PDA

View Full Version : Well said Glenda

Tom & Sharon
11-04-2013, 10:21
Loved this from Glenda Jackson this morning.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDtClJYJBj8&feature=share

karinagal
11-04-2013, 11:05
Loved this from Glenda Jackson this morning.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDtClJYJBj8&feature=share

Superb! (In my honest, but humble opinion) I couldn't have said it any better myself!

Angusjim
11-04-2013, 11:12
Superb! (In my honest, but humble opinion) I couldn't have said it any better myself!

She was always a great actress and continues to be one:bowdown: is she happy with the recent brilliant record of the Labour party they did a great job bankrupting the country with some wonderful policies. Politicians from all parties deserve each other they are all the same:(

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Well i,ll "POP" the champagne when Glenda Jackson goes the same way as Thatcher!!!!!!

Two wrongs don't make it right:(

karinagal
11-04-2013, 11:41
Ok, I'm going to make an observation here. This is my PERSONAL opinion of Baroness Thatcher:

Yes, she was democratically elected. I did not vote for her on her first term as I was not old enough to vote. I did not vote for her on her subsequent terms of office as I was diametrically opposed to her policies.

Love her or hate her, she will always have a place in British history as the first female prime minister. I will concede that AS the first female prime minister, she was probably of the view that she had to be stronger and harder than her male counterparts.

She increased the gap between the lower paid and the higher paid by raising the taxes of those who could least afford it and reducing the taxes of the higher paid creating the 'fat cat' culture.

I could go on but to be honest, I don't feel that I want to waste any more of my time on her. As I've said before, I will not shed any tears at her passing.

Sylla
11-04-2013, 11:57
I think it is very apt that Thatcher should die at this time , while our country and most of the world is in such a state , and we are now having this discussion about her legacy ... whether you are for her or against her..

Some got very rich due to her policies , some lost everything and now it seems that her policy of putting "eggs all in one basket " ie: relying on Banks to make the country rich back fired and has made our country poor ..( eggs and baskets being a grocers daughter should have known better !)

Whether she made you rich or poor we should look at the whole picture , those miners she called the enemy ! hard working underground kept our country going through war years as did many other manual workers ,, she had no experience of their lives and I take my hat of to those hard working people , who did have a community why shouldn't they be paid a good wage ? more deserving than any banker !

Instead of Cameron and Co. singing her praises at this time when his party is falling apart and all the others not much better ...they have the chance now to put aside their selfish beleives and discuss what went wrong all those years ago that sowed the seeds of today ... I am a firm believer that truth always wins in the end ! might take years and decades , but just look what is coming out now with so many issues ...

Bring it on and let us all learn what she did right and what she did wrong ? :respect:

Sylla

karinagal
11-04-2013, 12:12
Sylla Very well said!

LUCKY
11-04-2013, 12:36
Well i,ll "POP" the champagne when Glenda Jackson goes the same way as Thatcher!!!!!!

I agree with andyfm.

Red Devil
11-04-2013, 14:36
Hmmm its all perception isnt it, no-one is right or wrong.
I well remember the late 70's and early 80's.
I remember the over confidence of the public sector unions, puffed up and full of themselves after years of holding the country to ransom with their ever increasing strikes and ridiculous wage demands and the labour party under Wilson and then Callaghan constantly caving in to their demands.
I remember the constant strikes from all and sundry, the council grave diggers on strike so no-one could be buried, bags and bags of rubbish overflowing on the streets cos the binmen went on strike, power cuts for hours on end so sat in the dark with no tv and just a few candles lit, seem to remember even the fire service striking and "green goddess'" having to be used, manned by the army.
Miners did have a terrible job, but they were reasonably well paid for it, unfortunately Scargill thought he was invincible and that he could make demands to the Government forever, when Thatcher was elected she had the backing of most of the country who were sick of all the strikes, so she had to win.
There were no secret ballots so it was terribly difficult for individual miners to vote against the unions demands and the miners were led to believe they could break the government but they didnt. Scargill has a lot to answer for.
I worked in a nationalised industry (Gas Board) and I loved my job, we had a whale of a time, but customer service was non existent, gas fitters were sent to a repair when we felt like it, bosses wandered around doing nothing and we instructed our union to request rises of 10% or so on an annual basis!
It took 3 months to have a phone installed, trains were dirty and unreliable and customer service really didnt exist as after all, there was nowhere else we could take our business to!
Things really did have to change and they did. Harshly for some, but there really was no alternative for our country.
As for people saying things are bad now, I suggest they look back at the 13 years of mis-management recently under a Labour government and ask the questions of them instead of blaming a strong, brave woman of 30 years ago.
The bile and indignation of the young nowadays is because they are have a skewed vision of what life was actually like before Mrs Thatcher took control.

