PDA

View Full Version : Other I've never seen it so quiet in Torviscas

Angusjim
09-04-2013, 16:23
I have been coming to San Eugenio / Toriviscas area for quite a few years now and have never seen it so quiet as it was last week all that was missing was the tumblweed, was I just unlucky and picked a quiet week or is that the ways its been recently? Hopefully other areas are fairing better:(
And to make matters worse the weatrher was crap :(

Tom & Sharon
09-04-2013, 16:32
I have been coming to San Eugenio / Toriviscas area for quite a few years now and have never seen it so quiet as it was last week all that was missing was the tumblweed, was I just unlucky and picked a quiet week or is that the ways its been recently? Hopefully other areas are fairing better:(

We're in the UK Jim, but before we left the Golf was full. San Blas was fuller at night than I've seen it (when it's not been August) for years.

seanocelt
09-04-2013, 16:42
We are having a quiet ten days, but were busy when others were not. To me, there's never enough to fill all the parts , even at xmas, and it can look very patchy, but flights seem busy ( and very pricey too).

junglejim
09-04-2013, 16:52
It was a very quiet Easter weekend AJ , picked up during week ,though not as busy as it was earlier .
My mate was over staying with me - flights were 410 quid return !

Kiki
09-04-2013, 17:06
The bars and restaurants in PDLA are very quiet at the moment. I think most people are refusing to pay the ridicolous airline ticket prices at school holiday times, and the families that have paid them at staying in all inclusive hotels. I hope it picks up soon!!

marbro8
09-04-2013, 17:15
It was a very quiet Easter weekend AJ , picked up during week ,though not as busy as it was earlier .
My mate was over staying with me - flights were 410 quid return !we come over 2nd week in may and our flights cost us about £500 for the two of us with RA, but we booked those last october, and we have paid the same for october this year,but a friend of mine was looking to go over in the september-october school break and the prices are ridiculous, i told him to just take his lad out of school and say he is sick, and if they did find out they had taken him on holiday then just pay the £50 fine, it would be a lot cheaper than the extra they want for the holiday:dontknow:

golf birdie
09-04-2013, 17:16
The bars and restaurants in PDLA are very quiet at the moment. I think most people are refusing to pay the ridicolous airline ticket prices at school holiday times, and the families that have paid them at staying in all inclusive hotels. I hope it picks up soon!!

with May and June coming up fast I can't see much to look forward to. If they don't take the money now they will struggle to see the summer. It was the quietest March I've known since I have been here and April has started the same.

nelson
09-04-2013, 17:18
you all know what I am going to say, but it has to be said and continue to be said.

ai hotels and expensive air fares are not helping. but also the crackdown on renting is likewise very damaging to tourist footfall and potential tourist footfall. many former internet advertisers pulled their online ads as the crackdown really bit and fines were everywhere around november/december 2011. This means they already had some bookings for summer 2012, things would be quieter, but not a total loss of footfall. Winter 2012/ 2013 would recover based on family and friends regular swallows. Having said that many apartment owners did stop letting and have not had guests in that period.

The problem is as regards summer 2013, and you have all heard me say this before months back, the internet ads are long dead and the renters have no customers for the resorts for the coming summer months.

As we all know apartment tourists are the mainstay of the restuarants and bars. In effect the canary govt has removed the canaries from the private holiday home market. potential customers have no access to this type of accomodation on the popular online sites they used to book apartments on. A totally insane situation.

The customers are still out there, but they are clicking their mouses on what is available for them to rent on the websites.

TF1
09-04-2013, 18:20
El Médano was packed over Easter, many businesses claim the busiest ever. Still busier than normal now.

marbro8
09-04-2013, 18:31
don't worry, they will all be begging to come over when me and ecky hit town in a few weeks:crylaughing:

Medanoman
09-04-2013, 18:48
Yes Medano was packed to the rafters i agree. But Its a different type of tourist that goes to el Medano. They are normally the ones that don't want the kiss me quick hat type atmosphere of Los cris or Americas. Over the Easter holiday both Playa chica and montana roja were packed thanks to no wind. ( No wind in el medano means loads of wind on the East coast i.e. Los Gigs , Cris , Americas). It is a favorite with the "Rusos" ( People from Santa Cruz in )

But the gap between Easter to July is always painfully slow. It always was when we had a shop down in Las Americas. We preferred the winter months, when the people coming over seemed to be more affluent. Families are nice, but they just don't spend money. Hope it picks up for everyone soon.

