 18:33
Once you have a number and the bit of paper the next stage depends on your plans. If you intend to stay over 3 months then you are "required" to "renew your NIE at that point where it is magically transformed into a registry certificate.

Here comes the problem though. You may be asked to provide proof that you have a "legal" job - i.e. proper contract, and that your employer is paying your Social Security payments. If you are not working (and with unemployment at 35% that is more likely), you will need to provide proof you have private medical cover, and may well be required to show your most recent Spanish bank statement to demonstrate you can support yourself. Rumour has it they are looking for around 5,000 euro.

Forum member Goldenmaniac can assist and advise you on the regulations which do change almost daily ! PM her

More info here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXWZ3uAEKsw

Horsedrawn
04-04-2013, 14:40
We picked up our NIE numbers this week from the police station in Playa Americas. It was needed to buy a property andty and the estate agent helped us with the forms. The main downside was that i arrived there at 9.30am and still had to wait 3 hours to be seen. It may have just been a busy week or that may be normal?

Goldenmaniac
04-04-2013, 14:54
We picked up our NIE numbers this week from the police station in Playa Americas. It was needed to buy a property andty and the estate agent helped us with the forms. The main downside was that i arrived there at 9.30am and still had to wait 3 hours to be seen. It may have just been a busy week or that may be normal?
Queues are lengthening again, probably because some of the restrictions for eastern europeans have been lifted from January: Arrived at 8.15 yesterday and was completed by 9.45. The later you arrive the wait gets exponentially longer.

Have a look here for specifics http://www.diana-mcglone.com/#residencia

cherry73
04-04-2013, 19:10
thank you all so.much. Horsedrawn, what ID and paperwork did you need to complete the process? :cheeky:

Pooh
04-04-2013, 20:25
thank you all so.much. Horsedrawn, what ID and paperwork did you need to complete the process? :cheeky:

If you follow the link Goldenmaniac gave you, it gives you all the specifics, with up to date information.
She is the real expert, and works professionally with this daily.

Horsedrawn
05-04-2013, 08:52
thank you all so.much. Horsedrawn, what ID and paperwork did you need to complete the process? :cheeky: The estate agent provided the forms for us and we took our passports. We paid the fee at the bank before going to the station so the forms were stamped as paid. The info on the form is mainly d.o.b,address etc and for some reason my fathers first name!

SparklySkies
21-09-2013, 18:02
So I'm planning on getting my N.I.E. number next week. Still slightly confused about the procedure.

So as I understand it, I need to collect the 'form' from the police office, fill it in and get it stamped by / and pay the fee at a bank, and then return to the police office to submit it...? Does this mean 2 very early lengthy visits to the police office?? :-(

Is it possible to get the form from elsewhere (download?), visit a bank to pay etc and just go once to the police office when everything is ready?

P.S. Do I need a passport sized photo taken and if so, anybody know where I can get this done in or around Costa Adeje?

Thanks

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

So I'm planning on getting my N.I.E. number next week. Still slightly confused about the procedure.

So as I understand it, I need to collect the 'form' from the police office, fill it in and get it stamped by / and pay the fee at a bank, and then return to the police office to submit it...? Does this mean 2 very early lengthy visits to the police office?? :-(

Is it possible to get the form from elsewhere (download?), visit a bank to pay etc and just go once to the police office when everything is ready?

P.S. Do I need a passport sized photo taken and if so, anybody know where I can get this done in or around Costa Adeje?

Thanks

TOPGUN77
21-09-2013, 19:01
We moved here 3 months ago got the forms from the police station,filled them out then of to the bank to pay the fees,return to police station hand forms back with passport got the stamped forms with NIE numbers all done and dusted with in 3 hours.

cherry73
21-09-2013, 20:07
Thanks topgun77. we are just in the process of planning our move. So many variables! 2 adults 2 kids and a dog. do we fly and get a container or drive with our own car. do we import our car or buy one???? ahhh..we are flying over in nov to secure a rental accom in playa san juan. Can I ask how you guys went about moving? any advice very much appreciated :-)

TOPGUN77
22-09-2013, 11:06
My advice is sell everything with the cost of getting it out here plus the risk of goods being damaged,i heard some right horror stories so we bought everything new out here.Same agan with the car the cost of getting it over here plus changing the plates is very expensive.
We bought a property out here there are bargains to be had,you can pick up apartments for as little as 30,000 euro there are so many bank reposed properties so its a buyers market.

