PDA

View Full Version : Cars & Transport Is a car necessary or not in Tenerife?

Finca Farmer
08-04-2013, 19:27
Hi all,

Is there really a need to own a car if we were to come out for a few months, say anywhere between 3 and 12 months? Does anyone manage completely without one - how do you get along? Has anyone that's moved out there bought or taken a car to start with but later got rid of it?

Interested to hear both sides, for and against. Thanks in advance.

Lindsay/FF

slodgedad
08-04-2013, 19:31
It completely depends on where you live, as anywhere.

carpenter
08-04-2013, 19:41
Car all the way

delderek
08-04-2013, 19:47
If you live in los cris or pdla. A car is completely unnecessary. Anywhere else probably a requirement.

bonitatime
08-04-2013, 21:12
It depends if you are used to having a car, where you live what you are planning to do.
You can live here happily without a car but if you are working it might be harder. I use the bus a lot but still a car is useful. Its just my other half has it most if the time. Do you cycle this would be an option if you are planning on moving around.

Finca Farmer
09-04-2013, 06:48
Thanks everyone so far.

I'm used to having a car because I can't get to where I work on public transport without a lot of faff, time and expense. The nearest large supermarket is nearly 2 miles away so, again, a car's needed for that. However, I don't use it just for the sake of it and my OH doesn't have access to one if he needs to go out while I'm at work. We have two small supermarkets nearby (five minutes walk) which I use more often than the big one.

I think we're realistically thinking of being somewhere fairly urbanised e.g. PDLA or Los Cris. I agree you couldn't do without one if you lived halfway up Teide!

I don't cycle but I do walk a lot more when the weather's nice. As a young person still living at home I used to go and do my mum's shopping after school once a week and pull one of those cloth trollies back home laden with tins! I can see me returning to that sort of thing.

timmylish
10-04-2013, 02:56
Not trying to upset this but I really think the option is not - "do you need a car" more "do you desire one". After all you will not "need" no matter where you live. Is the "convenience" more attractive? Frankly, no matter what you decide you will end up having a car even if you stay in LC/PDLA. You,ll want to go out somewhere different, from time to time, will you not?
For those of you who don,t understand - the above is a classic pre-emptive sales pitch!
(Let me know when you want a car, type, own/rent and the money, of course!)

junglejim
10-04-2013, 06:24
We stay in San Eugenio Bajo - just across from shopping centre and 2 minutes from bus stop - a deliberate choice so that a car was not required .
I used the Titsa buses a lot to go exploring the Island but less so now having seen most of what I want - my wife has been given the odd lift by friends to some out of way Iceland etc but we get bye without one.
Others on our complex use a car almost daily for their lifestyle ( retired) and love it , I´m quite happy here without one (and the expense) and anyway my wife thinks I´m a crappy driver ! LOL !

essexeddie
14-04-2013, 20:39
The Island is full of crappy drivers, they wouldn't pass any test in the UK.
Having said that I have just bought a car after visiting the Island for 26 years. Now retired and using the aptartment more we took the plunge. We did manage easy without, thats if you dont mind waiting for the bus that doesn't turn up. So thought, why not, and when the weather is lousy we just get in the car and go.