PDA

View Full Version : What foods do you remember from childhood?

Red Devil
14-04-2013, 23:37
When I was growing up in Yorkshire a big treat was having an "elephants foot" from the local cake shop.
Anyone remember them? It was a sort of big choux pastry squashy thing filled with artificial cream, fresh cream wasn't really used then but I loved them, also Sally Lunns were good. What are your favourites from when you were a kid?

AL JAY
15-04-2013, 00:06
1] Farleys Rusks in a bowl with hot milk

2] Ovaltine

3] Chocstix [about a foot long candy twist hard toffee with chocolate down the centre]

4] Gala pie [ham & egg] with Picalilli dip

5] Force cereal

*Plays Hovis advert in my mind* :wink2:

slodgedad
15-04-2013, 00:09
I know this sounds wierd but I couldn't think of anything.

I asked her indoors (from West Yorkshire, BTW) the same question, without mentioning your choices and she said exactly the same thing.

Business opportunity here for someone?

Malteser Monkey
15-04-2013, 08:48
1] Farleys Rusks in a bowl with hot milk

2] Ovaltine

3] Chocstix [about a foot long candy twist hard toffee with chocolate down the centre]

4] Gala pie [ham & egg] with Picalilli dip

5] Force cereal

*Plays Hovis advert in my mind* :wink2:

Ohhh Farleys lovely yes and I still have Ovaltin - the original made with hot milk.

Spam from the butchers - used to love it

and Fisherman's friends - when we had a sore throat, and Malt !

Margaretta
15-04-2013, 08:51
Pink blancmange and junket.
You could buy packets of junket but mum would make it with a bottle of rennet, raspberry or lemon flavouring and milk. It had to be gently warmed and then it separated into curds and whey. Funny texture but delicious.

Leam_Lin
15-04-2013, 08:56
All the fresh veg from my dad's garden, radish planted between the potato rows,we used to pull them out & rub the earth off with our fingers, peas in pods, stick of rhubarb with sugar.

Red Devil
15-04-2013, 08:56
I know this sounds wierd but I couldn't think of anything.

I asked her indoors (from West Yorkshire, BTW) the same question, without mentioning your choices and she said exactly the same thing.

Business opportunity here for someone?
Must be from same parts as me then - relatives in Sheffield for the slices of Sally Lunns with butter on and Shipley/Baildon for my cakes!
Oh and Squirrels dolly mixtures!

primrose
15-04-2013, 09:06
Pink blancmange and junket.
You could buy packets of junket but mum would make it with a bottle of rennet, raspberry or lemon flavouring and milk. It had to be gently warmed and then it separated into curds and whey. Funny texture but delicious.

I love pink blancmange and have bought it in Tenerife. The hard ha'penny Spanish dipped in rainbow crystals, Triple Tops Biscuits which were a layer of biscuit then mint cream and covered with dark chocolate, and I also loved an Elephants Foot.

Red Devil
15-04-2013, 13:54
I used to eat sugar sandwiches, slices of apple dipped in sugar and jelly on toast as my mum only bought biscuits once a week as a treat.
Amazing I still have teeth!

AL JAY
15-04-2013, 14:08
Remember the Jubbly Orange drink that you put in the freezer! You can still buy them but are much smaller!

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-KezbkkKSh8U/T4VNiijQRXI/AAAAAAAAAWA/AwZNTFJ2lDY/s1600/fd_jubblyoj.gif&imgrefurl=http://cassam-isanyonethere.blogspot.com/2012/04/j-is-for-jackie-and-jubbly.html&h=240&w=250&sz=16&tbnid=XnhsIW5DVlwLRM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=94&prev=/search%3Fq%3Djubbly%2Bice%2Blollies%2Bwiki%26tbm%3 Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=jubbly+ice+lollies+wiki&usg=__qOrgylq56c4nLFcHOLZQsVNnYdE=&docid=Qnoy3TXMJF9gNM&sa=X&ei=m_prUe_oIMi7PZvagMgH&ved=0CHMQ9QEwDA&dur=325

YOUNG GOLFER
15-04-2013, 14:08
Rabbit almost every day..........

Malteser Monkey
15-04-2013, 14:19
I used to eat sugar sandwiches, slices of apple dipped in sugar and jelly on toast as my mum only bought biscuits once a week as a treat.
Amazing I still have teeth!

I thought they were false :D

OMG really ? never had it

Red Devil
15-04-2013, 14:23
Almost every day? How come? :D
Used to hate rabbit stew, it was those weird bones you kept finding.

YOUNG GOLFER
15-04-2013, 14:38
Almost every day? How come? :D
Used to hate rabbit stew, it was those weird bones you kept finding.

Did not help having parents who could not be arsed to work for a living ......mind you had a good dog and a ferret and a few nets.