Ecky Thump
09-04-2013, 19:11
don't worry, they will all be begging to come over when me and ecky hit town in a few weeks:crylaughing:

People that don't know you or realise the strength of your animal magnetism will soon be aware of your presence and your generous nature!:-)

kathml
09-04-2013, 23:00
Yes Medano was packed to the rafters i agree. But Its a different type of tourist that goes to el Medano. They are normally the ones that don't want the kiss me quick hat type atmosphere of Los cris or Americas. Over the Easter holiday both Playa chica and montana roja were packed thanks to no wind. ( No wind in el medano means loads of wind on the East coast i.e. Los Gigs , Cris , Americas). It is a favorite with the "Rusos" ( People from Santa Cruz in )

But the gap between Easter to July is always painfully slow. It always was when we had a shop down in Las Americas. We preferred the winter months, when the people coming over seemed to be more affluent. Families are nice, but they just don't spend money. Hope it picks up for everyone soon.

It wasn't packed to the rafters I wasn't there so that's at least one empty apartment (unless I've got squatters) but ill be there soon

Thank god it doesn't get the normal beer swilling UK tourists

I normally go to LC once every trip so that I can give thanks that the majority keep away from Medano

seanocelt
10-04-2013, 02:02
We actually picked up tonight, but i dropped a couple off to El Mirador area at 1230, nearly all locking up. Its as i said , pockets here and there,a generally typical post Easter, now watch flight prices (hopefully) drop a bit. Been way too expensive of late.

Angusjim
10-04-2013, 07:41
It wasn't packed to the rafters I wasn't there so that's at least one empty apartment (unless I've got squatters) but ill be there soon

Thank god it doesn't get the normal beer swilling UK tourists

I normally go to LC once every trip so that I can give thanks that the majority keep away from Medano

Pray tell me what exactly is a normal beer swilling UK tourist ? you come across as a typical Edinburgh snob but maybe I am just stereotyping people from Edinburgh:whistle:

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

:hello:
We actually picked up tonight, but i dropped a couple off to El Mirador area at 1230, nearly all locking up. Its as i said , pockets here and there,a generally typical post Easter, now watch flight prices (hopefully) drop a bit. Been way too expensive of late.

Do you also do airport runs:whistle::lol:

macdonald5
10-04-2013, 08:00
Pray tell me what exactly is a normal beer swilling UK tourist ? you come across as a typical Edinburgh snob but maybe I am just stereotyping people from Edinburgh:whistle:

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: from almost Edinburgh non snob nor beer swiller
One prefers a Bombay Sapphire con tonica !!!:cheers2:

kathml
10-04-2013, 08:04
wheres this place called edinburgh wrong again try another guess

Angusjim
10-04-2013, 08:07
wheres this place called edinburgh wrong again try another guess

So 50% correct you are a snob:bootyshake:

kathml
10-04-2013, 10:40
Possibly I am by your standards but unless you meet me you'll never know??

Angusjim
10-04-2013, 11:03
Possibly I am by your standards but unless you meet me you'll never know??

Quite right Kathleen one must maintain ones standards, luckily mine's are quite low so easily maintained, just let me guzzle a few pints and hae a bag oh chips on holiday and I am happy:yum:

Medman
10-04-2013, 11:04
Quite right Kathleen one must maintain ones standards, luckily mine's are quite low so easily maintained, just let me guzzle a few pints and hae a bag oh chips on holiday and I am happy:yum:

And pick up a posh bird who likes a bit o rough :lol:

Angusjim
10-04-2013, 11:07
And pick up a posh bird who likes a bit o rough :lol:

Drinking with Jungle Jim & SeanoCelt standards don't come any lower than that:lol:

Medman
10-04-2013, 11:12
Drinking with Jungle Jim & SeanoCelt standards don't come any lower than that:lol:

Anything's possible wi a gid few Bombay Sapphires an' Irn Bru ........ :drunks2:

gazza
10-04-2013, 11:39
Flights can´t be blamed this time, Manchester to Tenerife south from £37 one way with good old Ryanair