junglejim
11-04-2013, 15:03
I also remember those days and Thatcher lumping Scotland with the poll tax - biggest mistake the Tories ever made in Scotland !
But itīs nice to see they have changed their attitude to democracy in Scotland if Stewart Jacksonīs tweets are anything to go bye - they will never change!

http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/5431/53435436607347351152012.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/801/53435436607347351152012.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

YOUNG GOLFER
11-04-2013, 15:56
Glenda Jackson the actress/MP at the age of 77 yrs looking for her 3rd Oscar lol

Tom & Sharon
11-04-2013, 16:56
I remember the over confidence of the public sector unions, puffed up and full of themselves after years of holding the country to ransom with their ever increasing strikes and ridiculous wage demands and the labour party under Wilson and then Callaghan constantly caving in to their demands.
I remember the constant strikes from all and sundry, the council grave diggers on strike so no-one could be buried, bags and bags of rubbish overflowing on the streets cos the binmen went on strike, power cuts for hours on end so sat in the dark with no tv and just a few candles lit, seem to remember even the fire service striking and "green goddess'" having to be used, manned by the army.
Miners did have a terrible job, but they were reasonably well paid for it, unfortunately Scargill thought he was invincible and that he could make demands to the Government forever, when Thatcher was elected she had the backing of most of the country who were sick of all the strikes, so she had to win.
There were no secret ballots so it was terribly difficult for individual miners to vote against the unions demands and the miners were led to believe they could break the government but they didnt. Scargill has a lot to answer for.
I worked in a nationalised industry (Gas Board) and I loved my job, we had a whale of a time, but customer service was non existent, gas fitters were sent to a repair when we felt like it, bosses wandered around doing nothing and we instructed our union to request rises of 10% or so on an annual basis!
It took 3 months to have a phone installed, trains were dirty and unreliable and customer service really didnt exist as after all, there was nowhere else we could take our business to!
Things really did have to change and they did. Harshly for some, but there really was no alternative for our country.
As for people saying things are bad now, I suggest they look back at the 13 years of mis-management recently under a Labour government and ask the questions of them instead of blaming a strong, brave woman of 30 years ago.
The bile and indignation of the young nowadays is because they are have a skewed vision of what life was actually like before Mrs Thatcher took control.

So did I,you must have worked in a different region than me as I never worked as hard as I did in my 31 yrs at British Gas, Transco then National Grid Gas ;):liar:

ciderhunter
11-04-2013, 17:36
I cannot help wondering if these people celebrating are the same people who hide behind the banner 'Respect'.

junglejim
11-04-2013, 17:48
Respect has to be earned - in my opinion she never got close to earning it the way she treated Scotland !

Red Devil
11-04-2013, 18:09
So did I,you must have worked in a different region than me as I never worked as hard as I did in my 31 yrs at British Gas, Transco then National Grid Gas ;):liar:
North West region, but left before privatisation. Didnt say we didnt work hard when necessary, such as during North sea gas conversion, but cant say we were particularly customer focused. Why the liar smiley?

Sylla
11-04-2013, 18:23
I cannot help wondering if these people celebrating are the same people who hide behind the banner 'Respect'.

I do really hope Ciderhunter you are not refering to me /mypost no:6 where I have used the icon "respect" My post is written respectfully with observations and questions certainly I was not a fan of Thatcher , but she took on a difficult job , but although some of her policies had their good points , she didn't think them through , ( bit like Cameron today ) what was going to be the outcome of all those unemployed , the housing stock not being replaced . There will always be low paid workers who need these who are the backbone of this country ..we cannot do without them as we could do without a few greedy bankers and the yuppies of her day ..

I did not suffer that much in her reign , but did have a hard time when interest rates went to 23% for commercial when starting our own business , a very "hairy" time .. and she cut Uni Students to half in the middle of their studies ..(My son was one of them ) but these are minor to what happened to the many .

A wise politician seeks not to divide but to bring together and to look beyond what their actions will bring to all the people not just to a few and looking at the outcome those decisions might bring .

Angusjim
11-04-2013, 18:33
I do really hope Ciderhunter you are not refering to me /mypost no:6 where I have used the icon "respect" My post is written respectfully with observations and questions certainly I was not a fan of Thatcher , but she took on a difficult job , but although some of her policies had their good points , she didn't think them through , ( bit like Cameron today ) what was going to be the outcome of all those unemployed , the housing stock not being replaced . There will always be low paid workers who need these who are the backbone of this country ..we cannot do without them as we could do without a few greedy bankers and the yuppies of her day ..