Malteser Monkey
15-04-2013, 14:40
Did not help having parents who could not be arsed to work for a living ......mind you had a good dog and a ferret and a few nets.

dog and ferret too :scared: - oooo don't tell LUCKY :D

Megaloo
15-04-2013, 14:58
1p Buzz bar on my way to school.

AL JAY
15-04-2013, 15:07
Penny Arrow bars and 4 for a Penny Walkers Toffee's! :yum:

Angusjim
15-04-2013, 15:15
Ah for those caviar baps :yum:

Malteser Monkey
15-04-2013, 15:19
Ah for those caviar baps :yum:

I suppose that translates as Haggis ? as no Scot I know would fork out for Caviar:hide::cheeky:

marbro8
15-04-2013, 18:38
Rabbit almost every day..........with squirrel and hedgehog pie, depending on how good a driver dad was on the day:D, i remember dripping on toast covered in salt:yum, and dipping some bread in the juices of the sunday roast as it was cooking:yum:, it's a wonder i ain't had a stroke already:lol:, i remember gran used to come from work in her dinner hour in the 6 weeks school hols and bring me manchester tart with custard, and when they used to keep pigs my grandad's favorite used to be pigs brains on toast:v3:

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Amazing I still have teeth!my wife loved sugar sandwiches and apple sandwiches:lol:, if i was making a sandwich as a kid and i got sugar on it i would throw it away and make another:lol:

warbey
15-04-2013, 19:22
Anything and Everything We could get during WW11.

Ration Books meant You got very little.

Purple Dyed Potatoes ( for Livestock). Often better than Humans got.

Powdered Egg, when Ships arrived in Liverpool, without being sunk on the way.

The simplest things were the best.!

Later on, I still fondly remember "Spare Ribs", boiled, with Mashed Potatoes and Spring Cabbage..

Malteser Monkey
15-04-2013, 21:52
with squirrel and hedgehog pie, depending on how good a driver dad was on the day:D, i remember dripping on toast covered in salt:yum, and dipping some bread in the juices of the sunday roast as it was cooking:yum:, it's a wonder i ain't had a stroke already:lol:, i remember gran used to come from work in her dinner hour in the 6 weeks school hols and bring me manchester tart with custard, and when they used to keep pigs my grandad's favorite used to be pigs brains on toast:v3:

my wife loved sugar sandwiches and apple sandwiches:lol:, if i was making a sandwich as a kid and i got sugar on it i would throw it away and make another:lol:

Anything and Everything We could get during WW11.

Ration Books meant You got very little.

Purple Dyed Potatoes ( for Livestock). Often better than Humans got.

Powdered Egg, when Ships arrived in Liverpool, without being sunk on the way.

The simplest things were the best.!

Later on, I still fondly remember "Spare Ribs", boiled, with Mashed Potatoes and Spring Cabbage..

Here we go again - I'm on a forum of ol' fogies..........off for me ovaltine:snooze::grufalo:

sundownersvince
15-04-2013, 22:17
Tapioca pudding for school dinners, yuk. We used to call it frog spawn.

slodgedad
16-04-2013, 01:01
Tapioca pudding for school dinners, yuk. We used to call it frog spawn.

Ahh, school dinners in the 50s and 60s....Special times....

No chips, pizzas, burgers.

Probably why kids today are fatter than we over 50s ever were.

I was lucky enough to be elected table monitor (glorified waiter) but was in control of our table's food.

(Swap you my pud for your spuds. Swap you my spuds for your tapioca...etc. etc.)

Main eal of the day then.

sundownersvince
16-04-2013, 10:31
I dunno, from table monitor to forum monitor. Life goes on........

Malteser Monkey
16-04-2013, 10:48
I dunno, from table monitor to forum monitor. Life goes on........

:crylaughing:

the little tins of beans and sausages - on toast :yum:

had to edit this quickly - I mean opening the tin and eating the contents not the tin:laugh:

slodgedad
16-04-2013, 18:10
:crylaughing:

the little tins of beans and sausages - on toast :yum:

had to edit this quickly - I mean opening the tin and eating the contents not the tin:laugh:

You can still get them in Iceland. I've got a couple of tins in my cupboard

warbey
16-04-2013, 18:50
6 penneth of Chips wrapped in Newspaper..

if any money left, a still warm Loaf from the Bread Shop to eat with them

Result = Indigestion.....

slodgedad
16-04-2013, 19:12
I can still remember fish and chips for 11pence. (Not 11p) but a penny short of a bob. (4 and a half pence)

Thrupence for the chips and eightpence for the fish.

If my mum cooked a pie or whatever she used to send us down the chippie for a bob's worth of chips to go with it and that fed the 4 of us.

Wages were a bit lower then though. Only bank managers and suchlike earned double figures.

Megaloo
16-04-2013, 19:37
Condensed milk sandwiches.................... no wonder my teeth are a problem?

Terrynsue
16-04-2013, 19:43
Sugar sarnies, jubbly's,penny chews, lucky bags,bread and tea (slice of bread broken up into a mug of sweet tea), :wave:

warbey
16-04-2013, 19:48
Remember Liquorice Root...Woody stuff it was too......?