Medman
10-04-2013, 11:45
Flights can´t be blamed this time, Manchester to Tenerife south from £37 one way with good old Ryanair

Wow.........I'm moving to Manchester

seanocelt
10-04-2013, 12:10
My family, from Scotland and Ireland, and many of my Facebook friends from my gigs are being priced out, really bad. ANGUS JIM: ...........EEJIT tcheuctar, double whammy AJ!
Actually its me thats from Edinburgh dont know about Kathml;no G and T's for me though as you know .I dropped off tourists from my gig as i was passing their apartments. I would NEVER do airport runs, i value my life, but it is still goin on aplenty. You need a contact to save a bawbee? Haw haw. Saw you scanning the dodgy DVD list in the pub too!:raspberry:. Next visit me and JJ will take you to Medano so you can hang out with the elite.

Margaretta
10-04-2013, 12:15
Back to the beginning Gentlemen.
We travel to and fro quite a lot now. Hubby has an aisle seat on the plane (knee problem) and I sit in the middle next to him. For the last two years it was rare that anyone sat at the window seat so we were able to spread out across three seats and have a very comfortable journey. But over the winter months the planes have always been completely full with passengers, Spanish and British, so we may have opposite aisle seats in future! All this is to say that people are travelling to and from Tenerife and this seems to us to be increasing.
Some friends always stay in a hotel in Adeje. We met up last year in Tenerife and took them to 'our' places around and either side of the Golf. They absolutely loved it saying that it is more Canarian and varied and came to stay with us last month.
There is a plaque/monument on the El Medano walkway. It was 'discovered' by a scientist?? who lived in Santa Cruz and came there at weekends. He wrote about it and persuaded other people to come. When we are over we 'do' the main walkway at least four times a week and places further along where the rock formations and waves are incredible. Can't describe it but El Medano has just 'Got it!' Las Galletas too. Both places are a bit scruffy in comparison to the 'posh' resorts but the atmosphere and variety of people, nationalities, sights, food and enjoyment make a magic combination. It's not easy to park there at weekends. It feels better to me because it's not just big hotels but places where Canarian people really live alongside other residents. The big hotel areas are to us like 'Little Britain,' Germany, Scandinavia or Belgium; no real soul. We speak for people like us but of course it's not for everyone. Just seems sad when people don't see and participate in Canarian culture. Some in all-inclusive never see the mountain...what a fabulous place to miss.

The less touristic places may be doing rather well....renting apartments there needs to be easier and the fares a bit lower. In the meantime 'All Inclusive' is the cheapest option but people are less inclined to leave the hotels.

Skeggy
10-04-2013, 12:46
I enjoyed those comments Margaretta, we are now staying in the Capital Santa Cruz and thoroughly enjoying the real Tenerife.

Angusjim
22-12-2013, 13:31
Never been over staying in this area since last March / April is it any busier it was a bit grim

junglejim
22-12-2013, 14:10
No AJ - it's still as grim as ever , same return faces every year in the busy bars and restaurants and illegal complexes .
People spending money as if there was no tomorrow - it really is grim - suck a lemon and cheer up AJ , it's only Christmas ! LOL !!

Angusjim
22-12-2013, 14:15
No AJ - it's still as grim as ever , same return faces every year in the busy bars and restaurants and illegal complexes .
People spending money as if there was no tomorrow - it really is grim - suck a lemon and cheer up AJ , it's only Christmas ! LOL !!

It wiz that bad I went up to listen to Sean one night:doh::laugh:

Jabba43
22-12-2013, 14:48
http://www.todotenerife.es/en/article/show/2755/turismo

Read an article the other day which I cannot find now that 2013 has been a record year. A few countries less a few countries more.

DJ Dangerous
02-08-2014, 23:48
Torviscas is certainly hopping this summer!

kathml
03-08-2014, 09:01
But are they spending money ?

Malteser Monkey
03-08-2014, 10:32
Torviscas is certainly hopping this summer!

an influx of one legged people ?:D:jumping:

any sign of Angusjim ?

Yes it is cloudy at the mo I saw the webcams:whistle:

Angusjim
03-08-2014, 11:37
an influx of one legged people ?:D:jumping:

any sign of Angusjim ?

