PDA

View Full Version : Is it safe to bring out expensive equipment on holiday?

ToodlePIP
09-04-2013, 21:02
Two weeks today my husband and I are popping our Tenerife cherries. We got a good deal and are staying 7 nights at SunComfort California and then the next 7 in SunPrime Coral Suites as some friends are also flying over.

I have a few questions if you don't mind? I'm sure you get a crap tonne of dullsville questions like this so I understand if I'm swept aside. I will however track you down and force you to listen to Westlife as punishment.

Anyway, I've heard some bad things about burglaries in South Tenerife. I own my own business so even though I will be on holiday I need to take my laptop and camera to keep updated with my job? Dare I? Or should I bust a gut working before I go and stick to my phone for emails? I know it really is an anything could happen type question but I have no experience with large holiday resorts so I have no idea and like helpful words, daft woman that I am.

Also, has anyone stayed at either of these hotels? Dare we rely on the all inclusive at the latter?

Thank you and sorry if I've made you fall asleep.

Fivepence
09-04-2013, 21:08
Two weeks today my husband and I are popping our Tenerife cherries. We got a good deal and are staying 7 nights at SunComfort California and then the next 7 in SunPrime Coral Suites as some friends are also flying over.

I have a few questions if you don't mind? I'm sure you get a crap tonne of dullsville questions like this so I understand if I'm swept aside. I will however track you down and force you to listen to Westlife as punishment.

Anyway, I've heard some bad things about burglaries in South Tenerife. I own my own business so even though I will be on holiday I need to take my laptop and camera to keep updated with my job? Dare I? Or should I bust a gut working before I go and stick to my phone for emails? I know it really is an anything could happen type question but I have no experience with large holiday resorts so I have no idea and like helpful words, daft woman that I am.

Also, has anyone stayed at either of these hotels? Dare we rely on the all inclusive at the latter?

Thank you and sorry if I've made you fall asleep.

Blimey..........:wow:

:welcome: to the forum ToodlePIP.

Can't help you with the accommodation question but others will be along soon.

Just look after your belongings as if everyone wants to steal them and you will be ok...............:whistle:

marbro8
09-04-2013, 21:24

Thank you and sorry if I've made you fall asleep.as 5p has said i can't help you with accommodation, but welcome to the forum and if you want to bring your lap top then i would, i bring my kindle and when i go out i put it in the safe, but as a laptop is usually larger then i would hide it in the washing machine covered with a few smelly socks and towels, a prospective thief would hardly look there;), i remember the days before safes we used to hide our pasports in the toaster:lol:

JaBBa
09-04-2013, 21:25
I own my own business so even though I will be on holiday I need to take my laptop and camera to keep updated with my job?

Not being from the island yet but stayed plenty of times,my only advice if you dont want to take your lappy is to use a internet cafe or most hotels i have stayed at have internet cafe of there own for a small charge,as for camera depends what quality of picture you need,i find most smart phones are up to the mark now....

Hope this helps

AL JAY
09-04-2013, 22:37
Welcome to the forum ToodlePIP!!! Both of your aparthotels are on the same street "Av Noelia Afonso Cabrera" In Centro PDLA i haven't stayed at either but have stayed at the Noelia Sur which is between the two,its a great location by the nearby Safari centre with its dancing fountains and shops and restaurantes! As far as i remember they have both been done up and the Coral suites in particular are usually expensive! Use the A/I to your own advantage but i would be eating/drinking out every night! At the rear of the Hotel Vulcano is the La Paz strip where you will find bars with great entertainment,Its also a nice short stroll to the start of Los Cris,head towards the Med Palace Mare Nostrum resort area 5 mins away and enjoy the delights of El Camison and Las Vistas beaches! :sunburn::party4::cheers::drunks2::cheers2::drunk:

pablo1
09-04-2013, 22:56
Perfect locations for both LA and LC with the nearest beach only a 5 minute walk and a multitude of bars restaurants on your front door. California is a dump, sorry to say but the coral suites are fine, they had a refurb a couple of years ago and the rooms are of a decent standard. Tenerife is no better or worse than any holiday destination in the world when it come to crime - as long as you don't leave your brain at the airport you'll be fine and have a great holiday. Tenerife is an amazing little island and the chances are you'll want to return again and again. Have fun :-)

penelope pitstop
07-05-2013, 19:44
PLEASE be VERY CAREFUL with what you take out with you, especially at night. My husband was mugged last year walking late at night along the Geranium Walk. Fortunately he had only taken his mobile phone with him, which was obviously stolen. He was kicked in the chin & had cracked ribs from the fall!
We are just grateful he had no money or jewellery with him & was not more badly hurt!
Having lived in Tenerife for 8yrs until 2009, this was our first bad experience, & hopefully it's the last.
We r back for a holiday next week & will be particularly careful. Please be on your guard too.

trevorife2
07-05-2013, 20:14
The california is wonderful now .. Last year we viewed the new rooms as the place was being refurbed . Its adult only yrs when ive stayed there 4 times before it was loud and full of young 18/30 types .. I reckon you willbe suprised what a nice place it now is ... As for the area there are plenty of bars and the ist one you will see is lazy days . Also just refurbed i had a few beers in there and the new owners are lovely as for the safety thing its just common sense . Rent a safe and enjoy your hols .. When we go back in september we will be at the noelia which is nice ..

junglejim
07-05-2013, 21:07
As long as you take proper precautions with your equipment you should be ok, but be cute about where you hide your laptop as itīs unlikely to fit in any safe -many bars and hotels have decent wifi so your phone might suffice .
The area you are in has a great selection of bars and entertainment within a few minutes walk as well as good shopping and restaurants .
Just make sure your insurance will cover your individual expensive items as a some policies only give a small sum unless covered specifically - might as well be prepared but donīt get concerned and ruin a great holiday!

slodgedad
07-05-2013, 22:12
Not just Tenerife.

Imagine going on holiday anywhere, next county, next country, next continent, next planet etc. etc.

Always keep your home head on.

Would you go to your local pub and leave your belongings unattended?

timmylish
08-05-2013, 02:56
This type of first thread by new members always leave me confused as the question is surely rhetorical, if the O/p has been anywhere on holiday be it in the UK or elsewhere. Year in and year out, the level of crime on Teneife is lesser than most other places in Western Europe. This has been my home for more than 23 years (or is it 25 now?) I have never had any criminal act against me, my partner, my married children and their kids and preciously my elderly parents. Now that amounts to some 30 odd adult tourists coming here a couple of times a year, staying in holiday accommodation. Paranoia ? No. I leave that to some football fans!
If the potential loss of a lap top is so much of a life and death situation then consider an alternative medium to do the work. Cameras go in a safe, a 10" laptop might also go in. A Tablet will also go in so, for the sakes of a couple of hundred quid, do the obvious. Don,t fancy your choice of accommodation when considering the vast amount of truly excellent places to stay, hotels etc.
I really hope you enjoy your holiday but do try to refrain from blaming other factors for any shortcomings!

princessmonika
08-05-2013, 07:56
ipad fits into the safe,

Bazz
08-05-2013, 09:38
Toodlepip hasn't been back on since posting, but as Trevorife has said California apartments have been refurbished and are much better now and Sunprime Coral Suites are excellent, having stayed there myself. They were completely refurbished a few years ago and are really good. Would not hesitate to recommend them!