PDA

View Full Version : Other What's it like in Los Cristianos at Christmas?

beth3735
05-04-2013, 12:05
Hi all, I am after some advice please about Tenerife at Christmas time.

We have been to Los Cristianos twice in May and we all fell in love with the place! (would move over if we could guarantee jobs :laugh: ) But next year we are thinking of missing our May holiday and going Christmas eve till New years eve.

Can anyone let me know whether there will be places open to eat during Christmas day? Also is the weather generally warm enough for typical brits to enjoy sunbathing?

Also travel company is wanting to charge £47 for the 5 of us on transfers from south airport to Los Cristianos, im wondering whether it will be cheaper for a 5 person taxi or even a normal bus please? We are 2 adults and 3 children.

Thank you :) can't wait to get it booked in Nov this year!

bonitatime
05-04-2013, 15:35
Normal bus is about 3€ Per. Pax
Christmas is great and the weather is usually fine. Not as good as may but still a lot better than the UK
Loads of places are open to eat.

onelegnofeet
05-04-2013, 16:43
Hi Beth ,we spent Christmas Day 2012 to 15th January 2013 in PDLA ,A few overcast days but still warm the rest where 25/28 degrees .However night times where blinking freezing !! I had to buy a jumper and a scarf wore a shirt and coat too ! Maybe it felt colder because of the day time temps .Everywhere was open , a few offering a festive fare dinner closed once sittings where over but the rest where open as per normal .Boxing Day well thats not really a celebration day in tenerife so most where back to normal .
Usual thing apply's for Christmas day ,bookings and the best places all fill quickly .We went to escape the "Turkey " and more so the "Sprouts" !!! We ended up in our now favourite Chinese ( since the waitress asked if i " Wanted Extras" ...sadly it was food !!)...
New year we spent in VIVOS listening to the fantastic Marc Craig ,it was a whole 5 euros entry fee which you actually got back with a party pack and the first drink (whatever you wanted) was free .A brilliant night ,however some friends who joined us later had been to their regular bar first and wont return as their son like me only has a coke was charged 9 euros when normally its only 2.25 euros .On speaking to others a few bars had done the same ,so do pick where you go carefully and possibly check prior .
Taxi ...you can get one straight outside the airport ,and the controller will call you a five seater if theres not one already there .Normally approx 25 euros plus a tad more if late flights etc .Using a taxi your in and off arriving 20 mins later in Los Cris .
with transfers it could be much longer dropping off others on route ,or even waiting for them to turn up ...so for me its taxi everytime .
Also a member here on TF.Org " DoingOk" has a link to a good company so hopefully he will post it for you

ribuck
05-04-2013, 17:22
... is the weather generally warm enough for typical brits to enjoy sunbathing?
You won't be on the beach every day, but most days will be really nice for sunbathing.

I really like the New Years Eve party in the streets - bring twelve grapes each to eat at midnight. Also bear in mind that there will be another public holiday on or near 6th January for Three Kings Day.

There will be enough places open to eat on holiday days. Some hotels provide a special banquet on New Years Eve or Christmas Eve, but with a large compulsory charge, so be aware of that when booking.

beth3735
05-04-2013, 18:39
Thank you all for your replies, really helpful advice. I am a freezer, so can see me needing scarf and gloves in the night too maybe ;)

We are going to avoid the typical christmas dinner too, and will probably end up in one of our fave resturants on the front at Playa la vista beach if its open to have a normal meal, just glad they will be open.

Onelegnofeet, thank you for the prices on taxis, we did Thomsons transfers for past 2 years and 1st time took nearly an hour, 2nd time wasn't so bad. But would be greatful to just jump in a taxi this time. We are going to be spending enough to just spend the Christmas week there, we may as well pay that little bit more for taxi.

ribuck thanks for the heads up about the buffet costs, I will keep my eye open for them :) We hope to do at least 1 sunny day at the beach just for a typical photo of sunbathing with a santa hat on the kids, just to tease their grandparents when we get home!

I can't wait to book, missing out on Tenerife this year as we all as a family feel like we are missing out on a fantastic holiday! We ended up booking Menorca, but will definatly be sticking with Tenerife for a while i think.

slodgedad
06-04-2013, 01:19
Thank you all for your replies, really helpful advice. I am a freezer, so can see me needing scarf and gloves in the night too maybe ;)

As OLNF says it's not cold at night (16 to 18) but it feels cold as it has been so warm during the day.

People that arrive at night can't believe how warm it is on the first night and are then surprised how cold they feel the next.

9PLUS
06-04-2013, 02:21
snowing............

onelegnofeet
06-04-2013, 07:40
I see long sentences are still your thing 9 plus !
I hope offering this link isnt against forum rules or causes annoyance to some of the members here .Its for the restaurants that tier up in the San Telmo area from Playa Las Vistas.
http://www.ccsantelmo.com/eng/shops.hml
My favourites up there are Habib ( Lebonese) SlowBoat2 (Chinese ) but my favourite of favourites is The WaterMelon

9PLUS
06-04-2013, 08:01
......................teideski (http://www.teideski.com/)

welshman
06-04-2013, 10:34
Been out in Tenerife for Christmas and New Year for the last 14 years. Its fantastic you can have a relaxing break or be out every night to bars and shows. The weather was kind this year cold in the nights, but quite warm in the day. New years night in the los Cristianos with the bands playing and people dancing in the street its great. If your lucky enough to be able to stay to see the three kings don,t miss it its great for children. I don't think you will be disappointed

golfcrazy
09-04-2013, 21:35
take the bus every half hour to the bus station to los cris. avoid christmas unless you dont mind paying top whack for everything. they dont need an excuse to rip u off in tenerife

beth3735
10-04-2013, 07:11
We are not too fussed whether they try and rip us off at Christmas time, tbh when we are on holiday as long as we have enough spends, its just like spending monopoly money. Thats 1 reason why i love a holiday. Its the only time we can not worry about pennies :)
Definatly not going to pay for transfers unless they are thrown in free with who ever we book with, doesn't seem worth it when you know this distance from airport to resort.

Just waiting till Oct/Nov for the flights to come out now :)

Kinney61
10-04-2013, 13:01
We have just booked our flights with Easy Jet, they opened up the winter flights last week.

beth3735
10-04-2013, 13:04
We aren't going till 2014, I take it you mean 2013? Would be fab if they gave us this long to get them booked and paid for :) Would of done Tenerife this Christmas but can't get the time off :( Gutted lol

Kinney61
10-04-2013, 13:19
Sorry! Yes - we are going Christmas 2013.... price not as high as we expected.

golfcrazy
10-04-2013, 16:30
beth flights will be no cheaper in oct/nov so you can book them now, my mate goes every year around 21st/22nd/23rd and pays £400+ ,return i usually book them for him