Yes it is cloudy at the mo I saw the webcams:whistle:

Ahh you missing me:laugh:

Malteser Monkey
03-08-2014, 11:38

I was, but now.......hmmmm:D

DJ Dangerous
03-08-2014, 23:15
But are they spending money ?

Who knows?

But they aren't eating hopes and dreams.

:)

kingbaker
04-08-2014, 01:09

Actually it's been quiet and peacefull here.....we didn't know ourselves.:D:p:cool:

SuzyQ
04-08-2014, 11:33
I work on the Golf del Sur, not seen it so busy for many a year. I do believe we have turned the corner.:spin:

Angusjim
04-08-2014, 12:02
I work on the Golf del Sur, not seen it so busy for many a year. I do believe we have turned the corner.:spin:

So the plebs from the UK have returned to help save Tenerife's economy 9Plus and his 5 star gang will no be happy:c2::lol:

Good to hear its getting busy again on the Golf

LUCKY
04-08-2014, 12:44

Even Lower GDS is having its fair share of visitors. :flatcap:

Angusjim
04-08-2014, 12:46
Even Lower GDS is having its fair share of visitors. :flatcap:

Would that be lower class plebs around say 2 star

LUCKY
04-08-2014, 12:49

They seem quite posh to me .But there again i do look up to everyone :flatcap:

Malteser Monkey
04-08-2014, 12:50

I am sensing some kind of dislike towards this group know as plebs ?:D

Angusjim
04-08-2014, 13:08
I am sensing some kind of dislike towards this group know as plebs ?:D

Not at all I am a pleb myself and dam proud of it :lol:

primrose
04-08-2014, 13:11
Not at all I am a pleb myself and dam proud of it :lol:

Yep me too. There is a certain group that think Tenerife will only ever be OK when it is all 5 Star,it will never happen thank goodness.

Malteser Monkey
04-08-2014, 14:15
Yep me too. There is a certain group that think Tenerife will only ever be OK when it is all 5 Star,it will never happen thank goodness.

Ohhh nooo - that makes me a pleb too - who needs 5 star - I'm a SC kinda girl.

Have done the the 5 star thing but it's too clinical - none of the personal touch IMO ....no rude comments please.

We popped into the Iberostar Torviscas playa 4 stars years ago thought it quite friendly and homely. We were staying at Costa Adeje Gran it was nice - just lacking something

Tshirt
04-08-2014, 17:23
We've only ever done SC, does that make us plebs then? [emoji4]

Angusjim
04-08-2014, 17:34

YES :lol:

martincrabb99
04-08-2014, 17:59

I'm a pleb as well... I like being a pleb!

Tshirt
04-08-2014, 18:19
Plebs 'r Us

melm
04-08-2014, 18:24
Plebs 'r Us

Us too...............:eyebrows:

martincrabb99
04-08-2014, 18:52
Us too...............:eyebrows:

Plebs United[emoji6]

Ecky Thump
04-08-2014, 19:05
Plebs United[emoji6]

Plebs4us.........:)

martincrabb99
04-08-2014, 19:20
Plebs4us.........:)
Plebs reunited[emoji23]

kingbaker
04-08-2014, 21:31
Ohhh nooo - that makes me a pleb too - who needs 5 star - I'm a SC kinda girl.

Have done the the 5 star thing but it's too clinical - none of the personal touch IMO ....no rude comments please.

We popped into the Iberostar Torviscas playa 4 stars years ago thought it quite friendly and homely. We were staying at Costa Adeje Gran it was nice - just lacking something

I've only ever gone SC and wont change unless I meet an oul BURD with Squillions..:p:p:p;)

cheery
04-08-2014, 22:24
We always go SC as it gives us more freedom. The only thing I cook is tea and coffee!

macdonald5
04-08-2014, 22:30
I've only ever gone SC and wont change unless I meet an oul BURD with Squillions..:p:p:p;)

Ok KB but SC does not always mean cheaper ! We choose SC as it suits us ,tried hotels (LosGigantes & PDLA ) but much prefer holiday at our pace - no set meal time ,choose own type of food restaurant
Good quality apartment can cost more than some hotels but it's all about choice and what suits you
We could possibly go 'all inclusive ' in reasonable hotel cheaper than our current choice but don't choose to
Like option of a Chinese meal, Italian meal or even a sandwich whatever takes our fancy
To each their own !!

martincrabb99
04-08-2014, 22:33
We always go SC as it gives us more freedom. The only thing I cook is tea and coffee!