My advice is sell everything with the cost of getting it out here plus the risk of goods being damaged,i heard some right horror stories so we bought everything new out here.Same agan with the car the cost of getting it over here plus changing the plates is very expensive.
We bought a property out here there are bargains to be had,you can pick up apartments for as little as 30,000 euro there are so many bank reposed properties so its a buyers market.

cherry73
22-09-2013, 12:07
Thanks. we are only bringing personnal effects hence putting it all in the car. Since researching though we realises how much of a nightmare bringing the car is! We are going to rent initially to make sure the kids get on at the school? we will move schools if we have to but Im hoping it wont be a problem :-)

TOPGUN77
22-09-2013, 12:24
Thanks. we are only bringing personnal effects hence putting it all in the car. Since researching though we realises how much of a nightmare bringing the car is! We are going to rent initially to make sure the kids get on at the school? we will move schools if we have to but Im hoping it wont be a problem :-)

I was going to bring my TRD2000GT over here ,it was going to cost me £1900 to be put in a container then on top of that dock handling fees,import duties plus getting it through there IVT would have been a night mare as the car was highly modified,plus I was told to get the car on Spanish plates can cost up to £3000,just not worth the hassle involved.

I was going to bring my TRD2000GT over here ,it was going to cost me £1900 to be put in a container then on top of that dock handling fees,import duties plus getting it through there IVT would have been a night mare as the car was highly modified,plus I was told to get the car on Spanish plates can cost up to £3000,just not worth the hassle involved.

Biker
04-10-2013, 09:51
Once you have a number and the bit of paper the next stage depends on your plans. If you intend to stay over 3 months then you are "required" to "renew your NIE at that point where it is magically transformed into a registry certificate.

Here comes the problem though. You may be asked to provide proof that you have a "legal" job - i.e. proper contract, and that your employer is paying your Social Security payments. If you are not working (and with unemployment at 35% that is more likely), you will need to provide proof you have private medical cover, and may well be required to show your most recent Spanish bank statement to demonstrate you can support yourself. Rumour has it they are looking for around 5,000 euro.

Forum member Goldenmaniac can assist and advise you on the regulations which do change almost daily ! PM her

More info here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXWZ3uAEKsw

Is that 5000 euro in your bank account or are you saying you need 5000 euro per month?

Goldenmaniac
04-10-2013, 15:35
Is that 5000 euro in your bank account or are you saying you need 5000 euro per month? 5300 euros per person in total See info here http://www.diana-mcglone.com/#residencia

SparklySkies
18-10-2013, 15:31
Hi, to help any new people arriving here is information on the best way to get your N.I.E. number:

1. Call in the Police Station at PDLA before 2pm weekday to collect the forms. Just tell the officer its your first time applying for an N.I.E. and they should give you the 2 forms. They should explain to you that the second form needs to be filled in and taken to ANY bank to be stamped by paying a fee.

2. Fill in the second form, take it into any bank, pay the fee (just under 10 Euros) and get the form stamped.

3. The next day (weekday only) arrive VERY early at the police station. It can take a long time. We arrived at 7.50am and didn't get seen until 10.45am. You are made to wait outside until about 8.30am before they let you in to queue properly. Make sure people don't rock up at 8.25am and casually push in the vague queue that will have formed - this happened to us, very annoying.

You will need:
- the completed application form
-the completed second form that you had stamped by the bank
-your passport
-1 photocopy of your passport

(you do not need to take any passport photos)

3. Once let inside the station you queue to see a member of staff, when they see your forms and documents in order you get given a number. You sit down and WAIT.

4. Once your number is called (called in Spanish) and number boards not always working. So be aware. You sit down at a desk with an officer (ours didn't speak to us at all) he takes about 8 minutes to do something on his computer and then he gives you an official letter with your N.I.E. number on. Hey presto, your done.

(We found it easier doing it over 2 days as once given the forms you have to go away, fill them in and go to a bank, once returned on the same day, the queue is going to be enormous!!!)

Hope this helps somebody :-)

kathml
18-10-2013, 20:23
A couple of weeks ago they handed no numbers out after 8.30 were told to go away and come back another day as it was needed for next day (sale)was unable to do this ended up in Santa Cruz where I was told that number and paper I was issued with 22years before was still valid as it Had no expiry date on it while new ones are only valid for three months or at least paper is numbers valid forever