PDA

View Full Version : Unemployment falls in Spain for the month of March 2013

Canarian Weekly
05-04-2013, 12:10
THE number of unemployed in Spain has fallen in Spain for the month of March. Nationally registered unemployment fell by 4,979 people in March from the previous month, bringing the total number of unemployed to 5,035,243 unemployed, bolstered by the jobs in the service sector for Easter no doubt.
The Ministry of Employment highlighted that the reduction in March is the first of its kind since 2008 and contrasts “significantly” with the data of March 2012, when unemployment rose by 38,769 people.
However, on-year unemployment the figure has increased by 284,376 people, 5.99%.
The Secretary of State for Employment, Engracia Hidalgo, highlighted in the statement that in March again the pace of job losses in annual terms has slowed.
In the Canary Islands the number of people out of work increased by just 198 in March. Throughout the islands there are 291,672 unemployed, 7,973 more compared to the same time last year.
According to the latest figures from the Ministry of Labour, The Canary Islands has the second lowest figures after the Balearics, which saw a remarkable turnaround with unemployment falling by more than 5.7 per cent.
Of the 291,672 registered unemployed in the Canary Islands right now, 145,516 are men and 146,156 women and 22,175 are under 25 years (11,355 males and 10,820 females).
At the end of March, the registered unemployed in the Canary Islands were distributed by sector as follows: 206,764 in services, 49,036 in construction, 13,605 in industry, in the agriculture 6,145 and 16,122 in the group without previous employment

More... (http://www.canarianweekly.com/unemployment/)

KirstyJay
06-04-2013, 20:47
I'm not sure how much credibility I give these statistics anymore... but I hope it's true!

bonitatime
07-04-2013, 10:33
Easter was in March so some employment will be for that

Medanoman
07-04-2013, 18:38
Local paper here this week had the headlines " LOST GENERATION" and a picture of Paulino ( Canarian President) speaking to a teenager... 72% of all under 25's in Tenerife are out of work.

Numbers will fall once in a while. But, that's not because of increased employment, its more likely that those "autonomos" or self employed souls that are currently registered as unemployed have little motivation to sign on as they are not entitled to a penny. There are also those that have also come to the end of their dole or family support will also stop signing on. Youngsters just out of school or under 25's generally , are also hardly likely to sign on, when there is nothing for them to claim.

I note that the big CERN project where Spain is a partner and has promised to pay 110 million a year towards research. has not paid its quota for 2 years. ok , i know... small end to a very long stick. Although Rajoy Denys that a bank holiday will happen here like in Cyprus, I think it would be wise would not keep capital here if you can avoid it just incase. :cry:

universal
25-04-2013, 09:38
New figures out today, unemployment in Spain tops record 6.2 million.

doreen
25-04-2013, 09:57
New figures out today, unemployment in Spain tops record 6.2 million.

Yes, general rate for the country is now 27.16% :( Seems completely at odds with the report of two weeks ago above

http://economia.elpais.com/economia/2013/04/25/actualidad/1366872244_350515.html

TF1
25-04-2013, 10:05
I think the Canarian Weekly must be having a bad week. Reporting March unemployment figures the same day which the national stats are due to be unveiled isn't the most inspiring journalism I've seen. All previous polls had estimated another 200,000 would be unemployed in the new figures, and we're now over the 6 million mark.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

I'm not sure how much credibility I give these statistics anymore... but I hope it's true!

The stats don't take into consideration those who are unemployed, but don't bother to sign on because they won't get any benefit or credit to their pension (ie, ex-autonomos). This figure is a grey area which the government is keeping very quiet, and won't be revealed until the next national census.

universal
25-04-2013, 10:17
I think the Canarian Weekly must be having a bad week. Reporting March unemployment figures the same day which the national stats are due to be unveiled isn't the most inspiring journalism I've seen. All previous polls had estimated another 200,000 would be unemployed in the new figures, and we're now over the 6 million mark.

In fairness the article was published on 05/04/13 and reflected the previous months figures

TF1
25-04-2013, 10:29
In fairness the article was published on 05/04/13 and reflected the previous months figures

Fair point, missed the post date.:o

Medanoman
25-04-2013, 10:58
The austerity measures were brought in largely due to an academic study back in 2010 which said if you can reduce debt to 90% of GDP things would get better. Unfortunately they have found an error in the spreadsheet.

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/425749/april-23-2013/austerity-s-spreadsheet-error---thomas-herndon

and bloombergs view

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-04-25/spain-unemployment-breaches-27-percent-on-recession.html

golf birdie
25-04-2013, 12:08
don't forget that 2012 also saw the highest number of people leaving Spain.

bonitatime
26-04-2013, 06:23
Friends were quoting last night that 7/10 under 30s are unemployed in the Canaries. Not sure where this came from but two different people told me so I would guess a public source
It's a horrifying figure.