Well you certainly deserve a break from cooking[emoji106][emoji6]

Tshirt
04-08-2014, 23:21

And toast.........

macdonald5
04-08-2014, 23:23
And toast.........

Or weetabix !!

cheery
05-08-2014, 05:19
And toast.........

The only thing that gets toasted is me. Twenty minutes a side, then turn. Repeat as required for duration of visit to pool/beach. Occasional visits to local rehydration points when required.

martincrabb99
05-08-2014, 06:31
And toast.........

With real butter......oh yes!

Malteser Monkey
05-08-2014, 08:48
Ok KB but SC does not always mean cheaper ! We choose SC as it suits us ,tried hotels (LosGigantes & PDLA ) but much prefer holiday at our pace - no set meal time ,choose own type of food restaurant
Good quality apartment can cost more than some hotels but it's all about choice and what suits you
We could possibly go 'all inclusive ' in reasonable hotel cheaper than our current choice but don't choose to
Like option of a Chinese meal, Italian meal or even a sandwich whatever takes our fancy
To each their own !!

I'm with you MaccieD

Medman
05-08-2014, 08:54
I'm with you MaccieD

Oh no ... I'm with Monkey !!

Malteser Monkey
05-08-2014, 09:10
Oh no ... I'm with Monkey !!

me too:wink2:

Medman
05-08-2014, 09:21
me too:wink2:

You're pregnant ??

Malteser Monkey
05-08-2014, 09:40
You're pregnant ??

not last time I looked :whistle:

you offering ?:crylaughing:

Medman
05-08-2014, 09:58
not last time I looked :whistle:

you offering ?:crylaughing:

Just when you said the you were "with monkey" ... :lol: I assumed ....

*checks diary* .. :read:

Malteser Monkey
05-08-2014, 10:00
Just when you said the you were "with monkey" ... :lol: I assumed ....

*checks diary* .. :read:

There must be more monkeys out there ?

Medman
05-08-2014, 10:06
There must be more monkeys out there ?

Ah, but not a malteser one .. :yum:

Tshirt
05-08-2014, 22:54
I've been going to Malta for the past 20 years and I've Never seen a monkey [emoji205][emoji205][emoji205]

LUCKY
05-08-2014, 23:02
I've been going to Malta for the past 20 years and I've Never seen a monkey [emoji205][emoji205][emoji205]

Try Wales or Gibraltar :flatcap:

Tshirt
06-08-2014, 10:23
I don't think I've ever seen one in Torviscas either, even when it's busy.;)

LUCKY
06-08-2014, 10:31
I don't think I've ever seen one in Torviscas either, even when it's busy.;)

You need to get out more :flatcap:

Local Attractions include: Siam Park, Jungle Park, Aqualand, Monkey Park. :run::hide:

Tshirt
06-08-2014, 10:44
You need to get out more :flatcap:

Local Attractions include: Siam Park, Jungle Park, Aqualand, Monkey Park. :run::hide:

I didn't see any in Lower GDS, perhaps it was too cold.:lol:

LUCKY
06-08-2014, 12:20
I didn't see any in Lower GDS, perhaps it was too cold.:lol:

They may never reach these Lower parts of GDS :flatcap:

DJ Dangerous
03-09-2014, 16:19
I was chatting to the staff in Roy's (San Eugenio Alto) last week, who said that they've never been so busy - 25 tables a night at times.

So, I guess things have picked up...

And what's all this about Tenerife being only 5-Star?

The bones of the local economy is the drunken Brits in their Union Jack boxers with their flabby, tattooed bellies pouring over the waistband.

Tenerife couldn't afford to (and I can't imagine many places that could) select which types of tourist it accepts!

The higher the standards here, the better, for tourists and residents alike, but there will always be a large market for cheap ****e as well.

Angusjim
03-09-2014, 17:20
I was chatting to the staff in Roy's (San Eugenio Alto) last week, who said that they've never been so busy - 25 tables a night at times.

