PDA

View Full Version : Other Does bingo still happen in bars in Tenerife?

golazzo
06-04-2013, 19:04
Does it still happen. Many years back it used to be a big crowd puller especially in the George & Dragon

marbro8
06-04-2013, 19:43
Does it still happen. Many years back it used to be a big crowd puller especially in the George & Dragoni must admit i have never seen it in the 6-7 years we have been coming to tenerife? but maybe we don't frequent those kind of bars:dontknow::) and if you are talking about the other bingo, he retired after the banana bunch split up:crylaughing:

Red Devil
06-04-2013, 19:51
Sure its banned now except in certain licensed places or something. I do remember when it used to still take place in the Star Bar there used to be a lookout on the street in case the police drove by while the numbers were being shouted out.rolleyes2:

slodgedad
07-04-2013, 00:52
Bingo, which used to help pay for entertainment in bars, has always been illegal except in licensed Bingo premises.

A lot of bars used to do it because it's a money spinner so worth the gamble.

After some hefty fines a few years ago the incentive to risk it was taken away.

Friend of mine used to do a mobile bingo game with big 'snowball' prizes and was caught when, stupidly, he allowed a picture of a 1000 pound winner to appear on the front page of Island Connections.

He was fined 15 million pesetas (60 thousand quid).

According to him that was only about 3 or 4 months profit.

Needless to say he stopped and left the island.

timmylish
07-04-2013, 01:35
Aye, But did he pay the fine?

slodgedad
07-04-2013, 01:51
Aye, But did he pay the fine?

Yup................

seanocelt
07-04-2013, 01:58
Saw the thread title, was ready to reply, but Slodgedad more than covered it. All i would add is, NO, not done in bars that i know (saw one get busted last year), and yes, it has impacted wages for entertainers and budgets for bar entertainment.Much as we HATED it, it had its place.

slodgedad
07-04-2013, 02:13
I often wonder if people realized that the games were subsidising the entertainment.

You don't need to be a rocket scientist to figure out how a 50 seat bar could put on 250 euros worth of entertainment and still keep their drinks prices down.

As Sean has said, love it or loathe it, wages were paid, and the standard was far higher.

junglejim
07-04-2013, 10:00
I know of a bar where you play Bingo for a Bottle as a prize , which you can keep -or "sell" back to bar!
Yes it always pays for the entertainment, same as footie cards !

golazzo
07-04-2013, 10:02
I'm talking when they used to play for 150-200 euros per house

seanocelt
07-04-2013, 11:04
Cant play for money now golazzo= big fines. JJ is was in Kittys last year when the Adeje cops went up to every table counting how many folks were about to play bingo, asked my wife how much her ticket was (free). They then done the owner and said the only prizes allowed would be "feathers or something of no resale value". Bottom line, someone grassed them and it will happen again im sure.

Suej
07-04-2013, 11:07
Cant play for money now golazzo= big fines. JJ is was in Kittys last year when the Adeje cops went up to every table counting how many folks were about to play bingo, asked my wife how much her ticket was (free). They then done the owner and said the only prizes allowed would be "feathers or something of no resale value". Bottom line, someone grassed them and it will happen again im sure.

For anyone who's desperate to play bingo in Tenerife there's a Bingo hall in Las Chafiras! fill ya boots! Eyes down!:)

junglejim
07-04-2013, 12:35
Yes , we know who shopped them ! But the Kandy lounge now do exactly the same with the same caller Alan !
They only play for a crap bottle of plonk and free fun .