Balcony
26-04-2013, 08:11
On BBC news this mornig they say Spain's unemployment rate is more than 27%. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-22302340

It's staggering to think that many people are in a bad place.

universal
26-04-2013, 16:03
Friends were quoting last night that 7/10 under 30s are unemployed in the Canaries. Not sure where this came from but two different people told me so I would guess a public source
It's a horrifying figure.
"Youth" unemployment in the Canaries is actually running at 75%

TF1
26-04-2013, 18:15
And .... today's round of austerity cuts are set to wipe out another 1.3 million jobs over the next 2 years, and that's a statement from the government. Well, we can be sure of one thing, at least 7.5 million (the estimated amount of unemployed in 2015) will vote against the PP in the next elections. If the country gets that far.

kathml
26-04-2013, 18:41
And .... today's round of austerity cuts are set to wipe out another 1.3 million jobs over the next 2 years, and that's a statement from the government. Well, we can be sure of one thing, at least 7.5 million (the estimated amount of unemployed in 2015) will vote against the PP in the next elections. If the country gets that far.

Some may but what's the alternative have any other party got a viable solution

TF1
26-04-2013, 19:48
Some may but what's the alternative have any other party got a viable solution
PP and PSOE's joint "followers" now make up less than 50% of the overall ballot according to the last poll, which was taken before these shocking unemployment figures came to light. Its not just the fact that the unemployment has increased so much, the PP's lack of popularity is worsened by the constant string of corruption cases lodged against them and theirs, which are rubbing salt in the wounds of the public. So in answer to your question, dependent upon how well the minor parties organize themselves within the next 2 years, we might see some surprises.

poker
27-04-2013, 07:50
Spain has to think about a temporalery move out of the Euro .
That is the only solution .
Or we are going towards the same situation Argentina had till 2002 when they held on to the dollar to keep their peso high .

Translated ;

Eva , Where do you think we are ?

Adam , In the Canaries don`t you see we are nude without work or house and they say we are in paradise .

TF1
27-04-2013, 09:27

Rajoy has now announced that the recession is now expected to go on two years longer than previous estimates; ie, 2016. If that's the official announcement, we can only imagine how bad the reality will be.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Spain has to think about a temporalery move out of the Euro .
That is the only solution .
Or we are going towards the same situation Argentina had till 2002 when they held on to the dollar to keep their peso high .

A move away from the € at this point would kill what's left of the economy, and impose far worse social issues than we are witnessing now.

universal
27-04-2013, 10:26
PP and PSOE's joint "followers" now make up less than 50% of the overall ballot according to the last poll, which was taken before these shocking unemployment figures came to light. Its not just the fact that the unemployment has increased so much, the PP's lack of popularity is worsened by the constant string of corruption cases lodged against them and theirs, which are rubbing salt in the wounds of the public. So in answer to your question, dependent upon how well the minor parties organize themselves within the next 2 years, we might see some surprises.
According to figures released yesterday the Justice system is currently handling 1,661 major cases of political corruption. in Sapin.

poker
27-04-2013, 12:18
A move away from the € at this point would kill what's left of the economy, and impose far worse social issues than we are witnessing now.

Agentinia 2002 all over in a few years for Spain , utter desaster .

9PLUS
27-04-2013, 12:27
If only Thatcher could work her magic

bonitatime
27-04-2013, 13:52
The only viable option seems to be to build their way out but who will pay and what they might build doesn't bear thinking about
The RIC is talking about being reintroduced so they might finish the ring motorway. Builders are talking about borrowing money (from who wasn't clear) to start this again.
Austerity is scary and the longer it goes on the worse it is

The one positive thing I read today was there is again a call for taking off the airport taxes in the Canaries
This can only be a good thing.

9PLUS
27-04-2013, 14:03
wow so many things have to change in Spain for it to start getting better.

A culture shift.

poker
27-04-2013, 15:05
The only viable option seems to be to build their way out but who will pay and what they might build doesn't bear thinking about
The RIC is talking about being reintroduced so they might finish the ring motorway. Builders are talking about borrowing money (from who wasn't clear) to start this again.

The one positive thing I read today was there is again a call for taking off the airport taxes in the Canaries

Buiding ? Its just digging a deeper pit they cant get out of .

poker
27-04-2013, 15:06
wow so many things have to change in Spain for it to start getting better.

A culture shift.

A money change could do it . . . .

9PLUS
27-04-2013, 15:26
Euro such a silly project

universal
07-05-2013, 15:30
Figures out for April show there are 46,000 more people in work in Spain than the previous month.
Miraculously this has reduced unemployment from 6.2m to 4.9m.
I would be grateful if any of the f.c.'s on this forum could explain the logic behind that one!

poker
07-05-2013, 16:20
Where do youre facts and figures come from ? 4.9 million ? ? ?
Its 6 and probably more in realety .

And the unemploymentfigures wont change a thing , 5 or 6 or 8 . . .

They need to split the Euro or they need sustained massive flows of money from north to south .