The bones of the local economy is the drunken Brits in their Union Jack boxers with their flabby, tattooed bellies pouring over the waistband.

Tenerife couldn't afford to (and I can't imagine many places that could) select which types of tourist it accepts!

The higher the standards here, the better, for tourists and residents alike, but there will always be a large market for cheap ****e as well.

Good to hear things are busy I will be over in November staggering about Sunsetbay area

marbro8
03-09-2014, 18:21

The higher the standards here, the better, for tourists and residents alike, but there will always be a large market for cheap ****e as well.my mate has his apartment just up there dave,paradise park i think? and he raves about roy's but we have never tried it,what's it like?

Steve 1968
03-09-2014, 20:05
my mate has his apartment just up there dave,paradise park i think? and he raves about roy's but we have never tried it,what's it like?

Roy's clearly have a good slice of the market on take away pizza and Indians and it must be really good given that it's dearer than many other delivery outlets. I've only tried their pizza and garlic bread slices once and given that it was as a cure for an all day stinking hangover shouldn't necessarily be taken as a bona fide review compared to those who may use Roy's more regularly. I found them to be a similar style pizza as UK takeaways provide, deep pan base, plenty of toppings, and if that's your thing you'll more than likely enjoy it. I prefer the thin base which they probably do to order but in my state I just wanted lard and stodge.

I guess the best endorsement is that Roys has stood the test of time so clearly they're doing something right given how many pubs and other businesses have closed down up 'cardiac hill' in recent years.

Menu's are viewable here http://www.royspizza.com/our-menu.php

marbro8
03-09-2014, 20:14
Roy's clearly have a good slice of the market on take away pizza and Indians and it must be really good given that it's dearer than many other delivery outlets. I've only tried their pizza and garlic bread slices once and given that it was as a cure for an all day stinking hangover shouldn't necessarily be taken as a bona fide review compared to those who may use Roy's more regularly. I found them to be a similar style pizza as UK takeaways provide, deep pan base, plenty of toppings, and if that's your thing you'll more than likely enjoy it. I prefer the thin base which they probably do to order but in my state I just wanted lard and stodge.

I guess the best endorsement is that Roys has stood the test of time so clearly they're doing something right given how many pubs and other businesses have closed down up 'cardiac hill' in recent years.

Menu's are viewable here http://www.royspizza.com/our-menu.phpthanks for that steve very informative;)

Steve 1968
03-09-2014, 20:20
thanks for that steve very informative;)

The other selling point for Roy's is that the delivery drivers do their best to get the order to you within seconds of it leaving the oven - wherever you are on the south coast. They've even been known to drive faster than TITSA drivers, taxi drivers and airline pilots

:drive:

marbro8
03-09-2014, 20:36
The other selling point for Roy's is that the delivery drivers do their best to get the order to you within seconds of it leaving the oven - wherever you are on the south coast. They've even been known to drive faster than TITSA drivers, taxi drivers and airline pilots

:drive:ha ha well we are staying on el mirador in los cris,and we said that we are going to have at least one family night in when we come over in october,and have a game of cards on the patio,and my wife loves the deep pan pizzas you get here in the uk but whenever we have been for a pizza in tenerife they are always thin crust,so we will give them a try,and to stay on topic it will not be so quiet in torviscas in october because there will be 7 of us and my sister in law is the loudest karaoke singer i have ever had the mispleasure to hear:D

Steve 1968
03-09-2014, 20:42
ha ha well we are staying on el mirador in los cris,and we said that we are going to have at least one family night in when we come over in october,and have a game of cards on the patio,and my wife loves the deep pan pizzas you get here in the uk but whenever we have been for a pizza in tenerife they are always thin crust,so we will give them a try,and to stay on topic it will not be so quiet in torviscas in october because there will be 7 of us and my sister in law is the loudest karaoke singer i have ever had the mispleasure to hear:D

I guess there was a tenuous link to the OP - it'll never be quiet in Tenerife as long as Roy's Race Cars are tearing up the streets :laugh: :laugh: I'll be doing my best to keep the noise levels up during our stay in Sept-Oct (my favourite time of the year) although that'll be down to post Dorada snoring rather than karaoke.