PDA

View Full Version : Laws & Regulations What paperwork do I need to open a guesthouse in Tenerife?

Cerceta
09-04-2013, 08:28
Hello Tinerfe-lovers! :hello:

I am sure someone will think I should've searched the existant topics before I write, so I can tell you I did! :wink2: But forum searching is not my strongest feature, I notice... besides, I trust there's someone here who has time to shortly advice me about some considerably basic things.

My business idea is to open a guesthouse in the Southern Tenerife (in an old finca perhaps) for specific groups and offer them not only bed and breakfast but tours and some cultural experiences around the island as well.

The problem seems to be, the touristic law makes it impossible to private owners to let their property for holiday purposes, right? Did I get that right? So, legally it's only possible to buy an existing hotel or something, not set up a new one?

I'm wondering, how do new guesthouses ever open in Spain, if this is the case. My plan would be to pay taxes to Spain, not Finland. Also, my guests would use the LOCAL services and so would I. Does any of you lovely people happen to know if there actually IS chances of setting up a business that I'm describing? Plus is there a chance to get any kind of financing for businesses that will support the local economical situation?

With humble thanks,

Cerceta:bowdown:

bonitatime
09-04-2013, 08:34
There has been money for the refurbishing if casa rurales. This is a completely different category. If you can then break this up into rooms rather than rent seperately I dont know. A pension is also possible but a conversion not a new build.
There are ICO loans for start ups but they make you find a lot of paperwork.
You need to find a Gestor who can advise you but if you find out something please come back and tell us.

Cerceta
09-04-2013, 09:57
Thank you Bonitatime! I appreciate your reply. It's a tough business I know but I have lots of eagerness and a yearn to learn it. :)

Edit: Also, indeed refurbishing an old farm is what was on my mind from the beginning, even before I knew anything about the touristic restrictions.

matteo
02-05-2013, 21:51
Hello Cerceta,
I'm italian and with my wife came up with a very similar ideas... guesthouse or casa rural. Actually a casa rural seems something more complicated to put up, because I'm afraid you would have a lot of restrictions as for how to do it... or at least that's how this usually works all over europe...
I'll be very interested of any ideas you should come up to, and will myself add here any news I/we find on this topic.

I'll be following you! :)

M.

Cerceta
03-05-2013, 06:10
Hello Matteo!

As far as I've been informed, it's almost impossible to get new licences for guesthouses due to the new strict touristic laws. But it should be possible to renovate an old finca or casa rural for touristic purposes. In any case, I need to find out more. I don't know if it's a good idea requesting these things from the local legal advisers in English, or should I take up more time and do it in Spanish, hmm.....?

9PLUS
03-05-2013, 08:05
I bet John the Solicitor could find a way

x

Cerceta
03-05-2013, 20:57
I bet John the Solicitor could find a way

x

Hmh? I'm thankful for all the advice in this point. :) Not able to pay a solicitor yet, but the truth is, I'll never be if I won't get the information I need to even start this business.

9PLUS
03-05-2013, 21:20
Go to the local townhall and ask them what you need

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

then go to Turismo

Javi
03-05-2013, 21:31
Go to the local townhall and ask them what you need

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

then go to Turismo

Cerceta...this is the best advice you could have had. Straightforward, practical and for free :)

Cerceta
04-05-2013, 07:40
Ha! :D Thanks guys, I get it.

Cerceta
04-05-2013, 19:58
As promised, I've done some more research about this and there seems to be a law that permits rural tourism accommodation in certain conditions (Isolated location or historical significance etc.) So, on the other hand touristic licences are not permitted at the time being, on the other hand they have this exception...

Below a link to a 2007 research on rural tourism in Tenerife.

http://www.du.se/PageFiles/5054/Julius.pdf

matteo
05-05-2013, 16:35
Cerceta and all,

Thank you for your intersting replies, this is being very useful for me to make myself a good starting point.
As for now I am researching via web, for I am still in Italy "closing" my life here.
But in july me and family will be moving to Tenerife, and once over there everything will be more onto the practical side...
Now I have to find the time to read this interesting research on Casa Rurales...

M.