PDA

View Full Version : Back up your computer before it's too late!

Suej
12-04-2013, 14:14
My sad story!:doh:

Turned my lappy on the other day and noticed it didn't seem very well, turned it off and then on again but it wouldn't wake up!:cry: I tried some first aid but nothing worked so called Dr Tenerife Teddy he came to examine my lappy and felt it was serious so whizzed it off to intensive care! After further investigations it turned out my lappy had suffered a fatal attack and the hard drive had failed I asked how could that be it's so young it's only 22 months old!!!:wow:he transplanted a new hard drive and the lappy is now responding to treatment and gradually recovering it's memory and is responding to new programs but now has irretrievable brain damage and has forgotten everything from before! I had never backed up the poor thing's data so all of it's past is totally lost! My lappy is coming home tomorrow and I have promised Dr TT that I will perform the correct after care and back it up regularly! it means plugging it in to an external hard drive but worth it if it is going to survive!:)

Moral of my story is Back up today before you lose your best mate! :typing:

:hello:

junglejim
12-04-2013, 14:23
Yes SueJ-I think I mentioned before when you were having issues to back up .
Last week my lappie wouldn´t start up (same day Maggie died -spooky or what ?) ,checked various things out with some advice from my son but it became clear startup programmes and bootup were hopelessly corrupted ,though Hard Drive was ok.
I had previously used back up function on external drive to backup so did a restore and after a couple of hours is back again and just a matter of adding a few new files from storage .
Strong moral is backup!

Suej
12-04-2013, 14:32
Yes SueJ-I think I mentioned before when you were having issues to back up .
Last week my lappie wouldn´t start up (same day Maggie died -spooky or what ?) ,checked various things out with some advice from my son but it became clear startup programmes and bootup were hopelessly corrupted ,though Hard Drive was ok.
I had previously used back up function on external drive to backup so did a restore and after a couple of hours is back again and just a matter of adding a few new files from storage .
Strong moral is backup!

Keep it to yourself JJ but being blonde I didn't know how to do a back up! I do remember your advice but that was for an old spare XP lappy! since then I removed most of the stuff on it and now backed up on to a stick what little there is on it! OH mainly uses this old XP one for streaming footy etc. TT is going to show me how to do a scheduled back up on my Windows 7 lappy when he brings it back tomorrow! Can't believe how much data I have lost forever! :ashamed:

junglejim
12-04-2013, 17:55
Yer gonna need a bigger stick!

warbey
12-04-2013, 18:03
These 1 or 2 TB Drives seem well worth considering these Days, as Desk Top back-up

Suej
12-04-2013, 18:06
Yer gonna need a bigger stick!

:lol:

I have bought an external Hard drive that has the same capacity as my windows 7 lappy!:angel3:

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

These 1 or 2 TB Drives seem well worth considering these Days, as Desk Top back-up

You're just trying to confuse me now aren't you Warbs! what's a TB drive when it's at 'ome?eek2:

warbey
12-04-2013, 18:16
:lol:

I have bought an external Hard drive that has the same capacity as my windows 7 lappy!:angel3:

You're just trying to confuse me now aren't you Warbs! what's a TB drive when it's at 'ome?eek2:

I think it's One Hundred Megabytes.... Holds a lot anyway..

TenerifeTeddy
12-04-2013, 18:22
I think it's One Hundred Megabytes.... Holds a lot anyway..

A Terabyte is 1024 Gigabytes (Gb) , about 928Gb of which is available after Windows NTFS formatting.:D

MrsTT
13-04-2013, 17:49
I now have a hard drive which is programmed to back up the computer at the Centre and every week I take it down and plug it in. I lost a hard drive of memories a long time ago, before Dr TT became a computer whizz. Just after we met actually. So that was a nasty experience and gives me the incentive to feel it is well worth the time it takes nowadays to ensure I make back ups!:lol:

KirstyJay
13-04-2013, 18:02
I invested in a 500GB one of THESE (http://www.maxtor.com/content/data_sheet/en_ot4_ds.pdf) a few years ago from Carrefour in Santa Cruz. You can set it to backup at a set time every day or week, or whatever. You can se it to back up your entire HDD or only selected folders. It was about 75€ when I bought it, so I'm sure you will be able to get a better version now.

slodgedad
13-04-2013, 18:31
I invested in a 500GB one of THESE (http://www.maxtor.com/content/data_sheet/en_ot4_ds.pdf) a few years ago from Carrefour in Santa Cruz. You can set it to backup at a set time every day or week, or whatever. You can se it to back up your entire HDD or only selected folders. It was about 75€ when I bought it, so I'm sure you will be able to get a better version now.
They are a lot cheaper now, especiallyin the UK.

I paid 39 quid for 500 Gb in Asda last November.

Santiago
13-04-2013, 22:35
A spare desktop hard drive is very handy, especially if you copy information as well as backup the whole caboodle. I also have a laptop as well as my desktop and transfer copies of my business files onto this as well so that I can access them immediately when required. There is nothing worse than that horrible sick feeling when you try to switch on and nothing happens!

penelope pitstop
13-04-2013, 23:57
Was the 22 month old computer not under a warranty?

I find the best back up is the free dropbox, it does the back ups automatically.

TenerifeTeddy
14-04-2013, 00:02

I find the best back up is the free dropbox, it does the back ups automatically.

Repairing the laptop under warranty would not have recovered the data, which was the main problem here, but simply replaced the hard drive with a new one.
In this instance the hard drive has failed, and the data was unrecoverable.

KirstyJay
14-04-2013, 00:32
I find the best back up is the free dropbox, it does the back ups automatically.Dropbox is great if you only have 5GB of data that you need to backup. Some of my design files are knocking on 1GB just for one file, so if you have 100s of them dropbox is not an option. Media files also tend to be large, so if you have lots of photos, videos, music, etc then dropbox simply isn't enough. I use dropbox and google drive to sync files I use often in many locations or if I want to transfer stuff to a different machine, however for backups, an external HDD is the only option.

penelope pitstop
14-04-2013, 09:14
I don't have a lot to store so Dropbox is fine for me. We do have an external hard but don't understand how it works, as simple as it may seem to the computer literate, which we r not! Going to take a course soon!

Suej
14-04-2013, 10:50

I also use dropbox for a few personal things! (that reminds me I better download it again! it's on my Tablet also! apart from some photos I had mostly business files on my laptop! except for a very small amount of data which a friend had already put on the Ex hard drive about two years ago I lost everything!:( and Santiago I did have a sick feeling when I was told that nothing could be retrieved! I wanted to cry tbh! That's why I put the thread on! I think so many of us realise too late the seriousness of not backing up our computers! or am I one of only a few? The lappy is still under guarantee but needed it back pretty quick so the expense was worth it! Tenerife Teddy put back windows in English (Acer would only have put the Spanish version) and all the essentials for me! On windows 7 it is quite easy to do a back up I now have mine to back up every monday all I need to remember is to plug the Ex HD in! It will take weeks to sort out all the other things but I have learnt my lesson and it won't happen again! :wink2:

They are a lot cheaper now, especiallyin the UK.

I paid 39 quid for 500 Gb in Asda last November.

I think I paid about 35€ when PC city was closing down in Las Chafiras it's original price was 70€! the last few days they had a half price sale of stock! shame I didn't learn how to use it!:doh: