PDA

View Full Version : Getting some new glasses

Margaretta
06-04-2013, 15:49
Do you like eyetests?
I always had really good eyesight and could read all the letters on the old-fashioned card, even those miniscule ones at the bottom. About 15 years ago I began to need glasses for reading. I don't think I have ever got used to them and have squashed, trodden upon or broken so many pairs.
I keep losing them and when you haven't got your glasses you can't see to find them. I tried 'the chain' and it caught in buttons and nearly garrotted a child I was leaning over to help with their work.
A busy last couple of months has meant that I've been using a cheapie pair of spares bought in Los Cristianos market which magnify print but make me dizzy after a while. Because I was so reluctant hubby booked me an appointment for last Friday in the optical area of a well-known superstore here in the UK and I admit to being a bit nervous about it. No-one likes to hear their eyes are deteriorating as it's a sign of old age. A sharp pain and a couple of irritating 'floaters have appeared in my right eye recently. Hubby left me to it in order to do the shopping.

First there's that puff in the eyes...pressure? Don't need any more! Eyedrops....looking weird with dilated pupils.
The optician was good and tried to be reassuring but I was in danger of being very confused by the quick-fire instructions to "Look up, to the left, to the right, diagonally" etc. etc. It's strange when you see your blood vessels like a parched river bed. Apparently that's normal. More confusion when I had to say whether the red and green circles were completely round. The lenses passed in and out with breathtaking speed and in the end you don't care if the circles are triangles. Too quick/ can't think.

But finally it seemed OK and I was sent out for a while where a charming young man decided which glasses I should buy. Just readers required at the moment. I say 'decided'. He was old enough to be my grandson but wise enough to be my father. There seemed to be a vast maze of frames on racks and my dilated pupils may have made more sense of them in the dark! There were rimless, rimmed, thick framed, thin framed, coloured, tortoiseshell, metallic, diamante, every kind of designer and Hollywood star manufactured frames etc. etc.
The young man looked at me objectively and picked a pair then said "Absolutely not!!" Before I knew it he was wagging a finger and saying "Those! You've got to have those! That's your style!"
I was so flattered that I let him chose my second pair too and have to admit they felt really comfortable....not that you will see them unless I'm reading a menu!
I did have a final test with a bright horizontal light and the optician couldn't see a problem. I shall receive a letter for the hospital as there they have very sophisticated equipment which should ensure that I don't have a torn or detached retina but I'm not so frightened now. Hey, I'll have my new glasses by then. Just....how to not squash or lose them???

melm
06-04-2013, 16:33
well described Margaretta......I felt your pain. :agree:

casabonny
06-04-2013, 21:04
Be there done that ,it's not scary when you have been doing it since you were 9!
Don't worry about a torn retina , I had one of those for some years and had to have it repaired by laser before my cataract operation.the laser treatment was fine a little uncomfortable but noting more and I had been worried about it beforehand but there really is no need .

Margaretta
06-04-2013, 23:45
Thank you for the sympathy and support ladies!
People have been telling me dreadful consequences of torn and detached retinas. I feel more reassured now.

Harmonicaman
07-04-2013, 09:54
Opticians do a great job and can see things that could be a problem in the future. Keep up with the appointments Margaretta...

Malteser Monkey
07-04-2013, 13:15
I feel you hun - same here always had perfect vision til about 3 years ago. I noticed that putting my chain on and off the clasp was starting to get blurry. Then it was the instructions/ingredients on packets of food were they deliberately making them smaller.

So like you had to go to opticians.

Didn't mind the tests, but that pressure one - the puff of wind - that's horrible !

melm
07-04-2013, 16:27
I have an epi-retinal membrane in my left eye that causes blurred vision.....One doctor says operate the other says only if it gets a lot worse....i will believe the latter for the time being as I believe it is not a nice operation. As a result of this I have to endure these eye tests every six months. better to be safe than sorry I suppose.

Sometimes I feel the eyesight test should be before all the other puffing and field tests as they make your eyes very tired.

I suppose its a small price to pay to preserve our very important sight.

Suej
07-04-2013, 17:21
I feel you hun - same here always had perfect vision til about 3 years ago. I noticed that putting my chain on and off the clasp was starting to get blurry. Then it was the instructions/ingredients on packets of food were they deliberately making them smaller.

So like you had to go to opticians.

Didn't mind the tests, but that pressure one - the puff of wind - that's horrible !

That sounds about right MM! when I reached around 40 I bought a new A-Z of London! I took it back into the shop before I reached my car and told them it was a misprint and was just a load of squiggles on every page! the guy handed me a magnifying map reader and I realised then I needed glasses for reading! it creeps up on you! slowly! Slowly catchy Monkey!!!:lol:

warbey
07-04-2013, 19:11
When We are unsure of what is to happen, that is Frightening every time.

That Puff of wind is testing for Pressure within the Eye (Glaucoma)

At Hospital, They will drop some Fluid in, that stings a little for a matter of seconds.

They then gently put the Instrument against Your Pupil and take the Measurement, without the Puff.!

We don't value Our sight until We are in danger of losing it..

Just a Point.. You are NOT obliged to purchase Glasses There and Then if You don't wish to do so.

TOTO 99
07-04-2013, 19:24
That sounds about right MM! when I reached around 40 I bought a new A-Z of London! I took it back into the shop before I reached my car and told them it was a misprint and was just a load of squiggles on every page! the guy handed me a magnifying map reader and I realised then I needed glasses for reading! it creeps up on you! slowly! Slowly catchy Monkey!!!:lol:

Did you really need an A to Z back then?..I mean, most of London was missing after the blitz....:laugh:

Suej
07-04-2013, 19:29
Did you really need an A to Z back then?..I mean, most of London was missing after the blitz....:laugh:

You must have got your sense of humour from KB?:fpull:

Malteser Monkey
07-04-2013, 20:55
That sounds about right MM! when I reached around 40 I bought a new A-Z of London!

Flippin eck you been in Tenerife for donkeys did they have A-Z back in those days it's Sat Nav now - how's ur hearing:D

Suej
07-04-2013, 20:58
Flippin eck you been in Tenerife for donkeys did they have A-Z back in those days it's Sat Nav now - how's ur hearing:D

WHAT?:ashamed:

Malteser Monkey
07-04-2013, 21:03
Sat Nav - talks to you - how's your hearing

Suej
07-04-2013, 21:10
Sat Nav - talks to you - how's your hearing

Clear as a bell Monkey! I here them all the time! ding! dong! ding! drives me nuts!:lol:

kingbaker
07-04-2013, 23:29
Thats a microwave suej................. She's talking about sat nav dear!! :D

Malteser Monkey
08-04-2013, 08:51
Clear as a bell Monkey! I here them all the time! ding! dong! ding! drives me nuts!:lol:

Good grief !

Good one

Suej
08-04-2013, 10:34

You can't catch me out with that one! the microwave goes "Ting" not Ding dong! I'm not that mutton!:lol:

Malteser Monkey
08-04-2013, 10:39
You can't catch me out with that one! the microwave goes "Ting" not Ding dong! I'm not that mutton!:lol:

is that mutton dressed as lamb or mutton jeff:D

Suej
08-04-2013, 10:42
is that mutton dressed as lamb or mutton jeff:D

If you are referring to my hot pants that's very rude!:redcard:

LUCKY
08-04-2013, 11:33
IT NO WONDER I NEVER COME ON THIS FORUM !!!!! ITS ALL BITCHENESS !!!!!!!:feret:

Malteser Monkey
08-04-2013, 11:37

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2305310/Man-gets-shock-toy-poodles-turn-GIANT-RODENTS-steroids.html

I thought of you this morning when I heard this on the news !

kingbaker
08-04-2013, 12:06
If you are referring to my hot pants that's very rude!:redcard:

OI! Suej looked fine in those HHOT Pants the other day. I also looked good in MY HHot Pants.
Only prob was Suej kept puttin' her hand on my leg under the table. Kept sayin' that she dropped
a chicken wing, but I a beginning to doubt if she dropped all six.:whistle:

Might need more than reading specs!:D

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Yeah there's a lot of beaches 'round here!!:whistle::D

LUCKY
09-04-2013, 10:50
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2305310/Man-gets-shock-toy-poodles-turn-GIANT-RODENTS-steroids.html

I thought of you this morning when I heard this on the news !
:feret::feret: Yes i believe he as stolen my idea, Never mind its making the :feret: a more popual pet.

Margaretta
16-04-2013, 16:10
Well I am now the owner of two pairs of glasses and I'm so proud of them!
One pair have dark red frames and the others are ever so slightly Edna Everidge with four tiny 'diamonds and a gold flower on each side. The frame is brown. Well a bit of bling is good for the evening isn't it?
If only I hadn't broken my nose a few times in my life, they might even sit straight!

melm
16-04-2013, 18:44
One pair have dark red frames and the others are ever so slightly Edna Everidge with four tiny 'diamonds and a gold flower on each side. The frame is brown. Well a bit of bling is good for the evening isn't it?
If only I hadn't broken my nose a few times in my life, they might even sit straight!

sounds good I am sure you are much more glamorous that dame Edna:spin::spin::spin:

warbey
16-04-2013, 18:56

Can You see through them though.?.......lol

Margaretta
16-04-2013, 20:36
sounds good I am sure you are much more glamorous that dame Edna:spin::spin::spin:
Oh yes Melm! I am a female Elton....
Yes Warbey, I can see the forum very clearly now. Just those annoying floaters getting in the way when I look at plain surfaces! My hospital appointment for a more detailed test is coming soon.

Santiago
16-04-2013, 22:44
If you can, change over to contact lenses. I have thirty day contacts and just put them in in the first day and take them out on the 30th. Occasionally I take them out overnight during the thirty days if my eyes are tired or dry, but they are fantastic and don't have the problems that you get with spectacles. They are no more expensive either. I go to Specsavers and have a direct debit contract with them so that they post me three sets of lenses every quarter at a monthly cost of £10. Considering my last specs cost me over £300 and had to be changed after two years, I think that is a bargain.