Terrynsue
16-04-2013, 20:00
yes liquorice roots, ued to spit it out like the miners with thier baccy, Mother used to give us yorkie pud with gravy before Sunday dinner which filled us up and we had no room for the rest of the meal

Malteser Monkey
16-04-2013, 22:05
You can still get them in Iceland. I've got a couple of tins in my cupboard

Oh I missed them in the 90's

yother used to give us yorkie pud with gravy before Sunday dinner which filled us up and we had no room for the rest of the meal

Oh My God - I have been going on about that as my God mother, Edna, used to do that - my childgood days in London with Yorkshire godparents

they were in oblong trays not round and in dripping Ohhhh LOL thanks for that Terrynsue

Santiago
16-04-2013, 22:28
Bread and dripping was one of my favourites. Oh, and Camp coffee with chickory which was very sweet. Then there were aniseed balls which made your tongue go numb and Bluebird licorice toffees which made it go black. In the school holidays we used to make toffee which would go absolutely solid when it cooled and you had to break it up with a hammer. It couldn't be chewed so you had to suck it which probably kept us quiet for hours!! A big favourite was my Uncle Jack's jellies as they were always violently coloured and tasted of absolutely nothing. Yes, I liked the blancmange too and my Mum had moulds she put both blancmange and jelly in and they looked like rabbits, or castles, etc., when they were turned out onto the plate. There were also things called jelly creams which were like jelly underneath with a sort of creamy crust on top. Gosh, I can taste them all now!

primrose
16-04-2013, 23:02
Spanish juice made with ha'penny spanish broke up and put in an old medicine bottle and filled with water, put on a shelf under the stairs till the spanish melted,I still don't know why you had to put it in a dark place because it would have melted eventually where ever you put it, Parched peas with lots of salt and vinegar and a penny loaf on the way back from swimming on a Saturday morning,Toast broke into pieces in a big mug of Bovril which I still have now and my favourite a bag of ready salted crisp in a dish with milk on.

AL JAY
17-04-2013, 00:31
Remember Liquorice Root...Woody stuff it was too......?

Yeah we used to call it Sticky-lice! Used to like the licorice box on the counter,there was a round one like a rolled up tape measure with a small gobstopper in the centre! Scluuuuurrrrp:yum:

YOUNG GOLFER
17-04-2013, 00:37
yes liquorice roots, ued to spit it out like the miners with thier baccy, Mother used to give us yorkie pud with gravy before Sunday dinner which filled us up and we had no room for the rest of the meal

Sorry well off topic but noticed you are from Torquay I was there10 days ago watching my son who. Plays for the 1st team a great day out.

Oops forgot to add the cockles beat newton Abbott 20 / 19 happy days from a very happy dad.

Redips
17-04-2013, 08:38
Every fourth Sunday as children we used to visit my Auntie, we used to stay for Sunday tea which always seemed to be the same format, it consisted of sandwiches which were very short of filling and curled up at the edges this was followed by green jelly with banana suspended in it and covered in evaporated milk, now I don't like banana or tinned evaporated milk but Auntie insisted it must be eaten by all, consequently I spent the remainder of these Sunday's in the toilet, it also meant if you didn't eat your jelly and banana you were not allowed the final course of pop and cake, needless to say I never did manage to get to the cake stage.

jackanory
17-04-2013, 15:46
On the way home from school (walking) we used to buy bags of broken Smiths crisps..These bags were stuffed full and cost 1 old pence.

longtallalice
17-04-2013, 16:19
used to love manchester tart , only good thing about school dinners ! also used to love the penny tray in local newsagents with flying saucers, fruit salad, black jacks,sherbert dips and gobstoppers, cant get owt for a penny now lol

Bobby
17-04-2013, 16:43
Dried egg that when it was made up was like a pancake. cheese sandwich fried with a fried egg on it. My waist was smaller in those days!

tracy hampshire
17-04-2013, 17:23
here i go, at school it was jammie dodgers & potato puffs from the tuck shop, my mum hated cooking so it was tinned chicken soup & salmon paste sandwiches for lunch, a strange but yummy combination, then for tea it was either a pan full of sausage & a bread loaf on the table ( my favorite tomato sausage) or we waited for dad to come home with brawn, dripping or if he he d had a good day T bone steak ( dad was a bookie), never remember much veg as a kid, unless it was a frozen stew pack thrown in the oven with a rabbit ( mums cordon blu ) & finally vimto & dandilion & burdock from the local shop, think thats it for now lol

Malteser Monkey
17-04-2013, 19:43
I concur it's an old foggies forum :D:twak:

marbro8
17-04-2013, 19:55
I concur it's an old foggies forum :D:twak:then have some respect young lady:laugh::cheeky:

warbey
17-04-2013, 20:06
Remember Cadbury's Misshapes. ? Luxury Food they were.!