I did not suffer that much in her reign , but did have a hard time when interest rates went to 23% for commercial when starting our own business , a very "hairy" time .. and she cut Uni Students to half in the middle of their studies ..(My son was one of them ) but these are minor to what happened to the many .

A wise politician seeks not to divide but to bring together and to look beyond what their actions will bring to all the people not just to a few and looking at the outcome those decisions might bring .

Fancy meaning less words but which politician has manged this in the last 30 years please enlighten me, there are all the same nose in the trough feeding away whether they are Labour / Tory / Lib Dem / or in Scotland the dreaded SNP

warbey
11-04-2013, 18:38
How long has this Person been an M.P. This is the first time I.ve heard of her in Politics....

Says it all, doesn't it.?

Sylla
11-04-2013, 18:41
Fancy meaning less words but which politician has manged this in the last 30 years please enlighten me, there are all the same nose in the trough feeding away whether they are Labour / Tory / Lib Dem / or in Scotland the dreaded SNP

Totally agree and they get worse cos they just keep getting away with it ....I think they call it "learning the lessons" !:agree:

ciderhunter
11-04-2013, 18:52

I was certainly not referring to your post Sylla, but to a Blairism.

Harmonicaman
11-04-2013, 19:20
Tories are a toxic brand in Scotland and will be for many a year yet. Just making an observation...

Sylla
11-04-2013, 19:57
I was certainly not referring to your post Sylla, but to a Blairism.

LOL ! don't get us started on him ...next chapter !:grrrr:

Tom & Sharon
11-04-2013, 22:32
North West region, but left before privatisation. Didnt say we didnt work hard when necessary, such as during North sea gas conversion, but cant say we were particularly customer focused. Why the liar smiley?

NWGB as well,perhaps I was telling a small white lie ;)

Red Devil
11-04-2013, 22:44
NWGB as well,perhaps I was telling a small white lie ;)

NWGB really? I was there 1966 to 1983, Bury, Bolton & Radcliffe, happy days indeed.

junglejim
12-04-2013, 04:51
"Politicians are a toxic brand in Scotland and will be for many a year yet. Just making an observation... "

Fixed that for you Harmonicaman ! :flatcap::twak:

Rodders
12-04-2013, 08:52

Spot on Red Devil.
FACT: More pits closed under the Wilson government than under Thatcher. RIP Maggie.

Angusjim
12-04-2013, 12:51
"Politicians are a toxic brand in Scotland and will be for many a year yet. Just making an observation... "

Fixed that for you Harmonicaman ! :flatcap::twak:

What even our wee Alex a prince amongst men:D:bowdown:

junglejim
12-04-2013, 13:48
What even our wee Alex a prince amongst men:D:bowdown:
Our immenseness ?

golf birdie
12-04-2013, 14:55
Spot on Red Devil.
FACT: More pits closed under the Wilson government than under Thatcher. RIP Maggie.

businesses will always close, its not the fact of them closing its the way it was done. Most miners knew they needed to close pits but there was no need to throw a whole generation on the scrap heap with little or no help.

kathml
12-04-2013, 17:30
As an aside wasn't it Gordon brown freeing up the banks that had a lot to do with the banking crisis remember mrs thatcher ceased to be prime minister in the eighties

Sylla
12-04-2013, 18:00
I really don't think we can blame Gordon for America ( where it all started ) Cyprus ... Spain ... Greece ...Italy ( haven't they still got ship building and cars ? why are they in trouble) ? Portugal .... . Iceland ... who have I left out ... ?

I think it was Thatcher that de-regulated the Banks and allowed Building Societies to become Banks (big Mistake )

Gordon wanted to bring in the Off Shore tax dodgers , but I expect as it went quiet he was shouted down ! didn't want him killing off the "Golden Goose" !

The whole Banking system around the world was crooked and needed sorting out ,, as were the Governments .

Red Devil
12-04-2013, 18:34
Thought it was the Labour government who deregulated the banks in the late 90's?

Sylla
12-04-2013, 19:58
I believe this article explains a lot .. and how a lot of people are to blame ... :smackbutt:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2011/oct/09/big-bang-1986-city-deregulation-boom-bust

AL JAY
13-04-2013, 14:58
Frankie Boyle ‏@frankieboyle 58s on twitter

:hide:I was all for a lavishly funded public cremation for Thatcher. Right up until she died.

Mawkin
13-04-2013, 15:10
Frankie Boyle ‏@frankieboyle 58s on twitter

:hide:I was all for a lavishly funded public cremation for Thatcher. Right up until she died.

That would never have happened as she had already closed all the furnaces to avoid such a thing.