Germany had massive sales of products with the Euro over the years .
Now they still want a low euro for theire exports out of EU but can it hold forever ?
The Euro has to split or northern countys have to pay in the long run , no escape possible .

TF1
07-05-2013, 16:34
Figures just released confirm that in the Canary Islands, local authorities still owe subcontractors over 25 million from 2012. With the banks not conceding business credit or loans (although they have received subsidies from the government to do so .... twice), we can only guess how many small businesses have had to lay off staff or even close because of this. You can bet the alcaldes have still drawn their oversize wages and expenses every month.

Medanoman
07-05-2013, 22:07

I personally think that the Spanish should do an Iceland and just default rather than getting the middle and lower classes to pay for all the errors of the Banksters.
While that line has worked really well for Iceland who are back to growth, realistically it won't happen here. The Politicos here are far too indoctrinated into the euro gravy train to be able to do much.

The rich classes it seems are the ones that pay less tax than everybody else, a fact well illustrated unfortunately by the Barcenas PP scandal where a PP sponsored moratorium was setup so that anyone who had undeclared earnings could conveniently get them all declared and just pay 10% while the rest of us pay 25. He then had the cheek to have 40 million undeclared in a swiss account. Beggars belief at the complete disdain those politicians have for their electorate.

In the past it was easy. Devalue the peseta, and you devalue your debts. While increasing productivity since everyone likes the idea of paying 50% less for their sangria, new Seat car or hotel room.

With the single currency, a state like Spain is buggered. Unable to devalue its currency, it has only one alternative. That of forcibly taking away...pensions, benefits , and re-valuing ( DOWNWARDS) the cost of labour.

Leaving the EU in my humble opinion would be better. It would not be painless. Far from it. its the lesser of 2 evils. But leaving the euro would inflict very heavy losses on the banking system. Imagine your 100,000 euro apartment being worth 16,6 million pesetas one day ,or 80 thousand pounds and then after the change only 40 thousand pounds. All that would happen as the bank of spain printed pesetas in a quantitative easing frenzy that would devalue and thus get everyone working again. It would be hard, But too hard for Bankers to contemplate. Far easier to squeeze more out of everyone else.

KirstyJay
07-05-2013, 22:43
I personally think that the Spanish should do an Iceland and just default rather than getting the middle and lower classes to pay for all the errors of the Banksters.
While that line has worked really well for Iceland who are back to growth, realistically it won't happen here. The Politicos here are far too indoctrinated into the euro gravy train to be able to do much.

The rich classes it seems are the ones that pay less tax than everybody else, a fact well illustrated unfortunately by the Barcenas PP scandal where a PP sponsored moratorium was setup so that anyone who had undeclared earnings could conveniently get them all declared and just pay 10% while the rest of us pay 25. He then had the cheek to have 40 million undeclared in a swiss account. Beggars belief at the complete disdain those politicians have for their electorate.

In the past it was easy. Devalue the peseta, and you devalue your debts. While increasing productivity since everyone likes the idea of paying 50% less for their sangria, new Seat car or hotel room.

With the single currency, a state like Spain is buggered. Unable to devalue its currency, it has only one alternative. That of forcibly taking away...pensions, benefits , and re-valuing ( DOWNWARDS) the cost of labour.

Leaving the EU in my humble opinion would be better. It would not be painless. Far from it. its the lesser of 2 evils. But leaving the euro would inflict very heavy losses on the banking system. Imagine your 100,000 euro apartment being worth 16,6 million pesetas one day ,or 80 thousand pounds and then after the change only 40 thousand pounds. All that would happen as the bank of spain printed pesetas in a quantitative easing frenzy that would devalue and thus get everyone working again. It would be hard, But too hard for Bankers to contemplate. Far easier to squeeze more out of everyone else.

on the nail head hit you've. Please rearrange those words into a well-known English idiom. ;)

Give that man a cigar. I 100% agree with this entire post. :c2: :c2:

universal
08-05-2013, 11:31
Where do youre facts and figures come from ? 4.9 million ? ? ?
Its 6 and probably more in realety .

And the unemploymentfigures wont change a thing , 5 or 6 or 8 . . .

They need to split the Euro or they need sustained massive flows of money from north to south .

Germany had massive sales of products with the Euro over the years .
Now they still want a low euro for theire exports out of EU but can it hold forever ?
The Euro has to split or northern countys have to pay in the long run , no escape possible .

They were giving these figures out on t.v. on Monday but below is a translated copy of the same stats that are still being read out - with a straight face!...................

Low unemployment in 46,050 people in April and returns to fall below five million
TAGS> ARREST
Spanish Unemployment Office (Efe)
Agencies06/05/2013(9:01) 43 A A 43 Send 19 25 0
inShare
The number of unemployed registered at the offices of the public employment service (INEM old) unemployed fell by 46,050 in April, up 0.91% compared to March, posting its second best figure in April since 2007. This fall, the second row after March, unemployment back down from the figure of five million people, standing at 4,989,193 unemployed, said Monday the Ministry of Employment and Social Security.